IGNORED

Maxwell 23: Backyard Breeding

VaSportsMom

On 8/26/2018 at 3:43 PM, MamaJunebug said:

Ive been a lot of places....

...seen a lot of things. 

Never, EVER felt agoraphobia until I saw the photo captioned, “They walked on a huge rock field.” 

Egads and Little fishes, why would anybody *willingly* want to tramp across that barrenness, on all that broken, jagged rock, at such altitudes and on steep slopes, and with **miles** between themselves and help?!

SMH

Hair spray! I keep an aerosol can on-hand in case of stinging wasps indoors.  Not outdoors — that’s the wasps’ house.  Birds, bees, june bugs (obviously) get into my house, I shoo ‘em.  Flies get swatted, wasps get hair-sprayed.

No charge for that tip. ☺️

stinging wasps

I dunno, I think climbing mountains is pretty fun. The landscape is challenging and alien, and being miles from help teaches you to be self-sufficient. I went to the top of Ben Nevis last Sunday and it really did feel like I was on the moon or some other planet once I got past the point where vegetation grew (I was also cold as fuck and couldn't see more than like 15 feet ahead because the fog was so thick, but I made it to the summit and down again!) Also, not sure how the parks are set up in Colorado, but on Ben Nevis, you're in a rural area and an ambulance can't exactly drive up the mountain, but you really aren't that far from help. It's hardly Everest or K2. 

I snark on a lot of things about the Maxwells and I don't think I'd want to hike/mountaineer with them, but I do share their love of it. 

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure some people find climbing up mountains fun and do it in their free time. I think our snark is more around the fact that a) they don't really do anything else for fun. No lakes, oceans, city breaks, or even, gasp, shock, horror, just staying home but sleeping in and not following a rigid schedule for a few hours. All they ever do for recreational purposes is getting up even earlier than usual and climbing the same old mountains in their same old spot over an over again. And b) every single Maxwell does this with a joyful heart, all consumed by reverence for God's mighty blessing that is having made mountains for them to climb on. Like they don't have separate personalities, likes and dislikes. Until they get married and then they seemingly never climb a mountain ever again. Except for the women, who aren't allowed to marry. And who therefore will just love climbing mountains for ever and ever, amen.

It all feels forced and a bit cult-like. I don't like climbing mountains - when we go on family hikes it's clear to everyone I'm doing it because I want to be with them and not particularly enjoying myself, and they in turn chose hikes they know I'm more likely to enjoy (ie with something other than another stupid mountain to look at in the end, like a castle or a pub or something). And we do things that are not climbing on mountains, that they perhaps enjoy a bit less, but do anyway because they want to be with me. You know, compromise, and actually choosing to do things together, as opposed to cult-like everyone does a death march every year right on schedule and everyone had better enjoy themselves and look the part on a gazillion selfies or else they'll go to hell when they die.

52 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

Sure some people find climbing up mountains fun and do it in their free time. I think our snark is more around the fact that a) they don't really do anything else for fun. No lakes, oceans, city breaks, or even, gasp, shock, horror, just staying home but sleeping in and not following a rigid schedule for a few hours. All they ever do for recreational purposes is getting up even earlier than usual and climbing the same old mountains in their same old spot over an over again. And b) every single Maxwell does this with a joyful heart, all consumed by reverence for God's mighty blessing that is having made mountains for them to climb on. Like they don't have separate personalities, likes and dislikes. Until they get married and then they seemingly never climb a mountain ever again. Except for the women, who aren't allowed to marry. And who therefore will just love climbing mountains for ever and ever, amen.

It all feels forced and a bit cult-like. I don't like climbing mountains - when we go on family hikes it's clear to everyone I'm doing it because I want to be with them and not particularly enjoying myself, and they in turn chose hikes they know I'm more likely to enjoy (ie with something other than another stupid mountain to look at in the end, like a castle or a pub or something). And we do things that are not climbing on mountains, that they perhaps enjoy a bit less, but do anyway because they want to be with me. You know, compromise, and actually choosing to do things together, as opposed to cult-like everyone does a death march every year right on schedule and everyone had better enjoy themselves and look the part on a gazillion selfies or else they'll go to hell when they die.

Why couldn't they take Gigi and let her enjoy the change of scenery from the ground?  The trip I just went on was with my siblings and elderly parents.  No kids-they had to work.  No in-laws either.  The forced closeness is all a show for the Maxwell family business. 

They've taken Gigi in the past, but she mainly sat around the cabin because very little out there is easy for her to get to. 

On 8/26/2018 at 11:17 PM, Hane said:

@MamaJunebug, I agree—that hairspray to 86 wasps is genius! Spray them, their wings freeze, and they plummet to the ground.

Um, does that work on spiders - I know they are God's little critters but they terrify me.

Gigi probably prefers the cruises she has been on with her daughter (when she wears pants) to hanging around in CO waiting for the Steve Maxwell family to summit.

Nothing wrong with hiking up mountains at all for pleasure.  It is just that the Maxhellions do not know about alternatives.  Every single year - August in CO on what some would call a vacation.  Never the Alps.  Never the White Mountains.  Never Banff.  Just the same 14ers in CO.

I think all the Maxwells like those hikes up mountains in CO.  Mary probably adores them on her birthday.  It is all she knows and better than the boredom of Leavenworth, Kansas.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:43 AM, MamaJunebug said:

Egads and Little fishes, why would anybody *willingly* want to tramp across that barrenness, on all that broken, jagged rock, at such altitudes and on steep slopes, and with **miles** between themselves and help?!

It's beautiful!  The bare rocks are scree, and the scree sits at the angle of repose.   There are well defined paths up to the top on most Colorado mountains and you can see forever when you get to the top.  They are above timberline but likely walked through beautiful forests as part of their approach hike. 

Looks like it's about 7 or 8  hours of driving time to Colorado mountains from Kansas, but 26 - 30 hours of driving to get to the West coast.  No mystery to me why they go every year; they live in the flat lands and the Rockies would have a lot of appeal.  At least they get out and do something.  But the denim skirts?  Uck.  For those that know -- Do they climb the same damned mountain every year?

My parents in the the UK would take my sister and I on on a holiday each year to a different place in the UK or France but we were lucky to alaways visit Norfolk, England for an additional what some would call a vacation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eccles_on_Sea

staying in a bungalow, which in the US is called a cabin.....

so maybe I’ve been too harsh.

56 minutes ago, Howl said:

It's beautiful!  The bare rocks are scree, and the scree sits at the angle of repose.   There are well defined paths up to the top on most Colorado mountains and you can see forever when you get to the top.  They are above timberline but likely walked through beautiful forests as part of their approach hike. 

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet the color of the sky at 14000 feet. Sarah's pictures don't show it because she doesn't use any filters on her camera, but it's such a much deeper blue that what you're used to seeing in the lowlands. Where I live it's hard to get above the treeline, but when I do, it's really beautiful.

59 minutes ago, Howl said:

For those that know -- Do they climb the same damned mountain every year?

I think they are trying to tick off every 14'er in Colorado. They may do some a second time but it seems like they try for at least a couple of different ones every year.

4 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet the color of the sky at 14000 feet. Sarah's pictures don't show it because she doesn't use any filters on her camera, but it's such a much deeper blue that what you're used to seeing in the lowlands. Where I live it's hard to get above the treeline, but when I do, it's really beautiful.

I think they are trying to tick off every 14'er in Colorado. They may do some a second time but it seems like they try for at least a couple of different ones every year.

why don't they go at it on extended vacations? they don't have jobs or school to return to...

3 hours ago, freejugar said:

why don't they go at it on extended vacations? they don't have jobs or school to return to...

If they stay away too long, Melanie might start wearing pants. Or Anna Marie might decide to get back into soap making and start vending at the local farmer's market. Or Gigi might decide to buy a bottle of white zinfandel and have a little sip or two before bedtime. Must. Not. Lose. Control.

6 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Never the Alps.  Never the White Mountains.  Never Banff.  Just the same 14ers in CO.

TBF there are tons of 14ers in Colorado and those are the closest mountains to them.

But what I wouldn't give to see the Maxwells do the Alps. Or the Annapurna Circuit. Or Denali. Heck, do Emeishan in China...though that's only 10,000 feet and there's a giant golden statue of Buddha at the top (and you stay in monasteries overnight on the way up). 

if you can really picture a rock being comfortable? It has to be the right smoothness and angle to be able to lay back on

I’m a top Sarah, but shaved smooth is good....

I get the critique of the annual CO hike, but I can honestly see the appeal of the outing - for lots of reasons.  I am a hiker and love to hike.  I regularly spend my weekends slogging through long walks, though I don't live near mountains so that would be novel for me.  I did recently return to from Iceland where there is some fantastic hiking.  The view there is also that beautiful but bleak rocky vista.  I loved it.  Normally I am hiking through mosquito infested dense woodland.  Hiking the CO mountains are on my bucket list, but so is the Grand Canyon, the Scottish highlands, and the Camino.  You'd think the Camino or other such spiritual journeys might be something that would appeal to the Maxwells - though maybe not the Camino because, you know, Catholic.

I grew up in a family that never vacationed together.  LIke, never.  My father was not inclined to spend concentrated time with the family and my guess is budget (or lack thereof) also factored in the decision.  We visited family from time to time, but that was about it.  I have no happy memories of family time in cottages, hiking, road trips, and so on (I made sure to correct that with my kids!).  So I think it is nice that they have the annual outing to look forward to - even if they don't mix it up.  They do some fun stuff - hiking, campfires, board games - I like those sorts of holidays.

And with regard to mixing it up, my kids LOVE traditions and to this day value annual, unchanging traditions.  When they were little we camped regularly.  We often went to the same campground because it was familiar (with little kids that helped), reasonably close, affordable, and had wonderful beaches.  As the kids grew older we tried to mix it up and propose new campsites, or (gasp) new vacation ideas such as road trips, and so on - the kids revolted!  They wanted the summer to include the annual camping tradition to at THIS SPECIFIC CAMPGROUND. They declined some pretty awesome holiday proposals to have this annual camping tradition.  My kids are all older now and we STILL return annual for a week of camping at the same campground - not all the kids can go every year, but we always have a week where we are there.  However, I think the difference is that we also did (and do) different things with our kids as well - road trips, a cruise, Disney when they were little, and so on. 

This is just a general tad of info about Jansas vs.  The Rockies: northeast KS, including Leavenworth, is not flat.  When I spent happy times visiting the big L, I had lots of bug-sized hikes up and down the hills and along the Missouri River bluffs. 

No big thing, just a little extra info about the rough and the plains, to paraphrase the Bible (somewhere).  Hee.

I’ll co-sign those who say climbing & hiking can be fun and that its the Maxborg’s ability to make fun seem dreary:  this trip has taken on a much better face since PSarah’s featured FJesse’s photography!  Contrast her dull, panoramic views with his composition and use of light!

i couldn’t see Anna Elizabeth AT ALL in the “recliner rocks” photo til I zoomed about 1000%! PSarah may love the CO v?c?tions but her depictions of same are SOOO UNINSPIRED. 

While all that hiking would not be for me, I can see the appeal. The Maxwells like to vacation where people are generally covered so as not to tempt their Brothers in Christ. Hikers at the altitude tend to be dressed. The scenery is rugged and magestic and although I am not religious I often have spiritual moments when I reflect on the beauty. The Maxwells would surely have moments like that where they will thank their creator for such wonderous natural beauty. Maxwells are not allowed competitive sports, but they can compete and challenge themselves and their siblings on vigorous hikes. Maxwells embrace the familiar, so having the same cabin, same trails, same lakes is comforting for them. 

8 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

TBF there are tons of 14ers in Colorado and those are the closest mountains to them.

But what I wouldn't give to see the Maxwells do the Alps. Or the Annapurna Circuit. Or Denali. Heck, do Emeishan in China...though that's only 10,000 feet and there's a giant golden statue of Buddha at the top (and you stay in monasteries overnight on the way up). 

For a fair number of the 14'ers they've "conquered", the trailhead starts at around 12,000 feet, so not such an ordeal, if you have reasonable cardio fitness, which they all seem to. 

14 hours ago, freejugar said:

Because they might ENJOY that, Silly! :laughing-rollingyellow:

Today's 14er post

Wow, Sarah--mountain lingo! "14er" so hip!

I couldn't make myself read all the captions on the photos. She calls herself a writer.....??? Here's as far as I got: 

"Take a break to de-layer. As you can see, it was at an angle not terribly conducive for
one’s Camelbak to stay in one’s possession."

If you aren't a British royal, it's probably best to skip trying to use "one," Sarah Sweetie.

Hey, do ya'll remember when Abbie asked to feed the chipmunks again...and Steve asked her to pray about it? Not sure this is the same area. I remember seeing pics of them hand feeding chipmunks. I mean, what's the big deal? Why make her pray about it??

42 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Hey, do ya'll remember when Abbie asked to feed the chipmunks again...and Steve asked her to pray about it? Not sure this is the same area. I remember seeing pics of them hand feeding chipmunks. I mean, what's the big deal? Why make her pray about it??

Why not? I am sure she has to pray about which pencil to use with her latest worksheet!

I know Mary is probably just talking to a sister in law or “sweet friend” but I really wish it was a guy. The only way these girls will get out from under Steve’s thumb is through marriage. The only problem is the guy could be just as controlling as Steve...

D698ABB6-F23D-4A0E-A931-326A5D05A696.jpeg

while i understood what Sarah meant by the birthday phone call, i couldn't help but get a mental image of a prison phone call, like this was some sort of privilege just because it's her birthday.  

and with her foot propped up on the bench the way she does, i hope she has leggings under that skirt.  

Leadville Colorado! Highest incorporated city in the United States! It is at 10,152 feet (3,094 m).  I stayed there once in an old hotel and I remember feeling pooped after climbing one flight of stairs with suitcases.  Then I had a margarita at dinner--and felt totally wasted. Alcohol + high altitudes= good times.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived