IGNORED

R.I.P. Miss P

Palimpsest

No kidding. At the moment I have 3 incredibly smart dogs. The correct response is: "I'm so sorry." :)

I was very pleased with Miss P's food intake yesterday, but we had a new development last night that's worrying. She keeps falling over and struggles to get up. It's not like arthritis pain - more like she just can't control/feel her back legs. She has no neurological Dx. So far. :(

She has her rear harness on. Vet appt. this morning. We'll see.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not good news but it's not the end yet. It's neurological as I suspected.

Dogs can do well in wheelchairs and she is feeling better otherwise.

One day at a time.

It's not good news but it's not the end yet. It's neurological as I suspected.

Dogs can do well in wheelchairs and she is feeling better otherwise.

One day at a time.

(((Long-distance hugs to you both)))

Thanks. Hugs, rubs and scritches have been delivered and are greatly appreciated. Miss P. is improving steadily. I'm trying to persuade her that she doesn't need spoon feeding any more. She is pouting a bit but she is eating more on her own.

Sorry to have been so terse yesterday. We were/are still processing this latest thing. Poor Miss P.

We will do a consult with Epi-hound's neurologist sometime next week to find out what is going on and get an idea of the prognosis. I'm not sure which days he works. Our regular vet (also my friend) says she is "not a neurologist" :) and advises it.

It may be her arthritis impinging on her spinal cord, it could resolve and even improve with rest, or it could be something else. We can't give anti-inflamatories - kidneys again. For the same reason she is probably not a good candidate for surgery, even if we wanted to put her through it.

Disabled dogs can still have a good QOL with proper care and this is just another piece of the puzzle. She's not paralyzed, I suppose I should say "yet." Once we get her up she can walk with a hand on the rear harness handle to steady her and support her when she trips. She's tripping a lot.

Luckily we already have ramps, harnesses and slings because we had another dog with a progressively weakening rear a few years ago - idiopathic neuropathy. I usually refer to him as Gregory Peck in a dog suit and we failed fostering 101 with him. The sweet old boy decided he was in his forever home and we agreed.

If worst comes to worst we can always try a cart for her. BTW, when I was researching for Gregory Peck, I decided that the cadillac of doggy and other pet wheelchairs is Eddie's Wheels. Those carts are very sturdy, fantastic for active disabled pets, and the owners are lovely people too. They offered to refurbish and fit a used cart to Gregory (also a Therapy Dog) at a very reasonable price, but he never got to that stage. Mind you, there are a lot of less expensive choices out there. It's just that skinny leggy greys don't fit well into all of them.

Oh, well. Please continue to keep Miss P. in your thoughts. We have a lot of decisions to make.

Thanks. Hugs, rubs and scritches have been delivered and are greatly appreciated. Miss P. is improving steadily. I'm trying to persuade her that she doesn't need spoon feeding any more. She is pouting a bit but she is eating more on her own.

Sorry to have been so terse yesterday. We were/are still processing this latest thing. Poor Miss P.

We will do a consult with Epi-hound's neurologist sometime next week to find out what is going on and get an idea of the prognosis. I'm not sure which days he works. Our regular vet (also my friend) says she is "not a neurologist" :) and advises it.

It may be her arthritis impinging on her spinal cord, it could resolve and even improve with rest, or it could be something else. We can't give anti-inflamatories - kidneys again. For the same reason she is probably not a good candidate for surgery, even if we wanted to put her through it.

Disabled dogs can still have a good QOL with proper care and this is just another piece of the puzzle. She's not paralyzed, I suppose I should say "yet." Once we get her up she can walk with a hand on the rear harness handle to steady her and support her when she trips. She's tripping a lot.

Luckily we already have ramps, harnesses and slings because we had another dog with a progressively weakening rear a few years ago - idiopathic neuropathy. I usually refer to him as Gregory Peck in a dog suit and we failed fostering 101 with him. The sweet old boy decided he was in his forever home and we agreed.

If worst comes to worst we can always try a cart for her. BTW, when I was researching for Gregory Peck, I decided that the cadillac of doggy and other pet wheelchairs is Eddie's Wheels. Those carts are very sturdy, fantastic for active disabled pets, and the owners are lovely people too. They offered to refurbish and fit a used cart to Gregory (also a Therapy Dog) at a very reasonable price, but he never got to that stage. Mind you, there are a lot of less expensive choices out there. It's just that skinny leggy greys don't fit well into all of them.

Oh, well. Please continue to keep Miss P. in your thoughts. We have a lot of decisions to make.

Sending best wishes for you and Miss P, hugs your way and lots of ear scritches for Miss P and all your other fur babies

Love and speedy healing vibes to you and Miss P. I imagine Miss P stamping her feet while saying, this, when you attempt to give her meds. :lol:

Love and speedy healing vibes to you and Miss P. I imagine Miss P stamping her feet while saying, this, when you attempt to give her meds. :lol:

Thank you! :lol:

I really did laugh out loud because that is exactly Miss P!

Quick update for those still following:

Miss P. has an appt. with the neurologist tomorrow.

Good news: She decided this am that she can stand up by herself (no need for me to grab the Help 'Em Up rear harness and haul her onto her paws) and is walking with relatively little tripping. Now that is rare because once you lose sensation you don't often get it back - and I saw my vet pinch her rear toes hard on Saturday with no pain response. I wonder what the neurologist will say? Perhaps some temporary swelling has resolved? We still need an opinion. This could come back.

Also good news: She is eating by herself very reluctantly, she would vastly prefer breakfast in bed and hand-feeding.

I refuse to be played like a cheap violin by this dog. But she has me wrapped around her paw. :)

Quick update for those still following:

Miss P. has an appt. with the neurologist tomorrow.

Good news: She decided this am that she can stand up by herself (no need for me to grab the Help 'Em Up rear harness and haul her onto her paws) and is walking with relatively little tripping. Now that is rare because once you lose sensation you don't often get it back - and I saw my vet pinch her rear toes hard on Saturday with no pain response. I wonder what the neurologist will say? Perhaps some temporary swelling has resolved? We still need an opinion. This could come back.

Also good news: She is eating by herself very reluctantly, but she would vastly prefer breakfast in bed and hand-feeding.

I refuse to be played like a cheap violin by this dog, But she has me wrapped around her paw. :)

Wouldn't we all? :wink-kitty: I'm glad she is showing improvement.

Thank you, and thanks for asking about the appointment.

It went well, I suppose, although we still don't know what is causing the loss of mobility and back pain. It could be anything from a bulging disc to cancer but the neurologist advised against an MRI. Basically, he said that an MRI would find out the cause but as he wouldn't advise surgery given her age and other issues, why do one?

He recommended a short course of prednisone to see whether that would help (again balancing improved mobility with kidney issues), doubling the amount of Gabapentin, and we also have a 'scrip for another pain med (I should check the name) in case she needs it down the road.

It was actually very reassuring because the neurologist confirmed that we are in the right place with our decision-making. That made the visit worthwhile. He said to keep her comfortable and get ready to let her go when the time is right. He thinks we can keep her going with good quality of life for a while - if her kidneys don't fail again and her back and chronic arthritis in her hips don't get worse fast. The new pain is not lumbar sacral - it's further up her spine than we thought. Poor Miss P. She let out a scream when he manipulated her spine, but we had to take her in without her usual pain meds. :cry:

I was anxious going in because I did not want to feel pressured into getting MRIs and surgery just because it might fix her back, IYKWIM. I know my dog and I don't want to put her through that at this stage. Some surgeons don't look at the whole animal - just at the presenting problem - and reach for the knife. I should have known better than to be anxious because we already know this neurologist. He's at the top in his field, but he is also a very nice man and as concerned about Miss P's QOL as we are.

I'm probably not going to update this thread again until we have to make the very hard decision to let Miss P. fly free. It is rather painful to keep updating, although I really hope some of our experiences will help other pet owners. Please feel free to PM me if you are ever dealing with anything like this and think I can help in any way.

Miss P, who is actually doing very well at the moment, wants to leave you with this question:

Should she audition for a "Where's the beef?" commercial for Hill's (or other) yucky kidney diet prescription food?

OR

an "I've fallen and I can get up!" commercial for rear harnesses?

Keep the positive thoughts coming. I think you will all understand.

Thank you all so much for supporting us through this and making me belly laugh when I felt terrible.

I'm probably not going to update this thread again until we have to make the very hard decision to let Miss P. fly free. It is rather painful to keep updating, although I really hope some of our experiences will help other pet owners. Please feel free to PM me if you are ever dealing with anything like this and think I can help in any way.

Miss P, who is actually doing very well at the moment, wants to leave you with this thought:

Should she audition for a "Where's the beef?" commercial for Hill's (or other) yucky kidney diet prescription food?

OR

"I've fallen and I can get up!" commercial for rear harnesses?

Keep the positive thoughts coming. I think you will all understand.

Thank you all so much for supporting us through this and making me belly laugh when I felt terrible.

You brought a tear to my eye, Palimpsest. I am thinking of you and Miss P. She is a lucky little lady to be so loved.

Miss P, who is actually doing very well at the moment, wants to leave you with this question:

I vote for this, Lady P.

And for your mama - I wanted to share - when our Savannah was so sick (cat with kidney disease) I wanted so desperately for her to eat. (Like, I was getting up at 2 am to feed her.) The vet said eating was a higher priority than the yucky kidney disease food, so I went with "whatever she wants."

It turned into a bit of a smorgasbord. When she would turn up her nose at a can, I'd open another. And, sometimes, another.

The other kitties got rather fat and fluffy, and the vet was highly amused with the level of spoilage my Savvy girl got. (Like, he came in and there were five open cans of food scattered around on the floor for her dining pleasure.)

I wish you both much love, time together, and peace as you all move through this journey.

I just completed a journey like this with my old man of a cat. We are so lucky that we can help our pets in their twilight time so they don't have to suffer. Definitely sending positive thoughts to Miss P! She sounds like such a sweet girl.

Keeping both you and Miss P in my thoughts and sending positive energy in your direction. Because Miss P knows me as Bacon BEG I vote for "Where's the Beef?".

For Miss P - :bacon: and an ear rub.

For you Palimpsest a glass of wine and a hug.

I just found this thread. I'm sorry that dear Miss P has had a difficult time of it lately, and you along with her. I send my very best quality between the ear head rubs for her. I will keep my very best wishes and thoughts coming her way. Both of you can count on them from me.

My vote is for "Where's The Beef?"

• 7 months later...

Could you all raise a glass of your favorite beverage to toast the memory of my darling Miss P.  

To the Great Stuffie Heist, to her glorious Dance of Joy, to the gentleness and courage that made her an exceptional Therapy Dog who brought comfort and happiness to so many ... and to the memory of our sweet, stubborn, and beloved furry family member. 

She left us today very peacefully.  I'm glad we knew the right time to let her go but she will be much missed.

I train service, and breed therapy dogs - I know how much they mean to their  peoples.  Big big hug and Huge mug of Bud lifted to you, .

Archived