IGNORED

Counting On - Part 8: You've Seen Half this Show Before

choralcrusader8613

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It really drives me crazy when the Duggars and other "missionary" tourists act like going to visit children at the orphanage is a good deed.

It is not. It may make them feel good about themselves, but from a child development perspective it is highly damaging because the children experience intense but short-lived attachments to temporary adults while lacking a primary familial caregiver. This can further disrupt their attachment patterns and make it harder for them to form healthy bonds later in life.

Going to "love on some orphans" may seem sweet and innocent, but it is a photo op that can have really negative long-term ramifications for the children involved, especially if it is a repeated occurrence in their young lives.

Word. Go "love on" some pets at the animal shelter. These are fragile human beings who need more than just a damned photo op.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the next question is how long they plan on staying, is that the huge announcement?

Commercials: tlc promos, captain America civil war, the little clinic, thermospa, tlc promos

1 minute ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I don't think any of the Duggars really intend to adopt, they just keep bringing it up to drum up interest in their boring, aimless lives. There's no indication that the family isn't still full-on Gothard, which means they believe all the nonsense about adopted children carrying their biological parents' sins or whatever.

And in a blatant attempt to keep this dog-and-pony show going. We've hit peak Duggar when the scandals came out. Can't they just go away now?

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It really drives me crazy when the Duggars and other "missionary" tourists act like going to visit children at the orphanage is a good deed.

It is not. It may make them feel good about themselves, but from a child development perspective it is highly damaging because the children experience intense but short-lived attachments to temporary adults while lacking a primary familial caregiver. This can further disrupt their attachment patterns and make it harder for them to form healthy bonds later in life.

Going to "love on some orphans" may seem sweet and innocent, but it is a photo op that can have really negative long-term ramifications for the children involved, especially if it is a repeated occurrence in their young lives.

This is about secular voluntourism, but the criticisms are just as valid, perhaps even moreso, for religious/missionary voluntourism:

http://www.vivala.com/womens-issues/voluntourism-well-meaning-white-people/3942

I have many childhood memories in Nicaragua that include voluntourists and missionaries. I remember that they were really kind, almost too kind. When you grow up poor, you have a lot of street smarts and reading people comes second nature. It was like they were trying to make up for something. They really wanted us to like them, because they loved us — indiscriminately. It was the sort of love where they did not get our mailing addresses or phone numbers, because it was not about becoming lifelong friends. They loved being around me, it was something about my poverty, brownness, and how they felt like they were saving me. They loved that feeling.

It was as though in exchange for life-giving goods we had to give them a life-changing experience. We had to welcome them to our lands with our arms wide open, as though they were blameless as to how our country was in such distress. As if they did not inherit their comfort and safety from the presidents and governments that they had elected who had done this to us. They wanted us to say mil gracias to their smiling faces as if reparations were not due, deserved, and rightfully ours.

We have always been able to see right through this facade. Since I was five years old I saw right through it. I probably did not have the words as a kid, but I knew you were trying to get something out of me. I do not have fond memories of the Beckys and Chads who came to my country and took pictures with me so that they could hang the photos in their dorm rooms and go on with their lives.

Those same Beckys did not stand up against Trump’s xenophobic agenda. The Chads stayed silent during that Cinco de Mayo party that their roommates hosted, perpetuating problematic stereotypes about ALL Latinxs. The Beckys know that NAFTA and CAFTA rulings keep kids like me in poverty, but still shop at stores known for using slave labor and sweatshops. 

Those Chads and Beckys have never done anything for me. When they're asked why they went to my country, they probably said that they wanted to help, but after they were done planting the trees that their church donated, they went home and did nothing besides wear our trajes tipicos.

Apparently it was the, "We are going to kind of sort of really consider getting into a position to adopt at some unspecified future time." :roll:

Fail.

Jill says they might come back in five months - to jessa and then she and Derick say they don't know 

does that count ?

No freaking announcement 

they plan to expand 

OMG 

Really Jessa? 5 months is a reeaaaallllyyy long time? How on earth would a Duggar survive college? 

So where is the announcement?? Life-changing announcement my foot. 

They announced a special interview with Jessa and Ben during this next show. Jessa must be expecting.

Well, that episode was utterly anti-climactic. I certainly wouldn't say that anything life-changing took place. 

Bless all y'all's gullible hearts for believing there ever was going to be an announcement.  TLC is the new King of Clickbait TV.

Where the hell is Jana's "I totally didn't see this coming" comment? Did it ever even show up?

Jill and Jessa - Al final , si Dios quiere que sea para siempre (part 5)

Derick leads them in prayer before dinner.  Its the last dinner before they leave.

Izzy plays with a puzzle.

Jinger explains they put together a photo book of times gone by and things shes missed.  

Joy says its for when she gets lonely

Jill - the past few months have been a whirlwind packing up and leaving and starting a new life in CA.

Flashback to them packing

Jill TH - derick and I both had it on our hearts for missions. We just didnt think it would be this early in our marriage

derick - we thought it would be easier to go sooner rather than later, before THE KIDS START SCHOOL

flashback to jill sidehugging michelle in the airport

Jill - its hard not to have that convenience of chilling on the couch

Jessa  - it was hard to see them go. We were walking through pregnancy together

jana - when I first heard they were moving.. danger... god...

Derick - being on the mission helped build our relationship.  Being here requires us to cling to eachother.

The j'kids walk out the the parking lot to say bye.

Jill - its hard to say goodbye because we're going to miss them a lot.  

Jill jokes about "accidentally losing their passports."

Jill (probably not knowing the mic was on, lifts spurge and says "I have milk, I can keep you, you wont miss your mommy!"

Jana - the trip was great getting to see J'derick and Izzy.  Its been great to catch up

Izzy kisses spurgie

Jill - its been great getting to meet spurgeon.  Im sure every time we have the opportunity we'll take careof that.

Jill and Jessa talk about seeing eachother in 5 months.  Not sure who is going where.

Jessa - its hard when you know you're not going to see these people for a long time.  I know they're where they are supposed to be, but still.

Derick - god has us serving on the mission here and we're taking it day by day, month by month, year by year

Joy - I'm not sure when we'll see them again.

Derick - we plan to expand our family.  We'll see.

Um, whats the life changing anything??? 

THE END

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived