IGNORED

United States Governors

Cartmann99

Look everybody! A Republican with a clue.

Md. Gov. Hogan is against arming teachers, aims to improve school safety

I shouldn't snark, every once and a while, Hogan does the right thing.  I just wish he wold switch parties.

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan says he’s against arming classroom teachers, supports banning bump stocks and is endorsing clarifying legislation in Annapolis that would remove firearms from those convicted of domestic abuse.

At a news conference announcing his plans to put $125 million toward improving building safety at Maryland schools, Hogan said Wednesday, “Classrooms should never be a place of fear for our children, and no mom or dad should ever have to worry when they send their kids off to school in the morning, whether their son or daughter is going to have to come home safely.”

Hogan’s proposal is intended to shore up school safety by securing doors and windows, adding metal detectors at entrances and panic buttons in interiors, for example.

The governor is also submitting emergency legislation designed to put additional safety measures in place. “We will require every school system in Maryland to conduct a mandatory annual school-by-school safety assessment,” he said.

According to Hogan, the plan would also include “a specific plan to address behavioral threats as well as a plan of action in the event of an emergency.”

Hogan referred to the recent case of a Montgomery County student who was arrested after reportedly bringing a firearm to Clarksburg High School on numerous occasions. The governor credited coordination between the school and law enforcement in making the arrest.

“Great work is already being done to insure the safety of Maryland’s students, our teachers and our schools. In many ways, our state is ahead of the curve,” he said.

Hogan, a Republican who is running for re-election, is at odds with the National Rifle Association over the issue of bump stocks.

When asked about the NRA’s position that bump stocks should be regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Hogan told reporters, “Obviously, they have a right to weigh in with their opinion,” and added, “I think the president — who I don’t always agree with — said the other day he didn’t care what the NRA says, he was going to push for getting rid of bump stocks at the federal level.”

Hogan said he would support bills currently under consideration in Annapolis that would strengthen and clarify laws regarding access to firearms by anyone convicted of domestic violence. Hogan referred to the recent shooting death of Prince George’s County police Sgt. Mujahid Ramzziddin, who defended a woman involved in a domestic dispute when he was killed.

Hogan said Maryland already has some of the toughest gun restrictions in place: He referred to the ban on assault-style weapons enacted before he was elected.

• Upvote 6

http://www.abc17news.com/news/lawmakers-pass-resolution-to-allow-greitens-investigation/709067098

The House passed the decision unanimously. 

Resolution 55-65 was filed on Tuesday afternoon. 

A special committee will be investigating the governor after his indictment on a felony invasion of privacy charge. 

The chairman for the special committee, Rep. Jay Barnes, said the hearing will be closed during witness testimony so other potential witnesses will not hear the details. 

The committee is comprised of four Republicans and two Democrats.  Barnes said every member of the committee will be an equal member. 

The charge stems from allegations that Greitens took a partially nude photo of a woman without her consent. 

The committee will have 40 days to come to their decision with the ability to extend the process.

• Upvote 5

And now there is an investigation into the charity founded by Greitens because he apparently sent invitations to political consultants from the charity’s email.

http://www.abc17news.com/news/attorney-generals-office-opens-inquiry-into-charity-founded-by-greitens/709615662

sidenote that the state attorney general is Josh Hawley who is one of the Republicans wanting to run against Incumbent Senator Claire McCaskell.  

• Upvote 5

God, Gov Greitens is that stupid.

Grietens is a Republican accused of felony invasion of privacy. He has repeatedly laid into St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner, the city's first black prosecutor and a former Democratic lawmaker.

In one Facebook post, the governor called Gardner "anti-law enforcement." In another, he said she is a "reckless liberal prosecutor" using her office to score political points.

A Gardner spokeswoman says the prosecutor will not play "political games."

Yeah, keep talking dumb shit.  That's not gonna help you in the least to make the prosecutor want to make a deal with you if you want to plead guilty. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

God, Gov Greitens is that stupid.

Yeah, keep talking dumb shit.  That's not gonna help you in the least to make the prosecutor want to make a deal with you if you want to plead guilty. 

Well he is taking a page out of Trump's Tweet School of Idiocy. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Well he is taking a page out of Trump's Tweet School of Idiocy. 

Yeah, no kidding.  If I was one of those high priced attorneys this genius no doubt has access to I think the first thing I would tell him is to not say a fucking word about the prosecutor, judge, or anyone else about anyone. 

Better yet, I'd tell him to take a look at one L. Scott Briscoe's facebook page to help him figure out why going after people in the press is a bad idea when one is under criminal indictment.

• Upvote 7

So they think Greitens needs a go fund me for his legal defense.

• WTF 5

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

So they think Greitens needs a go fund me for his legal defense.

Tell him to ask Derick. That boy has tons of tremendous and bigly knowledge on GoFundMe scamming begging swindling raising money

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/03/20/christine-quinn-criticizes-cynthia-nixons-bid-for-governor-shes-an-unqualified-lesbian/23390791/

Although just announced yesterday, Cynthia Nixon's bid for New York governor is already stirring the political pot. 

One of her biggest critics so far is former city council speaker and New York City mayoral candidate, Christine Quinn. 

"Cynthia Nixon was opposed to having a qualified lesbian become mayor of New York City," said Quinn in an interview with the New York Post, referring to Nixon's endorsement of Bill de Blasio over Quinn in the 2013 Democratic primary for mayor.

"Now she wants to be an unqualified lesbian to be the governor of New York. You have to be qualified and have experience. She isn’t qualified to be the governor," Quinn added. 

Quinn is openly gay and a supporter of New York's current governor Andrew Cuomo.

The "unqualified" comment seems to stem from the fact that Nixon — despite having a history of political activism — has never run for or held office. 

FWIW, the governor of my state (Tom Wolf) was not a politician when he ran for governor.  Some polls seem to be in favor of him winning a second term in November, some not so much, but he's a Democrat, which can only help in the fall.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

What.the.everloving.fuck?

Next the women of Indiana will be walking around like this...

image.png.8832d7ca76ef4989ded91e6de6dcb6a1.png

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Using my best words here: gobsmacked, dumbfounded, stunned, appalled, chilled, sickened, enraged, but really, there are no words describe the level of idiocy and ugliness inherent in this mandate.  And this?  What is this? Failure to disclose past abortions can result in 6 months in jail and $1000 fine.  They have just criminalized privacy.  They just criminalized a woman's body.  They just criminalized anguish.  They just legalized this punitive insanity.  And how would this work, exactly?  Are abortion providers obligated to set up a registry that they have to submit to the state which will then be compared to information submitted from providers?  

I'm sure legal challenges have already been filed because this is unconstitutional and let's just get it right out there: fuck. states. rights. 

My immediate thoughts are about women in a small town who go to their local doc.  Let's say they now feel compelled to disclose this information out of a sense of honesty or fear and it's read by one of the nosy office staff who just can't keep the information to herself.  Or some asshole hacks the registry and posts this private information on line.

ETA: I originally came over to post that Geitens is still hanging on for no reason that I can fathom.  He's an indicted sitting governor with zero support from his own party -- they want him out the door.  I suspect they will do everything possible to impeach him before the Nov. elections.  

Edited by Howl
  • I Agree 5

• 3 weeks later...

I don't blame my sister and brother in law for moving out of Missouri now

A Missouri state House committee released a graphic report Wednesday including lurid details of alleged conduct by Gov. Eric Greitens with a woman who testified under oath that Greitens subjected her to non-consensual sexual activity and violence. 

The report could set the stage for impeachment proceedings against the embattled Republican governor, who already faces criminal invasion of privacy charges in addition to multiple ongoing probes.

The woman, whose name was concealed by the committee, said under oath that the governor staged and took a photo of her bound and blindfolded, and then threatened to release the photo, were she to disclose their encounter.

"You're not going to mention my name. Don't even mention my name to anybody at all, because if you do, I'm going to take these pictures, and I'm going to put them everywhere I can. They are going to be everywhere," he said, according to her testimony, "and then everyone will know what a little whore you are." The governor previously denied that he had ever blackmailed or threatened the woman.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 4

From the Columbia Missourian, more details and a link to the legislature's report:

The report has extensive testimony from the woman, who told the committee about each encounter she had with Greitens. According to the report, the committee found the woman’s testimony credible.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4

The Greitens thing is such a cluster.  There are two legal investigations going in addition to the Mo Leg investigation that published that report yesterday.  But I was further annoyed by Greitens pre-Mo Leg Committee data release press conference where he essentially whined about everything being incomplete and lies.  (and I did NOT vote for the man.  I didn't trust him because of the salary he was pulling out of his 'charity' - among other things)

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Oh honey, really?!? Don't be surprised when it's reelection time if one of those teachers you've been disparaging decides to challenge you. Also sweetpea, you've made yourself some enemies outside of Kentucky who will happily contribute to your opponent's campaign. :twisted:

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1

Larry Hogan has been seen snuggling up with Betsy De Ville  DeVos. I suppose he really wants to be a one term wonder. Sorry Lawrence, you just got back on my shit list.

• Upvote 5

@AmazonGrace I just came here to post a link to the KRCG piece on that.

http://krcgtv.com/news/local/hawley-accuses-greitens-of-criminal-activity-in-governors-charity-investigation

Hmmmm now we know why Greitens called for him to step aside (which won't happen with Hawley going after Claire McCaskill's Senate seat)  

• Upvote 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic