IGNORED

Roseanne reboot cancelled after racist twitter rant

47of74

When Rosanne played on nick and night back in the day after my cartoons my mom would never let me watch it and as I gotten older it's' making all the sense as to why.

• Upvote 6

Friendly reminder that while we were all distracted by Rosanne, this happened:

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

When Rosanne played on nick and night back in the day after my cartoons my mom would never let me watch it and as I gotten older it's' making all the sense as to why.

Nick at Nite isn't showing reruns of the original series.  I'm not sure if other channels were showing original episodes, but I'm sure they've been yanked, too.

• Upvote 2

I see fuck face is whining about ABC now.

President Donald Trump is escalating a feud with ABC in the wake of the cancellation of "Roseanne."

Trump targeted Robert Iger, who is chief executive of ABC's parent Walt Disney Co., on Twitter Thursday. Trump says: "Iger, where is my call of apology? You and ABC have offended millions of people, and they demand a response."

I hope ABC stands up to fuck face but I'm worried they'll bend over backwards to appease that orange fuck.

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, JMarie said:

I was thinking about how many fundies have seen that video (or even know who Ray Comfort is) vs. how many conservatives think Michele Obama is a Food Nazi.  Plus, I was afraid my creative juices had evaporated, because I couldn't think of the next chapter of The Life of Thorazine, as told in pictures (Magnolia Pearl thread).

Oooh, maybe Rosanne's slot could be taken by a NEW show - Magnolia Pearl! It would be a surreal fever dream, like a country-post-apocalyptic-Twin Peaks. In the final episode Thorazine would wake up in her normal city apartment, getting ready to go to her normal job in her normal business clothes, and say "Wow, I had the strangest dream last night..."

I'd watch that.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

Oooh, maybe Rosanne's slot could be taken by a NEW show - Magnolia Pearl! It would be a surreal fever dream, like a country-post-apocalyptic-Twin Peaks. In the final episode Thorazine would wake up in her normal city apartment, getting ready to go to her normal job in her normal business clothes, and say "Wow, I had the strangest dream last night..."

I'd watch that.

We need a new Maude type show where the liberal matriarch invites Republicans who slither in to her life to go fornicate themselves in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, JMarie said:

Nick at Nite isn't showing reruns of the original series.  I'm not sure if other channels were showing original episodes, but I'm sure they've been yanked, too.

I had all the old episodes set to record on my DVR and they are all showing zero now so I'm guessing they've all been yanked. 

I feel the need to chime in because I was a huge fan of the original series and liked the new one too. I was close to Darlene's age and always kind of related to her. Now my daughter has been watching the original series and loves Darlene too. We are both bummed that the show has been cancelled, but I am way more bummed to find out what kind of person Roseanne really is. I remember controversy about her back in the 90s but didn't really keep up with her personal life. I guess I just really wanted to believe that she was like the character on the show–hard working, blue collar feminist. Now I've seen her true colors and I'm really just disappointed in her. She's on the same level as the Orange Menace for me now. 

I think I have mentioned before that my husband voted for Trump. We are very much alike in most ways EXCEPT politics. I don't get it because my husband is part Mexican! I'm like, what gives!? You want to build a wall to keep your own people out? How do you think you guys got here? Makes no sense. 

(And I had not heard about the numbers of those killed in the hurricane. Thank you for bringing that up @47of74)

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

I watched the original Roseanne show.  I liked Jackie's character and Dan's too, and I did laugh when they would purposely embarrass their kids in public.  I think it was a rare show for its time, in that it did try to portray working class people.  Whereas the Cosby Show showed an affluent black family, and no serious issues were ever really dealt with (like, did Theo or Dr. Huxtable ever get pulled over driving while black?  Come on, it had to have happened!  Or did Claire Huxtable ever experience either racial discrimination or sexual harrassment?  Never?  Really?)  So at least on Roseanne, it did attempt to discuss some issues that struggling families dealt with (like two parents working and trying to deal with raising kids at the same time, who cooks dinner, how are we going to make our bills this month, etc.)

I refused to watch the reboot, because by then I was well aware that Roseanne had either turned into a racist or had always been one and now felt free to let it show.  Plus, she's a big fan of every conspiracy theory about Democrats.  She's an awful person, but she has enough money that she feels she can just let it all hang out and what are you gonna do about it?  However, with networks and other platforms (like Hulu) pulling the original show - maybe that is actually going to hurt her financially.  No more residuals for you.  Sadly, this will also affect every actor on the show.  She really screwed a whole lot of people just to satisfy her need to be publicly and despicably racist.  

• Upvote 13

@RainbowSky, I must have hit a nerve. What an unintelligent response, no defense of your post, just a middle finger. I ain't got time for this, IGNORE.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 2

On 5/30/2018 at 9:53 AM, AmazonGrace said:

I thought she was supposed to leave Twitter

Her leaving Twitter, coming back to Twitter, sorry, not sorry saga makes me all stompy. 

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Upvote 3

On 5/29/2018 at 11:11 AM, Cartmann99 said:

I'm honestly stunned that they cancelled it since it had such good ratings. I figured the almighty dollar would win. 

I think it had such good ratings because it showed Trump supporters as good, decent people who were just concerned about their jobs and their children's futures. Which is actually how Hillary Clinton characterized the majority of Trump supporters. But it was immediately obvious even then that they were going to need a bigger basket for the "Deplorables" since that's how most Trumpers decided to identify.

On 5/29/2018 at 2:10 PM, fraurosena said:

Word.

Well, the first Repugliklan apologist has come out in defense of poor Roseanne, who vehementy apologized ya’ll!

Proof, as if it were needed, that Cain is an idiot. Not since Dan Quayle pilloried "Murphy Brown" for being pregnant out of wedlock has a politician so thoroughly demonstrated his inability to distinguish between a television sitcom and the real world. Cain said on Fox that he knew Roseanne wasn't a racist because he's watched the show and there was nothing racist about it. Right, because there's no such thing as acting, or reciting lines, is there?

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 8

5 hours ago, PumaLover said:

I don't get it because my husband is part Mexican!

Not only that but bragging about sexually harassing women! I will never understand why people who voted for him.

Rosanne was considered evil when I was growing up and I never watched the show. I remember hearing lots of criticism of both her as a person and her as a character. I would have never guessed that she would have turned into the darling of the Evangelical GOP. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

Congressman Don Beyer is a straight-shooter.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 4

Roseanne is still going at it,  pleading for another chance, forgiveness, understanding.  She is trying to claim she thought Jarrett was white, as if that makes her tweet okay.  I'm even more disgusted than before, but also so uncomfortable watching what appears to be a public breakdown.  Reality smacked her so hard, after years of alternative facts, that it has shocked the heck out of her.  I bet a lot of people are also refusing her calls.  It's hard to be a pariah, but she better get used to it.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Rick Wilson, my favorite Republican strategist, media consultant and ardent Never Trumper wordsmith, is tearing it up over at the Daily Beast.  His new piece dropped last night at 10:32 pm.

Teaser:  "We could discuss how Roseanne is infected with the same strain of dumb conspiracy disease that has eaten the brains of much of the GOP base like a memetic Creutzfeldt-Jacob prionic parasite."

Anyway, Rick Wilson assures us that the filming of Season 2 was well underway when the series was cancelled, but "someone" has leaked summaries of Season 2, Episodes 1-7, and he is willing to share these now lost treasures with you, the reader. 

YOU'LL LAUGH, YOU'LL CRY; Found: Roseanne Season 2, the Lost Episodes

(Keep scrolling as you're reading; there are some largish ads that might make you think you're at the end but you're not).  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

11 hours ago, Howl said:

Rick Wilson, my favorite Republican strategist, media consultant and ardent Never Trumper wordsmith, is tearing it up over at the Daily Beast.  His new piece dropped last night at 10:32 pm.

Teaser:  "We could discuss how Roseanne is infected with the same strain of dumb conspiracy disease that has eaten the brains of much of the GOP base like a memetic Creutzfeldt-Jacob prionic parasite."

I love his new name for the orange menace: "King Stompy Foot of the Kingdom of Delicate Egos"

• Upvote 7

Sara Gilbert backed ABC over their decision to cancel the show.

Roseanne” star and executive producer Sara Gilbert addressed the show’s cancellation for the first time on Monday’s episode of “The Talk.”

“I would like to say this has a been a very difficult week,” a solemn Gilbert told the live studio audience. “A lot of people have been hurt by this. I will say that I’m proud of the show we made. The show has always been about diversity, love and inclusion, and it’s sad to see it end in this way. I’m sad for the people who lost their jobs in the process. However, I do stand behind the decision that ABC made.”

Gilbert was one of the driving forces behind the “Roseanne” revival and was one of the first to address Barr’s tweet, in which she compared Jarrett to an ape, after it was posted.

Although Gilbert on Monday mentioned the many who lost their jobs as a result of the cancellation, all hope might not be lost just yet. The Los Angeles Times reported Friday that ABC would be open to a potential reboot focusing on other members of the Conner family — just so long as Barr was not financially or creatively involved with the new iteration in any way.

• Upvote 6

Lemme guess, she inhaled some more ambien?

After Roseanne Barr penned a tweet about former Obama-era aide Valerie Jarrett last week, she took to Twitter Tuesday to say she was making amends for her offensive message. On the same day, she retweeted a message from one of her supporters that essentially claimed Jarrett was anti-Semitic.

“I'm making restitution for the pain I have caused,” she claimed, garnering 16,000 likes.

Then she shared a post from one of her followers. “You didn't cause any pain. Those people always hated you,” it said. “Valerie Jarrett wants Israelis and Jews chased into the sea, and she'll celebrate.”

• WTF 4

• 2 weeks later...

"ABC Plans a ‘Roseanne’ Spinoff, Without Roseanne Barr"

Spoiler

Roseanne Barr may be finished, but the Conners are not.

Less than a month after ABC canceled the hit revival of “Roseanne” because of a racist tweet by Ms. Barr, the network has decided to go forward with a spinoff that will not include her. ABC said that Ms. Barr would not receive any payment from the network for the spinoff series, which is tentatively titled “The Conners.”

The sitcom that bore her name was canceled in May after Ms. Barr used her Twitter account to liken Valerie Jarrett, a former special adviser to President Barack Obama who is African-American, to the offspring of the Muslim Brotherhood and “Planet of the Apes.” ABC ended the series the day after Ms. Barr posted the line on Twitter.

The spinoff, which is scheduled to return to ABC in the fall, will include the principal cast members John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf and Sara Gilbert. The writing staff and top producers, including Tom Werner of Werner Entertainment, will return, as well. The Roseanne character’s daughter, Darlene, who is played by Ms. Gilbert, is expected to be the new anchor of the family.

How the writers will explain the absence of its former protagonist remains an open question.

In a statement, Ms. Barr said: “I regret the circumstances that have caused me to be removed from ‘Roseanne.’ I agreed to the settlement in order that 200 jobs of beloved cast and crew could be saved, and I wish the best for everyone involved.”

In a joint statement, Mr. Goodman, Ms. Gilbert, Ms. Metcalf and fellow cast members Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman said: “We have received a tremendous amount of support from fans of our show, and it’s clear that these characters not only have a place in our hearts, but in the hearts and homes of our audience.

“We all came back last season because we wanted to tell stories about the challenges facing a working-class family today,” the statement continued. “We are so happy to have the opportunity to return with the cast and crew to continue to share those stories through love and laughter.”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

"ABC Plans a ‘Roseanne’ Spinoff, Without Roseanne Barr"

Hide contents

Roseanne Barr may be finished, but the Conners are not.

Less than a month after ABC canceled the hit revival of “Roseanne” because of a racist tweet by Ms. Barr, the network has decided to go forward with a spinoff that will not include her. ABC said that Ms. Barr would not receive any payment from the network for the spinoff series, which is tentatively titled “The Conners.”

The sitcom that bore her name was canceled in May after Ms. Barr used her Twitter account to liken Valerie Jarrett, a former special adviser to President Barack Obama who is African-American, to the offspring of the Muslim Brotherhood and “Planet of the Apes.” ABC ended the series the day after Ms. Barr posted the line on Twitter.

The spinoff, which is scheduled to return to ABC in the fall, will include the principal cast members John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf and Sara Gilbert. The writing staff and top producers, including Tom Werner of Werner Entertainment, will return, as well. The Roseanne character’s daughter, Darlene, who is played by Ms. Gilbert, is expected to be the new anchor of the family.

How the writers will explain the absence of its former protagonist remains an open question.

In a statement, Ms. Barr said: “I regret the circumstances that have caused me to be removed from ‘Roseanne.’ I agreed to the settlement in order that 200 jobs of beloved cast and crew could be saved, and I wish the best for everyone involved.”

In a joint statement, Mr. Goodman, Ms. Gilbert, Ms. Metcalf and fellow cast members Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman said: “We have received a tremendous amount of support from fans of our show, and it’s clear that these characters not only have a place in our hearts, but in the hearts and homes of our audience.

“We all came back last season because we wanted to tell stories about the challenges facing a working-class family today,” the statement continued. “We are so happy to have the opportunity to return with the cast and crew to continue to share those stories through love and laughter.”

Yeah I heard about that too.  I wonder if the Branch Trumpvidians will be willing to watch or not now that their second favorite racist is off the air now?

• I Agree 3

Great tweet with many, many hilarious responses about Roseanne's demise: 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Howl said:

Great tweet with many, many hilarious responses about Roseanne's demise: 

She spontaneous combustion from the caustic racist acid she spews forth on Twitter.

ETA: I don't think it is a coal-mine accident because that would mean she could hold down a respectable job.

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Upvote 4

We need a “smallest violin in the world” reaction.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 2