IGNORED

Lori Alexander 53: Mourning Mom ... Maybe

I don't even understand his first sentence. Churches are inanimate objects bud, the don't pick careers. If you're talking about the people in a church they don't have control over another person's career unless they're a weird cult. 

And STEM degree aren't the only worthwhile degrees. Teaching anyone? Business? Medicine, English, History, the arts. Our world would be a less vibrant place without education in the Arts. And no community college degrees won't always work. 

Side note: poor Janelle image.thumb.png.8b5545a7cdfade905477bda9def375f5.png

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, polecat said:

As much as I want to judge her for it, though, I'm sure her family is doing better without her there. Death absolutely drains a person's emotional energy. Lori's vampiric neediness would be more than anyone should have to deal with rn.  I wish nothing but peace for the family at this time. 

I suspect she'll milk it for all it's worth once her mom is gone, though -- both irl and online. Histrionics are, after all, Lori's forte. 

This reminds me of my dad’s self-centered youngest sister.  (She’s the one who caused a permanent split in my dad’s large, close-knit family because she insisted on an interpretation of their mother’s will that screwed my dad and his brother and netted her a big extra $1500–which wasn’t even that much in the ‘70s.). When her sister’s brother-in-law died, she was weeping histrionically at his wake, carrying on in a way the man’s poor widow, children, and grandchildren didn’t.

2 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

I don't even understand his first sentence. Churches are inanimate objects bud, the don't pick careers. If you're talking about the people in a church they don't have control over another person's career unless they're a weird cult. 

And STEM degree aren't the only worthwhile degrees. Teaching anyone? Business? Medicine, English, History, the arts. Our world would be a less vibrant place without education in the Arts. And no community college degrees won't always work. 

I thought the same thing when he mentioned community college degrees. There's nothing wrong with going to community college and getting a degree or certificate from one. But, many jobs and employers are going to require four year degrees depending on the jobs and the requirements. 

I always get kind of bugged when some people imply that all four year colleges are extremely expensive. Public colleges in some states aren't extremely expensive for state residents.  But, again Lori and her fans hate public colleges. 

7 minutes ago, lilwriter85 said:

I thought the same thing when he mentioned community college degrees. There's nothing wrong with going to community college and getting a degree or certificate from one. But, many jobs and employers are going to require four year degrees depending on the jobs and the requirements. 

I always get kind of bugged when some people imply that all four year colleges are extremely expensive. Public colleges in some states aren't extremely expensive for state residents.  But, again Lori and her fans hate public colleges. 

Also, another lower-cost option is you could get your associates from a community college and finish your bachelors at a 4-year school.  My state has guaranteed admission to any state school if you graduate from community college.

2 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

I get so annoyed when people say shit like this. Mr. Blessed got his degree in classics, and he has a well paying job now. His job has nothing to do with the classics, but it involves a lot of writing reports. When he was hired, his boss was specifically looking for people with humanities degrees because she needed people who could be relied upon to communicate effectively in writing. I have a friend who works for non-profits, she has a humanities degree. I know a few people who work in publishing, guess what they all have? Humanities degrees. I know a youth pastor, guess what he has? That's right! A humanities degree. 

I also know a few people who went into the arts and are doing just fine for themselves. Professional photographers, antique curators, fashion designers, video game concept artists, all of those people have arts degrees.

I think this guy Alex meant that Churches could do more to help young people with career advisement before they go on to higher education, but he did a crappy job of communicating that. Maybe he should have got a humanities degree?

The dept crisis is real, but it is such bullshit when people insist that STEM degrees are the only things worth studying for. 

Not everyone is going to be interested in STEM degrees or careers.  I have a teenage cousin whose father is a computer engineer and he has tried to push her into STEM. But, math and science subjects aren't areas that she does well in. 

When I was in high school in the early 2000s, college recruiters who visited my school pushed nursing programs and teachers at my school pushed it as well. While, nurses are needed, not everyone is going to want to work in that field and some people aren't able to handle the prereqs. I know someone who considered nursing, but had too much trouble with the prereqs and she switched to another area of study. Another college friend who loved sciences and probably would kicked ass in nursing school decided against a nursing career because he didn't want to to be working crazy hours or overnights. 

Many people thrive in trades/vocation careers and those areas should be encouraged more and I think Lori's fanboy might have been trying to get at that. 

1 hour ago, jadis87 said:

Also, another lower-cost option is you could get your associates from a community college and finish your bachelors at a 4-year school.  My state has guaranteed admission to any state school if you graduate from community college.

Most state-run CCs have 2+2 agreements with the state schools. I know in VA, an AS in Engineering with a 2.5 or better was a guaranteed admission to ODU or VT as a 3rd year student. My daughter has an AS in Computer Science and was admitted as a 3rd year at Colorado State in Computer Science. Here in NV, it's the same. It's not just STEM fields either. Stepdaughter has an AA (I think) in like Sociology and is a 3rd year at another state school for criminal justice. Other stepdaughter's AAS in nursing (RN) was good enough for admission to a BSN program. 

39 minutes ago, lilwriter85 said:

Many people thrive in trades/vocation careers and those areas should be encouraged more and I think Lori's fanboy might have been trying to get at that. 

I agree that trades/vocational training should be more encouraged. Not everyone wants a 4 year degree, depending on interests. Many 2 year schools also offer vo-tech degrees in fields like CNC programming, EMT, welding, dental hygienist, medical assistant, and even my chosen profession, Drafting & Design. My husband took a 3 month vocational class for phlebotomy (including 100 hours externship) and had a job before he finished the program. 

There's a ton of options and skilled trades NEED people like crazy. The pay for these jobs at entry level is usually pretty high with full benefits too...because there's such a shortage. 

I’m also not a natural mathematician or scientist. I went to an all-girls’ school and there were a lot of people who did sciences and maths at A-Level. My brain just isn’t wired that way. 

Languages are in big decline over here. Employers are also interested in those who have languages; I have two to degree level. As part of the degree I spent a year in Germany, which is also attractive to employers as it shows adaptability and so on. Although I hated my year abroad (personal reasons), I stuck it out, so that’s a bonus (resilience). 

My grandma had a talk with me about going into nursing or teaching instead of psychology (which is apparently a STEM degree, I didn't know that). I kinda had to laugh. Those are traditional jobs for females and she insisted they paid more than counseling (which may be true idk). Broken bones, wounds, and blood freak me out. I didn't want to teach much either because I didn't like children. Ironically, once I got into psychology, I developed an interest in how physical health and mental health relate and now I work with children in a health system. Strange where God leads you sometimes. 

I agree with the associates at a community college thing. If it's cheaper and more cost effective that's a good way to go. And trade schools should be emphasized much more. I went straight to four year because I was accepted into the honors program and got to study abroad. If I didn't go right away I wouldn't have been able to do that. More money but I got a great experience out of it. 

Humanity degrees are important. I feel like we're losing the ability to read comprehensively and form effective arguments. It's fallen to the wayside in favor of reactionary, melodramatic nonsense. 

6 hours ago, louisa05 said:

From today's first reading at Catholic mass and many other liturgical churches, from Ephesians Chapter 4:

I am Catholic too (was raised Protestant and attended a Baptist Church for years) and thought this same thing today during church.  Lori love quoting Paul. Well she should take note! 

I took the long way to get my degree. I was forced to go to community college right out of high school. I didn’t know what I wanted to do. I had thought about pastry chef but my mom wanted me to get an associates first. She has only had a barbers liscense, no degree, and had a very hard time finding a job when my dad couldn’t work because of this. She paid for school for a little while but I ended up paying the rest. I was able to pay out of pocket while I figured it out. State school didn’t cost much but having to live on campus/an apartment did. It was a small college town to so there weren’t a lot of jobs that paid anything. College can be expensive but if you are able to live at home it helps keep cost down. Also scholarships are important to look into. A lot of majors have scholarships specific for that degree and they aren’t always grade based.

Spoiler

Please don't put me in FJ jail if I posted this wrong. I got a warning once for a video not under a spoiler, so I hope I did it right.  

Just thought Lori should see this.

46 minutes ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

Ohhhhh....the lady in the video is Latina...I know the hands. Any Latina mama would take little white bitch Lori down a few pegs...and I'd PAY to see that. Big Bucks...

The community college then transfer to university thing sounds amazing on paper. But I always cautioned my students to be very certain that it would be workable for the major they desired. True stories of my cousin's two kids: 

Kid 1: He wanted to go into meteorology. He was fascinated with all things weather. Mommy didn't want him to leave home. So he stayed at home to do "academic transfer" at the local community college. Theory: he would take all his core coursework there then spend two years at the state's flagship university to do his coursework for the major. Reality: He couldn't fit all the required science courses with labs into two years and still get them in the required sequence. Result: He was at the university for a full four years to complete the degree for a grand total of six years to complete an undergraduate degree. 

Kid 2: Had no idea what to do. Mommy had same problem So two years at community college in same program. After year one, she decided she wanted to teach. Stayed at community college. Year three transferred to university. Reality struck: She couldn't get through the field experiences or education coursework in sequence in only two years. She will begin her fourth year at the university this fall, hoping to complete an undergraduate degree in six years like her brother. 

As far as I understand it, if both kids had done only one year at community college for core classes then transferred to the university and done a bit of summer work, they could have finished in 4.5 or 5 years.

I agree that a lot of state schools are a bargain for residents. Nebraska is for sure--in-state tuition here is not quite $7000 a year at the most expensive ones. 

And I will spare you all my rants on pushing all kids to STEM careers or the devaluing of arts and humanities even in secondary schools.  I can rant about both. 

1 hour ago, Free Jana Duggar said:
  Hide contents

Please don't put me in FJ jail if I posted this wrong. I got a warning once for a video not under a spoiler, so I hope I did it right.  

Yes, yes, yes, YES!! (read that in Meg Ryan's orgasmic When Harry Met Sally voice)  This is the best thing I've seen on the internets this week! :laughing-rolling:

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

The community college then transfer to university thing sounds amazing on paper. But I always cautioned my students to be very certain that it would be workable for the major they desired. True stories of my cousin's two kids: 

When I was considering finishing an Engineering degree, the class sequences were stipulated in the 2+2 agreement. Your cousins probably did not consult an academic advisor at the CC to make sure they would fulfill the 2+2 requirements. For 2+2, there are definite stipulations, course sequences, and classes that must be taken to fulfill the agreement. 

7 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

The dept crisis is real, but it is such bullshit when people insist that STEM degrees are the only things worth studying for. 

A guest lecturer I had in one of my education classes in grad school made the very interesting point that one thing contributing to extremism is the over-emphasis on STEM and devaluing of the humanities; when kids and college students only study disciplines that are, for the most part, very black-and-white, right-answer-wrong-answer, with very little introspection or need to understand different points of view or ways of doing something, you'll end up with a mindset that doesn't allow for many shades of grey or critical thinking. He was talking about this in the context of post-conflict and post-colonial education, and I think it's something more people, especially policy makers, ought to consider. Not that they ever will. 

The community college at which I taught several years ago regularly holds “transfer fairs,” in which students are given advice on which courses to take to prepare them for transfer into a four-year public or private college in our state.

This was a damn long time coming: back in the ‘70s, when I was in college, students trying to transfer from one state school to another would regularly get jerked around with things like “We’re not sure that East U’s Intro to American History is exactly the same as *our* Intro to American History, so you’ll have to take it again at our college if you transfer here.”  I noticed this kind of nonsense starting to decline when colleges and universities woke up to the fact that *many* people wanting to earn degrees were adults over 25 who were working full-time for companies with tuition reimbursement programs. The schools realized this new population of highly motivated students and wanted to get them in the doors ASAP.

6 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Most state-run CCs have 2+2 agreements with the state schools. I know in VA, an AS in Engineering with a 2.5 or better was a guaranteed admission to ODU or VT as a 3rd year student. My daughter has an AS in Computer Science and was admitted as a 3rd year at Colorado State in Computer Science. Here in NV, it's the same. It's not just STEM fields either. Stepdaughter has an AA (I think) in like Sociology and is a 3rd year at another state school for criminal justice. Other stepdaughter's AAS in nursing (RN) was good enough for admission to a BSN program. 

I agree that trades/vocational training should be more encouraged. Not everyone wants a 4 year degree, depending on interests. Many 2 year schools also offer vo-tech degrees in fields like CNC programming, EMT, welding, dental hygienist, medical assistant, and even my chosen profession, Drafting & Design. My husband took a 3 month vocational class for phlebotomy (including 100 hours externship) and had a job before he finished the program. 

There's a ton of options and skilled trades NEED people like crazy. The pay for these jobs at entry level is usually pretty high with full benefits too...because there's such a shortage. 

Germany has it's own version of this problem. We have 3 different school diplomas, Hauptschule after 9 years, Realschule after 10 years and Abitur after 12 years of schooling. Only the last diploma will give you access to universities and you got divided up in it after elementary school. 30 years ago, 70 percent of all finished schooling where the first 2 degrees. With Hauptschule you got to vocational training to be mechanics or plumbers or hairdressers or sales persons. With Realschule you got to became clerks or nurses or the more advancend technical jobs. The big difference here is that you are hired as a trainee by the company, are working full time and got a small wage for the 2 to 3,5 years of your training, depending on the job you are training. Going fulltime to school as vocational training is the exception for only a handfull of jobs, like my pharmaceutical technician. Schooling for the job is only 2 days a week. With Abitur, the most of them go to university and that didn't change today. Abitur now has more than 50 percent of the students, because in the last 30 years there was a shift. For more and more parents, anything less than Abitur isn't acceptable and they push their children through it, no matter what. And with more young people with Abitur, the companies are raising their expectations to that. That created the problem that on the one hand, they complain that they didn't find enough trainees, but on the other hand a lot of young people with Hauptschule didn't get a voccational training, because they are overlooked. And with more university students, they became more overcrowded and the wages are dropping, thanks to more people with university diplomas.

I’ve also seen that there is now an excess of engineering degree graduates (or a similar subject) because so many students have been told they should do it for the job prospects... when there weren’t actually that many engineering jobs. It takes three years for an undergrad here, or four for a Masters. There’s no real way of telling how many jobs there will be in a certain field in 3/4/5 years’ time, especially something like engineering and science where the technology is constantly evolving.

(This may just be relevant to the UK IDK).

On 8/11/2018 at 9:33 AM, Momto2Princesses said:

Not sure what he's smoking... I have yet to see one single post in the 2 years I've been following the psycho, that is gentle or kind. Lori does nothing bit screech and blast. She is a hypocrite of the worst kind. Screenshot_20180811-132809.thumb.png.28804ed1a59cd0235513c16b588f1c62.png

Joseph promotes Red Pill videos and philosophies. Surprised? Yeah, me either. 

On 8/11/2018 at 10:44 AM, Sarah92 said:

I hate when people saying things like "they hate the quoting of scripture because they have a problem with God blah blah blah". No people can be upset over the misquoting of scripture which happens ALL THE DAMN TIME. And not just on Lori's page. 

And seriously, her mother is dying and she puts this out? I see mentoring as kinda being a second parent. Imagine walking up to your mother and saying "mom I need help, here's some thing I want to change in my life and I need your help but please don't be to harsh I'm still learning". And then being completely rejected and having your words taken out of context. Not only that but to have your situation mocked by people all over the Internet. This woman came to here in confidence and this is what Lori does. This is not a mentorship its a mockery.

Couldn't agree more. Lori and Ken are hideous people. The only reason I visit her FB page now is to look for women who are potentially being abused by their spouses. Over the past few months I've been able to put together a loose network of people all over the country who are equally appalled at the crap Lori puts out. Together we have been able to assist a few women in leaving their abusers and start a new life. I don't identify as a Christian, but I do believe in a Creator. I suspect the Creator would be pleased with our efforts. 

2 hours ago, EowynW said:

Lori's mom has died, according to Alyssa's instagram. 

I am betting the family wanted Lori to stay completely away from her dying mom in her final days.  IMO this gave Lori an out so she could leave and justify it to herself.

Someone who can't be kind, gentle and loving to a dying person doesn't deserve to be around them.  Her mother didn't need to be burdened with Lori's self-induced problems and constant need to be the center of attention.  I'm happy her mother died peacefully and out of Lori's presence.  She deserved it.  

3 hours ago, livinglongerthanyou said:

Joseph promotes Red Pill videos and philosophies. Surprised? Yeah, me either.  

I'll be honest, I had no idea what Red Pill was before I stumbled onto her craziness. I know extremists exist but this level is just horrifying. 

3 hours ago, livinglongerthanyou said:

The only reason I visit her FB page now is to look for women who are potentially being abused by their spouses. Over the past few months I've been able to put together a loose network of people all over the country who are equally appalled at the crap Lori puts out. Together we have been able to assist a few women in leaving their abusers and start a new life. I don't identify as a Christian, but I do believe in a Creator. I suspect the Creator would be pleased with our efforts. 

Thank you for being a lifeline to these women. I truly believe there is a special place for earth angels like you and you network. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived