IGNORED

Robert Jordan

ofDany

I've seen a lot of other sci-fi/fantasy authors discussed, but not Robert Jordan.  Anyone else ready his books?  Robert Jordan is one of my favorite authors of all time.  He is the master of foreshadowing, and everytime I've introduced someone to his books they have gotten just as addicted as me. I got into them when there were only 4 and waited impatiently throughout the years, rereading them all every time a new one came out.  After Brian Sanderson took over to finish the series I read his first two books, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read the final one.  I'm not sure if it's because that means the series is over, or if it's because I'm afraid of what happens to wrap everything up! Has anyone else ever felt this way about a book or an author or am I just really weird?

I tried the Wheel of Time a few years ago.  Couldn't get into it at the time, and later was worried about him ever finishing it.  I should try again, now that the series is complete.

Now, I have had a few series that I kind of haven't finished, because I don't want them to end.  Mainly a series called Dun Lady's Jess, by Doranna Durgin, and especially the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey.  I still haven't read the last chapter of Masterharper of Pern, although I sort of skimmed it to find out what happened.  Now, that's technically not the last book of the series, but it was the end of a pretty major story arc.  And, before she passed away, AM had her son co-writing with her, and he kept writing Pern books after she died.  I've read his books, but haven't been a big fan of his writing in the Pern universe.  The Pern books were on my short-list to buy new in hardback, but after he took over, they got bumped all the way down to "get the library's copy, and buy one if I find it at the library sales for under $1" level. 

Which reminds me, I need to see if he's written another Pern book.  Which means figuring out which ones I've read already, because he tends to tell the same story from different viewpoints, making the book descriptions hard to distinguish.

I've read up to Path of Daggers, and then I lost interest because it would take too long for the next book to come out, and then I would feel like I had to go back and re-read too much. I think he needed an editor, bigtime.

I was really into the Wheel of Time for many years, though. I was superduper into two different WoT based MUSHes for like 6 years in the 90s, and that's actually how I met my headship. :embarrassed:

@ofDany: I totally get what you're saying about not wanting to read the last book. I did the same thing when I recently marathoned through the entire Harry Potter series. I had to really work myself up to reading like the last 3 chapters of the last book because I didn't want it to end.

Now I feel like I should go back and re-read the WoT series so I can finally get to the end. There is some great storytelling and great characters in the series, for all that Jordan tended to get *really* long-winded.

I read the first three and got stuck in the fourth.  A friend of mine got stuck in the about the same place, IIRC.  I tried to start it again, but I need to re-read the Dark Tower books again first.  So many of Stephen King's works are related.  Right now, I'm reading Black House, which is part of the DT mythos.

6 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I read the first three and got stuck in the fourth.  A friend of mine got stuck in the about the same place, IIRC.  I tried to start it again, but I need to re-read the Dark Tower books again first.  So many of Stephen King's works are related.  Right now, I'm reading Black House, which is part of the DT mythos.

If I decide to read to the end of Jordan's saga, I'll definitely have to re-start.

And LOVED the Dark Tower series. I love how so many of his works are interconnected. I don't think I've read Black House, but The Talisman is one of my absolute favorites of all time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived