IGNORED

Joy and Austin 24

Coconut Flan

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm with you, but buckle up.  She will never put what is good for the country over her all encompassing narcissism and will continue to run until she can't anymore.

I desperately want to be proven wrong on this.

Me as well. I greatly dislike both Clintons (and yes I mean Bill. In fact, especially Bill). I mean, I voted for her cause what else was I gonna do, but man do I not want her to run.  I liked O'Malley and of course my man Bernie. I still have my feel the bern button on my backpack. I also didn't mind Kasich. He is a republican, and even though I disagree with him on lot of issues, he seemed to genuinely do what he believed was right, which I admire. 

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/30/2018 at 4:04 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I love those too. One of my favorites is that Queen Victoria’s life overlapped at the beginning with George III (who was born in 1738) and at the end with the Queen Mother (who died in 2002).

How is that possible? It’s 264 years between the two?

2 minutes ago, Kailash said:

How is that possible? It’s 264 years between the two?

Sorry to interject here but I was honestly talking about this yesterday with a friend, haha. I've also been on a little bit of a royal family kick lately. 

Queen Victoria was born in 1819, about seven months  before George III died. The Queen lived to be 81 and died in January 1901. The Queen Mother was born in August 1900. So Queen Victoria barely overlapped with GIII and the Queen Mother but still, it's crazy to think about.

48 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I truly do not understand how super conservatives or evangelicals could ever have supported Bernie.  Or how anyone who supported Bernie initially could have voted for Trump.  I understand that many people don't like HRC, but there is still no logic in the "if not Bernie, then Trump scenario."  To me, that is like saying "I really want mint chocolate chip ice cream, but if mint chocolate chip ice cream gets taken off the menu, I will bypass the chocolate chip ice cream and opt for the Circus Peanuts wrapped in raw liver." I'm serious---there was much more political alignment between Bernie and HRC---someone please explain---and beyond "I just didn't like HRC."

An estimated 90%  of Sanders primary voters ended up voting for for Clinton in the general. Roughly  75% of ‘08 Clinton primary supporters said they would vote for Obama in the general. In EVERY Presidential election there is going to be some cross-over. 

In that particular race things were, quite obviously, much more frenetically heated than usual. Not wanting to go down the path of completely re-litigating ‘16 ( that’s why the hellscape that  is twitter exists ) - but It should be noted that of the three Clinton definitely came across as the biggest war hawk. 

12 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm with you, but buckle up.  She will never put what is good for the country over her all encompassing narcissism and will continue to run until she can't anymore.

I desperately want to be proven wrong on this.

Me too. Whether its deserved or not, Hillary is reviled in this country and would do nothing but destroy our chances of getting Trump out of there. 

My big issue with the Clintons is the way that Juanita Broaddrick was treated. I think her accusation is credible and I believe her. 

5 hours ago, heysmilinstrange said:

Sanders was lucky that the RNC never saw him as a threat to win the election. If he had actually been subject to opposition research the way most serious candidates are, I really doubt he would have won overwhelmingly the way people seem to think.

I voted for him in the primary and would have voted for him in the general election. I think he would have had an excellent chance of winning.

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Hillary is reviled in this country

By some, not me and not by a lot of others.

7 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Hillary is not going to run again, this is just nonsense. She doesn't have the financial backing anymore.

She'll run. Mark my words.

Just now, SapphireSlytherin said:

She'll run. Mark my words.

I don't believe it for a second honestly.

If I wanted to make $ and also hedge my bets I'd divy up $100 between Kamala Harris and Joe Biden.

7 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I voted for him in the primary and would have voted for him in the general election. I think he would have had an excellent chance of winning.

By some, not me and not by a lot of others.

I agree with all of his politics and voted for him in the Iowa caucus, but I grew disillusioned with him soon after. I think his campaign was a cult of personality. How a career politician convinced that many people that he was going to bring something new and different to US politics, I'll never know. 

5 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Hillary is not going to run again, this is just nonsense. She doesn't have the financial backing anymore.

From what I understand, HRC non-seriously said she didn't want to run again but she did want to be president. Seems like a nothing statement, but because many people have such a seething, primordial hatred of her, everything she says gets twisted.

Not to turn this into a political thread, but I also don't want Warren or really any other female to run in 2020. Sadly, the US still isn't ready. Still too many older folks who only want a man- preferably a white, middle-aged+, Christian man. It's the big, fat, pink, spotted rhino in the corner.

It absolutely is NOT worth 4 more years of the orange one.

3 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Not to turn this into a political thread

Turn?!  That ship has already sailed.

And after I so carefully ignore the quiverfull of politics because it makes me ragey ...but during election season even duggerville is over run.  (just opining, wasn't making any kind of statement on thread drift which is fine.)

18 minutes ago, heysmilinstrange said:

From what I understand, HRC non-seriously said she didn't want to run again but she did want to be president. Seems like a nothing statement, but because many people have such a seething, primordial hatred of her, everything she says gets twisted.

Yeah, I really don't think she's seriously saying she'll run.

36 minutes ago, heysmilinstrange said:

How a career politician convinced that many people that he was going to bring something new and different to US politics,

After the dumpster fire Trump has made of this country, I'll take a career politician any day. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Public service is not running a business.

Of course there's nothing wrong with being a public servant or being a career politician. But one of the selling points of Sanders's campaign was that he was somehow untouched by Washington, even though he'd been a politician since the 70s. I don't see any difference between him and any other lifelong politician, yet his supporters and his campaign expected me to believe that he was something new and different and I strongly resent that.

Sometimes unpopular opinion: I don't think you can blame Bernie's primary loss solely on the primaries being rigged. I voted for Bernie in the primary and was disappointed when he lost but he did lose. And Hillary Clinton, for all her issues, did get more votes than Trump.

I think America is long overdue for a female president. Although I voted for Hillary and I do think she would have made a good one, her moment has passed. I'm ready to vote for Kermit the Frog, anything to get that pathetic vermin out of the White House/House of Horrors.

Hillary won't have enough serious backers to run again.  I loved her in 2016... I know she had the baggage of her husband but she isn't him but yeah, she did lose the election so we need to put someone else up against Trump in 2020.  I want it to be someone who is under the age of 70.  Aka, NOT Biden, Sanders, or Warren.  I could stomach Biden if he choses a very strong VP like Harris, though.  Love her... (although she's my senator and I'd be totally happy if it stayed that way for years).  Would love to see her run for President, too, although I'm not sure the rest of the US is ready for an outspoken liberal woman of color.  Beto O'Rourke sure looks like he's going places... not sure 2020 is his race yet, though.   Maybe another 4 or 8 years for him.

Simmer down folks, allow Professor Names to 'splain.  there is too much, let me sum up, 1. HRC is NOT, running for office again. She knows she's done. 2. Bernie, would never have beat Trump, Trump would have wiped the floor with Bernie. Bernie had 1 thing and only one thing, free education. nothing else, just that. 3. Biden wants to run he's too old, sorry, not sorry, ageist and all that but he's 75 NOW (he will be 76 on Nov 20th) do you really want to run an octogenarian? I would lay you $100 on a Harris/O'Rourke ticket.  I'm calling it, 2020 Dem ticket will have these two in 1 order or another at the top of the ticket. Young, ethnic, female, southern. its a Dem's wet dream, Beto could turn Texas blue in a POTOUS election. 

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Beto could turn Texas blue in a POTOUS election. 

Maybe it would be better to wait to see if he can actually beat the most unpleasant R senator. At the moment his chances aren't good according to fivethirtyeight.

1 hour ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Maybe it would be better to wait to see if he can actually beat the most unpleasant R senator. At the moment his chances aren't good according to fivethirtyeight.

I voted, donated, and block walked for Beto and I want to believe... but I don’t. The apathy among strangers I spoke to was so strong. I hope I’m wrong. 

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Biden wants to run he's too old, sorry, not sorry, ageist and all that but he's 75 NOW (he will be 76 on Nov 20th) do you really want to run an octogenarian?

I think your presidents are always so old, why are they always well beyond retirement age?

9 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I think your presidents are always so old, why are they always well beyond retirement age?

I think you'll find that they're not:

Presidents' Age at Inauguration

Theodore Roosevelt 42 years, 10 months, 19 days

John Fitzgerald Kennedy 43 years, 7 months, 23 days

William Jefferson Clinton 46 years, 5 months, 7 days

Ulysses Simpson Grant 46 years, 10 months, 11 days

Barack Hussein Obama 47 years, 5 months, 17 days

Grover Cleveland (1st term) 47 years, 11 months, 15 days

Franklin Pierce 48 years, 3 months, 10 days

James Abram Garfield 49 years, 3 months, 14 days

James Knox Polk 49 years, 4 months, 3 days

Millard Fillmore 50 years, 6 months, 3 days

John Tyler 51 years, 0 months, 9 days

Calvin Coolidge 51 years, 1 month, 0 days

Franklin Delano Roosevelt 51 years, 1 month, 5 days

William Howard Taft 51 years, 5 months, 18 days

Chester Alan Arthur 51 years, 11 months, 15 days

Abraham Lincoln 52 years, 0 months, 21 days

James Earl Carter 52 years, 3 months, 20 days

William McKinley 54 years, 1 month, 5 days

Martin Van Buren 54 years, 3 months, 0 days

Rutherford Birchard Hayes 54 years, 5 months, 1 day

George Walker Bush 54 years, 6 months, 15 days

Herbert Clark Hoover 54 years, 6 months, 23 days

Lyndon Baines Johnson 55 years, 2 months, 27 days

Warren Gamaliel Harding 55 years, 4 months, 3 days

Benjamin Harrison 55 years, 6 months, 13 days

Grover Cleveland (2nd term )55 years, 11 months, 15 days

Richard Milhous Nixon 56 years, 0 months, 12 days

Woodrow Wilson 56 years, 2 months, 5 days

Andrew Johnson 56 years, 3 months, 18 days

George Washington 57 years, 2 months, 9 days

John Quincy Adams 57 years, 7 months, 22 days

Thomas Jefferson 57 years, 10 months, 20 days

James Madison 57 years, 11 months, 17 days

James Monroe 58 years, 10 months, 5 days

Harry S Truman 60 years, 11 months, 5 days

Gerald Rudolph Ford 61 years, 0 months, 22 days

John Adams 61 years, 4 months, 5 days

Andrew Jackson 61 years, 11 months, 18 days

Dwight David Eisenhower 62 years, 3 months, 7 days

Zachary Taylor 64 years, 3 months, 10 days

George Herbert Walker Bush 64 years, 6 months, 28 days

James Buchanan 65 years, 10 months, 10 days

William Henry Harrison 68 years, 0 months, 24 days

Ronald Wilson Reagan 69 years, 11 months, 11 days

Donald John Trump 70 years, 7 months, 7 days

10 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

They're actually not... most of them have been below 60 when elected. 

Hmm I see now. I only followed the last 3 elections and I feel like, except for Obama, all the people up for election were so old.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived