IGNORED

Going through the Maxwell archive and found this gem

skankbiscuit

We stopped for the night in Williams, hoping to see the Grand Canyon today. But, after praying about it, Dad felt that we needed more time on a new session we’re trying to finish up. Dad has always encouraged us that ministry takes priority over the side items, such as sightseeing, so it was decided to not go to the Grand Canyon. Ministry is more important! So, work is being done on the session, and we’ll be driving to Needles, California, tonight.

RV parks are not quite like hotels, and we are well below the average age. The mornings are quiet, and we enjoy talking to anyone who is out taking a leisurely stroll. I thought you might enjoy a few pictures from this morning. It’s a stunningly gorgeous morning!

SO MAD that Steve didn't let them see the Grand Canyon and made them work! :x

Wasn't the Grand Canyon one of God's wonders of the world? Ministry comes ahead of visiting one of God's greatest creations? I am so glad I'm not a Maxwell. :happy-jumpeveryone:

I so wish Sarah would run away but I just don't think it will ever happen.

Nell

Guest Anonymous
We stopped for the night in Williams, hoping to see the Grand Canyon today. But, after praying about it, Dad felt that we needed more time on a new session we’re trying to finish up. Dad has always encouraged us that ministry takes priority over the side items, such as sightseeing, so it was decided to not go to the Grand Canyon. Ministry is more important! So, work is being done on the session, and we’ll be driving to Needles, California, tonight.

RV parks are not quite like hotels, and we are well below the average age. The mornings are quiet, and we enjoy talking to anyone who is out taking a leisurely stroll. I thought you might enjoy a few pictures from this morning. It’s a stunningly gorgeous morning!

SO MAD that Steve didn't let them see the Grand Canyon and made them work! :x

Fuck you, Steve and that goes double for your ministry.

Dad has always encouraged us that ministry takes priority over the side items, such as sightseeing, so it was decided to not go to the Grand Canyon.

I love that Sarah uses the passive voice to hide the fact that Steve decided against the trip. I also love that she completely misuses the word "encourage" -- both in syntax and meaning -- to convey a positive image of him.

Wasn't the Grand Canyon one of God's wonders of the world? Ministry comes ahead of visiting one of God's greatest creations? I am so glad I'm not a Maxwell. :happy-jumpeveryone:

Nell

I'm 100% secular, but I once took a trip with a group, a guy whom I shall call Mr. Uptight was driving and wanted to pass by the St. Louis Arch on the way to a vacation because "we were running late." Running late for WHAT?? We're all on VACATION, from very far away, the thing is next to the road, and just going to walk by it and take some pictures is not going to take much time!

I put up a fuss and won that battle :) Later on Mr. Uptight actually apologized for being so... uptight.

I have traveled a lot since I was kid, usually with tourist groups, and I always take every possible excursion available (unless multiple ones overlap and I have to choose one or the other). The way I see it, I can sleep or rest any time, but I'll probably only get one or a few chances to do this particular thing in this particular place. I don't know how far away they live from the Grand Canyon, but I'm over here on the East Coast and if I went all the way to Arizona, I definitely see the most famous natural wonder!

I don't know what kind of "ministry project" they had, but it probably could have been done just as easily a week later when they got home. This sounds like a sadistic control-freak dad who is testing his family's obedience and loyalty to him.

Guest Anonymous

Steve was probably afraid that if he stood too close to the edge, his wife and one or more of the kids would find the temptation impossible to resist.

Answers the question: What does Steve Maxwell have in common with Kate Gosslin?

(she sent 2 of her kids to sit in the RV as punishment for a minor infraction - so they didn't get to see the Canyon with the family)

This still all comes down to control. I'm sure he knew how badly his family wanted to see the Grand Canyon, so what better way to assert your control and deny them that. I think he takes pleasure in doing things like that. He's an ass.

God, Steve Maxwell sucks. Period. End of story.

God made the Grand Canyon. He also made it the experience that it is.

I've seen the Grand Canyon five times. It has never failed to amaze me; dumbfound me, inspire me, confuse the hell out of me. But, I am a heathen non-believer and I was totally selfish to take the time I had in the presence of one of the most impressive natural wonders of the world and I chose to SEE it rather than sit in a corner and pray to the god who made it to make ME worthy.

It's there. I'm alive. Walk away from the experience, even when it's the fifth freaking time you've been there, or...lose out.

Steve chooses to LOSE OUT.

If his family saw the beauty of the Grand Canyon they might question Steve's version of god and the world. He couldn't have that. He couldn't have his kids basking in the glory of god's work / creation. They might think god is bigger than their father and he can't have that.

Completely OT, but I wanted to add that when you fly from Denver to Las Vegas you fly directly over the Grand Canyon for quite awhile and it is the most awe inspiring sight imaginable! Seeing it from above like that you see how big it actually is and it's amazing.

I shall go into the prayer closet now to repent for how many times I've been to Vegas in the last 10 years......

I was driving through Iowa a few years ago and saw a sign for The Little Brown Church in the Vale. I never knew there was a real church by that name. In 7th grade music class (in New York) we learned that song. I had to get to my destination but instead of praying about whether I should stop or not I made the decision if I didn't stop then I might not get that way again. I was glad I stopped. It's a tiny church in a pretty setting. Lots of weddings take place in the church, there's a long waiting list. Obviously only small weddings can be held there because the church doesn't hold very many people. I was glad I'd stopped.

Steve should have taken the time to visit the Grand Canyon, what a miser!

Nell

Nell

I think Steve realized that it would be really hard to explain to his family how the enormous wonder that is the GC is only 6000 years old. Typical con man move; when you can't get yourself out of a scrape, DIVERT! Or in his case, brainwash...errr...pray about going to historic, scenic Needles instead.

/sarcasm off

Completely OT, but I wanted to add that when you fly from Denver to Las Vegas you fly directly over the Grand Canyon for quite awhile and it is the most awe inspiring sight imaginable! Seeing it from above like that you see how big it actually is and it's amazing.

I shall go into the prayer closet now to repent for how many times I've been to Vegas in the last 10 years......

YES. Not only the Grand Canyon itself either, but you can see how it's part of a sort of giant staircase of levels in that area of the country. Pretty damn cool.

Our hearts were deeply burdened for several families who shared challenges they were facing such as losing a child to the world. There is no doubt that the Lord sent us specifically to Wisconsin for several reasons. We were thrilled to be used of the Lord Jesus, and we pray He brings lasting fruit into the lives of those who attended.

Self important much, Maxwells? Hooray for those kids who were "lost to the world". I am certain they are much happier.

Our hearts were deeply burdened for several families who shared challenges they were facing such as losing a child to the world. There is no doubt that the Lord sent us specifically to Wisconsin for several reasons. We were thrilled to be used of the Lord Jesus, and we pray He brings lasting fruit into the lives of those who attended.

Doncha hate it when your children get lost to the world? :angry-screaming:

It's all that beer in Wisconsin that does it.

My daughter moved to Wisconsin but I try not to hold it against her.

Nell

Self important much, Maxwells? Hooray for those kids who were "lost to the world". I am certain they are much happier.

You know, "losing a child to the world" in Maxwellese could actually mean something like, "skeevy meth head" or (more likely) "went to college, graduated Phi Beta Kappa, got married, has a couple of kids and goes to the Episcopal church." It's so hard to tell with these people.

Guest Anonymous

Can the Maxwells go anywhere without pestering the elderly?

My secret hope is that the Maxwells will finally get to the Grand Canyon and while Steve is leaning over the rail, an "Elderly" in an electric scooter will roll up and trip him.

I read somewhere once since they have so many kids they expect 2 or 3 to be lost to the world anyway...As Michelle said when she was asked the question about her children choosing not to follow the family believe system "It's their (the kids) loss" and gave a little shrug.

I read somewhere once since they have so many kids they expect 2 or 3 to be lost to the world anyway...

And what about being gay? Surely in a family of 19 kids at least one will be gay. Every large Catholic family I know, where the kids number from 6 to 12, at least one child was gay. I can't see any of these fundie families embracing their gay kids.

Nell

Archived