IGNORED

Trump 5: Coming up trumps

samurai_sarah

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have been carrying my US passport for months, just in case ever asked "your papers, please".  Got my federally-compliant Maryland drivers license not long ago. Have either registered independent (in states with open primaries) or as Republican since 1976, the first time could vote for president. Maryland usually goes Democratic but we have a veritable infestation of Trump signs in my rural county.  I just double-dog DARE anyone without an "official election worker" to challenge my right to vote...it's gonna be fun to drop my voice an octave to "full field herald mode", enunciate clearly, and offer the paperwork.

1 hour ago, sawasdee said:

I'm being barred from watching from watching these videos with a Thai language explanation that I can't read.....

Sorry. :pb_sad:

I found an article that summarizes the two sketches. They discuss the Melanianade one first, and then the one about the debate:

http://decider.com/2016/10/16/snl-recap-emily-blunt-alec-baldwin-trump/

I know that we're still 3+ weeks out, but I just heard that recent polls put Hillary AHEAD in Georgia,  yes, GEORGIA! I know that is not a swing state, but if she can carry GEORGIA, well, that's pretty encouraging!!!

Fingers crossed and breathing deeply. . .

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Watching that I think he got the maddest about the bit where they declared Hills the president

He's really gonna hate November 8th then...

9 minutes ago, AuntK said:

I know that we're still 3+ weeks out, but I just heard that recent polls put Hillary AHEAD in Georgia,  yes, GEORGIA! I know that is not a swing state, but if she can carry GEORGIA, well, that's pretty encouraging!!!

Fingers crossed and breathing deeply. . .

I'm still registered to vote in Georgia (I'm in the Northeast getting a PhD), and I sent in my absentee ballot two weeks ago. If there is any chance at all that Georgia could go purple or even blue, I want to do my part. The state I'm attending school is in solid blue, so my vote wouldn't matter as much.

Just FYI! I know a lot of you might know this, but it is ILLEGAL for anyone to intimidate you at the polls. Here's the quote in the U.S. Code:

"Whoever intimidates, threatens, coerces, or attempts to intimidate, threaten, or coerce, any other person for the purpose of interfering with the right of such other person to vote or to vote as he may choose, or of causing such other person to vote for, or not to vote for, any candidate for the office of President, Vice President, Presidential elector, Member of the Senate, Member of the House of Representatives, Delegate from the District of Columbia, or Resident Commissioner, at any election held solely or in part for the purpose of electing such candidate, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both."

Poll Watches can watch you, but nothing more. If they touch you, threaten you, ask for ID, ask for whom you are voting, try to talk you out of voting, or anything else that can be construed as intimidation, call 911, talk to a recognized Election Official, or contact a civil rights group or lawyer. And please do NOT leave the polling place until you have voted! Stay on the phone, put the phone on speaker so others can hear.

To prove Trump has not a clue of what he speaks of, you can't go around claiming to be the Law and Order candidate and then incite your base to break the law. 

In other alarming news: A GOP office in Hillsborough, North Carolina was firebombed. 

1 minute ago, Mecca said:

To prove Trump has not a clue of what he speaks of, you can't go around claiming to be the Law and Order candidate and then incite your base to break the law. 

In other alarming news: A GOP office in Hillsborough, North Carolina was firebombed. 

Holy shit.  The fact that this election is drawing out fanatics, or, I'll say it: DOMESTIC TERRORISM is so so so scary.

The Orange Cheetoh has yet to say anything about domestic terrorism by white dudes, just brown ones. Strange that saying most acts of terrorism are caused by white men in this country is something that is controversial to his supporters.

So, when should I start making up the bed in our guest room?  I'm kidding, of course.  It's always made up!  

I wonder how this will go down in history. What will Trump's legacy be, if anything?  (Assuming he will not actually become President. That. Cannot. Happen.)

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Watching that I think he got the maddest about the bit where they declared Hills the president

Trump would not be able to even handle a presidential win. He would lose it seeing and reading all those political cartoons directed at a sitting president. He would start tweeting his fingers off and claiming he would shut down the papers.... of course totally ignoring that pesky First Amendment. 

33 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

Just FYI! I know a lot of you might know this, but it is ILLEGAL for anyone to intimidate you at the polls. Here's the quote in the U.S. Code:

"Whoever intimidates, threatens, coerces, or attempts to intimidate, threaten, or coerce, any other person for the purpose of interfering with the right of such other person to vote or to vote as he may choose, or of causing such other person to vote for, or not to vote for, any candidate for the office of President, Vice President, Presidential elector, Member of the Senate, Member of the House of Representatives, Delegate from the District of Columbia, or Resident Commissioner, at any election held solely or in part for the purpose of electing such candidate, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both."

Poll Watches can watch you, but nothing more. If they touch you, threaten you, ask for ID, ask for whom you are voting, try to talk you out of voting, or anything else that can be construed as intimidation, call 911, talk to a recognized Election Official, or contact a civil rights group or lawyer. And please do NOT leave the polling place until you have voted! Stay on the phone, put the phone on speaker so others can hear.

I'm a pollworker in California but I think these rules are nationwide just as Sophie mentioned above:  there is no electioneering permitted within 100 feet of the polling place.  That means no promoting or advertising or pressuring people how to vote.  It is also not ok to wear any partisan buttons or shirts etc (I assume this is also true for ballot propositions, though I'm not 100% positive).

Pollwatchers are welcome but they may not pressure or interfere in any way.

Also, re the post above where someone said "just say you are a Republican" -- we are required to post our voter roster outside the voting building.  It lists all the voters in our precinct, including their party affiliation!  I don't understand this rule.  We mark the indexes by numbering people who come to vote (ie first voter at 7am is #1, everyone else is sequential after that) and I suspect the purpose of posting the index publicly is so that people can know who has voted -- but I don't really understand why that is important to be public information, and why people's party registration is ok to be public information right there.  Anyone have a better understanding of this?

3 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

Holy shit.  The fact that this election is drawing out fanatics, or, I'll say it: DOMESTIC TERRORISM is so so so scary.

The Orange Cheetoh has yet to say anything about domestic terrorism by white dudes, just brown ones. Strange that saying most acts of terrorism are caused by white men in this country is something that is controversial to his supporters.

Scary stuff. They left a message saying, "Nazi Republicans get out of town or else."

Of course in usual fashion, Donald tweeted: "Animals representing Hillary Clinton and Dems in North Carolina just firebombed our office in Orange County because we are winning @NCGOP." THAT WAS HIS FIRST TWEET ON THE SUBJECT! It as not wishing them well or anything, just using a scary tragedy to throw more inaccurate boulders. No, it was not a Donald Trump office. It was a GOP office, your know, the same GOP Trump declared he did not need a few days back. Sick piece of crap. 

Of course, Trump might want to walk that back. It has been his supporters using the same language toward the press at his rallies and Hillary supporters. More likely one of his supporters. 

@church_of_dogSo are you saying that as I go into the booth the observers know if I am a registered Democrat or Republican?

I really do not understand how it works in the US. In the UK, you turn up with the card you have been mailed to show that you can vote, go in, vote, and IF YOU WISH, answer the folks outside who ask which way you voted. We do not register with a party for voting - I was a Labour  Party member for years, but no one at the poll knew that. The privacy of your vote is sacrosanct - the Chartists started fighting for it in 1848!

The idea that random party members - of either side - should have an idea of how I vote is......offensive? Undemocratic?A possible  way to try and influence and/or intimidate me when I vote?

Sorry, anathema!

29 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

So, when should I start making up the bed in our guest room?  I'm kidding, of course.  It's always made up!  

I wonder how this will go down in history. What will Trump's legacy be, if anything?  (Assuming he will not actually become President. That. Cannot. Happen.)

If he wins, I'm coming over.

It's weird. If you ladies remember the last round of elections, though I rarely talked at the time, I *SEVERELY* disliked Mittens. I watched the goings on with second husband, while on the phone with mister destiny and we were all biting our nails that he wouldn't win. That said, I wasn't terrified like I am with Trump. Nor did I start caring about who the republican nominee was 15 months before the fucking election. I'm scared shitless that he might win, and also fucking LIVID that I care this much more than about 6 weeks before the election.

These are strange times.

24 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Also, re the post above where someone said "just say you are a Republican" -- we are required to post our voter roster outside the voting building.  It lists all the voters in our precinct, including their party affiliation!

What the serious fuck? The north is weird! I've lived in 3 counties in California, and no one has posted such a roster here. That's super weird. What's the rationale for this? Does anyone out there know?

4 minutes ago, Destiny said:

What the serious fuck? The north is weird! I've lived in 3 counties in California, and no one has posted such a roster here. That's super weird. What's the rationale for this?

Huh.  I thought it was at least statewide that this happens.  I know we get three copies of the indexes, and the two that are inside the building with us get marked with each new voter, and then the one hanging outside gets updated or rotated every hour -- them's the rules as we were told!  None of us seem to understand the rationale though.  Fortunately I think it's rare that any of our voters notice it or bother to do more than glance at it as they walk in.  I think most people assume that their party affiliation is, if not private, at least not paraded around in public on election day, and the whether-or-not a specific person has voted yet seems to me like it ought to be private as well (IMO).  This election might be a perfect example of people deciding not to vote* and not needing everyone to have access to that information.

* I encourage everyone to vote, though, because all the propositions and local elections do matter.  Leave the problematic race empty if you are compelled to, but please still show up to vote for all the others...

Just now, church_of_dog said:

I think most people assume that their party affiliation is, if not private, at least not paraded around in public on election day, and the whether-or-not a specific person has voted yet seems to me like it ought to be private as well (IMO).

It should be. Not in the least because I'm in a deep red area in a deep red county, and I actually fear reprisals when trump loses California in November. There have already been threats on our town facebook forum to come over and "take care of" Hillary supporters. I vote offsite at prevoting, but still, my party affiliation (which is whatever decline to state is called these days) is no one's business but my own and whoever I decide to share it with.

2 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Huh.  I thought it was at least statewide that this happens.  I know we get three copies of the indexes, and the two that are inside the building with us get marked with each new voter, and then the one hanging outside gets updated or rotated every hour -- them's the rules as we were told!  None of us seem to understand the rationale though.  Fortunately I think it's rare that any of our voters notice it or bother to do more than glance at it as they walk in.  I think most people assume that their party affiliation is, if not private, at least not paraded around in public on election day, and the whether-or-not a specific person has voted yet seems to me like it ought to be private as well (IMO).  This election might be a perfect example of people deciding not to vote* and not needing everyone to have access to that information.

* I encourage everyone to vote, though, because all the propositions and local elections do matter.  Leave the problematic race empty if you are compelled to, but please still show up to vote for all the others...

Do you have private voting booths, though?  What's the point if it isn't private?  That seems very wrong!

I've been on one too many comments re articles about the election. I am about to explode!

Clinton's 33,000 emails are referenced constantly - what about the 22 million deleted by the GW Bush administration in defiance of the Presidential Records Act? Why aren't the Democrats even referring to this? It was ILLEGAL - but no enqiries, no questions, no mention.....

8 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

@church_of_dogI really do not understand how it works in the US. In the UK, you turn up with the card you have been mailed to show that you can vote, go in, vote, and IF YOU WISH, answer the folks outside who ask which way you voted. We do not register with a party for voting - I was a Labour  Party member for years, but no one at the poll knew that. The privacy of your vote is sacrosanct - the Chartists started fighting for it in 1848!

The idea that random party members - of either side - should have an idea of how I vote is......offensive? Undemocratic?A possible  way to try and influence and/or intimidate me when I vote?

Sorry, anathema!

How we vote IS sacrosanct and is not posted. The local poll workers don't even have access to this information.

You also do NOT have to register as Republican or Democrat (or Libertarian or Independent or Green party or whatever) to vote in the general election.

In some states you must be registered, for example, as Republican to vote in the Republican primary, etc.

I imagine that the post you read is saying that that particular location is posting a list of who has voted, along with their party registration (if they are registered with a particular party). I'm not particularly a fan of this, but -- it still doesn't say who voted for whom. People may not even vote for the candidate(s) from the party they are registered as.

Hope this helps explain.

10 minutes ago, Destiny said:

If he wins, I'm coming over.

It's weird. If you ladies remember the last round of elections, though I rarely talked at the time, I *SEVERELY* disliked Mittens. I watched the goings on with second husband, while on the phone with mister destiny and we were all biting our nails that he wouldn't win. That said, I wasn't terrified like I am with Trump. Nor did I start caring about who the republican nominee was 15 months before the fucking election. I'm scared shitless that he might win, and also fucking LIVID that I care this much more than about 6 weeks before the election.

These are strange times.

I feel the same way, and I know that a lot of non-Trump supporters are at least talking about leaving the country if he wins.  Meanwhile, I haven't heard or read about a single Trump supporter saying they'll leave if Hillary wins.  So who's the scarier candidate?

Just now, sawasdee said:

I've been on one too many comments re articles about the election. I am about to explode!

Clinton's 33,000 emails are referenced constantly - what about the 22 million deleted by the GW Bush administration in defiance of the Presidential Records Act? Why aren't the Democrats even referring to this? It was ILLEGAL - but no enqiries, no questions, no mention.....

Because, in general, the Democrats aren't usually the OMG SPECIAL COUNSEL types. Also, they haven't held the house for years. That's my thinking anyway.

They were both wrong and bad and should feel bad, and there's no excuse for Hillary's fuck up, but there was also no excuse for the Republican fuck up. I just want to move on from this email shit. Both the deleted emails and the Wikileaks shit that keeps coming out.

2 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Do you have private voting booths, though?  What's the point if it isn't private?  That seems very wrong!

Yes, voting booths are private. (See my other post...)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived