IGNORED

Trump 28: He's a "stable genius" with a "big & powerful button"

Destiny

I wanted to drop by to note how very much it pleases me that Michael Wolff has managed to completely mind fuck Donald Trump and rattle everybody else.  When the book hit the news stands, the White House must have been like a roach rave when the lights were turned on. 

And Fred Armisen as Michael Wolff?  OMG! As good as Tina Fey = Sarah Palin.  

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/13/2018 at 5:26 PM, fraurosena said:

Whoo... he's back from the golf course and has found his phone again! 

Too bad he was out golfing when that false missile alarm went off in Hawaii...

Here's some more about the alarm:

Side note: it took them 30 minutes to turn the alarm off. 

Thinking about Hawaii, I can’t even imagine how completely terrifying that must have been. I have a one year old sleeping peacefully in the next room and I want to break into hysterical tears thinking about what it’d be like to be in that situation and know I can’t do anything to save my baby. Mueller, please PLEASE work quickly and please find something to get this maniac out of power. I’m scared of life under President Pence, but I’m even more terrified of continuing on under President Too Busy Golfing And Too Emotionally Inept to Console My Terrified Citizens. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Thinking about Hawaii, I can’t even imagine how completely terrifying that must have been. I have a one year old sleeping peacefully in the next room and I want to break into hysterical tears thinking about what it’d be like to be in that situation and know I can’t do anything to save my baby. Mueller, please PLEASE work quickly and please find something to get this maniac out of power. I’m scared of life under President Pence, but I’m even more terrified of continuing on under President Too Busy Golfing And Too Emotionally Inept to Console My Terrified Citizens. 

I know it had to be terrifying. I live in Guam and back in August when we were in North Korea's cross hairs we had a false alarm. Our emergency alert system is not coordinated as Hawaii's ( and we are a much smaller island) so it didn't affect nearly as many people. In our case 2 radio stations broadcasted that a missile had been launched and was headed this way. Now, keep in mind this was about 2 weeks post North Korea's threats, inside the window of when the threat was supposed to happen and just days after local government started putting out information on what to do in the event of a missile and/or nuclear attack (side note I now know to not use conditioner post nuclear attack). Here, we have between 12 and 14 minutes from missile launch to impact so really not a lot of time to get to what is considered a safe space.  But I do not envy the people of Hawaii. Becasue not only did the have to have the fear of an attack but it went on for 38 long minutes.  

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/14/politics/donald-trump-racist/index.html

President Donald Trump defended himself Sunday night after several days of controversy over his remarks about African countries, telling reporters, "I am not a racist."

In remarks to reporters at a dinner photo opportunity with House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy in West Palm Beach, Florida, Trump said when asked if he is a racist, "No, I'm not a racist. I am the least racist person you have ever interviewed."

If this is true, that reporter hasn't interviewed many people.

Have any FJers experienced the cold war with those drills? I've honestly brought it up to my family about planning on shelter ideas.

Fuck fave says he’s not a racist.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/37264020/2018/01/14/trump-declares-i-am-not-a-racist

President Donald Trump says in the wake of his recent comments about Haiti and African countries that "I am not a racist."

Trump has been accused of using a vulgar word to describe African countries during an Oval Office meeting last week with a bipartisan group of six senators.

If anyone believes that I’ve got swampland and bridges for sale. Cash or PayPal.

I was watching news with the parental units and they had him in the TV saying that. I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying shut the fuck up you lying sack of shut to the tv.

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

I was watching news with the parental units and they had him in the TV saying that. I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying shut the fuck up you lying sack of shut to the tv.

Most days, I watch the news from the day before while my kids are at school. It allows me to express my feelings. :my_angel:

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

If anyone believes that I’ve got swampland and bridges for sale. Cash or PayPal.

Great article on Vox about the attempted normalization of his shithole comment.

Spoiler

Why can’t you call Haiti and African nations “shithole countries,” as President Donald Trump reportedly did? Isn’t the whole reason that people leave those countries and come to the US that those countries are, in fact, poor and crime-ridden?

That’s the argument that conservative pundits, such as Fox News host Tucker Carlson and Fox News contributor Tomi Lahren, are now pushing. Their case: These countries really are in a terrible state, so it doesn’t make sense to let their people into the US and act as a drain on American resources when the US can take people from wealthier nations. (This view of immigration as a drain on society is popular among Trump supporters, but, as Matt Yglesias has explained, the research shows immigration creates jobs, wealth, and growth overall.)

This framing may make Trump’s remarks more reasonable to some people, but it misses the point and broader context of what Trump said — context that makes it very clear that Trump’s remarks were built on bigotry.

Trump suggested the problem isn’t just the countries, but their people

First, the problem is not just that Trump called these countries bad; it’s that Trump suggested these countries’ people are all bad

Read Trump’s reported comments, which he reportedly made during bipartisan talks about immigration reform in the context of Haiti and African nations: “Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?”

Trump is not just saying that Haiti and African countries are shitholes. He’s indicating that the (predominantly black) people from these countries are themselves bad — to the point that the US should not accept them as immigrants. (Though Trump has now deniedmaking the comments on Haiti, but he has not denied disparaging African nations.)

Then consider Trump’s point of comparison. After he raised his question, Trump reportedly suggested that America should take more people from “countries like Norway.” This is his remark about African countries and Haiti in reverse, explicitly singling out predominantly white nations as favorable.

Characterizing not just a nation but its people as inherently bad is prejudice, pure and simple. This is so widely accepted that it’s actually illegal to discriminate against workers and tenants based on national origin under federal law.

But it’s even worse when that person singles out predominantly black countries, as Trump did.

If Trump’s real concern was getting the most skilled, productive immigrants, as his defenders suggest, then why would he write off entire nations and their populations?

A country in dire economic straits can still produce skilled workers, and immigration policy can, as it has attempted to do throughout US history, try to attract those skilled workers in particular. That Trump is going further and suggesting we shouldn’t take anyone from those countries indicates that his interests go much further than just barring the supposedly unskilled workers from these places.

(Not to mention the humanitarian argument for taking in people in need of help, and the possibility that someone can rise from a dire situation if given the right opportunity — a popular view in Republican economic circles.)

Trump’s own staff gave away the game here. A White House official told CNN that, despite whatever the press thinks, the remarks will resonate with Trump’s base. The White House official drew a comparison to Trump’s attacks against NFL athletes, who have demonstrated against systemic racism in the US by kneeling and otherwise silently protesting during the national anthem.

The only connection between these two topics — the NFL protests and Trump’s “shithole” comments — is race. They have nothing to do with each other otherwise. This is the White House acknowledging the racist element of Trump’s comments, and then saying that Trump’s supporters will like the remarks.

Trump’s broader history of racism can’t be ignored

There’s also the broader context of what Trump has said and done. This is a man who launched his political career by questioningwhether the first black president of the US is truly American, and reportedly has continued doing soin private.

He launched his presidential campaign by suggesting that Mexican immigrants are “rapists” who are “bringing crime” and “bringing drugs” to the US. He calledfor banning all Muslims from entering the US. He said that a judge should recuse himself from a Trump University case solely because the judge was of Mexican descent — which House Speaker Paul Ryan called “the textbook definition of a racist comment.”

Since becoming president, this kind of behavior has continued. Trump stereotyped a black reporter in February 2017, telling April Ryan that she should set up a meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus for him even as she insisted that she’s “just a reporter.”

After white supremacists violently protested in Charlottesville, Virginia, last year, Trump repeatedly said that “both sides” were to blame for the violence, drawing a moral equivalence between white supremacists and anti-racism protesters — and said that there were “some very fine people” among the white supremacists. And over the past year, Trump has repeatedly attacked NFL players who protested against systemic racism.

This isn’t even close to a full or comprehensive list. (You can find many more examples of Trump’s racist remarks in Vox’s explainer.)

This is the context that surrounds Trump’s comments on Haiti and African countries. It is the context that his defenders have tried to ignore: Trump’s history of racism.

5 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Have any FJers experienced the cold war with those drills? I've honestly brought it up to my family about planning on shelter ideas.

I'm too young for any of the cold war drills but I have the information sheets the local government here shared. 

We read through them and elected to make sure that our emergency kit was well stocked and that we had plenty of food and water (for us and the dog).  And some cash on hand, in cash of widespread power outages. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 8.08.02 PM.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 8.08.16 PM.png

I looked up how many immigrants the US welcomes from Norway. It must be a complete coincidence but I couldn't find Noway in the Wikipedia table that illustrate how many immigrants came to the US from every country since 1986. So I looked up the raw data from the government website. It seems that Trump needs to make more of an effort to convince people from Norway to come to the US to meet the request of workers from the corporate world. Granted there are more than a few Nazi sympathizers in every European country but somehow I doubt they would be willing to sign off the privileges offered by a welfare state to do agricultural jobs in the US or even for a nicer job actually. Truth is the US hasn't been the land of freedom and opportunities for most Europeans for awhile, let alone now with Trump. "Shithole" countries are the US only opportunity, better not to offend their citizens.

I lived in Alaska as a child during the height of the Cold War.  We did frequent duck and cover drills, and there were also practice evacuations of the military base where we lived.  It was definitely a fear at the time and we were required to have blankets and canned food in the trunk at all times.  Considering mudslides, wildfires, tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, lightning strikes, floods, this is a good reminder to put together an emergency kit for our house and car.  We're not in mudslide or earthquake country, but all of the other things have happened close by. 

My larger fear? My berzerker fellow citizens and decisions they might make under duress.  Exhibit 1: the panic-fueled gas run created 100% by fear that nobody would have gas because of Hurricane Harvey.  People lined up for blocks to fill up, burning gas while their cars idled, which, guess what?, did create a shortage and there was no gas to be had for about three or four days.  In reality, gas went from being stored in tanks at gas stations to being stored in people's cars. Yes,  there was a temporary slowing of supply while refineries were shut down on the Texas Gulf coast, but it would have been a hiccup if people had not gone crazy buying gas. 

My take? Kim Jong Un will never launch a nuclear missile on the US; it would mean the near instant annihilation of his own country.  However, as we've seen, he's very good at using threat and posturing as deterrent and provocation.  In addition, China certainly does not want that kind of shit going down on their border and I don't think they would protect NK if Kim did a first strike.   I think Kim also realizes that Trump is as bat-shit crazy as he is.  Hopefully, two crazies = checkmate. 

That said, I'm not in Guam or Hawaii, so I have the luxury of distance to feel safe and indulge in idle speculating.  Sending a cloud of light, protection and happiness to all the islands. 

I found this on my FB feed and thought I'd share.  Humor is the only way I have to cope with Fuck Face, other than swearing like a trucker or slamming back shots.  I live with a Trump Worshiper so it gets a little tense sometimes.  Well, I'm off to buy some gas station sushi for breakfast .... 

26731699_10154945032316364_62711815395752032_n.jpg

And now it is Monday.  The physical was on Friday (the day news goes to die) and we got a "report" that the president is in the most excellent health of anyone, really, an outstanding physical specimen, the best numbers, but apparently it was actual fake news, because the doctor's name was spelled incorrectly.  SHB will stand at the lectern and spin some line of bullshit if someone asks her about it, and his health will soon be eclipsed by the relentless onslaught of crazy that is this presidency.  

7 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I personally find I am unable to watch fuckface without flipping him off and yelling at the television.  My daughter politely asks me to calm down.

Yeah, he's not a racist....If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck...(no offense meant toward ducks).

8 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

I was five or so during the Cuban missile crisis and living in Mississippi, which was within range so we did have an awareness of danger. I can't remember drills or my parents being too concerned, but I do remember that I and everyone else in my elementary school knew that the basement of the school was a fallout shelter. We never went down there and it probably wouldn't have helped much.

It did give me a life-long fear of nuclear energy. I remember being taught that radioactivity was invisible and that it would come and get you and you would be very sick and then die. Still have a intense need to move in the opposite direction every time I see a cooling tower at a nuclear power plant.

51 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

I personally find I am unable to watch fuckface without flipping him off and yelling at the television.  My daughter politely asks me to calm down.

Yeah, he's not a racist....If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck...(no offense meant toward ducks).

My kid says I should't watch Trump because any time I do I get a panic attack, and I'm too loud.

1 hour ago, Howl said:

And now it is Monday. 

I've developed an illness that I call Monday Morning Anxiety. There are a few hours of quiet while we wait to see what kind of shit he's going to cull from his new episode of We're Not Really Your Friends on Faux News. Will it be a superlative-laden self-aggrandizing boast? Or an insult-hurling, lie-filled rant?

As for the "I'm not a racist" bullshit, sigh, just save you breath, I suspect you need it, Dumpy. NO ONE believes that. Even your base doesn't believe it, they love you BECAUSE you're a racist.

McCarthy looked like he was pissed that he drew the short straw. Suck it up, barnacle, you can always take you balls and go home.

Afterall even Norwegians may not be good enough for Trump.

Spoiler

Since the late 20th century, Norway has attracted immigrants from southern and central Europe, the Mideast, Africa, Asia and beyond.

In 2012, an official study showed that 86%[167] of the total population have at least one parent who was born in Norway. More than 710,000 individuals (14%)[168] are immigrants and their descendants; there are 117,000 children of immigrants, born in Norway.

Of these 710,000 immigrants and their descendants:

323,000 (39%)[168] have a Westernbackground (Australia, North America, elsewhere in Europe)

505,000 (61%)[168] have a non-Western background (primarily Morocco, Iraq, Somalia, Pakistan, Iran).

7 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Afterall even Norwegians may not be good enough for Trump.

Having no intellectual curiosity, or any intellect at all, he must think everybody in Norway is white.

1 minute ago, onekidanddone said:

Having no intellectual curiosity, or any intellect at all, he must think everybody in Norway is white.

They're all white and have water! Quick, Donnie and Eric, get over there and find a place to build a hotel!

1 hour ago, GrumpyGran said:

McCarthy looked like he was pissed that he drew the short straw. Suck it up, barnacle, you can always take you balls and go home.

That would imply he has balls to take home with him.

I think they've all be thoroughly emasculated by this administration, so I'm rather doubtful, to be honest. :pb_wink:

Most racists never admit they are racists anyway, they think they're just telling the truth. So not sure what the point of arguing with Trump about  it is. The wall isn't racist, it's about drugs. The Muslim ban isn't racist, it's about national security.  The deportations aren't racist, he's just tough on crime. Ending DACA isn't about xenophobia, it's just Democrats obstructing. He will never admit doing or saying anything wrong just like Joe Arpaio will deny everything to his dying day

31 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Manbaby inspires generosity:

The man who has his finger on a the button (the biggest button ever) can be bribed by candy. Ain't that just nifty.

7 hours ago, Howl said:

I lived in Alaska as a child during the height of the Cold War.  We did frequent duck and cover drills, and there were also practice evacuations of the military base where we lived.  It was definitely a fear at the time and we were required to have blankets and canned food in the trunk at all times.  Considering mudslides, wildfires, tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, lightning strikes, floods, this is a good reminder to put together an emergency kit for our house and car.  We're not in mudslide or earthquake country, but all of the other things have happened close by. 

My larger fear? My berzerker fellow citizens and decisions they might make under duress.  Exhibit 1: the panic-fueled gas run created 100% by fear that nobody would have gas because of Hurricane Harvey.  People lined up for blocks to fill up, burning gas while their cars idled, which, guess what?, did create a shortage and there was no gas to be had for about three or four days.  In reality, gas went from being stored in tanks at gas stations to being stored in people's cars. Yes,  there was a temporary slowing of supply while refineries were shut down on the Texas Gulf coast, but it would have been a hiccup if people had not gone crazy buying gas. 

My take? Kim Jong Un will never launch a nuclear missile on the US; it would mean the near instant annihilation of his own country.  However, as we've seen, he's very good at using threat and posturing as deterrent and provocation.  In addition, China certainly does not want that kind of shit going down on their border and I don't think they would protect NK if Kim did a first strike.   I think Kim also realizes that Trump is as bat-shit crazy as he is.  Hopefully, two crazies = checkmate. 

That said, I'm not in Guam or Hawaii, so I have the luxury of distance to feel safe and indulge in idle speculating.  Sending a cloud of light, protection and happiness to all the islands. 

I agree with people panicking being the biggest threat sometimes. My fear is that since this is already a small island with limited resources that in the event of an emergency, any emergency, that things will get bad very quickly. Even in the best of times certain food items are in short supply and we lose power and water on a fairly regular basis. So we just decided to make sure that we have plenty of food and water on hand, as well as any basic items that we need, so that we don't have to worry about it. Though, I doubt it would be enough to really get us through 2 weeks.

My kids do monthly duck and cover drills for a missile attack. Last year they did one the entire year (along with the other emergency drills). I think the drill are intended to help but IMO all they do is cause a whole lot of stress. I don't think North Korea is a threat in itself. I don't believe that North Korea has anything to gain by attacking any part of the United states.  Even in the threat to Guam, when they got more specific in the threat they said the missile would hit off the coast. My fear is that NK will do something like that and then we will respond. I do feel things had deescalated some since the summer. And the talks between North and South Korea are a good thing. But then here comes the US deploying more bombers and warships to the area which is only going to add to the tension.  

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived