IGNORED

Ohio Legislation

Imrlgoddess

I'm not sure what's in the state governments drinking water at the moment but:

They currently have their "heartbeat bill" that recently passed but isn't in effect yet:  https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA132-HB-258  Abortions happening after the ~6 week mark are illegal, seeking an abortion outside the state are prosecutable, and if a miscarriage is found to be "the fault" of the woman...she can be prosecuted for that too.  

Now this monstrosity is coming up:  https://local12.com/news/local/ohio-bill-would-prevent-insurance-for-paying-for-abortions-limit-birth-control-coverage   It's a law preventing private and public insurance companies from covering certain types of birth control and abortion procedures.  

There is an 11 year old girl in their news right now who was impregnated by a 26 year old man, supposedly "not forcible".  Under the new law she would not have been able to seek an abortion in her own state and would have been prosecuted for seeking one outside the state. 

Sick irony:  she could marry him.   https://statelaws.findlaw.com/ohio-law/ohio-marriage-age-requirements-laws.html  State law allows minors to get married with consent of juvenile court in the event of a pregnancy.  

All of these politicians, Ga, Ky, Oh,...they are all bold enough to admit these measures are being put in place in preparation for RvW being overturned.  

20 hours ago, Imrlgoddess said:

There is an 11 year old girl in their news right now who was impregnated by a 26 year old man, supposedly "not forcible".  Under the new law she would not have been able to seek an abortion in her own state and would have been prosecuted for seeking one outside the state. 

Sick irony:  she could marry him.   https://statelaws.findlaw.com/ohio-law/ohio-marriage-age-requirements-laws.html  State law allows minors to get married with consent of juvenile court in the event of a pregnancy.  

Given that she was under 13, why is he not being prosecuted?  She was certainly not his spouse when he impregnated her, so even without force I would read this as being rape according to Ohio law:

Rape: Rape is any form of unwanted sexual contact obtained without consent and/or obtained through the use of force, threat of force, intimidation, or coercion.

A person may also be charged with rape if they engaged in sexual conduct with another person who is not their spouse, or is their spouse but lives separately, and:

They substantially impaired that person’s judgment or control in order to prevent resistance, by giving that person drugs, controlled substances or some other intoxicant by force, threat of force or deception;

The other person is less than 13 years old; or

The alleged offender knew or had reasonable cause to believe the other person’s ability to resist or consent was impaired by a mental or physical condition, or advanced age.

Completely nonsensical...but then a lot of America's state laws confuse me!

Between my husband and I, I’m usually the more politically moderate person, but I’m starting to agree with him. It’s not just Trump. All republicans need to go. Either they’re all batshit crazy, or the secretly less batshit ones are too afraid of the crazies to speak out. End result - they all need to go.

1 hour ago, AnywhereButHere said:

All republicans need to go.

Yes. The whole party needs to go down. A party that looks at a raped child and says "have that baby no matter what it does to you". Is not a party that needs to exist anymore. 

@Syriana her family would have had to press charges & they didn't.  The authorities who worked the case said she was a repeated runaway & "counseled her on her rebellious behavior".  They did nothing to the fellow but fussed at her for what happened.  

56 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

@Syriana her family would have had to press charges & they didn't.  The authorities who worked the case said she was a repeated runaway & "counseled her on her rebellious behavior".  They did nothing to the fellow but fussed at her for what happened.  

Thank you!  I'm horrified - but not surprised - that her family are in the driving seat here.  The thought that a 26 yo predator gets away with rape because of his victim's family not wanting to prosecute makes me want to vomit, it smacks of victim blaming to me (no way in hell can an 11 yo consent in any way, shape or form to sex with a 26 yo...just no!).  

The combination of this child's risky behaviours and her family being willing to let a predator walk free makes we wonder what, exactly, they (her parents) are trying to hide!

12 minutes ago, Syriana said:

Thank you!  I'm horrified - but not surprised - that her family are in the driving seat here.  The thought that a 26 yo predator gets away with rape because of his victim's family not wanting to prosecute makes me want to vomit, it smacks of victim blaming to me (no way in hell can an 11 yo consent in any way, shape or form to sex with a 26 yo...just no!).  

The combination of this child's risky behaviours and her family being willing to let a predator walk free makes we wonder what, exactly, they (her parents) are trying to hide!

Yes!!!  Exactly.  If she had a troubled past (however much an 11 year old can have) that goes straight back to what is happening in the home.  

I'm a foster parent.  I've had young girls and teens who were raped and who were pregnant. It is heartbreaking. The youngest was only 10 years old it broke my heart and I just cried. Thankfully I live in a blue state. These young girls need tons of therapy to deal with their trauma. These abortion laws are just sickening. On top of this, rapists have parental rights which is just as sickening. A 10 year or teenager who was raped now has to give birth and be forced to see her rapist and share parental rights with him. This is sickening. 

19 hours ago, Imrlgoddess said:

This pisses me off no end. The family should not have to press charges. The state should be pressing charges because this was in clear violation of their laws.

We had a case here where a 14yo was allegedly gang raped. She reported at the time, they were charged and then the charges were dropped because she couldn't face testifying. I still think that they should have proceeded without her testimony. If she'd been murdered they wouldn't have relied on her giving evidence, so it is possible. And apart from anything else even if it had been consensual  (which it most emphatically wasn't) she was legally under age and they should have at minimum been convicted of unlawful carnal knowledge. It still makes me so angry that they got off.

5 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

This pisses me off no end. The family should not have to press charges. The state should be pressing charges because this was in clear violation of their laws.

Exactly this!  Ohio law states that sex with a person under the age of 13 is rape, given that 11 is younger than 13 it should be an automatic prosecution - and let's face it, there's no more definitive proof that a crime occurred than the victim being pregnant.  

My thoughts:

• It's distressing and and frankly disgusting that a fetus in utero has more rights than its mother. It's even more detestable that as soon as that fetus leaves the uterus, all those rights evaporate immediately.

• I have an excessive amount of maternal instincts, feel that life starts the moment the sperm hits the egg, and could never have an abortion myself for an unwanted pregnancy. I would have had an incredibly hard time having an abortion for medical reasons and can't truly say if I could have if I had been faced with such a terrible decision. That said, it would have been my choice. And no matter my personal feelings, I could (and would) never tell another person what to do. That is their choice. My feelings on the matter aren't relevant in the slightest.

• The problems surrounding abortions would be decimated if proper birth control were freely available. 

• I see these men, exacting their personal will on women as weak and very, very insecure. What are they afraid of, that they feel the need to repress women so badly? Why do their fragile ego's need to keep women down? Are they so scared that women won't want them, if they have any say in the matter?  Are they so frightened of the power of women, that they can't handle it and go to these extreme measures in order to feel more in command? 

• Women are the majority of the populace of America. Women have the power. Now they need to wield it. They need to get out and vote these suckers out.

Archived