IGNORED

Maxwell 26: The Toothbrush Thing Is Real

HerNameIsBuffy

Not gonna' snark on this:

Mom invited us girls for a day out, and because of how crazy and complicated our schedules were, we scheduled it over a month in advance to get it to work!

because with all of us being scattered over 1,000 miles and two time zones and because all three travel extensively for their careers (!) I had to schedule a get-together about a month in advance. Oh. Wait. None of that applies to mère Maxwell et filles.

Also, that perfect turkey that Mary is reaching for? That's a goose. The turkeys are the big round ones. Know your poultry.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Also, that perfect turkey that Mary is reaching for? That's a goose. The turkeys are the big round ones. Know your poultry.

I've never had goose which makes me sad every time I watch Mrs. Cratchit prep hers.

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I've never had goose which makes me sad every time I watch Mrs. Cratchit prep hers.

My uncle brought goose to Thanksgiving a few times. It was greasy. Like my uncle redneck.

Just now, Maggie Mae said:

My uncle brought goose to Thanksgiving a few times. It was greasy. Like my uncle redneck.

duck can be too, but I love it.

I tried cooking duck 3x and had 3 oven fires so strictly a restaurant meal for me.

3 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Guess it was my note. Just got a thank-you reply from Teri!

I’m just gonna say this impresses me.  They don’t come across as the type to admit when they’re wrong. 

I purchase a lot of my clothing online from a company that has freebie offers of a weekend or tote bag.  I accumulated quite a few of them and had no idea what to do with them, so I called the local help line who suggested taking them to the local AWARE shelter (battered women.)    The director was thrilled to have the bags and said most women arrive with only the clothes on their back because they have nothing to carry anything in.    They also like it when people donate sweat pants, t-shirts and sweat shirts.  

Any place that houses teens or women would love to get donations of sanitary pads and tampons as well.  

New post, of Abby, Bethany, Tina and Drew making cinnamon rolls. Yep, Drew was involved! He brushed the dough with melted butter, which is something, unlike with OfChris’s family where it was only the girls involved. 

It’s apparently going to be a series, of Christmas recipes that the sisters-in-law like. So I’m guessing Elissa will get involved; we’ve not really seen inside their house/seen her doing baking with Calia or anything like that. 

... when she says “you don’t want it too tall” and shows a far-away pic of the dough laying out and says “this is how tall you want it”, is she referring to thickness??   I know it’s not a food blog, but saying a dough can be rolled to X (cm/mm) thickness isn’t unusual in a US recipe, is it?

26 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

... when she says “you don’t want it too tall” and shows a far-away pic of the dough laying out and says “this is how tall you want it”, is she referring to thickness??   I know it’s not a food blog, but saying a dough can be rolled to X (cm/mm) thickness isn’t unusual in a US recipe, is it?

I was thinking she meant the width...but I don't know. That sentence stuck out to me because of its odd phrasing.

And yeah, it's common for a recipe to say something like, "Roll dough into a 12 by 6 inch rectangle, approximately 1/4 inch thick." 

I feel like Sarah has glaring gaps in her posts that she doesn't even realize exist--like she assumes that her readers know what's in her mind.

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

New post, of Abby, Bethany, Tina and Drew making cinnamon rolls. Yep, Drew was involved! He brushed the dough with melted butter, which is something, unlike with OfChris’s family where it was only the girls involved. 

It just shows how further down the rabbit hole Chrisie is compared to Nate.  Nate doesn't make his wife dress in frumpers due to some bizarre fetish....

On 12/5/2018 at 8:22 PM, Black Aliss said:

I didn't have ultrasounds or amnio with my kids, but with the firstborn I did have a lot of hand-me-downs from a friend who had given birth to a boy about 6 months before I was due. So my daughter, who came out of me built like a linebacker, had a lot of one-piece stretchies with football motifs. It doesn't seem to have caused any permanent damage.

I didn't know the sex of any of my kids before birth, but it wasn't for lack of trying on my part.  The hospital refused to divulge the sex based on an ultrasound for the first one because they'd heard some hospital somewhere got sued for making a mistake and the family got ready for one sex and had another.  The other two kids refused to show their privates no matter how long the tech looked.  Got lots of butt shots, but they were spectacularly uncooperative when encouraged to flash their privates.

Anyway, my first was a big girl with linebacker shoulders, sturdy as all get out with a lusty yell.  She wasn't shy back then.  One day when she was just learning to stand we were in the waiting room of an office and she had pulled herself up by hanging onto a chair and was smiling at everyone who walked by.  I had her dressed in a pair of jeans and a blue t-shirt because she looked so good in blue and a woman walked by and smiled at her.  "Well, look at you!  So big and strong and ready to take on the world."  To me she said  "That one's all boy, isn't he?"  I should have just shut up and taken the compliment, but I replied "I hope not.  She's a girl!"

1 hour ago, johnhugh said:

It just shows how further down the rabbit hole Chrisie is compared to Nate.  Nate doesn't make his wife dress in frumpers due to some bizarre fetish....

I’m not sure that Prissie Chrissie makes NR Anna wear frumpers. She wore them before they married and seems to have that pattern memorized to sew.  A frumper also suits her frequent pregnancies and post pregnancies. She would have to sew more or buy more skirts to accommodate all her pregnancies.  NR Anna always looks so serene. Shame about her extreme views and sharing abortion stories with preschoolers. 

I want to burn NR Anna's stupid ugly frumpers and drag her into 2019. I also want to take those little girls out of the 1980 inspired matching homemade dresses and get them into something they can move around in, and let them go play outside instead of being cooped up in a hot kitchen, posing for family photos. 

I'd also burn that ugly long denim skirt with the ruffles. And get all of the women runners appropriate running clothes. None of the Maxwells are unattractive (except maybe Chris) but they are hiding behind bizarre and frankly inappropriate clothing choices. Of course, ma and pa get to dress like normal people their age. Why not let your daughters? 

Anyone else notice that there is a scandalous photo of an unmarried Maxwell daughter's ankle and calf? 

On 12/8/2018 at 8:56 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I adore roast goose and it doesn't have to be greasy. You prick the skin at all the places where you see fat pads, like under the wings, and then roast it on a rack. I find a 2-3" layer of sliced potatoes in the bottom of the roasting pan makes an excellent rack, or you can just tip the pan and draw off the fat several times as your goose cooks. Save the poured-off fat for roasting vegetables.

57 minutes ago, Markie said:

NR Anna always looks so serene.

It's the eternal sunshine of a spotless mind. She's been so sheltered her entire life that nothing has intruded on her serenity. Save for the spector of other women making their own medical choices, that is.

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

I want to burn NR Anna's stupid ugly frumpers and drag her into 2019. I also want to take those little girls out of the 1980 inspired matching homemade dresses and get them into something they can move around in, and let them go play outside instead of being cooped up in a hot kitchen, posing for family photos. 

I'd also burn that ugly long denim skirt with the ruffles. And get all of the women runners appropriate running clothes. None of the Maxwells are unattractive (except maybe Chris) but they are hiding behind bizarre and frankly inappropriate clothing choices. Of course, ma and pa get to dress like normal people their age. Why not let your daughters? 

Griselda Teri has worn some weird shit.  And remember this "fashion statement" by Coward Steve?

DSC_9374-425x284.jpg

On 12/7/2018 at 7:24 AM, Abstract said:

Puffy vests also disguise the female shape while leaving the arms free to move around easily. 

You're probably right because they wear those vests in the house too.  

My oldest, a girl, was 9 pounds 5 3/4 ounces at birth.  She was also strong.  She had pretty good head control at her 2 week checkup, was crawling (marine-crawl) by 3 months and walking by 9 months.  She could be all dressed in a pink dress and still be assumed by others that she was a boy.

I only knew the sex of one baby before birth when I saw a moonshot of my last during an ultrasound. 

On 12/9/2018 at 3:22 AM, mango_fandango said:

The Maxwell men all cook so if the Chris Spawn are not cooking, I think that is on NR-Anna Ingalls on the Prairie.

Did anyone else notice on the girls and mom day out post that once again, "Mom" is last? Dad and mom, daughters and mom. Why is never first.

23 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Anyone else notice that there is a scandalous photo of an unmarried Maxwell daughter's ankle and calf?

Yep, I noticed earlier this year that Mary has been showing a lot of leg in pictures. In this case I think it was just a matter of activity, but she has definitely purposely posed with a leg showing in several pictures over the summer.

7 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Did anyone else notice on the girls and mom day out post that once again, "Mom" is last? Dad and mom, daughters and mom. Why is never first.

That's interesting.  I'd expect them to be referred to by rank, so of course "Dad" would go first, but why is "Mom" last?  Could it be that each daughter is worth some fraction of "Mom", but collectively they equal more than "Mom"?  This strikes me as insane, even while writing it, but the question remains...

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, usmcmom said:

I LOVE this idea. I have way too many makeup bags, especially since I used to subscribe to the monthly Ipsy delivery. I'm going to ask my daughter if she'd like to spend a day filling those with me. She has a gazillion bags too. Thanks for motivating me  

Another "survival kit" we've thought of making is one to take to the ICU in local hospitals. We spent a lot of days in ICU waiting rooms last year and sometimes you get stuck there longer than you expect. Some wet wipes, a toothbrush, a granola bar, a couple dollars for the vending machine - things like that - would really be handy for people who are there day after day. 

I held a tampon/pad drive for a local community outreach center and homeless shelter. one friend has several ipsy-type bags that she filled for us! They were PERFECT! Plus, it's a cute discreet bag. Good idea!

How cold do people think the Maxwell's keep their house? In the latest blog post Sarah and Steve are wearing puffy vests. We keep our house pretty cool and I'll usually wear a sweater but a puffy coat? Seems bit much to me but probably right in line with Steve "nothing to distract from the sweet release of death" Maxwell. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived