IGNORED

Trump 28: He's a "stable genius" with a "big & powerful button"

Destiny

I grew up in the 70s and 80s in the UK. I absolutely knew that I would die in a nuclear war. It was a given. It was assumed. We didn’t have drills in the UK, as there was nowhere to hide, mostly. We don’t really do basements. The Thatcher govt issued a leaflet that advised us to take a door off its hinges and lean it up against the house stairs to make a shelter. How we laughed. And then there was this: When The Wind Blows. Bleak.

ETA: this was the leaflet: Protect and Survive. I feel slightly sick remembering it. Blech.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben Minnotte at the Oddity Archive did a riff on Protect And Survive.(Warning:  gallows humor.)

The original films are on YouTube as well.

I feel so sorry for the North Korea athletes headed to the winter Olympics; the pressure to win and save face for North Korea will be immense -- possibly even a matter of life or death or a slow demise in a prison camp of some kind if they fail.  I'm sure some of the athletes will consider defecting, but they know their families would suffer horribly if they should do so. 

5 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Ben Minnotte at the Oddity Archive did a riff on Protect And Survive.(Warning:  gallows humor.)

The original films are on YouTube as well.

Bejaysus. I don’t know whether to thank you or smack you (metaphorically and lovingly) for that. There is SO MUCH I could tell you about that video, including Charlie and the paedophile picnic. Lordy. Gobsmacked. 

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

The man who has his finger on a the button (the biggest button ever) can be bribed by candy. Ain't that just nifty.

Do you think McCarthy offers classes in how to suck up? I wonder if he's regretting his special status now. He was probably all excited and proud of himself for getting the prized holiday weekend invite to Macho Grande and then Dumpy ruined the whole thing the day before. Poor Kevin ends up being the unfortunate dupe who is standing by the toxic Dump while he says "I'm not racist!" Bad, bad optics.

Why do people still think getting in good with Trump is a good thing? He will toss anybody under the bus in a heart beat. McCarthy must have one major case of denial and have sold his soul for a little bit of fame and power. He will be used up and spit out in a spew of orange bile. 

He used to be mad that Obama golfs.

Fucking hypocrite. You know he would’ve been right there whining if President Obama’s spent MLK Day playing golf.

Of course maybe it’s better that Fuck Face golfs if it keeps him from going to an event and letting it skip that he’s a fuck head racist piece of shit.

So as I suspected it seems like the denials of Trump's comments are coming from the possibility that "shithole" may not have been a precisely accurate quote. It might have been "shithouse" instead. That changes... absolutely nothing.

Just watched the Madam Secretary episode from last night. Wow..direct hit at Drumpfy. Watch it if you can, at least the last few minutes.

34 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

So as I suspected it seems like the denials of Trump's comments are coming from the possibility that "shithole" may not have been a precisely accurate quote. It might have been "shithouse" instead. That changes... absolutely nothing.

Both Perdue and Cotton won't be up for reelection until 2020.  No chance electing Democrat replacements this November. :annoyed:

Is it... a shithole?

This article is not new but I am just a tad amazed that they don't have hot water in a kitchen. Wtf?

On 1/14/2018 at 4:40 PM, VelociRapture said:

Thinking about Hawaii, I can’t even imagine how completely terrifying that must have been. I have a one year old sleeping peacefully in the next room and I want to break into hysterical tears thinking about what it’d be like to be in that situation and know I can’t do anything to save my baby. Mueller, please PLEASE work quickly and please find something to get this maniac out of power. I’m scared of life under President Pence, but I’m even more terrified of continuing on under President Too Busy Golfing And Too Emotionally Inept to Console My Terrified Citizens. 

I am in Hawaii, staying on Waikiki Beach right now. We were awakened at 8:07am on Saturday by the Emergency Alert. I will spare you most of the the details, but feel the need to share a few. 

First, I am so proud that we remained calm but piercingly focused through the entire episode (I was later reminded of Lori Alexander grabbing face creams in the face of a wildfire.)  We flew into clothes, wearing shoes (we’ve lived in flip flops since we arrived), went into the corridor of our hotel and waited. Truly waited to die. My most fervent hope was that the missile would be shot down by one of ours before it detonated. But even then I knew that WW3 would break out and we’d never see our home again. But that was the best outcome I could imagine, and I tried to think of that instead of wondering whether I would be killed by the blast (quickly) or radiation (slowly).  I did not want to die trapped in rubble.  That was my greatest fear.

At 8:16am, my husband went into our room to try to find something- anything- on TV. All we had was that first Alert, and we had heard nothing else. The hotel did and said nothing. Our phones couldn’t access the internet.  He found one local channel that echoed the same thing we had been told in the Alert, that it was not a drill.  He returned to the corridor where we were at least away from glass.

At 8:28am we were still alive and still had heard nothing. I finally got through to the internet and saw nothing about it. I googled Hawaii Emergency Alert and found three tweets from people we don’t know saying it was a false alarm. Many in the corridor didn’t want to trust them, but we returned to our room again and found a local station that was covering it live and that’s when we heard it was a false alarm. 

I never again want to witness people trying to get texts and phone calls out to loved ones to say goodbye. 

Today was the MLK Jr. parade in Honolulu. It was part MLK and part anti-Trump. The very best sign that was carried looked just like the Emergency Alert we’d received that you’ve all seen by now. The sign read:

Emergency Alert

RACISM AND BIGOTRY REVIVED IN AMERICA  TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION  THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

I’m saving that on my phone forever.

@HoneyBunny  I am so sorry you had to go through that. To me the worst part of the whole thing is how it took to correct the mistake that was made. Our local homeland security office has said that within 90 second of a missile launch they have confirmed the launch and have a projected path. Why did it take 38 mins??  Even when my husband was in Japan and there was a missile shot overhead it didn't take that long between the alert and the all clear (though obviously Japan is closer to NK but still)

30 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

@HoneyBunny  I am so sorry you had to go through that. To me the worst part of the whole thing is how it took to correct the mistake that was made. Our local homeland security office has said that within 90 second of a missile launch they have confirmed the launch and have a projected path. Why did it take 38 mins??  Even when my husband was in Japan and there was a missile shot overhead it didn't take that long between the alert and the all clear (though obviously Japan is closer to NK but still)

all of this. My major complaint isn't that the problem happened. it's that it took 38 fucking minutes to reverse it, in which people I care about thought they were dying.

@HoneyBunny, not much scares me that could come across my phone, but a fucking nuke is one of them. I would have been on the floor whimpering and I'm usually pretty good in a crisis. Congrats on staying calm. That's not sarcastic at all. I am not so sure I would have been. 

Well... I have to agree with Kim on that one. "Spasm of a Lunatic" indeed! :pb_lol:

See, this is how truly smart people tweet. A thoughtful message, inspiring and uplifting, while at the same time containing a beautiful under-layering of subtle diss within an expression of hope. 

I should say I'm surprised. But I'm not. 

If this is true, then... well, nothing's going to come of this anyway. Still.

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Well... I have to agree with Kim on that one. "Spasm of a Lunatic" indeed! :pb_lol:

We have entered a strange world in which the state run media of NK is actually providing accurate information about the American president. 

10 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

We have entered a strange world in which the state run media of NK is actually providing accurate information about the American president. 

Well, to be honest, it's not only them:

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Any real president would just ignore the tweet. The thing living in the White House is going to taunt.  "I'm rubber, your'e glue, anything you say bounces of me and sticks to you".  Toss in a few "SADs", poorly written penis analogies, and FAKE NEWS and I could write Trump's tweets for him.

16 hours ago, Howl said:

I feel so sorry for the North Korea athletes headed to the winter Olympics; the pressure to win and save face for North Korea will be immense -- possibly even a matter of life or death or a slow demise in a prison camp of some kind if they fail.  I'm sure some of the athletes will consider defecting, but they know their families would suffer horribly if they should do so. 

Actually North Korean athletes routinely take part into Summer Olympics. They have also won medals in many sports, actually many more than what you'd expect from such a poor country. This upcoming Olympics participation is extraordinary because NK boycotted Seoul's Olympics in the eighties.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived