IGNORED

Phyllis Schlafly in food fight with Eagle Forum

hoipolloi

19 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

The Y in my neighborhood has a small plaque that says something like "Remember what the C in YMCA stands for", but I've never noticed anything overtly Christian about it either. Obviously, the M in YMCA stands for men and that's no longer relevant as it's a coed facility. They opened in that location in 1927, so I suspect there are quite a few relics around the place.

The "Y" in our small town was dying, so they re-invented themselves in the 60s, became "family oriented" -- as in, anyone was welcome, fitness classes for all ages you didn't have to be a member to join, conference rooms available to the public (I think Weight Watchers used one of the rooms, and so did AA, for meetings), heavily involved in the community, including some kind of arrangement with the high school to use "Y" facilities for sports classes and teams. They built a swimming pool and offered lessons for members and non-members alike (and I remember my brother going to the "Y" at 6 am every morning for high school swim team practice). It was the only public swimming pool in a 20 mile radius, which made it a popular place. (We had lakes to swim in, during the three or four warm months out of the year.)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ages ago, like 35 years or so, I joined a YMHA (Young Menʻs Hebrew Association) since it was the closest one to me in that large city. No religious "test" or questions to join, and it was clearly coed, all ages & ethnicities at that time. 

Unlike other institutions, the Y has rolled with the times.

On 4/14/2016 at 9:28 AM, paganbaby said:

The best Schlafly enterprise involves beer, but that was started by her nephew, not one of her own offspring.

Yeah I love Schafly Beer.  I was relieved to hear that even though ol Phyllis is related to Tom she has no role in the brewery.   I've been to the bottle works twice.  They had a special release beer last time I was there with my sister and brother in law that was pretty damn good.  I also had one of their stouts last time too and also a sample of the raspberry.  I want to go to the taproom sometime too.  Problem with St. Louis is that there's so many breweries to see and not quite enough time or free BAC to visit them all.

Tom, Phyllis, and her spawn all learned things go much better at family gatherings if they don't get in to politics at family gatherings.

IMG_7646.jpg

On 4/14/2016 at 2:27 PM, Kelsey said:

OMG. 

I have to laugh at some of those songs.  "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" is a conservative song?  Do they know it's sung by an openly and flamboyantly gay man?  I have to wonder if the artists here all wanted their songs interpreted this way.

I'm also sort of offended at the idea that patriotism, spirituality, and love of nature/landscape are somehow strictly conservative values.  Fuck the guys who wrote this list! 

OK, this is totally OT, but every time I see this topic, I think of this:

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:50 PM, 47of74 said:

Yeah I love Schafly Beer.  I was relieved to hear that even though ol Phyllis is related to Tom she has no role in the brewery.   I've been to the bottle works twice.  They had a special release beer last time I was there with my sister and brother in law that was pretty damn good.  I also had one of their stouts last time too and also a sample of the raspberry.  I want to go to the taproom sometime too.  Problem with St. Louis is that there's so many breweries to see and not quite enough time or free BAC to visit them all.

Tom, Phyllis, and her spawn all learned things go much better at family gatherings if they don't get in to politics at family gatherings.

IMG_7646.jpg

Another Schlafly drinker here. Worth noting that Phyllis is very against the brewery and is taking her nephew Tom to court over the name.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/who-owns-the-right-to-the-schlafly-name/article_7d33e934-03e3-530a-86e7-f4c7a3bcffd8.html

“In connection with its usage as a surname, it has the connotation of conservative values, which to millions of Americans (such as Baptists and Mormons) means abstinence from alcohol,” her filing with the trademark office states.

1 minute ago, formerlegalist said:

Another Schlafly drinker here. Worth noting that Phyllis is very against the brewery and is taking her nephew Tom to court over the name.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/who-owns-the-right-to-the-schlafly-name/article_7d33e934-03e3-530a-86e7-f4c7a3bcffd8.html

“In connection with its usage as a surname, it has the connotation of conservative values, which to millions of Americans (such as Baptists and Mormons) means abstinence from alcohol,” her filing with the trademark office states.

Could she even have a case here? It is her nephew's surname, too. Surely, he can use his own name regardless of her feelings or interests. 

How ridiculous! 

9 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Could she even have a case here? It is her nephew's surname, too. Surely, he can use his own name regardless of her feelings or interests. 

How ridiculous! 

According to an attorney cited in that article she thinks the brewery has a strong case;

stltoday.com/business/local/who-owns-the-right-to-the-schlafly-name/article_7d33e934-03e3-530a-86e7-f4c7a3bcffd8.html

Yvette Liebesman, an assistant professor of law at St. Louis University who teaches intellectual property law, said Schlafly beer has a strong case because the company has used the name in commerce for so long.

“The very first time they started selling beer from the tap, that is when they got rights to the mark,” she said. “They certainly have been around long enough to acquire a secondary meaning.”

To get the trademark, Schlafly beer must show its goods are not likely to be confused with goods sold by others, Liebesman said. Phyllis Schlafly “would have to prove that there’s a likelihood that people would confuse the two, and I think that’s going to be tough,” Liebesman said.

Yeah not much chance of me confusing the beer and that nasty person Phyllis or her demon spawn.

2 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

According to an attorney cited in that article she thinks the brewery has a strong case;

stltoday.com/business/local/who-owns-the-right-to-the-schlafly-name/article_7d33e934-03e3-530a-86e7-f4c7a3bcffd8.html

Yeah not much chance of me confusing the beer and that nasty person Phyllis or her demon spawn.

Andy Schlafly, a New Jersey attorney who grew up in the St. Louis area, is representing his mother in the trademark case

She hasn't got a prayer with that fool for a lawyer.

Just now, paganbaby said:

She hasn't got a prayer with that fool for a lawyer.

Brings to mind the old saying by Henry Kett, "I hesitate not to pronounce, that every man who is his own lawyer, has a fool for a client."

In this case Phyllis and Andy are both fools.  She has a fool as an attorney and he has a fool for a client.

Having read the full article now...

I'm not sure old Phyllis is as famous as she thinks she is. Outside of fundagelical and right wing political circles (and those circles overlap so heavily it might as well be one), I doubt that many people are familiar with her anymore. 

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

Brings to mind the old saying by Henry Kett, "I hesitate not to pronounce, that every man who is his own lawyer, has a fool for a client."

In this case Phyllis and Andy are both fools.  She has a fool as an attorney and he has a fool for a client.

I was thinking of that quote. To mangle a metaphor, they're fools of a feather.

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

Having read the full article now...

I'm not sure old Phyllis is as famous as she thinks she is. Outside of fundagelical and right wing political circles (and those circles overlap so heavily it might as well be one), I doubt that many people are familiar with her anymore. 

She was notorious back during the battles for the federal and state Equal Rights Amendments, but other than aging proponents like me who remember her with loathing, I'm sure even most of my contemporaries have forgotten her.

2 hours ago, paganbaby said:

I was thinking of that quote. To mangle a metaphor, they're fools of a feather.

She was notorious back during the battles for the federal and state Equal Rights Amendments, but other than aging proponents like me who remember her with loathing, I'm sure even most of my contemporaries have forgotten her.

True, I don't think I've heard or seen of her in the news lately.  Maybe she doesn't have the energy or desire to make more of an ass of herself than she has already, which is what it would take to stand out in the current frenzied media atmosphere.  It would take her saying a bunch of really batshit crazy stuff, I mean really crazy to the point that Michele Bachmann or Ann Coulter would be looking at her like wow, she's crazy, to get out in the news media.  Even then she would just probably rate a paragraph or two which would gloss over the fact that she set women's rights back 1,000 years.

And Question.  Would anyone here know why my iOS device keeps wanting to autocorrect Phyllis to Phallus?

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I remember there being a passing mention of her in my public high school history textbook about 10 years ago. It was in the extensive section on the feminist movement and only briefly mentioned that she started an anti-feminist group. 

22 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

And Question.  Would anyone here know why my iOS device keeps wanting to autocorrect Phyllis to Phallus?

Because it's trying to give you its opinion of her. 

Spoiler

Relevant scene from The Office:

I am aware of Phyllis's role during the ERA debate, but I doubt that many people younger than Baby Boomers are, other than those enmeshed in Christian Right Wing politics. 

I'm not sure I'd be familiar with her had I not had the bizarre experience of interviewing her for my high school newspaper many years ago. 

I agree with the above. I'm in my 40s and the only reason *I* know about her is because I read Wing Nut Daily for the snark and comedy gold possibilities, and Right Wing Watch, which frequently brings her stupidity up.

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

I'm not sure I'd be familiar with her had I not had the bizarre experience of interviewing her for my high school newspaper many years ago. 

That's a pretty wild assignment for a high school newspaper! I'm sure it was interesting! 

Archived