IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 3: No Hugging, No Kissing till You Make Me Your Wife

VaSportsMom

4 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

For sure, but there is something about these two in particular that screams "I am excited to have a wedding" rather than "I am excited to have a marriage" much more than others.

I agree and since divorce is not an option I hope they will grow up together and make a decent life anyway but I agree that they will probably have a hard time after 6 month to 1 year. If they can find a more mature relationship after this they may do fine. I do think that this is probably the highest risk couple of divorce we have seen in the Duggar and Bates families so far but I hope that they will make it just like any couple about to get married. 

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, elliha said:

I agree and since divorce is not an option

They're very new into the second gen of this flavor of fundy hitting marrying age.  At some point some Duggar/Bates couple will divorce.  Someone (or a spouse) will switch from kool-aid to water (as Anna's elder sister did) and make different choices.

Their TV money can't support all these families indefinitely and the romance of poverty fades.

Not speaking of these two, tbh after Alyssa I can't tell any of the Batesesses apart, just saying you're right that going in divorce isn't an option but sometimes time and experiences change your options.

8 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

For sure, but there is something about these two in particular that screams "I am excited to have a wedding" rather than "I am excited to have a marriage" much more than others.

Agreed. I've made my side clear on not being a big fan of young marriages in general, but Alyssa, Erin, and even Tori to some extent at least seemed aware of and somewhat prepared for the duties and responsibilities of a housewife in their culture. Maybe because they were older daughters who had to help run the house growing up? 

As much as we were shocked at Erin crying about leaving home and moving in with Chad, it showed that she understood that there was a new life with new responsibilities that came after the wedding.

Carlin really comes off as if she thinks everything is one big party (starring her), and I worry about the let down once the bridal shower/wedding/house warming/baby shower blitz is done.

I just really can't see Carlin with two kids three years from now. Just absolutely cannot see it. Maybe that first kid will push her and Evan out of fundiedom?

5 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Carlin really comes off as if she thinks everything is one big party (starring her), and I worry about the let down once the bridal shower/wedding/house warming/baby shower blitz is done.

I just really can't see Carlin with two kids three years from now. Just absolutely cannot see it. Maybe that first kid will push her and Evan out of fundiedom?

I definitely agree to the first statement. The day to day nitty gritty will hit hard. I think that Carlin, because she's wrangled a herd Sunday schoolers and because she's caravaned her kid siblings around before, thinks she's prepared to parent a whole bunch of kids. And she's not. 

Carlin looks gorgeous, and Evan's hand is unambiguously on Carlin's butt in this picture. While I'm personally very glad to see that they're physically comfortable with each other, wherefore thy courtship standards now, Gil Bates?

(Photo screenshotted and saved for when the Bates order Carlin to take it off her Instagram.)

EvanCarlinhandbutt.jpg

Are we sure the wheels haven't come completely off the fundy stuff for Gil and Kelly and they aren't just holding onto the facade for the money and as an excuse to marry the girls off young to ease their financial burden?

Just wondering.

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Are we sure the wheels haven't come completely off the fundy stuff for Gil and Kelly and they aren't just holding onto the facade for the money and as an excuse to marry the girls off young to ease their financial burden?

Just wondering.

Gil and Kelly still travel around for IBLP so they have to keep up appearances. I suspect they are way less fundie about courtship things because they are too busy traveling to actually monitor their kids, but still fundie about certain things like a daughter wanting to move out of the house and becoming independent. It is one thing if their daughter is marrying a proper evangelical guy who touches her butt, it is totally different if she decides to branch out on her own. 

If one of the daughters forced the issue though, I think they would slap on a happy face, pretend they are okay for it in public while trying to guilt her back into the fold in private. 

Carlin and Even, as silly as they act have been around each other for a while and stuck with it. Carlin could have dumped him and found another fundie husband who Gil would have let her marry faster. And he could have dumped her and found someone whose father didn't have strict marriage rules.  I'm more worried about Josie and smug Kelton's marriage. How is that going to go when the reality and of life sinks in and it isn't all Pinterest fun? 

On 10/1/2018 at 12:12 PM, nausicaa said:

As much as we were shocked at Erin crying about leaving home and moving in with Chad, it showed that she understood that there was a new life with new responsibilities that came after the wedding.

I never saw footage of this, when and on what show did it air?

40 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

It's probably in the episode of 19 Kids and Counting that had the Duggars attending Erin's wedding. The episode is called "Wedding Bells" and according to Wikipedia is episode number 180 (season 8, aired April 22, 2014). It was a one-hour special episode and included the wedding shower where Erin got given the cookbooks etc. that poked fun at her then lack of cooking ability. (Note: It's available in chunks on YouTube.)

If it's not in that episode it *might* be in the previous season's episode 174 "Engaging Announcement," in which Erin's and Chad's engagement is announced on the show, but the actual wedding episode is more likely since that's when the fact that Erin was actually leaving was most likely to have set in.

1 hour ago, TeaELSee said:

We also had a local on here who said they knew the Bates (and seemed a somewhat reliable source?) that Erin was having a bit of a breakdown about leaving home right before the wedding and was really upset. 

There was a bit on the wedding episode about Erin crying about not wanting to leave home that seemed to confirm it. 

On 10/6/2018 at 7:41 PM, Jigsaw3 said:

EvanCarlinhandbutt.jpg

And of course Carlin's first comment on this photo is about herself and FundyZoo, and not the freakin' bride and groom. *eyeroll*

I LOL'd at this statement in the People article: "“I’m overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness that Evan put into this surprise destination engagement [just like the trip my sister got a few months ago],” she says."

(Okay, the bracketed statement is mine, but right?)

Why does Kelton always look so...taut? He looks like he's a ripe tomato about to burst!
Yeah, dude needs to chill. Hypertension is no joke
(this is not a diagnosis. There is no way you can diagnose hypertension over the internet)

I had to laugh at this. Carlin is marrying "air"? Hot air, maybe.

Melissa Filer Wish your episodes didn't stop for breaks so we can see everything soon after! Can't wait for this wedding and Carlin's engagement to air!

11 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

And of course Carlin's first comment on this photo is about herself and FundyZoo, and not the freakin' bride and groom. *eyeroll*

I LOL'd at this statement in the People article: "“I’m overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness that Evan put into this surprise destination engagement [just like the trip my sister got a few months ago],” she says."

(Okay, the bracketed statement is mine, but right?)

At least she was the only one of the family to congratulate Katie for her birthday, i give her that.

4 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

Why does Kelton always look so...taut? He looks like he's a ripe tomato about to burst!

I think it's the weird smile that he does that sways between super excited and constipated.

The back of Carlins dress is very deep. Definitely not modest standards with the tshirt shown in dresses before. Sorry can't repaste it I'm on my work computer. 

4 hours ago, llucie said:

At least she was the only one of the family to congratulate Katie for her birthday, i give her that.

Josie had an insta-story about it as well I think, thanking Katie for sharing her special day with them. 

2 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

Josie had an insta-story about it as well I think, thanking Katie for sharing her special day with them. 

Thats nice of Josie too then, i didnt catch that one on time. Still waiting on Kellys insta post.

Evan"s insta story, where he was taping Carlin going out her way to spray juice all over a spider that was minding its own business.... "Teaching a child to not squash a caterpillar does as much for the child as it does for the caterpillar".

I can't tell you how much I wanted to slap Carlin in that moment. Immature, unnecessary and cruel.

Yes, I have killed spiders. I live in Australia nearly everything in my country is trying to kill us. Never in my life have I ever gone out of my way to kill or harass a spider that was not a direct threat to me. 

It may just be a spider and some may not see it as a big deal, but the stupidity, thoughtlessness and arrogance of it all, reminded me off the DWreck and the cat sled fiasco.

@AussieKrissy: You know, I agree with you when it comes to ants, caterpillars, bugs... basically everthing that is not a spider. Because did you know they have eight freaking legs?! ? And those legs are all around their body, so you won‘t know where their head is right away which means you won‘t know where they are going next. It could be my directon! They might touch me and make me die! Doesn‘t matter that there are no poisonous spiders in Germany.  They have EIGHT legs! I just can‘t with the legs. And do you know how many baby spiders one spider can make if you let them live? Only a dead spider is a good spider! Sorry, not sorry. 

Can you tell I am one arachnophobic biology teacher? ?

6 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Evan"s insta story, where he was taping Carlin going out her way to spray juice all over a spider that was minding its own business.... "Teaching a child to not squash a caterpillar does as much for the child as it does for the caterpillar".

I can't tell you how much I wanted to slap Carlin in that moment. Immature, unnecessary and cruel.

Yes, I have killed spiders. I live in Australia nearly everything in my country is trying to kill us. Never in my life have I ever gone out of my way to kill or harass a spider that was not a direct threat to me. 

It may just be a spider and some may not see it as a big deal, but the stupidity, thoughtlessness and arrogance of it all, reminded me off the DWreck and the cat sled fiasco.

I got so mad at my nephew (who is a real adult who is 30 years old) when he just reached out his hand and killed a spider coming down from the ceiling. Swedish spiders are not poisonous and it wasn't even close to anyone. His own son and my two kids saw him do it. I gave him a lecture about lesson he was teaching the kids by doing that and he thought I was stupid but I hate when people do things like that. 

@prayawaythefundie I'm with you, i'm seriously arachnophobic. I wouldn't kill a spider... because that would involve getting close to it. I'll call my boyfriend in to do the deed.

I can live and let live if they want to stay in outdoor areas that are far away from me, but if one is in my house? Oh hell no.

7 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

@AussieKrissy: You know, I agree with you when it comes to ants, caterpillars, bugs... basically everthing that is not a spider. Because did you know they have eight freaking legs?! ? And those legs are all around their body, so you won‘t know where their head is right away which means you won‘t know where they are going next. It could be my directon! They might touch me and make me die! Doesn‘t matter that there are no poisonous spiders in Germany.  They have EIGHT legs! I just can‘t with the legs. And do you know how many baby spiders one spider can make if you let them live? Only a dead spider is a good spider! Sorry, not sorry. 

Can you tell I am one arachnophobic biology teacher? ?

Germany must not have centipedes. Cured my fear of spiders right up lol 

I hate spiders, but there really is no sense in going out of your way to kill one that isn't even bothering you. And she wasn't even going to kill it fast, she was trying to drown it. I don't think showing empathy and compassion for others, including things in nature, was taught in the Bates household. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived