IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 6: That Thing In The Window Is Creepy

HerNameIsBuffy

24 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

It's also possible that one or more are expecting but they aren't ready to announce yet. It seems like they typically wait until they are 3 months along or more.

I think this means Whit isn't going to announce yet--the family/UP should have been marketing a big announcement during the episode tonight if they were waiting till then to do it. 

Didn't Whit's miscarriage happen towards the end of the 1st trimester?  If so I could see them waiting for 4-5 months next time. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
3rd trimester different from 3rd month
  • I Agree 4

I think it started at mid 80's but was popular in 90's and at the beginning of 2000. The last decade quiverfull has lost power, as fundie people has been becoming more mainstream (on the looks and probably regarding birth control, not on political beliefs), probably because the second generation forced that.
I think there are estimations of people in the main religious groups, like ATI. But it's impossible to say how many quiverfullers there are, because not all of them are/were in the main groups.
I think the second generation became more mainstream because the remember what it was like for them growing up. Inadequate food. In adequate housing. Inadequate clothing and education. The family was eligible for WIC and foodstamps but chose not to because Jesus. The kids and Kelly would have been eligible for medicaid as well.

If there is a God, why did he "bless" them with so many kids and no means to provide a secure childhood? Gil and Kelly neglected their children. I don't blame their kids for being more responsible with their fertility.

Eschewing the pill because of religious conviction is one thing, but condoms aren't a salvation issue.
  • Upvote 4

Quiverfull has seemingly been falling out of favour/fashion with the second/third gen crowd over the past few years. It will be interesting to see if there's a response to that sometime in the next 5-15 years or so, because these things tend to go in waves. The younger generation pushes back against the harsh rules of their elders, but as time passes and the past is viewed through rose coloured glasses, and people look for things to blame for their present problems, they turn to 'the old ways' and decide to recommit to more traditional, conservative values. So I wouldn't really be surprised to see a quiverfull reawakening in another decade or so.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

44 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I think this means Whit isn't going to announce yet--the family/UP should have been marketing a big announcement during the episode tonight if they were waiting till then to do it. 

Didn't Whit's miscarriage happen towards the end of the 1st trimester?  If so I could see them waiting for 4-5 months next time. 

We don’t know how far along Whit was when her miscarriage occurred. All we know is that they told their families at the vow renewal and soon after that was the ultrasound where they learned the pregnancy wasn’t going to end as they hoped. Based off her past pregnancies though, I would assume that Whit was still in her first trimester when they announced to their families at the vow renewal - my best guess is that she would have been due sometime in February of this year. 

With Kaci, ZachNey announced to family that Whit was pregnant at Bradley’s first birthday party, back in late October/early Novemver 2015. I remember because they had first year photos done of Bradley shortly before that and they snuck the pregnancy reveal for the family into the shoot - both sets of grandparents got a framed photo of them with a sign saying Whit was pregnant. 

The public reveal didn’t happen until early January 2016:

They’re wearing the same clothes as the first year photos/family pregnancy reveal, so it was all part of the same shoot. The day they announced her pregnancy  (January 7th) was the same day that Season 3 premiered.

Whitney’s pregnancy with Bradley happened almost entirely off camera - I’m pretty sure her baby shower was part of the series premiere. Kelly confirmed a question about grandkids being on the way publicly on a blog post about Zach’s political campaign in March of 2014 though. That blog post was made on March 3, 2014, though Kelly’s comment responding to a question about grandkids was made March 9th and it wasn’t until April 15th that Erin experiences a loss and she confirmed Whitney was pregnant:

Spoiler

C2018864-5F40-43B2-A905-302DA72ABA04.thumb.png.2f826698f37f33586a2d64b27123da93.png

Whitney gave birth a week past her due date, meaning she was due around October 22nd - so she was almost 13 weeks when Kelly made the second comment confirming she had been referring to both couples in her initial comment (Whit would have been closer to 7 weeks when Kelly’s initial response was made.) Kelly could have been talking about Erin’s first pregnancy in the initial response since Erin was a week ahead of Whitney, but she didn’t reveal names so we can’t really know if she was only referring to one couple or to both. 

All that to say we don’t know for sure, but I’d bet she was still on the early side when she miscarried.

(And disclaimer: In case I somehow gave the wrong impression, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with choosing to announce early. I hope that their families - Erin and Kelly especially - were able to offer them genuine comfort and support as they dealt with the loss.)

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

Anyone elses cable provider seem to totally drop UP network? I tried up find it and I couldn’t. We have Comcast xfinity. 

I went on the Comcast site to try to find what channel it was and I don’t see Up listed on any of the programs packages 

2 hours ago, 19tacos&counting said:

Anyone elses cable provider seem to totally drop UP network? I tried up find it and I couldn’t. We have Comcast xfinity. 

I have xfinity and get Up. I wonder if it is regional or if you have to buy the right package?  I think our package includes pretty much get all of the channels offered.

• Upvote 1

I think Whitney would had been in her first trimester (probably just 2 months pregnant) at the vow renewal day. Who boughts a really tight dress if pregnant? She had to knew she would have a flat belly that day. 

I know the *It's up to God* thing. But call me cynical... Whitney put a lot of effort in that vow renewal. It was organised during several months (you can't just pick all that dresses, decorations and schedule the camera crew in a few days) and she was beyond thrilled about it. Do you think she wanted to risk to show a little belly and not to be *perfect* in her dress? I wonder if the baby was a surprise or if they were just starting to try for a new baby and it came immediately?

I suppose they will have another pregnancy soon. But I understand them not to announce before the 3rd or 4th months, just to be sure the baby is ok. 

*disclaimer: I'm not saying they use BC, maybe they are just not extremely fertile. I  just say that she (or both of them) seems a planner, more organised and goal-focused than other Bates. And I wouldn't be surprised if the babies are planned, too. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1

Just watched the vow renewal.  My goodness the tears they all shed.  They keep talking about what Whitney did that was so bad to her parents, that she needed to be forgiven for, and the reason for the vow renewal.  But they never say what it was that Whit did.  I know they were separated.  But what did she do?  If you're going to go through this on television, say it.  Maybe i'm being a BEC

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

Is it possible to watch somewhere online new episode? ? 

And some more vow renewall pics

Spoiler

Edited by miss_batson

14 minutes ago, miss_batson said:

Is it possible to watch somewhere online new episode?

I'm still looking for old episodes ?

10 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I'm still looking for old episodes ?

Old episodes where on one private  YouTube chanel.. But i think i red some where they were taken down..

14 minutes ago, miss_batson said:

Old episodes where on one private  YouTube chanel.. But i think i red some where they were taken down..

Yes, I was just starting season 5 when they were taken down ?

Edited by CarrotCake

There are 7 free episodes on Uptv . Up really protects this show and seems to be really trying to push their “Up tv faith and family “ pay channel. They have very little original programming, mostly Gilmore Girls, Home Improvement etc reruns. It doesn’t make a lot of sense.

I was surprised when Whitney announced her past pregnancy last night on the show, I honestly thought they would have edited it out.  I also am dying to know what ‘she did” to her parents....

It really made me uncomfortable that 100% of the blame was placed on her. She was a teenager when the conflict or transgression happened. Something feels off.

Edited by TeaELSee
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

I do not get the Up channel (Xfinity. Comcast). A couple of seasons ago I tried adding the channel to my plan, and even then I only got 1 episode before it went  defunct, and even after subscribing, I know longer could get the channel.

Did anyone watch and review last night???? 

Edited by SassyPants

I watched it on Xfinity, however I didn’t do a recap but I’ll try!

Wedding renewal: mostly about how Whitney did something (no idea) to her parents and now they are reconciled. A lot of crying and a surprisingly intimate affair for the Bates.

Whitney and the girls planted succulents. Seriously, this was a segment.

Carlin went to Evan’s house for his birthday and they went miniature golfing with his family. Carlin called putters putt-putt sticks.

Whitney announced her prior pregnancy at the renewal reception.

I don’t remember anything else right now.

Edited by TeaELSee
Putt putt sticks
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

So they did show the pregnancy announcement? I wasn't sure they would include it. That would have gotten me right in the feels.

On the other hand I'm extremely skeptical that whatever happened between Whit and her parents was ALL her fault. I'm not a huge Whitney fan like some people are but I feel like something isn't right there and I feel bad for her that she's getting all the blame. Pure speculation, of course.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

Here’s a brief recap I found. Not much detail, but better than nothing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/2449067002

And count me in on being weirded out by the situation between Whit and her parents. I don’t know what it is, but something just seems off. I guess I’m glad she got to have the experience of having her parents at the vow renewal, but I don’t know... something just seems weird.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

I do not get the Up channel (Xfinity. Comcast). A couple of seasons ago I tried adding the channel to my plan, and even then I only got 1 episode before it went  defunct, and even after subscribing, I know longer could get the channel.
Did anyone watch and review last night???? 
I downloaded the UP app for android. You can access content for $5.99 per month. Before committing, I am going to see uf Roku has an app for that.
  • Thank You 1

So I also have xfinity and I don't have the channel anymore but the series still recorded so I watched it last night. Slight Recap:

First started with a very obvious staged recap: How Erin is handling 3 kids (and will more than likely have another one cause "baby fever". Carlin and Evan very much in love. Josie really excited about being married and Whitney talking about the vow renewal.

Then Kelly and Josie talking about the wedding plans, such as consolidating the invite list, figuring out where to get married (she wants it outdoors). 

Whitney and Zach talking about the renewal. Whitney talking about how she can't wait for a newer dress to having her parents there. It was sad that she feels like it was all essentially her fault for ruining her biological parents' relationship when she was younger so I do understand your awkwardness too @VelociRapture . Her mom and dad were super excited and happy to walk her down the aisle and be with her on this day. In addition, they let Bradley announced the pregnancy. 

Evan asked the parent units on permission to get married where they were so surprised it's been almost 2 years at this point. Gil did that whole pause thing like he did when Evan asked to court and I think when Bobby asked for a proposal.

Tori and Bobby got a 4D ultrasound with her parents since they were in town. The baby was breached at 27 weeks but that's normal, and was a little sad he didn't have hair (she had a lot when she was a baby, Bobby was bald). 

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

Whitney and Zach talking about the renewal. Whitney talking about how she can't wait for a newer dress to having her parents there. It was sad that she feels like it was all essentially her fault for ruining her biological parents' relationship when she was younger so I do understand your awkwardness too @VelociRapture

That's kind of heartbreaking actually. I think she is putting too much of the blame on herself. Whatever happened between her parents was between them. Even if she was the worst kid/teen in the world, it's not her fault. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

Just an FYI: Cable tv channels offered vary from region to region. Channels offered in say New York may not the same as Atlanta. Satellite companies offer the same channels nationwide.

• Thank You 1

My guess is that Whitney did crappy teenager type stuff that lots of teens do. 

And I want to add that it’s extremely unlikely her parents are lily white pure in the whole situation. I’m sure they made parenting mistakes. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I could see them making all this fuss just over the fact that she "rebelled against their authority" by going to live with another family/potentially getting adopted.  Fundies compare child emancipation to divorce, so by that messed-up logic, Whit essentially cheated on her parents and now they're being oh so gracious and taking her back. 

• Upvote 10

Her Dad walked her down the aisle and everyone was tearing up, when he “gave” (gag) Whitney to Zach it was weird, they (Whitney & her Dad) didn’t hug or acknowledge each other at that moment.  In all fairness they did later in the ceremony, but that stood out to me. 

The blame and fault Whitney must carry is very shitty. Not once did her parents say anything to accept any responsibility. I have no clue what she did, but they all made it sound awful. How else could one justify disowning your own child? 

The whole thing pissed me off.

Edited by TeaELSee
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic