IGNORED

Hypocrisy, Thy Name Is Republican

47of74

Absolutely true. I thought when OFM left I'd be done yelling at the news/the TV. Nope, I'm not.

• Upvote 8

More hypocrisy:

• Disgust 4
  • WTF 3

You can’t sugarcoat the fact that you voted against the bill, dearie. That means you also voted against the bits you are now attempting to take credit for. You can’t hide the fact that you’re just as much of a hypocrite as all the rest of the Republicans.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2

Chris Murphy isn't having any of it from Repugs.

• Upvote 6

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Howl said:

This literally makes me want to puke.

:puke-huge:

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9

• 3 months later...

"GOP lawmaker opposed same-sex marriage, then went to gay son’s wedding"

Rep. Glenn Thompson (R-Pa.) last week voted against federal legislation that would require states to recognize same-sex marriages. Three days later, the congressman attended his son’s same-sex wedding.

“Congressman and Mrs. Thompson were thrilled to attend and celebrate their son’s marriage on Friday night as he began this new chapter in his life. The Thompsons are very happy to welcome their new son-in-law into their family,” Thompson’s press secretary, Maddison Stone, told The Washington Post late Monday in an email.

On July 19, Thompson joined 156 other Republican House members in opposing the Respect for Marriage Act. Congressional Democrats are pushing the legislation in response to the Supreme Court last month overturning Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that for nearly a half-century guaranteed women the right to abortion. The court’s ruling sparked fears that other high-profile precedents could be next.

BuzzFeed on Tuesday posted the speech Thompson made at the wedding, which was provided by a guest who was in attendance.

“As they grow and as they get a little older, we also hope and pray they’re going to find that one true love so that they have the opportunity to experience that: Someone to grow old with,” Thompson said.

“We love it when they find their one true love, especially when they become a part of our families then,” he added.

After the vote but before the wedding, Thompson’s press secretary denounced the legislation as a political sleight-of-hand designed to distract voters.

“This bill was nothing more than an election-year messaging stunt for Democrats in Congress who have failed to address historic inflation and out of control prices at gas pumps and grocery stores,” Stone said in an email to the Centre Daily Times.

Stone did not respond to The Post’s question about what Gawker, which first reported the news, described as the “apparent hypocrisy” of the congressman celebrating his son’s wedding after voting against federal legislation that would guarantee his son the right to have that wedding.

The Respect for Marriage Act is a fail-safe. At the moment, the Supreme Court’s 2015 ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges bars states from banning same-sex marriages. In addition to protecting same-sex marriages, the Respect for Marriage Act would enshrine the right for interracial couples to marry, something that’s protected by the court’s 1967 ruling in Loving v. Virginia.

Democrats’ fears were fanned by Justice Clarence Thomas’s concurring opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, the decision that overturned Roe. In that opinion, Thomas wrote that the same legal rationale the court used to topple Roe could be used to reverse other decisions, The Post reported.

“In future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell,” Thomas wrote, referring to rulings that established rights to contraception, same-sex relationships and marriage equality, respectively. “Because any substantive due process decision is ‘demonstrably erroneous’ … we have a duty to ‘correct the error’ established in those precedents.”

Earlier this month, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) said the Supreme Court was “clearly wrong” when it guaranteed the right to same-sex marriage with Obergefell, which he said “ignored two centuries of our nation’s history,” the Dallas Morning News reported.

“Marriage was always an issue that was left to the states,” Cruz said in a YouTube clip posted on July 16. “We saw states before Obergefell that were moving, some states were moving to allow gay marriage; other states were moving to allow civil partnerships.”

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said Cruz’s comments should raise concerns, The Post reported. “As we know from the Dobbs decision, one of the things that we saw from [Thomas] is that they are looking to go further, whether it’s privacy, contraception or marriage equality,” she said.

Most Americans support same-sex marriage. Last week, Marquette Law School released a poll showing that two-thirds of respondents back the Supreme Court’s decision that the Constitution guarantees a right to same-sex marriage.

On June 26, 2015, the day the Supreme Court issued its ruling in Obergefell, Thompson’s reaction to the news suggested there was a gap between what he believed and what he thought was good public policy.

“Regardless of my personal beliefs and my continued support for states’ rights, today’s ruling must be followed by adequate Congressional oversight in order to assure that federal protections the Supreme Court has granted to same-sex couples does not infringe upon the religious liberties of others,” he said in a statement to PennLive.com.

Thompson’s son confirmed to NBC News that his father attended his wedding but focused on the fact that he “married the love of [his] life.”

Having cleared the House, the fate of the Respect for Marriage Act lies with the Senate. The legislation faces an uncertain future given that, in the evenly divided Senate, it must win unanimous Democratic support and 10 Republican votes to overcome a filibuster.

• Upvote 4

Cotton has an advanced degree in hypocrisy:

• WTF 6

Just in case anyone missed this lovely item from CPAC.

And this sums it all up.

• Upvote 8

Uttering the word gay in front of children is indoctrinating them, but this crap is okay? Seriously?

• Disgust 1
  • WTF 4

13 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Uttering the word gay in front of children is indoctrinating them, but this crap is okay? Seriously?

Chances of those kids growing up to be well-adjusted adults- 0%.

Chances that one or both of them will get mocked at school for their ridiculous outfits- 100%.  My money is on the boy with the terrible Trump impersonation.  The girl still has the "I'm so little and cute" going for her. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AlmostSavedAtTacoBell said:

Chances of those kids growing up to be well-adjusted adults- 0%.

Chances that one or both of them will get mocked at school for their ridiculous outfits- 100%.  My money is on the boy with the terrible Trump impersonation.  The girl still has the "I'm so little and cute" going for her. 

I wouldn't be surprised if at least the young man if not both of them are homeschooled.

• Upvote 4

The party of law and order, that screams that the Dems want to defund the police, wants to defund the police:

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4

We want to keep the local police and sheriffs because they hate the same people we do. We want to defund the FBI and the DOJ because they work very hard to be as impartial as possible and go after people who are breaking the law. (Notice I didn't say they always are impartial just that they work hard to be impartial.)

• Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

image.thumb.png.88039618f527211995ebbeebec890a9e.png

I really, really hope bullshit like this creates a blue wave this Fall.  I HAVE to believe that most Americans, even die-hard Republicans, believe in the rule of law and will not stand for this.  

• Upvote 8

The White House Twitter account seems to have been taken over by Dark Brandon (or maybe Fetterman’s social media team) and is posting all that data about the Republicans and their loan forgiveness.

• Upvote 8

15 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

image.png.2064f156f2347e97e5d6b334a5aa6563.png

I decided to check out this Stephen Moore when I saw the original posting was April 1 (you never know on this particular date, lol).  He’s even more of a lowlife than just the $333,000 he owed his ex-wife and children. Ugh. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

28 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

I decided to check out this Stephen Moore when I saw the original posting was April 1 (you never know on this particular date, lol).  He’s even more of a lowlife than just the $333,000 he owed his ex-wife and children. Ugh. 

He's a total scumbucket. There's no surprise that he's totally aboard the trump train.

• Upvote 4

The White House Twitter bringing the goods is fantastic.  I would really like to see people show up at events where these whiners are speaking with big posters of the White House Twitter response to their "it's unfair" tweets.  I am someone who paid back all of my student loans.  Know what?  I am 100% on board with the loan forgiveness.  Why?  Because I am a believer in trying to make things better for the next generation and leaving the world a better place than I found it.  Also I had people in my life who helped me in different ways.  Not financially but as mentors, as friends, as the person who I called because I didn't know how to change a tire (I have since learned) who dropped what he was doing to come help me- so I have a chance to help others by supporting the loan forgiveness and paying whatever taxes (if any) that involves.  I have already talked to several people who will have their debt completely wiped out or will have a dent made in what they owe but will benefit from the other parts of the program such as the 5% cap on payments.  I also see it as a whole lot of people now have more money in their pockets which means more money to spend and stimulate the economy or more money to save up for a down payment on a house which means a more stable living situation (and more potential buyers when it comes time for me to sell my house.)  Yeah, early on I worked a second part-time job in addition to my full-time job because I had loans to pay and my full-time job didn't pay very well.  Yeah, I was exhausted and felt like it would never end.  Yeah, I lived in a crappy apartment in a not so great area and had crappy furniture and ate a lot of Ramen and tuna.  Yeah, I drove a crappy car and hoped every time I drove it that it would keep running and not fall apart.  It was frustrating and many times I felt like I had made a big mistake by not just starting a job right after high school.  So why in the hell would I want anyone else to have to go through that experience when this program gives them a chance at avoiding it?  These assholes who are whining about having to do what I did so it's not fair are the current version of "when I was a kid I had to walk to school uphill both ways in blizzards!"  The Rs really are the party of "fuck you, I got mine and I want yours."

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

What the Republicans refuse to acknowledge is that taxpayers have always subsidized public college education. I know there was a time when the public universities in California were tuition free for residents. With state legislators regularly cutting support to the public universities, the universities had to charge students more money and for greater percentage of what their education actually cost. Republicans forget that when some of them were in school it was possible to work a summer job and work during breaks and do work study and be able to pay for most or all of your college education. Now that is almost impossible if not completely impossible. And wallet the plays into it, the increase isn't just because of Athletics or new recreational facilities or new residence halls.

• Upvote 8

Chaffetz loves being a hypocrite:

image.png.db06a98bdb47cddcb9807fadce682aa3.png

• Thank You 6