IGNORED

Hypocrisy, Thy Name Is Republican

47of74

"Anti-Gay North Dakota Lawmaker Who Was Caught On Grindr Would Still Like Your Vote, Please"

Spoiler

Republican Randy Boehning has served as a Rep. in the North Dakota state House since 2002. During that time, he's voted repeatedly against LGBTQ legislation, including a bill that would give LGBTQ individuals legal protection and another that would have "banned housing and employment discrimination based on sexual orientation."

Those are pretty run-of-the-mill votes for a modern day member of the GOP, but in Boehning's case, things are a bit different: in 2015, he was discovered on gay hook up site Grindr, sending unsolicited dick pics under the screenname Top Man.

And he's running for re-election this year.

Because of course he is.

After the x-rated pictures of Boehning were leaked to the press, the congressman came out as gay and described his time on Grindr as a "lapse in judgement." He also commented:

That’s what gay guys do on gay sites, don’t they? That’s how things happen on Grindr. It’s a gay chat site. It’s not the first thing you do on that site. That’s what we do, exchange pics on the site.

Actually, nobody wants unsolicited dick picks, Randy.

Despite this scandal's clear conflict with his voting history, Boehning is asking for your vote in his 2018 re-election campaign! 

He released a statement, which referenced his anti-LGBTQ voting history:

That is why I’m running once again. I will continue to be a strong voice for the residents in my district.

When Boehning was asked whether the Grindr scandal would impact his re-election chances, he replied:

I don’t know. I guess we’ll find out.

Boehning spoke with North Dakota talk radio host Rob Port this week about the upcoming election.

Port took to Twitter to recap the convo:

Boehning was in fact endorsed by District 27 Republicans at their meeting this week and so will be on the ballot to be re-elected for a fifth term this upcoming November. 

Guess hypocrisy is not disqualifying.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yawn. Another one. This is getting boring. Can't they just all resign at once?

GOP Rep. Farenthold resigns amid sexual harassment scandal

Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-Texas) announced Friday that he is resigning from Congress immediately after facing a backlash over using $84,000 in taxpayer funds to settle a sexual harassment claim.

“While I planned on serving out the remainder of my term in Congress, I know in my heart it’s time for me to move along and look for new ways to serve," Farenthold said in a statement.

The House Ethics Committee has also been investigating allegations of sexual harassment against Farenthold.

This developing report will be updated

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Oh look it is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday:  Time for another Republican caught with his pants around his ankles 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

A Republican douche nozzle clerk in the Iowa Senate has been made to go bye bye after a credible allegation of sexual harassment surfaced. 

Yet another person in the Iowa Senate has lost their job over a sexual harassment matter. Senator Waylon Brown’s legislative clerk, Jake Dagel, was fired this week following a complaint made against him for sexual harassment. Secretary of the Senate Charlie Smithson confirmed the firing to Starting Line late this afternoon.

Though still in his 20’s, Dagel had already racked up a rather colorful and controversial career in Iowa politics. He successfully sued DMACC over free speech zonesand won a spate over his opposition to DMACC’s support of an LGBTQ conference. At the time, Dagel complained the gay rights conference encouraged bullying of Christians. He demanded that DMACC equally fund one of his own events with a right-wing speaker that lectured against homosexuality – the college ended up doing so.

The young conservative was also one of the people who sued Des Moines over traffic cameras. Ted Cruz hired him as his senior field director for the Iowa Caucus.

Dagel also made some news on Iowa State University’s campuswhen he tricked students into signing a petition to end women’s suffrage while working as a field organizer for the right-wing Turning Points USA organization. Dagel’s apparent point was that students don’t know enough about women’s history to realize they were signing something that encourage taking voting rights away from women.

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 4:15 PM, fraurosena said:

Yep, and it looks like he left without paying the $84,000 of our money that he used to defend himself* against sexual harassment charges.  And he PROMISED he'd pay it back.  So disappointed in him.

*His defense was, "I didn't do anything wrong,"  but there's that pesky credibility problem.

Screenshot 2018-04-19 at 4.08.58 PM.png

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

He requests privacy for his transition from public life.

Welcome to today's episode of White Privilege 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

So he's finally come to the conclusion that it's better to resign immediately. 

Meehan resigns with promise to pay back alleged sexual harassment claim

Rep. Patrick Meehan is resigning from Congress effective immediately, the Pennsylvania Republican announced Friday.

Meehan, who has been battling sexual misconduct allegations, had already announced that he planned to retire from Congress. 

He said in a statement that he plans to pay back the $39,000 he used from his office account to settle a claim against him.

“While I do believe I would be exonerated of any wrongdoing, I also did not want to put my staff through the rigors of an Ethics Committee investigation and believed it was best for them to have a head start on new employment rather than being caught up in an inquiry. And since I have chosen to resign, the inquiry will not become a burden to taxpayers and committee staff,” Meehan said in a statement. 

The House Ethics Committee voted in February to open an investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Meehan and his former chief of staff.

Meehan previously sat on the committee, but was removed after The New York Times reported he used taxpayer money to settle a sexual harassment complaint with a former staffer.

The Times reported that Meehan professed romantic desires to a staffer after she initiated a relationship with a man outside the congressman’s office. Meehan then allegedly grew hostile toward the woman when she did not accept his overtures.

Meehan later acknowledged much of what the Times reported, including that he expressed his affection to the woman over ice cream and that he was upset when told of her relationship with another man.

However, he denied he harassed the woman and argued the payment was "severance."

On Friday morning, some lawmakers were overheard on the House floor congratulating Meehan for taking his last vote, which left some members speculating whether he would soon be stepping down from Congress.

Meehan, a Catholic, was one of two Republicans who stood with Democrats on the House floor on Friday while they offered a resolution that would have set up a select committee to investigate Patrick Conroy’s dismissal as House chaplain. Meehan voted with Democrats to support the resolution.

Former Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-Texas), who was facing an ethics probe after revelations he used taxpayer funds to settle a sexual harassment claim involving a former aide, also resigned from Congress earlier this month.

Pennsylvania state law mandates that the governor call a special election for no earlier than 60 days from Meehan's resignation.

Pennsylvania state law mandates that the governor set a date for a special election within 10 days of Meehan's resignation. The date of the election must be at least 60 days from the date the governor makes that announcement.

In that special election, candidates will run for the right to finish Meehan's term until the end of the year. There won't be an official primary ballot, as the political parties will pick their own candidates during nominating conventions.

But while the state Supreme Court ruled the state's congressional lines unconstitutional and redrew the lines for the 2018 cycle, the special election will occur under those old lines. For that reason, when Gov. Tom Wolf (D) schedules the special election, voters will be tasked with choosing someone to represent the old district for the remainder of the year, as well as another lawmaker to represent the new district in 2019.

Meehan's old district, the 7th Congressional District, had been considered a toss-up seat because Democrat Hillary Clinton won it during the 2016 presidential election. The new district, which will be the 5th Congressional District, is overwhelmingly Democratic.

• Upvote 3

Yes,  Tommy-boy, you worked tirelessly to screw over the American public: "Trump’s former health secretary: Americans will pay more because GOP weakened Obamacare"

Spoiler

President Trump's former top health official on Tuesday said the Republican tax law would raise the cost of health insurance for some Americans because it repealed a core provision of the Affordable Care Act.

Tom Price, Trump's first secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, said people buying insurance on government-run marketplaces will face higher prices because the tax law repealed the ACA's individual mandate. The mandate had forced most Americans to have health coverage or face a financial penalty.

“There are many, and I’m one of them, who believes that that actually will harm the pool in the exchange market, because you’ll likely have individuals who are younger and healthier not participating in that market, and consequently that drives up the cost for other folks within that market,” Price said at the World Health Care Conference in Washington.

Price's comments are in line with predictions from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, which in November projected 13 million fewer Americans would have health insurance by 2027 as a result of the elimination of the individual mandate. The CBO also said average premiums in the exchanges would increase by about 10 percent in most years over the next decade, compared with a scenario in which the mandate had been left in place.

“Those effects would occur mainly because healthier people would be less likely to obtain insurance and because, especially in the nongroup market, the resulting increases in premiums would cause more people to not purchase insurance,” the CBO said at the time.

Democrats cited the CBO's projections in making their case against the tax law last fall, and they quickly seized on Price's remarks Tuesday. Republicans, including Price, have long maintained that the mandate represented a burden on taxpayers that forced them into coverage they did not want or need.

“The individual mandate is one of those things that is actually driving up the cost for the American people in terms of coverage,” Price said on ABC’s “This Week” last summer. “So what we’re trying to do is make it so that Obamacare is no longer harming the patients of this land — no longer driving up costs, no longer making it so that they’ve got coverage but no care.”

Price left his position at HHS in September after Politico reported on his use of taxpayer-funded charter flights. His comments Tuesday were first reported by The Washington Times.

Price's comments follow a recent criticism of the tax law from Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who told the Economist he was unconvinced the law's corporate cuts would significantly raise wages for American workers. During the debate over the law, White House officials repeatedly said the corporate cuts would increase average wages by $4,000 per worker.

Yeah, I'm sure you really care, jerk.

• Upvote 7

22 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Yes,  Tommy-boy, you worked tirelessly to screw over the American public: "Trump’s former health secretary: Americans will pay more because GOP weakened Obamacare"

Reveal hidden contents

President Trump's former top health official on Tuesday said the Republican tax law would raise the cost of health insurance for some Americans because it repealed a core provision of the Affordable Care Act.

Tom Price, Trump's first secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, said people buying insurance on government-run marketplaces will face higher prices because the tax law repealed the ACA's individual mandate. The mandate had forced most Americans to have health coverage or face a financial penalty.

“There are many, and I’m one of them, who believes that that actually will harm the pool in the exchange market, because you’ll likely have individuals who are younger and healthier not participating in that market, and consequently that drives up the cost for other folks within that market,” Price said at the World Health Care Conference in Washington.

Price's comments are in line with predictions from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, which in November projected 13 million fewer Americans would have health insurance by 2027 as a result of the elimination of the individual mandate. The CBO also said average premiums in the exchanges would increase by about 10 percent in most years over the next decade, compared with a scenario in which the mandate had been left in place.

“Those effects would occur mainly because healthier people would be less likely to obtain insurance and because, especially in the nongroup market, the resulting increases in premiums would cause more people to not purchase insurance,” the CBO said at the time.

Democrats cited the CBO's projections in making their case against the tax law last fall, and they quickly seized on Price's remarks Tuesday. Republicans, including Price, have long maintained that the mandate represented a burden on taxpayers that forced them into coverage they did not want or need.

“The individual mandate is one of those things that is actually driving up the cost for the American people in terms of coverage,” Price said on ABC’s “This Week” last summer. “So what we’re trying to do is make it so that Obamacare is no longer harming the patients of this land — no longer driving up costs, no longer making it so that they’ve got coverage but no care.”

Price left his position at HHS in September after Politico reported on his use of taxpayer-funded charter flights. His comments Tuesday were first reported by The Washington Times.

Price's comments follow a recent criticism of the tax law from Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who told the Economist he was unconvinced the law's corporate cuts would significantly raise wages for American workers. During the debate over the law, White House officials repeatedly said the corporate cuts would increase average wages by $4,000 per worker.

Yeah, I'm sure you really care, jerk.

That was yesterday. Today Tommy boy says repealing the mandate was the right thing.

• Upvote 5

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but since it's about Repugs, I figured this is as good as anywhere:

• Upvote 10

Sweet Rufus. I don't know whether to laugh or clutch my pearls... wait, I don't have any pearls to clutch. Laugh it is then. :pb_lol:

Trump Ethic Attorney’s Wife Found In Backseat Of A Car Doing It With Inmate

Two top Trump attorneys are in the limelight this week, and it’s not for their outstanding job representing Trump or his business interests.

Bobby Burchfield, who serves as the Trump Organization’s top ethics counsel, and is a longtime Republican attorney, just saw his wife arrested on for having intercourse with an inmate at a local jailhouse in Warrenton, Virgina. Authorities found her in the backseat of a vehicle that was located right next to the Fauquier County Adult Detention Center.

Per the Fauquier Times:

“The defendant was caught in the backseat of her vehicle with an inmate…,” Dept. J. B. Thorpe wrote in Burchfield’s criminal complaint. “When the inmate exited the vehicle, he handed me a bag of brown pills (capsules), that he claims to be workout pills.”

After the two were discovered, the inmate, Hartman said, was found in possession of cigarettes, clothes, vitamin supplements and other “unauthorized articles alleged to have been obtained from the female.”

[pic of the wife]

This had apparently been happening for about a month according to court filings, and they were only recently found out after local prison guards noticed “suspicious” activity in the car.

Burchfield was charged with delivering unauthorized articles to a prisoner and was released with class 1 misdemeanor charges on a $5,000 bond.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Bobby Burchfield, who serves as the Trump Organization’s top ethics counsel, and is a longtime Republican attorney, just saw his wife arrested on for having intercourse with an inmate at a local jailhouse in Warrenton, Virgina. Authorities found her in the backseat of a vehicle that was located right next to the Fauquier County Adult Detention Center.

Per the Fauquier Times:

Ethics? Trump has ethics? 

• Haha 5

The hypocrisy comes in where he primly renames torture "enhanced". 

Torture sounds bad, enhancing is like improving. #allwordsmatter

Also he claims torture keeps America safe while cognizant that torture is apt to elicit false confessions and fake intel took America to yet another war.

And he didn't even keep his friends safe

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 2

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Also he claims torture keeps America safe while cognizant that torture is apt to elicit false confessions and fake intel took America to yet another war.

I have this little fantasy for these cowardly people who like to promote torture so much.

I would like them to be suddenly and unexpectedly be grabbed by a group of masked and armed men, a bag pulled over their heads and then whisked off to a secret location. There the bag will be removed and they will be forcibly locked in a grimy, bare cell with no windows. There are dark red and brown stains on the walls and floor. Harsh lights will go on and off at irregular intervals. Then they will start to hear screams, and they will hear the sounds of thumping and clanking, drilling, bonking and bashing. They will hear moans and grunts and cries. At some point footsteps will be heard running outside, the doorknob will be rattled. Boots will come running, then a loud bang against the door, a grunt and then a whimper.  Shoes will be heard scraping along the floor. After a couple of long hours of this, the door will finally open. They will be taken from the cell  (in my fantasy they will be struggling and mewling with fear) and brought into a room decorated with all kinds of instruments of torture. They will be placed on a chair and left alone again, to wonder in abject fear what will happen to them. After some time a voice will suddenly ask through the intercom: "Tell me, what are your thoughts about torture now, hmmm?"

No physical harm will actually happen to them, of course. I'm not that cruel.

In the end they will find out that it was all a hoax, and nobody was tortured at all. It was all just actors and props. But I wonder if they will still be such a proponent of the practice of torture after being subjected to the possibility of falling victim to it themselves. 

• Upvote 7

That sounds like a good fantasy. I would add to it that their thoughts on torture when they are faced with it are recorded and shared with the world. I suspect that despite being scared out of their minds, some of them would go right back to claiming torture is great. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4