IGNORED

Joy and Austin 24

Coconut Flan

41 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Hmm I see now. I only followed the last 3 elections and I feel like, except for Obama, all the people up for election were so old.

They really were in 2016, and it was reported on a lot. Donald Trump was 70, Hillary Clinton was 69, and Bernie Sanders was 75. It was unusual. There's a lower age limit for the presidency (35) and I think there should be an upper age limit to run as well. I'm sure there are 80-year-olds who are up to doing the job, just like there are probably 30-year-olds who could handle it, but you have to draw the line somewhere. But I think all kinds of things about the way American presidents are elected are in dire need of change, and age is probably one of the least worrisome.

Shockingly, Ted Cruz was born in 1970 and is still in his 40s. He is also a real human man and totally not the Zodiac Killer.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Simmer down folks, allow Professor Names to 'splain.  there is too much, let me sum up, 1. HRC is NOT, running for office again. She knows she's done. 2. Bernie, would never have beat Trump, Trump would have wiped the floor with Bernie. Bernie had 1 thing and only one thing, free education. nothing else, just that. 3. Biden wants to run he's too old, sorry, not sorry, ageist and all that but he's 75 NOW (he will be 76 on Nov 20th) do you really want to run an octogenarian? I would lay you $100 on a Harris/O'Rourke ticket.  I'm calling it, 2020 Dem ticket will have these two in 1 order or another at the top of the ticket. Young, ethnic, female, southern. its a Dem's wet dream, Beto could turn Texas blue in a POTOUS election. 

It may be "a Dem's wet dream," but I think that would also be a ticket that would definitely get us another 4 years of Trump. As much as I would like to see this come true, NO WAY is this country ready for a woman of color as president. MAYBE if Beto ran for President with Harris as VP. But even then - doesn't look like Beto's going to be successful this time around, so I doubt he'll run for POTUS two years from now.

7 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Simmer down folks, allow Professor Names to 'splain.  there is too much, let me sum up, 1. HRC is NOT, running for office again. She knows she's done. 2. Bernie, would never have beat Trump, Trump would have wiped the floor with Bernie. Bernie had 1 thing and only one thing, free education. nothing else, just that. 3. Biden wants to run he's too old, sorry, not sorry, ageist and all that but he's 75 NOW (he will be 76 on Nov 20th) do you really want to run an octogenarian? I would lay you $100 on a Harris/O'Rourke ticket.  I'm calling it, 2020 Dem ticket will have these two in 1 order or another at the top of the ticket. Young, ethnic, female, southern. its a Dem's wet dream, Beto could turn Texas blue in a POTOUS election. 

You severely underestimate the youth vote. They did not show up once Sanders was no longer in the equation.

24 minutes ago, JillyO said:

It may be "a Dem's wet dream," but I think that would also be a ticket that would definitely get us another 4 years of Trump. As much as I would like to see this come true, NO WAY is this country ready for a woman of color as president. MAYBE if Beto ran for President with Harris as VP. But even then - doesn't look like Beto's going to be successful this time around, so I doubt he'll run for POTUS two years from now.

Agreed. I hate it - but we need a youngish white guy. No HRC, No Bernie, Not that I wouldn't vote for either of them against the Orange Menace - but ... we really need to get him out of there. And we need a good change to do that. I'm afraid our country is still not ready for a woman or another African American. (still wish Obama could come back - sigh)

I dunno, I think "this country" would vote for a person of color, female or otherwise, as long as they said the right things. Look at Nikki Haley.

5 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Maybe it would be better to wait to see if he can actually beat the most unpleasant R senator. At the moment his chances aren't good according to fivethirtyeight.

I'm totally pulling this out of my ass here, this is my prognostication for the next election.

He doesn't have to win, he has youth, charisma, intelligence, compassion, he's liberal but not far left wing, he's a white Obama, and if he keeps the momentum behind him the kids will follow.  I do think if he wins he'll definitely run in 2020 top of the ticket, if he loses, he'll be a VP candidate.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

You severely underestimate the youth vote.

Sadly, I'm afraid everyone is way OVERestimating the youth vote in this year's election. I think the media is playing up the (relatively) few "youth" voters but what you're not seeing is the young 'uns avoiding voting, opting out of playing the political game, or--here's the kicker--voting a conservative ballot.

I see many "youth" voters who are staunchly conservative, and they're from all backgrounds, urban/rural, brown/white/black/purple/green/whatever, and mostly quiet -- ESPECIALLY on social media -- about their leanings because of fear of reprisal from friends/family/employers.

Links that show I'm not the only one who sees this:

http://www.pewinternet.org/2012/03/12/main-findings-10/

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/05/01/the-left-is-merciless-at-keeping-conservatives-in-the-closet/

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/the-21st-century-closet-why-i-hide-my-conservative-beliefs-from-my-friends

@SapphireSlytherin I agree, my kids are 18 and 21, I'm having to drag one of them kicking and screaming to the polls. NONE of their friends are bothering with politics, except for a few conservative friends. When I asked them I said,  I'd help them get registered, I'd take them to their polling place, help them get their ballots and all that, they were all "ugh, I have better things to do." I wanted to scream, NO YOU DON'T have better things to do.  I've tried, I've told these 18 year old girls that they won't be have access to birth control anymore, they might not even have access to affordable health care period anymore. It is like talking to a big stupid wall. I've told them they are the ones who should care the most because it is THEIR future, they just don't care, it is too hard to understand, too complicated and boring.  They are busy playing on their phones or hanging out with friends, or voting on the best Youtube vlogs.

I was in the Navy for a couple of years before being discharged for medical reasons. There are definitley some young military types who support Trump. The 3 people in my department were big Trump supporters. Yeah, I don't  miss my chain of command at all. There were definitly some who voted Democrat/ for Obama. One of my best Navy friends was a big Pride supporter. However, there was definitley some flying a big ass flag off my pick up Truck, dam right I voted for Trump sentiment on The Navy base as well. 

I know a lot of young people who are politically engaged and voting. I totally agree that it's not nearly as common as it should be, but it isn't rare. I don't agree either that the media is overplaying the youth vote; at least from my perspective I've mostly seen people talk about how many young people don't vote.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Shockingly, Ted Cruz was born in 1970 and is still in his 40s. He is also a real human man and totally not the Zodiac Killer.

Are you sure?

16 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Sadly, I'm afraid everyone is way OVERestimating the youth vote in this year's election. I think the media is playing up the (relatively) few "youth" voters but what you're not seeing is the young 'uns avoiding voting, opting out of playing the political game, or--here's the kicker--voting a conservative ballot.

I see many "youth" voters who are staunchly conservative, and they're from all backgrounds, urban/rural, brown/white/black/purple/green/whatever, and mostly quiet -- ESPECIALLY on social media -- about their leanings because of fear of reprisal from friends/family/employers.

Links that show I'm not the only one who sees this:

http://www.pewinternet.org/2012/03/12/main-findings-10/

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/05/01/the-left-is-merciless-at-keeping-conservatives-in-the-closet/

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/the-21st-century-closet-why-i-hide-my-conservative-beliefs-from-my-friends

Uh, did you actually read those articles? For example, the lifesitenews one (archive link for those who don't want to give clicks to conservative propaganda) is not only ridiculously overdramatic, it is super homophobic and comes from an anti-choice site. An actual quote:

You know, homosexuals talk a lot about coming out of the “closet.”  But in the 21stcentury, the closet is just for show – D-list celebrities and mediocre athletes can get a huge career boost simply by “coming out.” 

No, the real 21st century closet is the one that traps millions of Christians, Muslims, devout Jews and other religious believers into hiding our beliefs – or worse, watering them down to better fit the culture.  

And the Daily Signal is another conservative site from the Heritage Foundation. That article (another alternate link here) literally compares conservatives to Jewish people being persecuted during the Spanish Inquisition:

I have called contemporary conservatives in America Marranos, the name given during the 15th-century Spanish Inquisition to Jews who hid their Judaism while appearing to be Catholics, lest they be persecuted. 

Another quote:

Since the left began spreading the lie that a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, shot a black youth because he, like most police officers, is a racist, police officers in many cities have feared taking proactive measures to prevent violent crime in black neighborhoods. They fear the left-wing mob known as the news media will ruin their reputation and end their career.

I have my hopes on a Bernie / Harris ticket. I think their negatives and positives balance each other nicely with different groups. Either of them would beat the hell out of Trump in a debate. Both are powerful speakers. And both are really, really strong on issues that seem to matter to people. Whoever pulled out the “free education is all Bernie had” line - no. Look at the growth in popularity of some form of universal healthcare since he made it an issue. And he appealed to many many moderates and Independents. If you don’t get the Independents you don’t win. Harris is the polished example of a Dem dream candidate. 

3 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:
31 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Uh, did you actually read those articles?

I did. I included her blog post to make a point.

Baby boomers are the largest portion of our population and are not ready to give up power. America has a lot of intergenerational fighting or at least perceived by Tank and it will be a while before you have a non baby boomer president I think

13 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I did. I included her blog post to make a point.

I guess those are evidence that many conservatives have a persecution complex, but it was startling to see such bigoted pieces linked without discussing said bigotry being the point of linking them. I actually think there's a conversation to be had about how people on the left handle different viewpoints, but those two pieces were so extreme and I think it's a good thing that people feel uncomfortable being open about some of those views.

I do agree that we probably underestimate how many bigots are out there.

@Rachel333  - I agree with the differences in the way liberals and conservatives handle different viewpoints. I've found - through observation of my friends on FB, that liberals tend only to view news/blogs/sites that 100% lean liberal, and that conservatives tend only to view news/blogs/sites that 100% lean conservative.

Then there are people (like me) who carefully navigate through all the options, all the news, all the blogs, all the information out there to form their own opinions. If these options are not explored, then it increases the separation of both sides, because neither side fully understands what the other is seeing/reading/adopting.

Does this make sense? I'm trying to type hurriedly as my lunch hour is up and I need to get back to work.

13 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

When I saw this thread was "HOT" I thought for sure Joy must've announced a pregnancy.

So did I. It's only a matter of time. I doubt she's going to wait 2 years in between pregnancies (as much as I hope she does)

I'm glad that it's a political conversation and not another #republican gestating.

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@SapphireSlytherin I agree, my kids are 18 and 21, I'm having to drag one of them kicking and screaming to the polls. NONE of their friends are bothering with politics, except for a few conservative friends. When I asked them I said,  I'd help them get registered, I'd take them to their polling place, help them get their ballots and all that, they were all "ugh, I have better things to do." I wanted to scream, NO YOU DON'T have better things to do.  I've tried, I've told these 18 year old girls that they won't be have access to birth control anymore, they might not even have access to affordable health care period anymore. It is like talking to a big stupid wall. I've told them they are the ones who should care the most because it is THEIR future, they just don't care, it is too hard to understand, too complicated and boring.  They are busy playing on their phones or hanging out with friends, or voting on the best Youtube vlogs.

I really feel you on this. I have lived overseas all my voting age life and while it took me a while to get into voting in primaries and midterms (actually understand what that were and why they matter), I was registered and ready for my very first presidential election (<--actually my first votable election I think). My sister on the other hand is 19, lives at home with my mom (who is registered) and her dad (who scheduled the day off months ago to go vote) and get this, she still has not gotten her registration done. We have all harped on her, explained to her, she is liberal enough to know whats going on, but she really just does not seem to care. I don't get it. She has time, a ride, people to help her and go with her, everything she needs to get it done. I shouldn't be surprised though, I am fairly certain if I had not done it for her she would not have managed to register for the ACT either. *facepalm emoji* As much as I WANT to believe that the youth with come out and kick some rear end, I am losing hope. That being said, the 28-32 year olds I have contact with seem to be all about getting out the vote. So maybe some hope?

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived