IGNORED

Phyllis Schlafly in food fight with Eagle Forum

hoipolloi

8 hours ago, louisa05 said:

OMG....

"YMCA" by the Village People is on the "Greatest Conservative Songs" list. Here is the reason for its inclusion: 

I can't stop laughing. Talk about living in a fundie cave. 

Um...isn't this song about having sex at the YMCA? :output_eeMbjt:

Oops. A couple of people have covered this upthread. Sorry.

But: Pearl Jam's "Dissident" is about: "About a woman who engages in liberal values by being impregnated out of wedlock and having an abortion, but immediately regrets doing so."

Um....Nope! There's nothing about abortion there. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

If only they had checked out the Wikipedia entry, they could have learned the meaning of the song straight from the band's mouth:

"In "Dissident", I'm actually talking about a woman who takes in someone who's being sought after by the authorities for political reasons. He's on the run, and she offers him a refuge. But she just can't handle the responsibility. She turns him in, then she has to live with the guilt and the realization that she's betrayed the one thing that gave her life meaning. It made her life difficult. It made her life hell. But it gave her a reason to be. But she couldn't hold on. She folded. That's the tragedy of the song."

And this is straight from Eddie Vedder.

I guess the whole "She nursed him there / over a night" means abortion. But wait: If she "nursed" the alleged baby (fetus?) how could she have then aborted it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Do these a-holes think things through?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@EyeQueue, the answer to your question is NO!

On the Best movies list, they had The Room.  Yes, that The Room!  

Lisa, you're tearing me apart!

I don't think anyone could consider The Room a good film.  Bad is what it is! A real stinker!!

The other day I was looking through a PDF of The Green Book for Negro Motorists after I'd seen an article about the guide in Smithsonian.  In many cities, the YMCA/YWCA was one of the few hotels that accepted African-American guests and in some places, the only hotel.  Btw, when the YWCA changed their policy to admit black women, the Athen, Georgia YWCA withdrew from the mother organization and became independent.  It was the YWCO in Athens, but I think they really needed to think about that "C" part. The head of the Catholic Center at UGA would not have anything to do with the YWCO, for that reason.  He didn't like it when groups had retreats there.

7 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@EyeQueue, the answer to your question is NO!

On the Best movies list, they had The Room.  Yes, that The Room!  

I don't think anyone could consider The Room a good film.  Bad is what it is! A real stinker!!

The other day I was looking through a PDF of The Green Book for Negro Motorists after I'd seen an article about the guide in Smithsonian.  In many cities, the YMCA/YWCA was one of the few hotels that accepted African-American guests and in some places, the only hotel.  Btw, when the YWCA changed their policy to admit black women, the Athen, Georgia YWCA withdrew from the mother organization and became independent.  It was the YWCO in Athens, but I think they really needed to think about that "C" part. The head of the Catholic Center at UGA would not have anything to do with the YWCO, for that reason.  He didn't like it when groups had retreats there.

Oh, God! They are selecting *THE* arguably worst film in film history as a good film?!?

And 1984? Guess he's forgetting that whole gettin' it on thing that Winston and Julia engage in. And they're not married. Horror! :naughty:

ETA: And LOL at their "Worst Liberal Movies." Check out their reason for including The China Syndrome here:

The movie depicts a meltdown of a fictional nuclear power plant. The film greatly over-hypes this risk of a nuclear accident/meltdown and the resultant damage. This film along with the Three Mile Island incident (which occurred shortly after the film's release) are often credited for killing the nuclear power industry in America.

So, the movie is bad because it "overhypes" the risk of something that REALLY happened just a couple of months afterwards (Three Mile Island, if I remember correctly, partially melted down). So much fail here it's unbelievable.

15 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead made the list. :laughing-jumpingpurple: Groundhog Day promotes Christianity? Have these people actually watched the movies? 

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is on the list! The kid lies to his parents and other authority figures constantly. Cameron steals his dad's car and wrecks it. All 3 of them strip down to their underwear and go swimming together, but it promotes abstinence since Ferris and Sloan weren't actively shown having sex :pb_confused: Plus it's conservative because BEN STEIN is in it...even though he's an unnaturally boring teacher that no one listens to.

This little tidbit from 1959's Pillow Talk:

A classic starring Rock Hudson and Doris Day in which conservative values triumph over liberal ones. There are no distortions by feminist ideology. Indeed, in one scene a leading man slaps the leading lady, but then is beaten up by dimwitted bystanders for it!

You heard it here folks, domestic abuse is a conservative value. And to hell with those DIMWITS who think women shouldn't be slapped, even in 1959 :roll: 

17 hours ago, Mercer said:

I'm a member at my local YMCA and one of the things I like best about it is that it's by far the most diverse (racially, economically, religiously, gender, age, etc.) recreational gathering place in town. 

Not sure if this is the case with the broader organization, but at our Y they don't really promote anything in their message that is specific to Christianity. They focus on values that are pretty universal like honesty, caring, respecting others, taking responsibility, etc.

Mine, too. Sometimes it feels a little too diverse, as they do a lot of outreach to dysfunctional populations, which occasionally results in some pretty gross things in the locker room. Sometimes the staff has to call the police to restore order, which probably doesn't happen at high-end Athletic Club down the street.

4 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

You heard it here folks, domestic abuse is a conservative value. And to hell with those DIMWITS who think women shouldn't be slapped, even in 1959 :roll: 

That explains a lot, actually. 

18 hours ago, Mercer said:

I'm a member at my local YMCA and one of the things I like best about it is that it's by far the most diverse (racially, economically, religiously, gender, age, etc.) recreational gathering place in town. 

Not sure if this is the case with the broader organization, but at our Y they don't really promote anything in their message that is specific to Christianity. They focus on values that are pretty universal like honesty, caring, respecting others, taking responsibility, etc.

The Y in my neighborhood has a small plaque that says something like "Remember what the C in YMCA stands for", but I've never noticed anything overtly Christian about it either. Obviously, the M in YMCA stands for men and that's no longer relevant as it's a coed facility. They opened in that location in 1927, so I suspect there are quite a few relics around the place.

The Lion King

A main message of the movie is honoring thy father, and the power-hungry main antagonist, once he becomes ruler, favors fascistic big government, pushes liberal values and destroys their territory.

I'm skimming this thread, but did anyone mention that My Own Private Idaho made the movie list?

Surely this is satire.

2 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

The Lion King

What "liberal values" was Scar trying to push on the pride? Higher taxation for infrastructure repairs? Universal healthcare? Public pre-K? The Lion King is a talking animal movie, but the animals largely behave like animals, and the pride isn't anything remotely like a human government or tribe. Do the Conservopedia authors know that the female lions in the pride do all the hunting (as is the case with real lions)? OMG, the Lion King promotes women working outside of the home!!!1111 Guess it's not so conservative after all.

On April 14, 2016 at 11:53 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

This is something I've never understood. Phyllis Schlafly has never had a traditional feminine job, from when she worked in a factory during WWII to her lengthy career as a lawyer and conservative activist. She obviously loves working, so why does she want to deny other women that?

She's making the sacrifice for us all, didn't you know.  She does this so that other women won't have to.  At least that is what she tells her self.  

This makes me wonder if Margaret Atwood based Serena Joy on Phyllis.

I really think that movie list has some satirical entries, though it's possible the site authors didn't know that and accepted the submissions because they hadn't seen the movies themselves.

For example, not only is The Room a terrible movie, but it's very misleadingly described. I don't recall alcoholism being a significant plot point (drug abuse is mentioned in one throwaway scene and never comes up again) and the description fails to mention that there are multiple uncomfortably (because they're so badly done) graphic sex scenes, quite a bit of profanity, and that a climactic scene involves a man essentially masturbating with his girlfriend's dress before shooting himself in the head. Yeah, very in line with conservative values indeed.

Just below that, Rosemary's Baby is described as "Higher powers intervene in this story of a young Catholic mother's devotion to her unborn infant." Sounds sweet, right? The problem is that the "higher power" involved is Satan and the young mother's devotion to her son results in her leaving behind her life and her sanity by apparently willingly joining the devil-worshiping cult so she can stay with him. I... suppose that's family values of a sort?

Pretty sure the site owners didn't vet the entries.

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

I really think that movie list has some satirical entries, though it's possible the site authors didn't know that and accepted the submissions because they hadn't seen the movies themselves.

For example, not only is The Room a terrible movie, but it's very misleadingly described. I don't recall alcoholism being a significant plot point (drug abuse is mentioned in one throwaway scene and never comes up again) and the description fails to mention that there are multiple uncomfortably (because they're so badly done) graphic sex scenes, quite a bit of profanity, and that a climactic scene involves a man essentially masturbating with his girlfriend's dress before shooting himself in the head. Yeah, very in line with conservative values indeed.

Just below that, Rosemary's Baby is described as "Higher powers intervene in this story of a young Catholic mother's devotion to her unborn infant." Sounds sweet, right? The problem is that the "higher power" involved is Satan and the young mother's devotion to her son results in her leaving behind her life and her sanity by apparently willingly joining the devil-worshiping cult so she can stay with him. I... supposed that's family values of a sort?

Is is possible that the entries are being written by anti-conservative trolls and the site managers are so anti-pop culture that they don't even realize they're being played for fools?

5 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Is is possible that the entries are being written by anti-conservative trolls and the site managers are so anti-pop culture that they don't even realize they're being played for fools?

I believe that's what's happening, yes.

Some of them like The Room may be arguable but there's no way someone who has seen Rosemary's Baby would consider that a legit description; it implies the complete opposite of what the movie is about and anyone who watched it based on that explanation would be in for quite a shock.

There are enough reasonably accurate entries that I think the site owners didn't notice a few joke ones being slipped in.

9 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@EyeQueue,  the release of The China Syndrome and the partial core meltdown at Three Mile Island were almost simultaneous.  The movie came out only 12 days before that "incident".

The China Syndrome

Thank you! So, the "overhyped" accident *really happened* in very short order immediately following the release of the movie.

But, no. The film is raving liberal propaganda. :roll:

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

<snip>

Just below that, Rosemary's Baby is described as "Higher powers intervene in this story of a young Catholic mother's devotion to her unborn infant." Sounds sweet, right? The problem is that the "higher power" involved is Satan and the young mother's devotion to her son results in her leaving behind her life and her sanity by apparently willingly joining the devil-worshiping cult so she can stay with him. I... suppose that's family values of a sort?

LOLOLOLOL!!!! Yes...that last image in the movie says it all.

Spoiler:

Spoiler

Rosemary taking care of her half-goat Satanic son, and smiling fondly at him. Those are some good, old-fashioned Christian values right there.

This is why I'm leaning toward trolls adding in some of these entries and their moderators are too damned stupid to realize this.

Conservapedia does suffer from troll infections. An article on a species of arboreal octopus managed to live there for some time before it was evicted.

But you can be absolutely sure something is a parody, only to find out that it was sanctioned or even started by the site owner.

On 4/15/2016 at 5:14 AM, EyeQueue said:

Oh, God! They are selecting *THE* arguably worst film in film history as a good film?!?

And 1984? Guess he's forgetting that whole gettin' it on thing that Winston and Julia engage in. And they're not married. Horror! :naughty:

ETA: And LOL at their "Worst Liberal Movies." Check out their reason for including The China Syndrome here:

So, the movie is bad because it "overhypes" the risk of something that REALLY happened just a couple of months afterwards (Three Mile Island, if I remember correctly, partially melted down). So much fail here it's unbelievable.

Not to mention Chernobyl and then Fukushima.

Also, they seriously put No Children on the Best Conservative Songs list? The whole point of the song is a couple that's trapped in a loveless marriage they feel obligated to stay in because they have no other options and figure they might as well just make each other miserable, and considering the fact that John Darnielle wrote an entire fucking album about the abuse he went through as a result of his parents' dysfunctional marriage/shitty stepdad, I highly, highly doubt that the reason for the couple's strife in the song is due to a lack of a band-aid baby for them to fight over and abuse.

Oh, Phyllis. She has a granddaughter (also named Phyllis -- I remember seeing her posts in the Princeton roommate search Facebook group under that name -- but in college, I believe she wisely started using her middle name or legally changed it) who was a classmate of two of my friends at Princeton. She's a daughter of the Conservapedia son and constantly parroted grandma's positions. She studied mechanical engineering, but after graduating, she moved home and started tutoring high school students (an acceptable home-based feminine pursuit). I've always wanted to feel a bit sorry for her, but never have been able to muster it. She's whip-smart, had access to and completed an undeniably well-rounded education, but chose not to take advantage of it. Don't get me wrong -- I don't think everyone who gets a degree has to use it, and I don't think every smart person has an obligation to contribute in a larger sense -- but I can't help but think it's a waste. She had access to choices most of the fundies we follow never will because so many of them are severely under-educated, but she chose to follow the party line.

7 minutes ago, withaj said:

Oh, Phyllis. She has a granddaughter (also named Phyllis -- I remember seeing her posts in the Princeton roommate search Facebook group under that name -- but in college, I believe she wisely started using her middle name or legally changed it) who was a classmate of two of my friends at Princeton. She's a daughter of the Conservapedia son and constantly parroted grandma's positions. She studied mechanical engineering, but after graduating, she moved home and started tutoring high school students (an acceptable home-based feminine pursuit). I've always wanted to feel a bit sorry for her, but never have been able to muster it. She's whip-smart, had access to and completed an undeniably well-rounded education, but chose not to take advantage of it. Don't get me wrong -- I don't think everyone who gets a degree has to use it, and I don't think every smart person has an obligation to contribute in a larger sense -- but I can't help but think it's a waste. She had access to choices most of the fundies we follow never will because so many of them are severely under-educated, but she chose to follow the party line.

It sounds like the Schlaflys have a family based cult as well to some extent, since everyone is expected to be a conservative activist of some kind. One of Phyllis's sons is gay, but is still super conservative and part of the family machine.

@Cleopatra7, I was wondering about the gay son. 

@paganbaby, that arboreal octopus is still making me smile this morning.  

Which is more impressive: an octopus that lives in the trees or Inky?   For those who haven't heard, Inky is an octopus that escaped from his enclosure at the New Zealand aquarium, made his way across the floor to a drain that led to Hawke's Bay, and did his Finding Nemo thing and escaped down the drain.  Inky, FTW!

15 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Some of these people were probably educated in Christian schools, though. Sadly enough, my experience teaching literature in a Christian school from A Beka curriculum tells me that these misinterpretations could be 100% serious. A few examples: 

*The theme of Eliot's Silas Marner is "sin will find you out". 

*The main point of Romeo & Juliet is that you should never lie to your parents because it will end badly. 

*The main idea of Robert Frost's "Death of a Hired Man" is that people need to have Christian homes. 

So, yeah, unfortunately, people could listen to these songs or watch these movies and seriously come to those conclusions about their meanings or intentions. 

On 4/14/2016 at 10:42 AM, Mothership said:

I had a friend with a daughter graduating that year!  As I recall, the students tried unsuccessfully to stop her speaking and when that didn't happen, when she was introduced at graduation, they stood up and turned their backs.

Found a report on the graduation

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for posting that. I couldn't remember the outcome. I just remembered that my friend and her classmates were members of Facebook groups that were against Schlafy being the speaker. My friend and her classmates posted status updates and asked St Louis residents to help with the boycott.

Archived