IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Part 6: Two Left Limping Along

Coconut Flan

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, EmiGirl said:

What company manual did this come from??

It seems to be from Young Living, but I'm not 100% sure on it. The Boyers do have it, and since it's the company they sell from, I'm guessing it's at least compatible with YL's oils. 

*timidly raises hand because she knows the answer*

It's from the Essential Oils Desk Reference. By Life Science Publishers. 

...um... yeah ... creepy dogma woo like this helped me nope on outta there ...

[ducks and runs for cover; please don't hurt me!!]

54 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Thanks! I didn't think it was YL. 

Gross. Don't forget to dab on that forgiveness immediately after your assault. And some hope so you don't kill yourself. Seriously wtf? 

On 04/03/2018 at 12:33 AM, Jhamishwat said:

I basically use them as air fresheners, and some, like lavender and eucalyptus, do genuinely help open the lungs when sick, but I certainly don't believe they can cure cancer or treat suicidal thoughts and abuse. 

I've found that sniffing some of my own blends (reasonably priced oils from Naissance, the bottles stuck in a bag together, I rarely actually put them on my skin because it's very sensitive) when I am fighting some mid level anxiety works.  I like sweet orange and scotch pine for that, usually.  But I am sure that most of my reaction is psychosomatic, and I'm fine with that.  If the anxiety reaches a certain level, hello Prince Valium.  

Frankincense is one of my favorite smelling oils but if it actually did anything to my "dna blueprint" I would stay the hell away from it :my_rolleyes:  

14 hours ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

No need to be shy--swell information!

Getting back to einkorn, I've actually tried it because I can get EinKorn flour and pastas at my local farmers market. I'm not sure I'd call it a wonder drug but I do like it.

I've noticed bread baked with it has a good flavor, and in my personal experience, I find its easier to digest. I wouldn't use it to cure autism but I do prefer it to regular flour.

7 hours ago, IntrinsicallyDisordered said:

I've found that sniffing some of my own blends (reasonably priced oils from Naissance, the bottles stuck in a bag together, I rarely actually put them on my skin because it's very sensitive) when I am fighting some mid level anxiety works.  I like sweet orange and scotch pine for that, usually.  But I am sure that most of my reaction is psychosomatic, and I'm fine with that.  If the anxiety reaches a certain level, hello Prince Valium.  

Frankincense is one of my favorite smelling oils but if it actually did anything to my "dna blueprint" I would stay the hell away from it :my_rolleyes:  

Today, the Royal Wedding of Princess Vespa to Prince Valium. Tomorrow, Bingo.

The b-well videos are excruciating to watch. Just awful. 

It's hard to believe that anyone could be persuaded to buy or use any of the junk they peddle, never mind the outlandish claims they make.

The b.well stuff actually makes me feel pained for them.  I know the excitement of learning some new skill that other people don't have.  I love how I can read new caselaw and legislation, and teach other people about it.  I understand that desire to learn something new and share it.  

That's what's so sad about Jessica and Charlotte (Jessica especially).  Maybe I'm projecting, but they really do seem like women who want to learn and improve themselves and contribute to society, but their education is subpar and they are totally unable to critically assess the claims and "science" behind these EO's.  I really don't think THEY realize it's a fraud, and I'm not sure they even CAN with the way they've been taught to think.  I think they legitimately believe they're helping people with these magical substances from God.   

Beyond that, it seems like they have a lot of innate intelligence that has been squandered.  Jessica or Charlotte could've been a legitimate medical doctor, or registered dietitian, or a naturopathic doctor.  But they won't.  They'll be one of thousands of impoverished Christian women blithely parroting what they've read in a marketing pamphlet from YL or DoTerra.  

All three of the sisters seem bright. Brigid looked so happy at her wedding, and from the few glimpses one gets online, she and her family seem happy. And she has a creative outlet in her pattern company. I do worry about Jessica and Charlotte, though. They seem bright and full of potential, but they just seem so constrained and confined. I know that college isn't for everyone,  but I wish that they could have a chance to explore what their calling might be rather than sitting at home reading marketing material from Young Living.

• 2 weeks later...

That picture makes me stabby.

Look, I love essential oils. I slather them all over me. Rose for acne, lavender for stress, peppermint for headaches. But there is no FUCKING WAY that they can help with someone abusing you. Frankincense isn't going to stop your partner from beating the shit out of you. Oregano won't make you want to kill yourself any less. This is the kind of enabling shit that keeps people in terrible situations.

It's like when your pastor at your church advises you to pray instead of getting a divorce when your husband is abusive. It's like telling someone to have faith when they have suicidal thoughts. Prayer and religion can certainly help people in those situations IN ADDITION TO proper treatment and therapy (and, when applicable, legal action and/or medication).

The link between essential oils and assholes who just say "prayer will fix literally everything!" is quite striking. And appropriate for the Boyer sisters.

Stabby stabby stabby.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:13 PM, MargaretElliott said:

It's like when your pastor at your church advises you to pray instead of getting a divorce when your husband is abusive. It's like telling someone to have faith when they have suicidal thoughts. Prayer and religion can certainly help people in those situations IN ADDITION TO proper treatment and therapy (and, when applicable, legal action and/or medication.

Exactly. I am a Christian, and while prayer is important, I believe God gave the resources of doctors, counselors, and such to be used.

It's like that story where a man's boat is sinking, and he prays for God to send help, and one by one, people come by to help, and he says "Nope, I'm waiting for God." Then God tells him, "Uh, I sent all those people to you for a reason." 

So there are essential oils to help you get over your feelings of revenge-- but are there oils to help you exact revenge?

Or do I have to just go with a good old fashioned voodoo doll?*

*Don't laugh--Mr Hick's family is from Louisiana; we've probably got some dolls in a jumbled box of family heirlooms in a closet.

The more I learn....

Life Science Publishers appears to be the publishing arm for Young Living. 

The web is thick.

On 3/3/2018 at 3:33 PM, Jhamishwat said:

This is slightly off topic, but has anyone seen this page out of the Essential Oils handbook (the same on the Boyers have)? I wonder what they would think of it...

Screenshot_20180303-123259.png

What the HELL did I just read?  :angry-banghead:

If the Boyer sisters do have that book - they need to burn it.

On 3/5/2018 at 5:27 PM, hoipolloi said:

The b-well videos are excruciating to watch. Just awful. 

It's hard to believe that anyone could be persuaded to buy or use any of the junk they peddle, never mind the outlandish claims they make.

Those videos really are bad.  They need to sit down, do some homework, write themselves an outline, and rehearse before they make a video.  In the last one I watched they couldn't even remember the few EOs that were on sale.  Sheesh. 

The flaky girly act isn't cute, Boyers.  It is inefficient, unprofessional, and unconvincing.  This is supposed to be your "business."

My feeling is that these sisters were not pressured to persist with any subject they considered challenging - like math or French.  So they have a lackluster attitude to anything that feels like hard work and flit like butterfies from yoga (whoops, we didn't know that was heathen) to makeup and from oils to "dressing for truth."

If they keep this up they will never get more than a superficial understanding of more than the latest Fundie trends.  They should be better than that.

On 3/6/2018 at 10:42 AM, GenerationCedarchip said:

I do worry about Jessica and Charlotte, though. They seem bright and full of potential, but they just seem so constrained and confined. I know that college isn't for everyone,  but I wish that they could have a chance to explore what their calling might be rather than sitting at home reading marketing material from Young Living.

I think Charlotte is making more of an effort to move on.  She has at least got a part time job, albeit with Dad, and has put up her graphic design website.  I'm not terribly impressed by the graphics on any of the Boyer blogs (but what do I know) and she may be getting requests.  She seems to be the one carrying almost all the water for YL and the blogs at the moment though.

Jessica, however, still seems stuck almost exactly where she was 12 months ago.  Except oilier.  She did get a temporary job as a wedding coordinator but seems to lack focus and impetus in general. 

In Jessica's post in November she is still yattering on about the Agony of the Failed Engagement and the Enormous Effort to Recover.  She admits to having taken 6 months "off" blogging last year and letting Charlotte do all the work.  And she admits to getting addicted to introspection.  I called her out on that in almost those words a year ago.  Again, if she is still anxious and depressed then she should get professional help.  

If not, I want to drop kick her from the 18th (where she seems stuck in a Victorian melancholic decline) to the 21st century. 

Brigid is still fun to read and very active in contrast.  She is still interested in history and has had the gumption to make a rather impressive pie.  I love the little pie bird.

If @Gabe is still reading here - a message for Brigid:  That hot water pastry Brigie used for her "standing crust pie" is used for game and pork pies but not really for anything else.  That pie crust was historically considered edible - it is used as a container for cooking and then discarded.   This is because it is nasty and so hard it can chip a tooth if you aren't careful! 

I am not a fan of either pork (yucky gelatin) or game pies and most of the English people I know still leave the pastry.  Tell her to try a nice historical English short crust pastry, or even flaky pastry, on top of a savory pie filling instead. ;) 

24 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

That pie crust was historically considered edible - it is used as a container for cooking and then discarded.   This is because it is nasty and so hard it can chip a tooth if you aren't careful! 

Sorry, I’m confused. Did you mean “historically considered inedible” or did I miss something?

Fascinating. And now I’m hungry for savory pie.

18 minutes ago, refugee said:

Sorry, I’m confused. Did you mean “historically considered inedible”

Yes.  Traditionally and historically you break the hot water crust (with a hammer as needed) and just scoop out the filling to eat.  The pie crust takes the place of a baking dish and is not eaten.

That standing pie crust is made with boiling water and suet and is rock hard.  Normal pie crusts are made with shortening (preferably butter) and kept as cold as possible to keep them tender.

I've always wanted to write a murder mystery where Colonel Mustard bumps off Professor Plum in the conservatory by coshing him with a pork pie.  (That is a old version Cluedo reference for the younger ones among us.  I feel old!)

Here endeth the history lesson. :D

6 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Yes.  Traditionally and historically you break the hot water crust (with a hammer as needed) and just scoop out the filling to eat.  The pie crust takes the place of a baking dish and is not eaten.

That standing pie crust is made with boiling water and suet and is rock hard.  Normal pie crusts are made with shortening (preferably butter) and kept as cold as possible to keep them tender.

I've always wanted to write a murder mystery where Colonel Mustard bumps off Professor Plum in the conservatory by coshing him with a pork pie.  (That is a old version Cluedo reference for the younger ones among us.  I feel old!)

Here endeth the history lesson. :D

And thank you for the Ernie  earworm...

Goodness, did anyone see B. well's insta story today? It sounds so desperate. I've read constantly that YL has a terrible rate of successful incomes (I mean, all MLMs do but YL has put out their income statements recently), so I can't imagine that they're selling enough to make it truly worth their time. 

I just watched it and yes it does sound desperate. I just can't imagine they know that many people who have $160 to blow on an essential oil diffuser kit. 

I think they got into the wrong MLM, not that I think there is a right MLM, but I think that had they gone for jewelry or something they might have had more luck. Something like Stella & Dot. I am not endorsing Stella & Dot or any MLM but I'm thinking about what their already established audience might be more likely to buy from them. 

I think the issue isn't the direct marketing choice that they made per se, but that they grossly misjudged their timing. If they'd pulled any of these MLM scams out of their asses back in the Boyer Sisters days, they'd have had a steady stream of Christian SAHD's (who looked up to them, and admired them) lined up to "join" the pyramid. Instead, they took nearly a year off after Brigid married, failed to honor even the most basic terms of their long-term sponsor partnerships, and filled their social media with cryptic, sparse references to their personal misery. 

Then, they popped back up with a jumbled, disjointed series of conflicting messages spread across TWO blogs, and tried to woo their waning audience into supporting their hobby scheme with the subtlety of a police siren.

People who succeed at shilling for companies like YL do it by creating the illusion of a desirable lifestyle. Oldest marketing gimmick in the book. Who the frig would desire the lifestyle that either Jessica or Charlotte represent for themselves at this point? They both seem confused, abjectly miserable, and silly to the point of inanity. That would pass muster with some very young girls, but very young girls in patriarchal SAHD culture typically aren't given hundreds of dollars to spend on magic oil every month. Older men and women with disposable income are unlikely to feel any confidence buying from two young women who seem so disinclined to maintain a rudimentary social media presence, or communicate in a mature way about the product they are selling. I'm glad that both Charlotte and Jessica are employed outside of the house to some degree, and I suspect that they both find that to be more fulfilling that the YL drag. I hope so at any rate. Because the oils aren't doing either of them any favors.

And a moment of silence for Charlotte's extensive instagram post today, where she informed everyone that she's found a great book that revealed to her that she needs to give up on her dreams, because having dreams was just "weighing her down".

9 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

having dreams was just "weighing her down".

This just sounds so lost and sad. I hope someone in their real life is taking appropriate action to get her help, but sadly I doubt that is the case. Some years ago there was a blog called Large Family Mothering and the fundy owner of this blog wrote a post about how dreams were bad for good Christian folk like her and her family. I guess the point it to take away all hope so that all there is left is waiting for death and heaven after wards. I imagine that this book Charlotte speaks of spreads the same "advice". I don't know if Gabe still reads here or if he or his wife wish to get involved but it seems like Charlotte and Jessica are quite troubled. They need help - not advice telling them to give up their dreams- but proper help from a well trained and licensed professional like a doctor/psychiatrist/counsellor/psychologist. 

I think Jessica and Charlotte are quite desperate to have something that they are passionate about. Essential oils and MLMs are not a good passion. You're just sinking your time into a company and that company only care about how much money you are making. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived