IGNORED

why evangelicals are drawn to MLM (article)

19 cats and counting

Saw this on the road today and thought of y'all and this thread. For the record I wasn't driving and we were stopped at a light when I took this...safety first!

(Yes it's a pale pink, the color may not have come out well from the car in bright sun.)

image.jpeg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have several friends that are Facebook only, due to geographical distance, that I've unfollowed.

I kept them as friends, since I wasn't ready to burn that bridge yet, but I was sick and tired of seeing 5-10 posts a day (each) about Younique, Monat, and ItWorks!

The friend that is pushing Younique and Monat is CONTSTANTLY posting pics of herself extolling the virtues of the product, photos in which she looks absolutely dreadful!

But it's hard to just come out and tell someone that they look awful in a photo, and even if I was interested in one of those products, the photos she's posting would turn me away.

It seems like I've always known at least a few people who were into 1 MLM or another, but recently it seems to have exploded. It's huge in the homeschool community here and I've gotten more than a few recruiting pitches from friends that go along the lines of, "You can stay home with your kids and still earn some money for vacations and nice extras for the family..."  And yes, I know people from high school grads to folks with advanced degrees who fall for the MLM lines.  Since some are people I know well, I do understand what drives them.  It's tempting to think that you can have more family time and ditch the commute/office routine (this area has godawful traffic so people tend to leave early for work and get home late), but still keep your household financially solvent. However, that being said, I could do without the endless Plexus/Lularoe/Young Living/Usborne/etc... sales pitches in my social media feeds.

MLM is so annoying. I've been roped into attending two parties before, one sold really tacky home decor. I looked and looked through the catalog to find a single thing I liked at all and came up empty, so I ordered some stupid lamp, that turned out to be about 6 inches tall and even tackier than it looked in the picture. I threw it out the second I got it. And I usually have a hard time throwing things away.

The other party was for adult products, so that was kind of fun, just because you get to sit around and giggle about sex toys. The only other kind of MLM party that seems like it would be at all fun is one I've heard of that sells wine, so it's basically a wine-tasting party. But fundies wouldn't be able to do either one of those ones! So they're stuck with snake oil and shitty decor or whatever.

On 26 May 2016 at 1:36 AM, Marian the Librarian said:

The Reins SAHDs are big into Plexus - their FB pages are full of it. Who knew, it cures everything from cancer to Lyme disease to thinning hair!! 

Wow who knew that a cure for my Lyme disease was so easy to get hold of! I wonder how my GP doesn't know about it (sarcasm)!!!!!!!!!

I have a friend who sells Scentsy (which I do love the warmers, they have the cutest ones I've seen) and she asks me every month if I have an order. Every month I say NO because I currently have no income, which she knows!

And Scentsy is super expensive....I like the idea but dang...I am pretty sure they have to maintain a minimum order of 500 a month to keep being a consultant, could be why a kids backpack is 45????

I think MLM is what door to door selling was for our grandparents. As others have mentioned, social media makes it relatively easy to advertise a product to a large group of people, without having to expose yourself to the scorn and possible violence inherent in knocking on a stranger's door. The problem is what do you do when you've told all your social media followers about your great product and you still have no or very few takers? MLM requires constant recruiting, and even people with large social media networks will run out of followers. This is where social networks in religious organizations come in handy, because members probably feel like other members are inherently trustworthy and virtuous, and may feel compelled to buy from a MLM in a way that they wouldn't for an acquaintance from work or the gym.

The one thought I had about the girl I went to high school who's a teacher is how privileged it all is. All she would talk about is financial freedom and how she wants EVERYONE to have financial freedom and EVERYONE could have financial freedom and quit their jobs that they hate if they just shacked up with her in this company. That was what her whole shtick was about. "Why keep working at a job you hate working hours that aren't conducive to LIVING if you could just be financially free? You deserve to live the life you love! Message me if you want to know how and I'll tell you about the wonders of LIVING."

But... that's now how the economy works? We NEED teachers just like we NEED the janitorial staff and we NEED sanitation workers and we NEED people who wait tables and cook the food and all that.

Who would wait on her in the fancy restaurants she goes to if they were all in her company? So then that of course means to me that she doesn't expect EVERYONE to do that, just the people she thinks are worthy of it. And who are those people?

She's also a republican to the max, so I KNOW she doesn't mean single mothers on food stamps or homeless people or people trying to work 3 jobs to stay afloat. She means people like her deserve it.

My biggest concern about MLMs is I don't see how most of them have staying power forever. So you have to have a back up... you can't depend on that company to support you for the rest of your life unless you are good about saving and investing. Which you can honestly only really do that once you get to the higher levels. So once that company folds/is no longer popular what are you going to do? 

There's one in particular that irks me. Sadly I like their products but they will not say what their business name is unless you  PM them. They talk about "Dreaming Big and Living Free"... I typically don't even see them talk about the products really... 

I feel like Mary Kay and Pampered Chef are two that aren't really MLMs like the others are... I think I'd throw tupperware in there too honestly. They have proven their products are good over the years. I don't see those consultants doing the same tactics that every other MLM seems to do. 

I think there are some MLM companies that are shadier than others.  Some, I feel, have legitimately good, albeit over-priced products (ie, Tupperware, Epicure Selections, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Norwex, Usborne, etc).  

But then there are the companies that sell "health" products (like Plexus and Young Living).  I feel like those are seriously scammy.   There is just no way that their consultants have the needed education to be making the health claims they make.  And I just feel that the whole system isn't regulated properly through the MLM model.  

All that being said, the whole "making money from home" schtick that they all use is BS.  The amount of effort needed to make a profit off of doing that kind of work far exceeds the amount of effort required by a regular job.  

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, technically, I am a rep for 3 different companies.  I signed up for the discount (since I already used some of the products and loved them) - and nothing more.  I had no illusions of making money, and I didn't want to try and sell things to people I know.  So, I don't do parties, and very few people know that I actually am technically a rep.  I make the minimum orders I need to stay active through my own purchases - and I do appreciate the 30% off that I get.

@sophie10130, you are so right about it being all very privileged.  The fact is, most of the things are so overpriced only the well-off middle class can afford to buy them.  And, that does tend to be who the vast majority of successful reps for these things are.  Well-off, middle-class women who are bored at home and want a hobby.    They then sell these things to their well-off, middle-class friends who are bored at home and basically want an excuse to have friends over, drink wine, and shop.  

So I went to a street festival today.  There were no fewer than 5 MLM booths there (It works, Lilla Rose, Scentsy that I can remember).

Those Lilla Rose clips have been popping up on fundie blogs.  They were really cute but IMO not worth the money.  Then again I'm someone who buys hair clips at the dollar store and I'm not paying $20+ for one.

On 5/27/2016 at 0:47 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

I never really had a problem with MLM until social media came along.  Pre SM, I've bought from friends who've sold Avon and Mary Kay.  I never went to church as an adult (besides weddings and funerals) and am not a part of a community.

But SM has made it 1000 times worse.  It is to the point where my FB is inactive because every other post was MLM.  It is one thing to create a business page for your MLM and post that stuff FROM THERE, not your personal page.  But I want to see an update of your life, political rants (yes I like them), pics of your feline headships, etc.  I don't want to host a party or buy your shit.  If I wanted some of your shit I'd come to you.  Don't add me to MLM groups, tag me in photos, and send me invites to virtual sales parties.  Leave me alone.

I prefer to keep business and social relationships separate, and MLM blurs those lines.

FB needs to crack down on this and start suspending accounts for MLM spam.

That's how it has been for me. Growing up, my mom bought Avon, Tupperware and Watkins stuff rom friends, but those friends had other jobs, one friend was teacher's aide and there were times she made good side money selling Avon to other school employees.  When I was in college in the mid 2000s, I knew a few students who sold stuff and would post flyers around campus and they weren't pushy. Once people started using FB to promote MLM, it got annoying.  I have some friends on FB who aren't pushy about MLM, they post maybe once a month or when they have parties. Then there are the ones that post almost daily.

A few years back, a fundie lite high school classmate briefly got involved in Pre-Paid Legal, which Mormon murder victim Travis Alexander and killer Jodi Arias were involved in. She posted heavily about PPL for several months, saying it was helping her contribute to her wedding fiances and eventually she said she quit the company.

28 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

So I went to a street festival today.  There were no fewer than 5 MLM booths there (It works, Lilla Rose, Scentsy that I can remember).

Those Lilla Rose clips have been popping up on fundie blogs.  They were really cute but IMO not worth the money.  Then again I'm someone who buys hair clips at the dollar store and I'm not paying $20+ for one.

That may be my biggest pet peeve... I hate that festivals and farmers markets have been run over with MLM reps.  I would much rather see artsy, crafty, handmade stuff instead...

10 hours ago, treehugger said:

I think there are some MLM companies that are shadier than others.  Some, I feel, have legitimately good, albeit over-priced products (ie, Tupperware, Epicure Selections, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Norwex, Usborne, etc).  

But then there are the companies that sell "health" products (like Plexus and Young Living).  I feel like those are seriously scammy.   There is just no way that their consultants have the needed education to be making the health claims they make.  And I just feel that the whole system isn't regulated properly through the MLM model.  

All that being said, the whole "making money from home" schtick that they all use is BS.  The amount of effort needed to make a profit off of doing that kind of work far exceeds the amount of effort required by a regular job.  

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, technically, I am a rep for 3 different companies.  I signed up for the discount (since I already used some of the products and loved them) - and nothing more.  I had no illusions of making money, and I didn't want to try and sell things to people I know.  So, I don't do parties, and very few people know that I actually am technically a rep.  I make the minimum orders I need to stay active through my own purchases - and I do appreciate the 30% off that I get.

@sophie10130, you are so right about it being all very privileged.  The fact is, most of the things are so overpriced only the well-off middle class can afford to buy them.  And, that does tend to be who the vast majority of successful reps for these things are.  Well-off, middle-class women who are bored at home and want a hobby.    They then sell these things to their well-off, middle-class friends who are bored at home and basically want an excuse to have friends over, drink wine, and shop.  

Let me guess you are a rep for Pampered Chef, Norwex, and Usborne. I only say that because I have had FB friends use the same annoying tactics to throw Norwex and Pampered Chef down everybody's throats so I disagree with your comment about those 3 companies being "different".

10 hours ago, treehugger said:

That may be my biggest pet peeve... I hate that festivals and farmers markets have been run over with MLM reps.  I would much rather see artsy, crafty, handmade stuff instead...

This! So much this! I love festivals and markets and now I don't bother going because every second stall is some kind of MLM. I want vintage or handmade or quirky things damnit! If I need a rep of something, it's not hard to find one!

I am a home buyer for one but I do like their products. Having said that I don't sell to any one other than my mum or sister because they like the products too and we all split the discount. I refuse to do parties or any of that, tried it, and it didn't work. Haha.

My sister-in-law has joined and still continues to join every scam out there. Now it's almost comical because it's the same sales tactic every time, and no one is interested every time.

On 5/25/2016 at 4:11 PM, hoipolloi said:

Plexus seems to be a popular MLM, with everyone from Shoshanna Pearl Easling to one of the Wissman's peddling that crap.

Lisa Metzger, the self righteous anti-choice dimwit is into that too. I remember seeing a post on their Facebook page about wanting to buy a mobile ultrasound RV with the profits so they can pester more people in front of abortion clinics.

6 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Let me guess you are a rep for Pampered Chef, Norwex, and Usborne. I only say that because I have had FB friends use the same annoying tactics to throw Norwex and Pampered Chef down everybody's throats so I disagree with your comment about those 3 companies being "different".

I'm not, actually.  I am not going to say which companies I have a discount with, partly because TOU, but mostly because I just don't care.  Like I said, I have the discount for my own personal benefit - not to make a hard sell with friends and acquaintances. 

But I do want to clarify that I never said those companies were different because they didn't use high pressure sales tactics.  I said that they were different because they actually had a product that was overpriced but still good quality.  

ETA: Mostly, I was trying to clarify that not all people get involved in MLM just because of the huge pressure to join.  Some of us join because we actually like the product and want a discount, not to make money off of other people.  That does not mean that there aren't pain-in-the-ass consultants in all of the companies that are overbearing and pushy as hell.  

Also, my having a discount with several companies does not negate the fact that I hate product parties of any kind, and that I think most MLM's cross a line in their marketing, and that some of them are seriously scamming and I tend to eye most of them with great suspicion.  

And, I thought the initial article was very interesting.  It does sort of explain the massive growth of MLM companies within religious groups.  I think the SAHM movement doesn't help.  Too many women who are bored to death at home, and would have thrived with a career - but that isn't Godly.  Somehow, direct home sales don't classify as a career, so you get a lot of women who would have really enjoyed a career throwing themselves into these groups because that is all they have.  I think that can be where a lot of the high pressure sales tactics come into play.  

6 hours ago, ChairmanMeow said:

This! So much this! I love festivals and markets and now I don't bother going because every second stall is some kind of MLM. I want vintage or handmade or quirky things damnit! If I need a rep of something, it's not hard to find one!

I am a home buyer for one but I do like their products. Having said that I don't sell to any one other than my mum or sister because they like the products too and we all split the discount. I refuse to do parties or any of that, tried it, and it didn't work. Haha.

My sister-in-law has joined and still continues to join every scam out there. Now it's almost comical because it's the same sales tactic every time, and no one is interested every time.

And that makes it harder for people who MAKE things to find a decent craft fair -- because they tend to be at least half MLMs. And, unless those people who make things have a REALLY GOOD table (like, in view of the entrance), good customers walk in, immediately see the MLM tables instead of hand-crafter tables, and often leave. 

It's pretty rotten.

2 hours ago, treehugger said:

And, I thought the initial article was very interesting.  It does sort of explain the massive growth of MLM companies within religious groups.  I think the SAHM movement doesn't help.  Too many women who are bored to death at home, and would have thrived with a career - but that isn't Godly.  Somehow, direct home sales don't classify as a career, so you get a lot of women who would have really enjoyed a career throwing themselves into these groups because that is all they have.  I think that can be where a lot of the high pressure sales tactics come into play.  

Boredom and ennui among fundegelical SAHM is probably a major factor in the popularity of MOMs in that demographic. My mom was a SAHM, but she was extremely active in volunteering at my school, volunteering at the library, consultanting work for local politicians, etc. Fundie and fundie lite SAHMs can't do any of that. Many of them homeschool, so they can't volunteer at their kid's school, and I don't think that Christian schools need volunteers (at least, not in the sense of needing educated SAHMs to provide supplemental instruction and chaperones like the schools I attended did). Lacking the opportunities that secular SAHMs have to spice up their lives, all fundie SAHMs have are MLM schemes, which can full their desire to make their own money in a "godly" manner. I'd be curious if many of them make any money, since it would seem that only the first few women to sell a particular product at a church would be successful at it, since by the time they recruit all their friends, the church is saturated with women selling that exact same thing.

I think another huge appeal for the SAHM's in fundie and fundie-lite circles is that the MLM companies have a way of making their consultants feel very special.  There are trips you can win if you sell enough product, and there are people up the lines who are very willing to take eager reps under their wings and pamper them - so, I think perhaps, that might be a really big appeal for a SAHM with 7 children who is constantly overworked and under-appreciated at home.  In exchange for harassing their friends and acquaintances and shilling their products, they are rewarded with attention and small, little gifts - and their hard efforts are appreciated by women they admire.  

I really doubt that many of them make much money, but I do know that very few reps last for very long in once company, thanks to the minimum orders that need to be made.  But, I think for that short period of time that they are part of it, they do feel special and important.

I have been thinking about this way too much, but it does interest me a bit.  It also depresses me a bit, although I am not completely sure why yet.  

oh god, just last week I was invited by my uncle and aunt to a "private travel event" ... turned out to be a massively annoying pitch for World Ventures. "Make a living while living" "Fun, freedom, fulfillment" the brainwashing was just terribly done. One of the reps spent 20mins explaining the difference between a pyramid scheme and an MLM to me in an an attempt to wipe the sarcasm off my face. When I politely refused to entertain her anymore she said "well if you are not receptive, World Ventures doesnt want you anyway." 

On 30 May 2016 at 0:42 AM, Walking Cat Bed said:

And that makes it harder for people who MAKE things to find a decent craft fair -- because they tend to be at least half MLMs. And, unless those people who make things have a REALLY GOOD table (like, in view of the entrance), good customers walk in, immediately see the MLM tables instead of hand-crafter tables, and often leave. 

It's pretty rotten.

It is! The amount of times I've gone to "hand made" fairs and it's mostly MLM - grrrrrrr. I want to support people who make things! It's so frustrating for the customers, I can't begin to imagine how frustrating it is for the crafters.

20 hours ago, love2scrap said:

oh god, just last week I was invited by my uncle and aunt to a "private travel event" ... turned out to be a massively annoying pitch for World Ventures. "Make a living while living" "Fun, freedom, fulfillment" the brainwashing was just terribly done. One of the reps spent 20mins explaining the difference between a pyramid scheme and an MLM to me in an an attempt to wipe the sarcasm off my face. When I politely refused to entertain her anymore she said "well if you are not receptive, World Ventures doesnt want you anyway." 

And you should have said "Well Free Jinger does so there" and poked your tongue out :giggle:

Checking out free number for the first time in a while, and I find this!  MLM's are the bane of my existence, online and at fairs they have taken over everything!  A good friend has recently started selling Zija.  It's an interesting mix of pseudoscience and this...

As a scientist I will occasionally hear my colleagues say, "I don't believe in a higher power"

Please never say those words to me...not because I'm opposed to anyone's belief, including if their belief is defined within or without the walls of religion, or even if their belief is that they have no belief (ironic), but rather how irrational the statement "I don't believe in a higher power" is; at least to my logic.

When an individual says "I don't believe in a higher power" they are inferring, by default, that they are then the highest power. Which, in our limited scope of the universe, space, time and even the metaphysical is a very broad statement to make; but furthermore, is down right proven wrong by our own limited existence to that which we are exposed to on this tangible earth.  

When I walk around the streets I'm amazed at what we today perceive as common. I'm amazed because I could never create many of the things we see in our day to day lives. I drive my car every day, but I could never create one. I live in a house, but could never create one, I watch a television, but could never create one. I type on a computer, but I could never create one. Even if I could create those items, I could never assemble the materials that went into those items.

It is my daily exposure to the tangibles that makes me realize how much of a greater power is out there.  

Now, many of you may be thinking God didn't make those things, people did. How you define a higher power is personal, and not the focus of this post. However, you will see no one individual created anything, the individual who is credited with creating the car, the computer, the lights, is the person who was able to put the cherry on top. They may be the artist who painted the picture, but where would they be without the man who assembled the paint, the person who constructed the canvas, the teacher who inspired the artist, or the laws of nature that grew the trees that was used to  the wood for their brush.

A greater power exists, a power that can somehow assemble something higher from something that is lower.

Everything is built upon each others' works to something better, something higher. Whether we admit it or not, we are all living in a world that is assembled from something higher than ourselves.

I swear I've read this somewhere else. Anyway, I am kind of sad, because I have a feeling this will be the end of our friendship.  She keeps trying to sell me on this stuff, giving me free samples, and I don't think I can take the 'science' much longer without opening my big mouth.

I had to google Zija, sounds right up my SIL's alley. Herbalife and Isagenix are the most popular on my fb at the moment followed by Younique.

On May 29, 2016 at 0:42 PM, Walking Cat Bed said:

It's pretty rotten.

Years ago when my daughter was a toddler, I was part of a non-profit group raising funds to renovate our local playground. Our big fundraiser was an all-day fair in the park, which included vendors. Our literature strictly said CRAFTS, handmade by the vendor. Our contract said CRAFTS, handmade by the vendor. And then, on fair day, fully half of the vendors who came did not have CRAFTS. They had MLMs, they had your typical flea market junk, they had "crafts" what were handmade by shoeless orphans earning pennies a day halfway around the world. Basically they outright lied. Unfortunately, while we thought we had covered all our bases, the one thing we neglected to add to the contract was that if the vendor had misled us, they'd be booted from the fair and would forfeit their booth fee. So we had to allow them in because we would have lost half  the vendor fees, and it was a considerable chunk of money. The real crafters were the ones who suffered and we felt awful about it. 

We did confront a few of the lying liar vendors but basically they just gave us a big "fuck you." It put a big damper on an otherwise great day.

Archived