IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 6: That Thing In The Window Is Creepy

HerNameIsBuffy

14 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

From a business perspective I wonder why TLC originally went with Duggars instead of the Bateseses.

They had to have known about both families from a little bit of research and while every bit as batshit hateful, the Bates kids are far more telegenic, overall, than the Duggars and that's what matters to the TV people.

And as it turns out the Bates are far more PR obedient and more accommodating to hiding their crazy to keep them palatable, to those not paying attention.   In retrospect they should have signed the grifters in Tennessee.

when the Duggar's first got their show TLC was doing specials on a bunch of big families I believe the Arnets also had a special.  plus when Michelle was pregnant with 15 Kelly was barely pregnant with 14. so I'm sure 14 kids and pregnant again sounded more chaching then 13 kids and pregnant again. 

plus remember the Bates did have a show on TLC right when she gave birth to Jeb, the united Bates of America it only lasted like nine episodes.  it was not good. TLC just didn't know how to edit them plus at that point none of the kids were courting or married. 

up knows how to sell the Bates in a way TLC never figured out. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

13 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

I think Jim-Bob's political career may have started the TLC train. Wasn't he running for office or in office for one (or more) of the early specials? Was the Bates family a featured family back when TLC was doing a lot of the one or two episode shows highlighting mega families? I don't remember. I remember the Bates being shown on the Duggar's show as friends of theirs, but not having their own dedicated show. I could very well be remembering wrong, I only half watched a few shows in the early years and haven't followed either family very closely over the years.

I do agree that the Bates family (while being every bit as hateful as the Duggars) come off as less awkward and seem to be more PR savvy. 

Excellent point about JBs illfated political career.  I bet that was it.

I recall at least one episode when the kids were young that the Bates "guest starred."  Idk if that was the same episode as when the Duggars went to Tn to 'help' the Bates with their home remodel.  I wasn't a regular viewer but I remember getting panicky just watching that one due to all those people in such a small space.

If I were in one of those mega families in cramped quarters my introverted self would run into the woods and become feral just out of self defense.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I forgot about the United Bates of America! I think at that point the Bates were still heavily into frumpers and the Duggars were moving into the "modern modest" or whatever so that also probably helped them along. It just seems like the Duggars pushed pause on becoming more mainstream and the Bates kept moving along slowly until the passed the Duggars by, at least in appearance. 

• Upvote 6

for anyone who wants to see it here is the first episode of united bates of america. though there was a back door pilot of it on the Duggar show with Jebs birth. you also have to remember by the time Kelly had number 17 Michelle was already pregnant with Josie. plus Michelle did have the whole two sets of twins thing that Kelly never accomplished. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

7 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

up knows how to sell the Bates in a way TLC never figured out. 

For starters they told them to get Nathan Bedford Forrest off their damn walls and get rid of the skinny horses....and told them to stop talking about how Lawson as a young teen was providing major financial support while mom and dad kept making more mouths for him to feed.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

For starters they told them to get Nathan Bedford Forrest off their damn walls and get rid of the skinny horses....and told them to stop talking about how Lawson as a young teen was providing major financial support while mom and dad kept making more mouths for him to feed.

see the diffrance is that I think TLC knew the Duggars/Bates were a train wreck and they used that angle remember all the snarky pop up boxes that used to be on the original 19 kid episodes, well Up wants to show the family in this great light. plus I believe the Bates family has final say on what does and does not go into the Episodes and TLC does not give the Duggar's that option. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

Bates were still heavily into frumpers

Clothes are expensive and Michaela could churn out matching frumpers in between toilet training, teaching, and raising her parents other kids.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

Just now, nvmbr02 said:

Thanks @Ivycoveredtower! They were further along on ditching the frumpers than I remembered. I don't remember ever watching the show, just seeing previews. 

you can find most of the episodes on youtube. there is one with the Duggar's and their is another where the Paine's come to visit and the siblings tease Erin about having a crush on him. 

I'll have to remember that when I am sitting bored in a hotel room here in a few weeks. I'll have nothing but time to fall down the fundie rabbit hole again for awhile.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic