IGNORED

Article about Jerry Falwell Jr

turquoise

2 hours ago, Jencendiary said:

So, did he fuck the personal trainer? Did the wife? Was he hot for it?

Maybe only the pool boy knows for sure.

Re: FBI. Bet this is total fiction. As @Palimpsest said, though, Jerry might regret calling in the feds if he actually did so. There'd be nothing to prevent the FBI from referring matters at LU to the IRS or any other federal agency with competent jurisdiction.

Edited by hoipolloi
Fixed typo
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-falwell-emails-exclusive/exclusive-falwell-blasted-liberty-student-as-retarded-police-chief-as-half-wit-in-emails-idUSKCN1VX1QJ

This article is mostly about Falwell Jr calling students and staff denigrating names.

There is so much (IMO) involved in this whole mess - and I have found all of it very disturbing. I guess I would say because of the extreme hypocrisy, the me-me-me-me-first attitudes and behaviors, and not least because of the politics. As a practical point, I would say that his influence sway enough professing Christians to swing the outcome of the 2016 election.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 5
  • Love 1

@hoipolloi, re Liberty U spewing money hither and yon to lots of people—

Let me share a heartwarming tale from here in my own small New England city:

In 1999, a man named Will Marotti held a small prayer group of half a dozen people in his living room. A few years later, they bought the site of a local drug store and transformed it into “New Life: A church for people who don’t like church!” In short order, they absorbed a local mainstream Baptist church and started having lavish Christmas and Easter services at a huge nearby concert venue. Marotti also became the “spiritual advisor” to disgraced ex-Governor John G. Rowland, who spent 2005 in the slammer for being a crook and thrown out of office, and they later co-hosted a radio show called “Church and State.” By 2012, New Life had miraculously purchased and moved into a $5M recreation venue. (Rowland landed back in the slammer in 2015.)

Marotti learned at the knee of Jerry Falwell Sr. Cherchez l’argent.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

@Hane -- the New Life pestilence has spread far & wide. My city is way far away from New England but New Life has franchises here. Not sure of the actual history or if they're connected to the Marotti-founded entities, but they appeared on the scene sometime in the 1990s.

As a reminder, Jerry Falwell Sr may not have been the out-and-out crook that Jerry Jr is, but he totally supported George Wallace. Also, don't forget his & Pat Robertson's infamous comments blaming LGBTQ folks, the ACLU, feminists, & abortionists for 9-11. 

In many ways, the Jr apple hasn't fallen from the Sr tree.

Edited by hoipolloi
Fixed formatting & added clarity
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

@hoipolloi, strangely enough, there isn’t a syllable about Falwell or Liberty U on the local New Life website. A friend’s sister, who attends services there, says her pastor tells the congregation to vote Republican, “but I just ignore that.”

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Hane said:

@hoipolloi, strangely enough, there isn’t a syllable about Falwell or Liberty U on the local New Life website. A friend’s sister, who attends services there, says her pastor tells the congregation to vote Republican, “but I just ignore that.”

These churches need to lose their tax exemptions.

Some time ago I played a gig at a "patriotic dinner" sponsored by a local church, although not held at the church. The dinner featured right-wing luminaries as guests and speakers, along with a life-size cutout photo of Cheetolini. My check was written on a church account. How this is remotely legal, I have no idea.

I needed the money--that's why I agreed to do the gig in the first place, although in my defense I had no idea just how awful it was going to be--but I donated 25% of my fee to Beto for senate. It still felt dirty though.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 6

Back when I was an evangelical, the mega church we attended set aside the weekend before 7/4 for a “patriotic service” - including god bless America music, battle hymns of all five branches of the service, and conservative politician headliners as special guest speakers. The lead pastor was an ex-Green Beret, and had tons of famous contacts (I think General Boykin was one. I know it was an infamous, outspoken general).

Towards the late 00s they started very boldly preaching that recommending how members vote wasn’t at actually grounds for losing their nonprofit status. I wish I could remember what the reasoning was, bc it was wacky. They always passed out copies of the Christian Voters Guide every election, in the lobby.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

There is a student protest going on at Liberty right now. I would say that the protesting students are quite courageous because I figure they will suffer consequences from the school.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, apple1 said:

There is a student protest going on at Liberty right now. I would say that the protesting students are quite courageous because I figure they will suffer consequences from the school.

They will.  It’s less repressive there in some ways that when I attended in the nineties.  But in other ways it is far more repressive.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, apple1 said:

That is awesome. I’ve been fearing that this will blow over without Falwell facing some repercussions.

Has anyone seen how conservative or religious outlets are covering this? Or are they ignoring it?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 9/12/2019 at 2:35 PM, hoipolloi said:

@Hane -- the New Life pestilence has spread far & wide. My city is way far away from New England but New Life has franchises here. Not sure of the actual history or if they're connected to the Marotti-founded entities, but they appeared on the scene sometime in the 1990's . 

There might be different unrelated churches with the same name .  The New Life Church I am most familiar with was the site of this shooting .  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Colorado_YWAM_and_New_Life_shootings   

Edited by Marmion
  • Thank You 3

5 hours ago, apple1 said:

Even suppressed, guilt riddled college students can generate a lot of pissed off energy when they realize they've been lied to by a raging hypocritical asshole like Falwell, Jr. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Howl said:

Even suppressed, guilt riddled college students can generate a lot of pissed off energy when they realize they've been lied to by a raging hypocritical asshole like Falwell, Jr. 

From this article  , 

On Friday afternoon Falwell praised students on both sides of the controversy.

"I'm so impressed with how@LibertyU students conducted themselves today at the protest!" he tweeted. "The ones who had concerns and the ones who supported me were both respectful and not angry-very Christ-like in their behavior. Our students are an example the world can learn from!" 

• Thank You 1

16 hours ago, Howl said:

I am not sure this is how I would characterize Liberty students.

Unrelated to the quote: 

Also, consequences aren’t always explicit.  There will be consequences for the students opposed to Jr.  it just may not be so directly connected to the protests.

Edited by treemom
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, VVV said:

I would bet money that Falwell's attorney wrote that tweet.

Yes, Jerry, Jr/Liberty U have a PR firm on speed dial and pay them big bucks to advise on strategies for damage control.

Right now Jerry Jr.'s all, Oh, no big deal. Those emails.  I can't recall the context at the moment, and besides, THEY WERE STOLEN, so the content isn't relevant BECAUSE THEY WERE STOLEN and did I mention context? 

And well, reading anything critical about me?  I do SOOO rather enjoy it.   And yes, we were at a club rave in Miami AS A FAMILY because that's where you meet sinners and witness to them while you model Christian values.

And those protesting students?  It's incredibly charming, because Liberty students can protest at ANY TIME; Liberty U, as you well know and as the name implies, is a free and utterly unrestricted environment for students, who are all encouraged to be critical thinkers.  

Now, if you'll excuse me, my wife has been begging me to pound her with my exceptionally large dick while the Pool Boy watches. 

Let me remind you this is

1. sex within the sanctity of marriage
  2. no Old Testament Bible verse specifically forbids third party onlookers
  3. therefore, it's hot Bible-sanctioned sex.  

As you know, happy wife, happy life! And Pool Boy is like a son to us.  Trey is our real son, but we don't let him watch. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 11
  • Love 2

This article showed up on Pocket for me today so it's gathering steam, I guess.

I don't know much about the Falwells but I happen to be reading The Testaments by Margaret Atwood and they seem like they'd fit right in in Gilead!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

but I happen to be reading The Testaments by Margaret Atwood and they seem like they'd fit right in in Gilead!

My goodness, please provide a review (no spoilers) when you finish! 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I don't know much about the Falwells but I happen to be reading The Testaments by Margaret Atwood and they seem like they'd fit right in in Gilead!

I am rereading The Handmaid's Tale in prep for reading The Testaments

Is there anything that Atwood did NOT get right about a theocratic, dystopian future? It's scary to recognize so much stuff as either normal & happening, or commonly talked about.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hane said:

@hoipolloi, have you read her MaddAddam trilogy? So much about ecology and toxic capitalism—right on the nose.

I've only read Oryx and Crake and thought it was good.

• 2 years later...

Wartburg Watch had an article quoting Jerry JR where he says his father would sometimes "take the edge off" by "downing a whole bottle of Nyquil!" JR reports his father called it "Baptist wine." Now I think JR is as gross, greedy, and sleazy as they come. However, I find this statement very plausible. I can't think think of any possible gain by fabricating it. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Wartburg Watch had an article quoting Jerry JR where he says his father would sometimes "take the edge off" by "downing a whole bottle of Nyquil!" JR reports his father called it "Baptist wine." Now I think JR is as gross, greedy, and sleazy as they come. However, I find this statement very plausible. I can't think think of any possible gain by fabricating it. 

This doesn't surprise me too much.

Except the fact that for me, at least, if I took more than the usual dose of Nyquil I'd better already be in bed when I do so, or I'd end up sleeping where I fell. 

• Upvote 5