IGNORED

Misconceptions about feminism strike again

celestial

Most serial killers are men who kill women. That's why it's so memorable when a woman kills men - it doesn't happen very often.

That's kind of simplistic. There are plenty of female serial killers who murder men and don't become even remotely as famous as many of the male serial killers. The ones who are memorable are so because they deviate from the norm in choice of victim, motive, and/or means of killing. Most female serial killers kill the elderly or children, they tend to chose victims they are close too, are motivated by a desire for money or sympathy, and use less violent means of killing.

Anna Marie Hahn poisoned elderly men and women she had befriended so she could take their money to pay off gambling debts. Very few people know who she was.

Aileen Wuornos shot men she had no connection to for no other reason than to kill.

Don't you know? Women aren't supposed to worry about how the groceries get paid for. It's not their business how the family's income is generated. They're just supposed to keep having babies, regardless. :roll:

These fundies need to hang out in Japan where it's not uncommon for men to not even know how much they make because their wives handle it all.

Guest Anonymous

That's kind of simplistic. There are plenty of female serial killers who murder men and don't become even remotely as famous as many of the male serial killers. The ones who are memorable are so because they deviate from the norm in choice of victim, motive, and/or means of killing. Most female serial killers kill the elderly or children, they tend to chose victims they are close too, are motivated by a desire for money or sympathy, and use less violent means of killing.

Anna Marie Hahn poisoned elderly men and women she had befriended so she could take their money to pay off gambling debts. Very few people know who she was.

Aileen Wuornos shot men she had no connection to for no other reason than to kill.

My statement was simple. It's also statistically true according to all of the info I was able to locate, and I believe it was an adequate rebuttal to the post I was responding to. Poisoning elderly men and women has nothing to do with feminism or misandry as far as I can tell.

I believe that feminism at its root is this: If it's beneath a man's dignity, a woman shouldn't have to put up with it.

I think this is a good way of putting it sometimes.

I am a feminist, and I do not hate men. I do, however, want them to act like grown-up people, take responsibility for their actions, and not be jerks. If they lust after a woman, it's not the woman's fault.

The door thing - Oh sweet baby Jesus. Where were all these door-opening helpful chivalrous men when I was pregnant and my husband was TDY in Alabama for the last month of it? Or when I was a brand-new mom in GA with a three-week old and a husband all the way in AZ? You know who opened doors for me then? Men old enough to be my father, other women, and one guy who I suspect was made to by his wife.

Oh, that's right. I was pregnant/a new mother, therefore rendered "unfuckable" in most male eyes, and therefore not worthy of the service.

I don't claim to speak for all feminists, only myself. But please do notice that any time one woman says something offensive, it gets held against the rest of us, and if a man does the same thing, he's being a individual and HOW DARE WE hold his remarks against all men.

Like this guy (not fundie, but a definite offensive little prick): http://rebekahtodd.tumblr.com/post/1081 ... n-on-birth

My statement was simple. It's also statistically true according to all of the info I was able to locate, and I believe it was an adequate rebuttal to the post I was responding to. Poisoning elderly men and women has nothing to do with feminism or misandry as far as I can tell.

But it has to do with your assertion that the gender of the victims is how a serial killer gets known. Have men for victims is not what gets a female serial killer known. It's killing for the pleasure of killing, or for sexual pleasure, or killing people she doesn't know, or killing outside, or working in conjunction with a male killer that gets a female serial killer known. Elizabeth Bathory has become a killer of legend, and she only killed young women. She's the one that started the whole "bathing in the blood of virgins" fairy tale, even though she never actually did that to anyone's knowledge.

Serial killers are never simple.

Guest Anonymous
Most serial killers are men who kill women. That's why it's so memorable when a woman kills men - it doesn't happen very often.

But it has to do with your assertion that the gender of the victims is how a serial killer gets known.

I think we're talking past one another because I don't think I said that. Statistically the largest group of serial killers are men who kill women. Therefore I believe that it's a novelty and statistically notable when a serial killer is a woman who kills men, which is what I said in the quote above.

Have men for victims is not what gets a female serial killer known. It's killing for the pleasure of killing, or for sexual pleasure, or killing people she doesn't know, or killing outside, or working in conjunction with a male killer that gets a female serial killer known. Elizabeth Bathory has become a killer of legend, and she only killed young women. She's the one that started the whole "bathing in the blood of virgins" fairy tale, even though she never actually did that to anyone's knowledge.

Serial killers are never simple.

I don't think this has anything to do with what I said. This seems to be a subject that you're interested in and that you know a lot about so I don't doubt you, but I don't feel it's pertinent. Frankly I'm not interested in serial killers and while I believe you that as people and phenomena they are probably never simple, I think I can make a simple statistical statement regarding them.

finleeport commented about a female serial killer as it relates to feminism, and that's what I responded to. I'm extremely invested in feminism and not at all in serial killers, so this is my last post on this particular derail.

finleeport commented about a female serial killer as it relates to feminism, and that's what I responded to. I'm extremely invested in feminism and not at all in serial killers, so this is my last post on this particular derail.

I'm invested in feminism, and accuracy, and interested in serial killers. I'm just trying to point out that killing men is not what makes a female serial killer known.

My biggest issue relating to serial killers and feminism is that women are generally viewed by society as incapable of being serial killers.

Archived