IGNORED

Sierra - Return of the Strawberries and New Babies

choralcrusader8613

2 hours ago, JillyO said:

Sierra.jpg

Unrelated to the current topic but I like her skirt! I would totally wear that!

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

I used to teach K thru 2. Weird names aren't just a myth. I've had kids with apostrophes in the name and names spelled backwards and a bunch of weirdly spelled names. I had one kid whose name is Semaj. I wish I was joking but his mom named him James backwards. Sweetest kid ever stuck with a weird name.

there was a shemaj in my granddaughter's class last year. there are a lot of first generations at her school, it seems like a lot of the girls have "old" names-lydia,ann, page, vicky, ruby. the boys seem to have more ethnic names-hassan, osama, favier...

5 minutes ago, The limit does not exist said:

Without the Blessed Mama / Wife t shirt I hope.

There was a little toddler girl named Semaj near my area that recently went missing and was eventually found deceased under a couch in her own home. I've been following the story closely and so I've heard the name quite frequently in the last few weeks and it has grown on me a little, although it wouldn't be my choice. It is her dad's name (James) spelled backward and they pronounced it "SemajAY"

15 minutes ago, The limit does not exist said:

Also unrelated to the current topic but it reminds me of that dress that people couldn't decide if it was white and gold or blue and black.

Related to the current topic = Sierra, stop having babies if you almost died with the last one. Live to enjoy the ones you have. 

I'm late to the name thread drift, but I had to chime in. 

The trend in Norway right now is old-fashioned names, like Arthur, Alfred, Klara and so on. We used to have a strict naming law (not as strict as Iceland, but you couldn't call your kids whatever you wanted. My brother had a girl in his class that was called Fivel, after the animated movie An American Tail, but on paper her name was Bertha Anthonie, because the government said no to Fivel.) But now, you can be called pretty much what you want. That's why there's a guy that changed his name to Keikoburger. (Like the orca from Free Willy. Keiko died in Norway)

We also have some funny last names. Langballe (literally long balls) is a posh surname. 

1 hour ago, Screamapillar said:

Related to the current topic = Sierra, stop having babies if you almost died with the last one. Live to enjoy the ones you have. 

These people think God is giving them messaged through everything that happens to them. I don't get why these fundies don't think God is trying to tell them something when they have rough or dangerous pregnancies! 

(I am not saying God is but you guys know what I mean, I hope.)

3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I used to teach K thru 2. Weird names aren't just a myth. I've had kids with apostrophes in the name and names spelled backwards and a bunch of weirdly spelled names. I had one kid whose name is Semaj. I wish I was joking but his mom named him James backwards. Sweetest kid ever stuck with a weird name. I won't say the apostrophe name because it's very unusual and I doubt there's many kids named that. And this is across the board of every parent. There's a lot of kids out there with names that don't sound right next to CEO. But I'm a huge supporter of naming your kid a 'professional' name. Trendy, not trendy, weird, not weird, just make it so that the kid doesn't grow up to use an initial.last name. 

No joke, as soon as I read the backwards name, Semaj came to mind. I worked with a high school kid named Semaj before, and he told me it was his dad's name spelled backwards.  

ETA: his name was pronounced Se-mah-j, but the j was pronounced like the j in Taj Mahal. Is that called a soft j?

19 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

What is 'Ovarian Cyst Syndrome' - Does she mean PCOS?

She has said in a live video that it is not PCOS but just suffers from ovarian cysts and it took them longer than they wanted to get pregnant with her first kid.

Re: bad names -- one thing I have no problem being judgmental about is racist names. I have a distant relative named Aryan Angel. I always heard her name as being some version of "Arianne" so I was horrified when I saw her name written down for the first time. Her brothers have similarly racist names, though I don't remember what they are.

19 minutes ago, meowfundiecatz said:

She has said in a live video that it is not PCOS but just suffers from ovarian cysts and it took them longer than they wanted to get pregnant with her first kid.

Ah, okay. Thanks. I was trying to find the jump to 'nearly died' etc if it was PCOS as I have that and I know everyone's different, but I'd have thought that at least once in all my pregnancies if there was a thing with births.

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

Re: bad names -- one thing I have no problem being judgmental about is racist names. I have a distant relative named Aryan Angel. I always heard her name as being some version of "Arianne" so I was horrified when I saw her name written down for the first time. Her brothers have similarly racist names, though I don't remember what they are.

I knew of a biracial (black/white) kid with the name Aryan! I and a few other people told the mom before the baby was born what that meant, but she didn't let that sway her. She didn't LIKE the racist connotation, she was just indifferent to it. Some people...

Even worse though is naming your kid that because of the racist meaning. At least it will be clear to anyone that the biracial Aryan's parents were just idiots, not white supremacists.

Anyone remember in the news a few years ago those horrible parents who had named their kids Adolf Hitler and other equally-horrible names (they first came to be in the news after complaining that a bakery refused to write "Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler" on a cake for the kid)? They did eventually lose custody of their kids, thankfully, but I wonder what happened with the names. Usually I don't agree with changing a child's name but "Adolf Hitler" is a different story. Hopefully it was changed to something kinda similar-sounding, such as Adrian (or something completely different if the child wanted that). And hopefully the kids found a loving home somewhere!

A new poster here, but long time lurker. Hi,:greetings-waveyellow:
I just wanted to point that Eastern European names have a lot of ys in them. The intern could very well be an immigrant or first generation Polish-American. That happened to be my mom's name spelled correctly in Polish:) Not very popular among recent generation but quite popular in the 50/60s in Poland.

Ahhh that makes more sense, and we have a lot of Polish folks in the area. When I saw the y's I figured it was a "creative spelling."

12 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

Anyone remember in the news a few years ago those horrible parents who had named their kids Adolf Hitler and other equally-horrible names (they first came to be in the news after complaining that a bakery refused to write "Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler" on a cake for the kid)? They did eventually lose custody of their kids, thankfully, but I wonder what happened with the names. Usually I don't agree with changing a child's name but "Adolf Hitler" is a different story. Hopefully it was changed to something kinda similar-sounding, such as Adrian (or something completely different if the child wanted that). And hopefully the kids found a loving home somewhere!

I remember that story. The parents had a whole bunch of kids they lost custody of all of their kids. 

@Coy Koi I believe the others were Eva Braun and Aryan Nation. Did not feel anything other than pure joy when those kids were removed from their custody. They don't deserve to be parents and those kids deserve a far better childhood.

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

That's pretty much the only type of name I not only hardcore judge, but that I will absolutely call the parents out for. It's so disgusting on so many levels. People who purposely name their child like that are the worst type of scum because they're forcing such an ugly and despicable worldview onto their innocent child.

2 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I remember that story. The parents had a whole bunch of kids they lost custody of all of their kids. 

Yes, they were not-surprisingly horrible people and parents EVEN apart from their reprehensible beliefs, so all of their kids were taken away. I recall reading something about that the father then showed up at a court hearing in a replica Nazi uniform. It would be interesting to know where their kids are today, although of course I don't actually want to know because they deserve privacy.

12 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

How about giving the child a name with THEIR needs in mind. I mean, Spurgeon....really? Think about all the times your child will have to introduce themselves. Nobody enjoys having a strange name. 

Oddly enough Spurgeon isn't that unique of a name in certain circles. There is a church nursery I know of where three children are named after Charles Spurgeon and none of them are called Charles. His middle name (Haddon) is the more commonly used name if you're going to name a kid after him, but Spurgeon Seewald is not the only kid I've ever head of with that name. 

She's so nonchalant about "almost dying with the last one." Stop having kids, Sierra. 

I thought I wouldn't snark on Sierra again, after she said she'd been abused as a child, but...almost dying, then getting pregnant again? It just blows me away. Michelle did the same thing. She was fortunate that she and Josie both survived. To deliberately get pregnant after that was beyond irresponsible. Didn't God send her a messages with Josie that it was time to stop? I guess they only leave it up to God when it suits them.

I'm still stuck on the fact that Sierra never provided an explanation for "almost dying" with the last baby. There was no discussion at the time of the birth or since until now. 

On 5/14/2017 at 2:26 PM, Scrabblemaster said:

I don't know why, but I don't understand why parents choose popular names for their children. Each their own, but let me speak for myself: I had 3 boys named Christian, 3 boys named Tobias and 4 girls named Sarah and 2 girls named Sabine in my first class. There are so many beautiful special names out there, I am very very thankful that my parents chose a classic name, and not a trendy one. The only reason for me to choose a trendy name would be, if this name had a tradition in my family, or in Mr. Scrabblemaster's family.

Maybe more popular than "trendy". I tend to think of trendy as being "creative" names and spellings. 

And for a lot of people, what's popular now is traditional in their families. My husband and I decided to use family names for any children we have. So far, all of our top picks, all from the last century in our respective family trees, have been creeping up the name popularity lists in the US. One girl's name that I like has been in the top ten for several years. It's not necessarily popularity that determines whether it's picked or even heard of by the parents, either; the popularity in the US for my name peaked the year after I was born, but if you ask my mom, she'd liked the name for years and just hadn't had a girl to give it to.

ETA: I wouldn't be surprised if Krystyna was a creative spelling. A collegemate of mine, when pregnant, said that if the baby was a girl it would be Chrystyna, not for any family reason but because she liked that spelling (I asked). It probably would have been less jarring if the middle name or the boy's name she picked weren't all mainstream names spelled traditionally.

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I'm still stuck on the fact that Sierra never provided an explanation for "almost dying" with the last baby. There was no discussion at the time of the birth or since until now. 

I saw her on an Instagram Live feed that she had septic shock after the birth of her last child. Could she mean that?

5 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

I saw her on an Instagram Live feed that she had septic shock after the birth of her last child. Could she mean that?

I'm assuming she had her babies in a hospital? Do we have that right? 

I hope, if she has had these issues in the past she doesn't decide to have an unassisted homebirth "because Jessa did"!

I'm trying to remember correctly @BabyBottlePop, but I believe Sierra said she went into septic shock the night after she got back from the hospital. Anyways, it was a live feed, and it was boring, and I can't believe I listened to it as long as I did. And, I didn't listen very long...

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived