IGNORED

Phyllis Schlafly in food fight with Eagle Forum

hoipolloi

At 91, Phyllis Schlafly is still fighting but this time it's with the board of her own organization, Eagle Forum.

They are mad at her for endorsing Trump when they all prefer Ted Cruz, which should tell you something about these candidates' respective levels of crazy, not to mention their world views.

Phyllis has asked all of them to resign so Eagle Forum can follow its glorious mission:

We have many important fights to win -- from opposing abortion to defeating Common Core, stopping misguided efforts to convene a Constitutional Convention, and making sure that the platform of the Republican Party is a sound statement of conservative principles. The Chinese Communists are on the move as Europe falters under its misguided policies of trade and immigration. And we have a vacancy on the Supreme Court that we must not allow Obama to fill.

The mutineers include Schlafly's daughter Ann. For  you younger people here, Eagle Forum has a long history of being & supporting assholes of all kinds:

Eagle Forum, that anti-abortion, anti-immigrant, anti-tolerance, anti-feminist fun-club for the farthest right of the far-right, is in turmoil after six state organizational leaders—including Texas' Cathie Adams—are threatening to claw 91-year old conservative icon Phyllis Schlafly out of her own creation.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EyeQueue said:

scumbag schlafly.jpg

This is something I've never understood. Phyllis Schlafly has never had a traditional feminine job, from when she worked in a factory during WWII to her lengthy career as a lawyer and conservative activist. She obviously loves working, so why does she want to deny other women that?

Just now, Cleopatra7 said:

This is something I've never understood. Phyllis Schlafly has never had a traditional feminine job, from when she worked in a factory during WWII to her lengthy career as a lawyer and conservative activist. She obviously loves working, so why does she want to deny other women that?

She's a RL Serena Joy. But probably the more simple explanation is she's a damned hypocrite, just like many of the rest of the fundie mindset are.

I have a friend who once interviewed Phyllis Schlafly for an Australian radio show. He was rather appalled by her racism.

8 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Phyllis also has a graduate degree in Public Affairs from Harvard. 

One of her daughters is an attorney, the other a successful business woman who owns the Kitchen Conservatory (cooking lessons, kitchen supplies) in St. Louis. 

Hypocrisy or the arrogant ruling class schooling the serfs/underclass on their proper position in life? 

Right Wing Watch is keeping tabs on the kerfuffle. 

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/phyllis-schlafly-faces-ouster-attempt-following-trump-endorsement

I hadn't heard much about her daughter, but she has a son who makes her look almost rational. Andrew Schlafly runs Conservapedia, a site that caters to homeschooling parents who don't want their kids looking at the evil Wiki. One of their projects is to rewrite the Bible to root out all that liberal bias Jesus spouted:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Conservapedia_Bible_Project

The best Schlafly enterprise involves beer, but that was started by her nephew, not one of her own offspring.

One of my high school classmates attended Washington University in St Louis and still lives there. Some WashU students tried to keep from a speaking at commencement ceremony years ago. I can't remember the outcome.

12 hours ago, EyeQueue said:

She's a RL Serena Joy. But probably the more simple explanation is she's a damned hypocrite, just like many of the rest of the fundie mindset are.

Hypocrisy is a top republican value. It wasn't always, but it damn sure is now.

1 hour ago, paganbaby said:

I hadn't heard much about her daughter, but she has a son who makes her look almost rational. Andrew Schlafly runs Conservapedia, a site that caters to homeschooling parents who don't want their kids looking at the evil Wiki. One of their projects is to rewrite the Bible to root out all that liberal bias Jesus spouted:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Conservapedia_Bible_Project

The best Schlafly enterprise involves beer, but that was started by her nephew, not one of her own offspring.

I loooove conservapedia for the lulz. I didn't think anything could top their list of Greatest Conservative Songs until I came across Worst Liberal Songs. But they're missing so many! I should probably send them the contents of my ipod so they can make an update :pb_lol:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:Greatest_Conservative_Songs

http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:_Worst_Liberal_Songs 

Oh crap, I just discovered Greatest Conservative movies. Who knew that The Dark Knight was a Christian allegory?

http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:Greatest_Conservative_Movies

3 minutes ago, slickcat79 said:

I loooove conservapedia for the lulz. I didn't think anything could top their list of Greatest Conservative Songs until I came across Worst Liberal Songs. But they're missing so many! I should probably send them the contents of my ipod so they can make an update :pb_lol:

Get thee behind me! I should never have brought that site up. I fell down the Conservapedia rabbit hole via Rational Wiki a few years ago, and I really don't have the time to revisit all that crazy. I assumed that it had died, but a few clicks show me the paranoia continues. And they're still boasting that they were on the Colbert Report!

2 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

One of my high school classmates attended Washington University in St Louis and still lives there. Some WashU students tried to keep from a speaking at commencement ceremony years ago. I can't remember the outcome.

I had a friend with a daughter graduating that year!  As I recall, the students tried unsuccessfully to stop her speaking and when that didn't happen, when she was introduced at graduation, they stood up and turned their backs.

Found a report on the graduation

OMG....

"YMCA" by the Village People is on the "Greatest Conservative Songs" list. Here is the reason for its inclusion: 

"About the Young Men's Christian Organization. About pulling yourself up from your bootstraps with the help of Christianity."

I can't stop laughing. Talk about living in a fundie cave. 

7 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

OMG....

"YMCA" by the Village People is on the "Greatest Conservative Songs" list. Here is the reason for its inclusion: 

That cracks me up as much as the nondenominational (Gospel According to Me) churches who call themselves Champion Church, after "We Are the Champions".

22 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

OMG....

You can tell whoever wrote that doesn't listen to popular music, because the interpretations for many of the songs are completely wrong. YMCA is the most obvious example, but "Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes isn't about abstinence, it's about being patient and finding the right man. If anything, it tells women to be choosy and not settle with the first man who comes your way, which seems to be what a lot of conservatives believe. I also don't see why "Over the Rainbow" and "White Christmas" are "debatable whether conservative," since neither song strikes me as having political overtones at all.

Two things:

-I was dragged to a Phyllis Schlafly anti-abortion "debate" when I was a kid. I still remember that being one of the most boring things I've ever experienced. 

-This entry in the "Worst Liberal Songs" about LMFAO cracked me up at my desk : :pb_lol:

An ode to hedonism that encourages young people to abandon social responsibility: "Party rock is in the house tonight; everybody just have a good time." The song mocks Christianity (“I got that devilish flow -- no halo”) and promotes gambling (“Every day I’m shuffling”).

Also, the band's name is an obscene acronym.

2 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

Oh crap, I just discovered Greatest Conservative movies. Who knew that The Dark Knight was a Christian allegory?

OMG. 

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

You can tell whoever wrote that doesn't listen to popular music, because the interpretations for many of the songs are completely wrong. YMCA is the most obvious example, but "Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes isn't about abstinence, it's about being patient and finding the right man. If anything, it tells women to be choosy and not settle with the first man who comes your way, which seems to be what a lot of conservatives believe. I also don't see why "Over the Rainbow" and "White Christmas" are "debatable whether conservative," since neither song strikes me as having political overtones at all.

Clearly, the majority of songs included are completely misinterpreted or very loosely interpreted.

But given the right wing obsession with hating all things gay, the inclusion of "YMCA" has to be the funniest one, especially with that interpretation. 

5 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead made the list. :laughing-jumpingpurple: Groundhog Day promotes Christianity? Have these people actually watched the movies? 

5 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

Oh, holy cow. The cray...it burns! This shizz deserves its own thread.

5 hours ago, louisa05 said:

OMG....

Whaaaaattttt? That song is about being able to find gay sex at the Y! Before they became coed fitness centers, that's what they were best known for. Well, that, and cheap lodging for single men, service men on leave, and runaways. The pastor of the fundie church of my childhood was caught putting the moves on a young teenage boy at a YMCA about 100 miles from our town; it was quite the scandal.

I thought it was good enough that they listed Stand By Your Man, with the comment "Don't expect feminists to like that one! Or Hillary Clinton!" Isn't that exactly what Hillary did for many years?

37 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Whaaaaattttt? That song is about being able to find gay sex at the Y! Before they became coed fitness centers, that's what they were best known for. Well, that, and cheap lodging for single men, service men on leave, and runaways. The pastor of the fundie church of my childhood was caught putting the moves on a young teenage boy at a YMCA about 100 miles from our town; it was quite the scandal.

I thought it was good enough that they listed Stand By Your Man, with the comment "Don't expect feminists to like that one! Or Hillary Clinton!" Isn't that exactly what Hillary did for many years?

YMCA facilities were originally supposed to provide "wholesome Christian" lodging alternatives for young men who might otherwise end up in flophouses or brothels, as well as provide fitness equipment in keeping with their "muscular Christianity" focus. YWCAs were supposed to do the same for young women. At some point, YMCAs became known for being "safe" places for gay hook-ups, since they were single-sex facilities by default and no one would think it odd to have a bunch of guys just hanging around. As an aside, the YMCA movement in general seems to have become less evangelical and more holistic in its mission, which is a good thing from my perspective, since it means serving everyone in the community, rather than Christians in sex-segregated settings.

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

I read once that the line "You can hang out with all the boys" was originally written as "You can make out with all the boys."  And do they not know that "Stand By Your Man" was sung by a woman married five times?

58 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

As an aside, the YMCA movement in general seems to have become less evangelical and more holistic in its mission, which is a good thing from my perspective, since it means serving everyone in the community, rather than Christians in sex-segregated settings.

I'm a member at my local YMCA and one of the things I like best about it is that it's by far the most diverse (racially, economically, religiously, gender, age, etc.) recreational gathering place in town. 

Not sure if this is the case with the broader organization, but at our Y they don't really promote anything in their message that is specific to Christianity. They focus on values that are pretty universal like honesty, caring, respecting others, taking responsibility, etc.

Archived