IGNORED

Atheist group to rip Bible pages in Huntington Beach pier

lilwriter85

Yeah, this is obnoxious. It reminds me of the kids in high school who thought they were being cool by taking one of the Gideon Bibles being handed out and then tearing them up or stepping on them or something. There are other ways to make a point.

I agree with you all mostly, except that I think Burn A Book Written By Ayn Rand Day should happen once a year. Closely followed the next month by Burn a Copy of To Train Up a Child Day.

Other than that, yeah, I hate book burning and tearing. And this whole thing is stupid.

It does seem odd to me that some atheist types seem to view the Bible just as literally as the fundies do. Yes, there's some seriously objectionable stuff in there. But it's very very old and was written by people in very very different cultures. It's a pile of historical (as in written by people way back in history, not as in "this actually happened") literature. And there's a surprising amount that still resonates with an awful lot of people these days.

Normally I have a lot more sympathy with atheists than otherwise, but not when they're determined to be flaming assholes.

It does seem odd to me that some atheist types seem to view the Bible just as literally as the fundies do. Yes, there's some seriously objectionable stuff in there. But it's very very old and was written by people in very very different cultures. It's a pile of historical (as in written by people way back in history, not as in "this actually happened") literature. And there's a surprising amount that still resonates with an awful lot of people these days.

Normally I have a lot more sympathy with atheists than otherwise, but not when they're determined to be flaming assholes.

Well, what parts should we not take literally? Because no matter what page you open to, there is a denomination or sect or a person who takes that part literally.

I hope they plan on recycling the paper they tear out of the Bible. I just hope they don't litter. Littering at the beach is a monumental peeve of mine.

For those of you who don't like book burning, what about books like To Train Up a Child? I'm seriously curious because I don't like the idea of nbook burning, but TTUAC needs to meet a bonfire, in my opinion. So, I'm torn, I guess.

I find this disrespectful. This is why sometimes I don't like talking to really intense atheists.

I am a real intense atheist, I wouldn never burn or tear up a book, no matter what.

This has nothing to do with respect, because I don't respect religious people because they are religious, au contraire. It is a matter of freedom of speech, religion, expression and a matter of being civilised.

It's the same kind of snooty, snide ugly as the Koran burning stuff. That was offensive, and so is this.

I guess they think it's ok because they *say* they're just "bringing a message, not desecrating Scripture"? Whatever. I'm sure the "pastor" who wanted to burn the Koran also doesn't agree with what's in it, and doesn't believe it's Holy Scripture. Does that make it OK for him to do, now?

Pretty much this. Personally, I think this is a huge waste of time and publicity, and all it's going to do is solidify a lot of negative opinions of atheists in the minds of people who hear about it. And even people who are ambivalent about atheists/atheism aren't likely to be impressed by this (not in a good way, anyway). Am I going to let it ruin my day? No. Do I still think it's a stupid, dickish thing to do? Yes, the same way burning the Quran was a stupid, dickish thing to do. It's the kind of thing that personifies all of the worst qualities of fundamentalism of any type: Jewish, Christian, Muslim... and Atheist.

The opposite of atheist is theist, and there's the same diversity of opinion in both groups. I don't recall people running round after 9/11 saying to atheists "I'm a theist and I apologise for the actions of my fellow theists. Most theists aren't like that at all, honest."

How much less then should atheists en masse feel the need to be concerned by a bunch of very strange people doing a very strange thing like ripping a Bible? People who say stuff like "I usually support atheists but not when they behave like this" need to consider how strange that statement actually is IMO.

Well, what parts should we not take literally? Because no matter what page you open to, there is a denomination or sect or a person who takes that part literally.

Pretty much not any of it, IMO. That's not to say it might not be useful and interesting for some people, but as far as "it happened this way because the Bible says so?" Nope. That's not going to fly with me for a second.

Wow, they're hypocrites.

How does that make them any different than those Fundamentalist Christians, going around, and claiming we're all going to go to Hell if we don't love Jesus?

THIS.

Also, it makes me mad because it's basically censorship. Even if people view the Bible as a work of literature rather than the Word of God. Instead of ripping out the pages as if they don't trust us to use our judgement (just like Opus Dei and fundies not trusting their kids' judgement and keeping them from reading certain things) , they should begin an education series talking about the offensive parts of the Bible.

And besides, the New Testament teachings pretty much supplants the OT laws. Sounds like they got that mixed up, too.

How much less then should atheists en masse feel the need to be concerned by a bunch of very strange people doing a very strange thing like ripping a Bible? People who say stuff like "I usually support atheists but not when they behave like this" need to consider how strange that statement actually is IMO.

It makes perfect sense if you interpret it as "I usually begrudgingly tolerate the presence of athiests who mostly keep their beliefs to themselves, but when they behave like this it makes me think I shouldn't bother to be tolerant of them at all." But if I were to say that I am usually ambivalent about people who claim to be Christians but reading about all the fundies here has made me dislike (or at least highly suspicious of) all Christians and I think that the non-fundie Christians should apologize for the existence of their fundie bretheren if they don't want to be lumped in the same group, I'd likely be raked over the coals.

As for the act itself, I think it's quite stupid but I don't find it offensive. I do not have a problem with burning of books in general, except for perhaps the wastefulness aspect of it. If someone wants to destroy their own personal property because they think they're making some sort of grand point by doing so, who cares? If this group's goal is to highlight parts of the Bible that it disagrees with, there are much more effective ways to do it. The only thing they're really accomplishing is prompting a lot of people to say, "See, I TOLD you that athiests are bad!" which we really don't need more of.

It makes perfect sense if you interpret it as "I usually begrudgingly tolerate the presence of athiests who mostly keep their beliefs to themselves, but when they behave like this it makes me think I shouldn't bother to be tolerant of them at all." But if I were to say that I am usually ambivalent about people who claim to be Christians but reading about all the fundies here has made me dislike (or at least highly suspicious of) all Christians and I think that the non-fundie Christians should apologize for the existence of their fundie bretheren if they don't want to be lumped in the same group, I'd likely be raked over the coals.

As for the act itself, I think it's quite stupid but I don't find it offensive. I do not have a problem with burning of books in general, except for perhaps the wastefulness aspect of it. If someone wants to destroy their own personal property because they think they're making some sort of grand point by doing so, who cares? If this group's goal is to highlight parts of the Bible that it disagrees with, there are much more effective ways to do it. The only thing they're really accomplishing is prompting a lot of people to say, "See, I TOLD you that athiests are bad!" which we really don't need more of.

I don't personally fine ripping out pages of the Bible offensive (in fact, I think irreverence is highly amusing), but I do think that this group is doing what they are doing specifically to offend people, and therefore I find the act itself offensive.

Archived