IGNORED

Roseanne reboot cancelled after racist twitter rant

47of74

7 hours ago, kpmom said:

I never watched the reboot because it never seemed plausible to me that the Roseanne Conner of the 1990's would support Trump.  She always came across as a feminist who wanted a better life for her daughters than she had.

I couldn't picture that Roseanne supporting a man who talked about grabbing women by their genitals and who made that remark about blood coming out of her whatever.  It just didn't make sense to me.

I had always thought that Roseanne back in the 90s billed herself as a strong feminist who was somewhat pro-lgbt. Her original sitcom had it's most controversial moment when the title character was kissed by a woman in a lesbian bar. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Lookie what I found....

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

Did you see the tweet about Valerie Jarett?It was reprehensible and indeed crossed several lines. I didn't consider watching the reboot because of Roseannes's support of dumpy. Fuck her.

Yep. And I'm still not sure why this in particular made everyone jump. She's been outspoken, brash, rude, and said off the wall crazy shit for 30+ years.  She cooks Jews dressed as Hitler and *shrug* she gets her show back. She references a Black woman and an ape and people absolutely lose their shit.

Its just odd to me.

It's not like this was the first time 

Maybe you should start making entertainers sign clauses that they get canned if they spew racist shit or rape anyone.

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Maybe you should start making entertainers sign clauses that they get canned if they spew racist shit or rape anyone.

So what would that look like then? "The entertainer shall show a basic sense of morality?"

What kind of world are we living in that this would be necessary?

• Upvote 6

"The ‘Roseanne’ saga mirrors the Trump story. Let’s hope they end the same."

Spoiler

Life comes at you fast. One day you’re the star of a prime-time sitcom, the next you’ve been fired for racist comments on Twitter.

I’m talking about Roseanne Barr, of course, the comedian whose eponymous ABC program “Roseanne” ended a surprisingly successful comeback season last week. Unfortunately for Barr, the show’s planned second season was canceled Tuesday afternoon, after her racist tweet about Valerie Jarrett, an adviser to President Barack Obama — “muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj,” it said — went viral.

Am I surprised? Not at all, and no one else should be, either. Americans should be used to this cycle by now, as we are all living through it on a much larger and more destructive scale. Yes: The Roseanne saga is a microcosm of the Trump experience, America’s past 18 months writ small.

Truly, it has everything.

You could begin with the reemergence of the show and its star in its most general sense, which paralleled Donald Trump’s emergence and popularity almost exactly. “Roseanne” the show was a reboot of the kitschy 1990s-era franchise and was freshly celebrated for bravely uplifting the views of a “real America.” (That America is white and working-class, naturally, and apparently underrepresented — if “underrepresented” means the same thing as “the subject of incessant media coverage.”) On the show, Roseanne thinks all Muslims are terrorists and her husband calls immigrants “illegals.” But she’s not really a racist, we’re told, and he’s just economically anxious. Sound familiar?

And then there is Roseanne Barr the person, who has a history of making inflammatory statements and pushing right-wing conspiracy theories — whether it’s lending credence to a bizarre theory that Democrats ran a pedophile ring; making wild insinuations about the death of Democratic National Committee employee Seth Rich; or accusing businessman and philanthropist George Soros of Nazism and attempts to undermine American democracy. Still, Barr was celebrated for being “outspoken,” “provocative” and “not politically correct” — right up until her tweet referring to a successful black woman as an ape, an obviously racist statement that she still refuses to acknowledge as such. Barr only regrets making a “bad joke about [Jarrett’s] politics and her looks.” “Very fine people,” anyone?

Which leads to the mystifyingly timid media coverage of such appalling events, delivered by outlets that have an odd discomfort with putting a name to the obvious. “Roseanne Barr attacks former Obama adviser in racially-charged tweet,” read a headline from the Hill on Tuesday morning. “Roseanne Barr Starts Storm With Offensive Twitter Post About Ex-Obama Adviser,” said an early article from the New York Times. “Roseanne Rips Ex-Obama Aide Valerie Jarrett,” read the entertainment site the Wrap. No, Barr’s tweet was racist, not just offensive or racially charged. It wasn’t a “rip,” it was a bigoted personal attack. (Also, in the real world, President Trump’s “misleading statements” are just called lies.) This should not be so difficult to say.

Finally, there is the way the whole story has played out. It all happened on Twitter, over a lightning-fast news cycle. There was a series of thoughtless comments, a speedy backlash fueled by public outrage, a ridiculous defense, a disingenuous apology and, almost certainly, a star who will soon say — give it time, everyone — that she has been unfairly attacked by the left, turning her into a martyr for the right-wing cause. (Oh, and don’t forget the obligatory Don Jr. retweet.)

This is the exhausting Trumpian circus we’ve been living with for months now, and it shows no signs of calming down. The ringmaster may be different in this instance, but it’s the same dispiriting show.

There is only one place where the two stories don’t line up, at least not yet. ABC, the television network responsible for the “Roseanne” reboot, was wise enough to pull the plug on the second season after its star revealed once again who she really was. Will America do the same with Season 2 of the Trump administration? Frighteningly, it is still too soon to say.

• Upvote 11

I've already started seeing "I Stand With Roseanne" memes on FB. :pb_rollseyes:

• WTF 10

If this was what she took the time to think out, type out and check the spelling of what was she saying to, and about and in the hearing of the little girl who played DJ’s daughter ?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I thought she was supposed to leave Twitter

Yeah I thought so too. If ABC had let her keep the show she might have stayed off a few hours longer then snuck back on once the furor died down.
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

"ABC wouldn’t have canned ‘Roseanne’ over a mere ‘racially charged’ tweet"

Spoiler

On Tuesday afternoon, CNN host Michael Smerconish called it all a “no brainer . . . Move on to the next case” in reference to a news story: ABC has canceled “Roseanne” after the show’s name star, Roseanne Barr, tweeted this: “Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.” The “vj” is Valerie Jarrett, who served as an adviser to President Barack Obama and is African American.

News outlet after news outlet after news outlet after news outlet recognized the offense here: Racism. You may not compare an African American woman to an ape and get away with a lesser offense.

And yet!

The Hill has chosen this formulation: “Roseanne Barr targets former Obama adviser in racially charged tweet.” The story starts this way: “‘Roseanne’ star Roseanne Barr attacked former Obama White House adviser Valerie [Jarrett] on Tuesday in a tweet alleging connections to the Muslim Brotherhood that many have called racist.”

Italics added to highlight phrasing that should be properly edited as follows: “alleging connections to the Muslim Brotherhood that many have called racist because it is.”

Another headline from The Hill: “Scarborough calls for ABC to stop airing ‘Roseanne’ over racial tweet.” Racial? This is a “racial” tweet:

There’s more hedging out there, too. The Hollywood Reporter: “Roseanne Barr on Tuesday attacked former President Obama White House adviser Valerie Jarrett in a since deleted tweet alleging connections to the Muslim Brotherhood that is being called racist by many.” Breitbart: “Roseanne Barr Quits Twitter, Apologizes for Racially Charged Valerie Jarrett Tweet.” Newsweek: “Wanda Sykes Quits ‘Roseanne’ After Barr’s Racially Charged Twitter Rant.” The Wrap: “ABC has canceled ‘Roseanne’ after Roseanne Barr’s racially charged tweet about Valerie Jarrett Tuesday morning, with Disney CEO Robert Iger tweeting that the decision was ‘the only thing to do here,’ and ‘the right thing.’ ”

As commentator after commentator has noted, the ABC reboot of “Roseanne” clocked in at three times the ratings expectations of ABC entertainment executives; it proved to be among the top shows on television. Meaning, ABC brass would never have bagged the program if Barr’s comments had been merely “racially charged.”

• Upvote 9

Awww, someone's feeling persecuted: "Roseanne Barr blames Wanda Sykes, lashes out at co-stars: ‘You throw me under the bus’"

Spoiler

Roseanne Barr’s Twitter saga didn’t end with the cancellation of her show Tuesday. Early Wednesday morning, she was back at it, first blaming Ambien and defensively comparing ABC’s response to her racist and otherwise offensive tweetstorm to those of other celebrities who have made controversial comments.

But then she turned to a surprising target — her “Roseanne” team. She reposted a tweet by Sara Gilbert, the actress who played her daughter, Darlene, on the show and served as executive producer. Gilbert had called Barr’s initial comments “abhorrent,” saying they “do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show. I am disappointed in her actions to say the least.”

“Wow! unreal,” Roseanne wrote in response. Later, she moderated her stance: “no, I understand her

... < tweet >

She also retweeted a long post by Michael Fishman, who played her son, D.J. In his tweet, the actor bemoaned the impact of Barr’s words on the cast and crew and said the show’s story lines were often about inclusiveness. “i created the platform for that inclusivity and you know it. ME,” Barr wrote. “You throw me under the bus. nice!”

... < tweet >

And Barr pointed a finger at Wanda Sykes, the show’s consulting producer, for ultimately causing the show’s demise.  Sykes had responded to Barr’s invective by announcing via Twitter that she wouldn’t return to the show. She wrote of Sykes, “her tweet made ABC very nervous and they cancelled the show.”

... < tweet >

Barr seemed to liken the reaction from her co-stars and those a supporter called “her underlings” to the way President Trump complains about members of his administration being “disloyal.” In response to tweets calling out Gilbert and Emma Kenney, who plays Barr’s granddaughter, Barr wrote, “i feel bad for @POTUS-he goes thru this every single day.”

... < tweet >

And she said she thinks the reason ABC pulled the plug was a threatened boycott by advertisers.

... < tweet >

Barr had earlier apologized to members of the cast and crew, but the tweet was deleted. “I just want to apologize to the hundreds of people, and wonderful writers (all liberal) and talented actors who lost their jobs on my show due to my stupid tweet,” she wrote.

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1

It shows none of her apologies were heartfelt in the least bit. She apologized because she thought she had to in order to keep her show but since it's already canceled she can let go and show us she meant it and thought she was right to say all that racist stuff all along.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

And now she's blaming Ambien. Sure Roseanne.

10 hours ago, RainbowSky said:

Yep. And I'm still not sure why this in particular made everyone jump. She's been outspoken, brash, rude, and said off the wall crazy shit for 30+ years.  She cooks Jews dressed as Hitler and *shrug* she gets her show back. She references a Black woman and an ape and people absolutely lose their shit.

Its just odd to me.

I have to say, I haven't paid the slightest attention to her in many years until this tweet. This becoming news likely stirred up plenty of other people who had practically forgotten she existed.

Also, I'm thinking it's part of things coming to some sort of head. As many racists are becoming more emboldened and more open about sharing their racism as they feel the President supports them, many others are noticing racism (and other prejudices) more and more. As racists become more bold, more and more others are speaking out against racism. What might have gotten "Ugh, that Roseanne. Stirring things up for publicity." a few years ago, is now getting "OK, this is too much, we can't overlook this sort of thing anymore." Every new thing is the last straw for SOMEBODY.

I'm not sure I explained that well, but I guess what I'm trying to say is it is a shift in the culture. Thirty years ago, lots of racist stuff got a shrug. I find that generally, people who grew up knowing people of all races are less likely to be blatantly racist, which is one of the reasons it bothers me that so many of our politicians are so old. As an example, my mom is younger than Trump, and her high school wasn't integrated until her senior year, and even then there were only 2 or 3 black students. She didn't grow up with friends of other races, so she's had to unlearn a lot of prejudices she learned from HER parents.

• Upvote 13

10 hours ago, RainbowSky said:

Its just odd to me.

It's because her show has been a big hit and her profile is now much higher.  

• Upvote 1

What a peach.

I was too young to watch Version 1 of Roseanne, but she always struck me as crass... I did get the impression though, that she was supposed to be a liberal feminist! And instead she turns out to be a racist conspiracy theorist. :my_huh:
I did note from her Wikipedia entry: "At 16, Barr was hit by a car; the incident left her with a traumatic brain injury." My mom was in a car accident 10 years ago, and though there was no mention of brain injury that I know of, it was a bad one. Kind of makes me wonder if there's a correlation between brain injuries and support for Trump/conspiracy theories/thinking it's totally okay to be racist in 2018.

• Upvote 9

But what about me? Me me me! Everyone is talking about Roseanne but no one's asking how I am holding up.

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 10

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 4

I'm getting ads on fj from Mormon.com and they want to send me a free Bible, this is ironically funny. 

Sad about Roseanne but she has always been RUDE and vulgar. I always liked the show. Too bad they can't pull a "the part of Roseanne will now be played by "

Now thinking about people who could play it and cracking up.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Because it's all about him:

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

16 hours ago, Briefly said:
22 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

But the son's daughter is mixed race and one of Darlene's children is a boy but likes to wear girl clothing.  I have not seen the show, that's just what I've heard.

Before Trump, the religious stations would have shied away from a show with a mixed race couple and a male child who wears clothing designed for female children, because it would reduce the amount of money donated by their viewers, and Granny Johnson from Muleshoe, TX would have written them a nasty letter.

After Trump, those same stations are making decisions based on keeping Trump and his fans happy. Since Roseanne and Trump are currently fans of each other, the stations would take the risk of offending viewers who still get the vapors over miscegenation and gender roles not being enforced to their satisfaction. They know that the bulk of their audience is currently comprised of rabid Trump fans, and unless Trump comes out against the show, Granny Johnson is going to either be quiet about the stuff she used to pearl-clutch over, or publicly renounce her previous position in order to align herself with Trump.

Now, do I think that the odds are really high that a station like TBN is going to start showing Roseanne? No, but if extremely wealthy people like the Mercers start thinking that it would help them to achieve their goals to have Roseanne back on the air, then who knows what sort of backroom deals could be made.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

Before Trump, the religious stations would have shied away from a show with a mixed race couple and a male child who wears clothing designed for female children, because it would reduce the amount of money donated by their viewers, and Granny Johnson from Muleshoe, TX would have written them a nasty letter.

After Trump, those same stations are making decisions based on keeping Trump and his fans happy. Since Roseanne and Trump are currently fans of each other, the stations would take the risk of offending viewers who still get the vapors over miscegenation and gender roles not being enforced to their satisfaction. They know that the bulk of their audience is currently comprised of rabid Trump fans, and unless Trump comes out against the show, Granny Johnson is going to either be quiet about the stuff she used to pearl-clutch over, or publicly renounce her previous position in order to align herself with Trump.

Now, do I think that the odds are really high that a station like TBN is going to start showing Roseanne? No, but if extremely wealthy people like the Mercers start thinking that it would help them to achieve their goals to have Roseanne back on the air, then who knows what sort of backroom deals could be made.

Well hell these "religious" stations would probably have the mixed-race and trans family members disappear out in to a prayer closet in a way that fornicated over the actors or actresses playing these roles.  As in making it seem like their fault. 

• Upvote 4