IGNORED

Good grief, how did Sherry not set the house afire?

bionicmlle

It burns! Oh, how it burns! I need to cleanse myself after this trial. Alcohol and impure thoughts will be the only way.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, that makes sense. Also, I don't know a whole lot about Communism and how that relates to religion, but I always assumed that Cuba would have a pretty heavy Catholic population. Why send missionaries?

Cuz, de evil Catholics aren't really Christians silly! Every We-Are-Real-Christians fundy knows that. :D

Goodness, blah blah blah blah. I could not read that whole post. And yes, EDIT! The hair, the dress, the uber pink lipstick... gack.

But that baby... just gorgeous!

She looks like Tammy Fay's little sister with all the "face paint"! :shock: I see she lists some of the Maxwell books as her "favs". I would love to see the look on Stevie's face if she came trotting to a session in all dolled up in that fancy dress and "war paint" all over her face. :lol:

What on earth is the TV editing thing that blocks out all the "naughty bits" she's listed???

The blog about her sister who died of cancer was very sweet. He sis was a RN and looked pretty "normal". She had bear arms and wore pants.

OH MY GOD. That party would have been perfect for a 7 year old. She's quoting the Disney movie Tangled and she's 22? Talk about stunted!

If these girls are so stunted that they have the emotional maturity of a 12 year old when they're in their 20's, how are they supposed to get married, run households and have babies? How do you go from having a 'Tangled' themed birthday party to cooking, cleaning, keeping a budget, taking care of kids, running a household, ect all on your own, not as a sistermom??? This SAHD crap just baffles me.

My 5 year old had a Tangled party for her last birthday. I told my husband about the 22 year old SAHD who was obsessed with Tangled. He said perhaps the girl trapped in a tower, not allowed to see or touch the outside world, by a parent with ulterior motives might..... resonate with her?

Especially the fact that some young man finally came up to help her get free? (I know, I know, Mother Gothel wasn't her mother, but the analogy holds.)

Good God, I was prepared for the "all about me" part of the post from what you all had said, but not for how bloody LONG it is.

I know she planned it with her late sister and so how much it must have meant to her to have the tea...but damn, the endless detail about every. little. thing. I was kind of distracted from the "what it meant" from the thoughts of "...is this ever going to *end*?"

After half a bottle of a nice white wine, I waded back in to the baby shower post. I had only skimmed it earlier. This stopped me dead in my tracks.

"For many years the Lord has blessed me with another baby within 7 to 9 months after I give birth. "

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?!?!? More alcohol.

After half a bottle of a nice white wine, I waded back in to the baby shower post. I had only skimmed it earlier. This stopped me dead in my tracks.

"For many years the Lord has blessed me with another baby within 7 to 9 months after I give birth. "

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?!?!? More alcohol.

She might mean she becomes pregnant seven-to-nine months after having given birth. Ack! Too many kids too close together.

Edit: After some thought, I decided to remove my earlier comment.

I hope that the new mother enjoyed the baby shower. I also hope that Sherry found solace in completing the project she and her late sister started.

I don't actually find her actions offensive - except for the poor judgment that caused her to light those candles. (Well, and her taste in decorating leaves something to be desired, but anyway...)

She stated at the beginning of her post that this was a baby shower for someone else. For me, that was clear from the beginning.

She recently lost her sister, with whom she shared this love for all things neo-Victorian. They had planned this event together, in part to take the sister's mind off a disabling condition.

The author once lost a child as well, and her husband is a missionary in some "communist country" - maybe China. For 20 years she has endured uncertainty and poverty - she and her children.

It's not the life most of us would live, but she tries to make the best of it. It's hard for me to snark on that.

Yeah, the dress and the hair and the decorations are hideous, but I actually feel bad for her after reading a couple entries on her blog and her daughter's. It looked like she lost a baby near the end of her last pregnancy while her sister was dying of cancer.

I feel for the daughter, though. My parents weren't fundie but we were brought up fairly oversheltered, and it was especially worse for me because I am the oldest. There are definitely things in the movie Tangled that resonate for me. Beyond that, though, I still love the movie for it's humor and music. I'd like to give the daughter and her family the benefit of the doubt on this. It sounds like her sisters planned the theme and a few of them are still very young, and maybe the adult members of the family went along with it to indulge the little ones. I don't know. She definitely seems very sheltered, but maybe she's not always treated as such a child as the post suggests?

Wow. I feel bad for her that she lost a baby and then her sister so close together. That being said, her blog page actually gives me a headache. There is just so much going on on that page. And the pink! And OMG if I decorated my house like that my husband would probably burn it down and collect the insurance. I do think she did a nice job on the cake (minus that tulle or whatever it was she had draped around it). And the pic of the new baby is adorable.

She might mean she becomes pregnant seven-to-nine months after having given birth. Ack! Too many kids too close together.

Ohhhh, right. Thanks, Burris. I had forgotten that they are babies the second they're conceived. Silly me.

That's not a 'blessing' for the baby who gets displaced as youngest and it probably would not be happening if she was breastfeeding as long as various health organizations recommend. I know some people can swing having two kids really close together, but most do not already have eleventy kids to care for and school.

I can see leaving it up to God, but these people are totally trying to get pregnant as quickly as possible. If avoiding sex when you are fertile is birth control, then charting your days and having sex only to get pregnant is also birth control. You're just controlling it is a different way.

I've been reading her blog all afternoon. She looked like a tramp in the outfit her husband got her. I was so surprised to see her in it after reading the blog all afternoon.

I had 5 brothers and not one of them would have ever gotten into matching p.j.'s. They'd have died first, let alone having their pics taken.

These fundy blogs are like fairy tales of happy families. I just can't quite believe it.

If the pics of gardens were her gardens, she is a great flower gardener, though. She has lots of talents but I'll bet she's way high maintenance for a preacher's wife.

Do you think her sons want to puke? I can't see how all those little knick knacks stay unbroken! I can just imagine my hubby viewing one of those pink rooms. He'd have a fit!

I like the dress. :oops: Anyway, I'll give her this--she's talented and creative. Her decorating is certainly not my taste--it really does remind me of my grandma's taste. Did I ever tell you all just how much I hate dolls? The doll pictures made me feel uncomfortable.

She does sound like she's not quite in touch with reality.

You know, one of my friends is very into the victorian aesthetic, getting her masters in the time period, even.

She would not decorate this pink.

(...it would be blue instead. Remember, pink wasn't for girls until about, oh the 40's)

I'm on vacation this week and I rented an early 1900s mining cabin turned into a rather livable house for a week in Bisbee, Arizona. (You can tell the kitchen and bathroom are additions, because they're on the outside of the 18-inch thick adobe walls, plus the wiring runs in the walls, not in conduits attached to the wall.) Today, I stumbled upon the videos of the 1900 House, a Channel 4/PBS production from 2000. Holy crap, if Sherry had to live in 1900...well, I don't know that she would have made it to twelve kids alive considering maternal mortality, as well as all the ways you could harm yourself. That life was HARD. I love the 21st century. Hell, even 1965 was wonderful compared to 1900 (altho' I'd miss chatting with you all on the computer).

<<< first of the lot of videos for 1900 House. (Part 14 has a bit where the family first buys forbidden shampoo and then a discussion of how awful the food was.)

I read her blog pretty regularly and that post was even more rambling than usual. The husband does sneak into cuba every now and then to do his "work", but they have also been doing a bit domestically and in mexico. I think the danger is VERY overstated.

Doesnt she have a bazillion kids to be looking after and homeskoolin rather than making "baby tea" invites and making sure every inch of the house is covered in lace?

Not to disgrace the dead but her sister *did* refer to Sherry's last MC as "my baby" and there was quite a bit of romantasizing about that on the remembrance post. weird to me. ("Oh, thank Goodness you lost the baby! Now I'll have a precious baby to care for when I cross through the Pearly Gates!"

:shock:

Yet again another blog that caused my husband to come back for a second look as he walked by. He said he would seriously consider divorce if I tried to decorate our house like that.

I'd divorce myself if my house ever ended up looking like that.

Archived