IGNORED

Bates Family Part 13: Like Lipstick on a Pig

Boogalou

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, doubleT said:

In the last episode at Bradley's first birthday party, Whitney said,"I need my mom & dad, Papa Bill and Grandma Jane and Gil and Kelly to come up front".     If the adopted parents were even invited, they weren't brought up front and given the gift of pictures of Bradley in his "I'm going to be a big brother shirt" and weren't included in Zach and Whitney thanking them for all their support and investment in their life and Bradley's.      

The whole episode was worth watching for two moments:  1) When Bradley ate his first bite of his birthday cake and then raised his hands and waved to the crowd  and 2)  seeing Bradley in the family picture where they announced baby #2.  He is the cutest little boy. 

And wow ... a whole Bateses subforum. 

Do we know what her mom and dad look like? if she just said 'mom and dad' it could've been her adopted parents that came up. I feel like it'd be weird if she didn't call them mom and dad...

2 hours ago, doubleT said:

In the last episode at Bradley's first birthday party, Whitney said,"I need my mom & dad, Papa Bill and Grandma Jane and Gil and Kelly to come up front". If the adopted parents were even invited, they weren't brought up front and given the gift of pictures of Bradley in his "I'm going to be a big brother shirt" and weren't included in Zach and Whitney thanking them for all their support and investment in their life and Bradley's.     

I think it's likely that they weren't there, but it is possible that they were there and being honored, but had asked not to be filmed for the show.

So it's definitely not the season finale next week, not sure how many more episodes they will have but it's certainly not next week.

I never knew that about Whitney's parents vs. adopted parents, I'm now interested - so those were Whitney's bio parents at the birthday?

Wait, I'm confused. I thought Whitney's biological parents died in a car crash of some kind and she was then adopted by the Owens family. Are her biological parents alive? 

Her bio parents are alive, and as far as I remember, she was taken away from them from abuse and or neglect. I could be wrong though.

Someone on here said the bio parents spoke to a blog or something and said Kelly and Gil insisted Whitney forgive them because Jesus, and the bio parents didn't want the adoptive ones around anymore so she sent them packing. I think they threw a shower for her when Bradley was born but that was the last we heard. 

I am hesitant to judge Whitney based on which set of parents she seems to have a better relationship. Realistically, we have no idea what her relationship is like with either set of parents. Nor much about either set of parents. We actually know very little about Whitney. Biological and adoptive parents can be great or horrible. We have no way of knowing which is which in this situation. 

3 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Her bio parents are alive, and as far as I remember, she was taken away from them from abuse and or neglect. I could be wrong though.

Someone on here said the bio parents spoke to a blog or something and said Kelly and Gil insisted Whitney forgive them because Jesus, and the bio parents didn't want the adoptive ones around anymore so she sent them packing. I think they threw a shower for her when Bradley was born but that was the last we heard. 

Nuts!!  Considering Kelly has adopted sisters insane that she would say someone like this. 

Whitney was adopted at like 16 or 17. It wasn't like she was raised by them her whole life. IIRC the Ownes (the adoptive family) had a bio daughter who died in a car crash. Because she was their only child, they took in foster kids and adopted them. When Whitney was 16 she started "having problems" and went to the adoptive dad's church (he was a preacher), he learned of her problems and he adopted her. Whether whitney was taken or it was a mutual adoption, I don't remember. 

Remember: this is what I recall from Kelly's blog, I have no sources to back this up, but I do know she was adopted at 15 or 16. 

This is also why she kept going back and forth between Whitney Perkins or Whitney Owens, because she was adopted at such an old (er) age

https://www.google.com/search?q=whitney+perkins+owens&rlz=1CAHPZV_enUS660US665&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=657&tbm=isch&imgil=HYnFGWyYvEIJSM%253A%253BuXF_lVn3lX4LbM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Ffamilybates.tumblr.com%25252Fpost%25252F118891078897%25252Fold-pictures-of-young-whitney-and-with-her&source=iu&pf=m&fir=HYnFGWyYvEIJSM%253A%252CuXF_lVn3lX4LbM%252C_&usg=__ZpH5TqxFG_Hue1g0SwO2ezuNtX4%3D&ved=0ahUKEwip2rzHjd3LAhWEPCYKHSLgAKQQyjcILQ&ei=Ktn1VqmdGIT5mAGiwIOgCg#imgrc=HYnFGWyYvEIJSM%3A

Pre Zach with bio parents

12 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

Whitney was adopted at like 16 or 17. It wasn't like she was raised by them her whole life. IIRC the Ownes (the adoptive family) had a bio daughter who died in a car crash. Because she was their only child, they took in foster kids and adopted them. When Whitney was 16 she started "having problems" and went to the adoptive dad's church (he was a preacher), he learned of her problems and he adopted her. Whether whitney was taken or it was a mutual adoption, I don't remember. 

Remember: this is what I recall from Kelly's blog, I have no sources to back this up, but I do know she was adopted at 15 or 16. 

This is also why she kept going back and forth between Whitney Perkins or Whitney Owens, because she was adopted at such an old (er) age

https://www.google.com/search?q=whitney+perkins+owens&rlz=1CAHPZV_enUS660US665&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=657&tbm=isch&imgil=HYnFGWyYvEIJSM%253A%253BuXF_lVn3lX4LbM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Ffamilybates.tumblr.com%25252Fpost%25252F118891078897%25252Fold-pictures-of-young-whitney-and-with-her&source=iu&pf=m&fir=HYnFGWyYvEIJSM%253A%252CuXF_lVn3lX4LbM%252C_&usg=__ZpH5TqxFG_Hue1g0SwO2ezuNtX4%3D&ved=0ahUKEwip2rzHjd3LAhWEPCYKHSLgAKQQyjcILQ&ei=Ktn1VqmdGIT5mAGiwIOgCg#imgrc=HYnFGWyYvEIJSM%3A

Pre Zach with bio parents

I wonder if the bio-parents were religious too, or if she just got into religion at the adoptive parents church, and were they very religious brain-washing tipe fundies or just your vanilla christians?

There have been no BUB sightings of her adoptive parents. Just her biological parents were present for Bradley's birth and they were the parents featured as "her parents" last night.  There was some regional TN forum that was mentioned here where posters had written about how she was abused and neglected by her bio parents, on the wrong (sinful) track, and then she was "adopted" by the parents we saw in their wedding.  Seemingly, they were loving and supportive parents to her; she had a job, went to school for medical billing, and met/fell in love with/married Zach all while estranged from her bio parents.

No one really knows what happened in terms of her reconciliation with the bio parents, and what looks like, her becoming estranged from her adoptive parents.  There's a lot of speculation, and especially with the whole Gothard hating adoption thing, but we really don't know what happened or why.  

Eta: I put adopted in quotes because I don't know if it was a legal adoption or one more in the spirit of adoption.

I just want to say, I am taking classes to be a guardian ad litem right now...when bio parents are stripped of their parental rights, it can be understandably messy and devastating. It can also be antagonistic between Foster/adoptive families and bio families. Some people feel like their pchildren were "stolen" from them. We don't know the whole story but if they didn't voluntarily relinquish their rights, it isn't surprising to me personally if her bio parents are salty.

I hope Whitney wasn't adopted because of neglect or abuse by her biological parents. That would be a shitty thing to deal with. Maybe Whitney and her biological parents had a good reunion. 

I see we have a subforum! I have to wonder what sparked the change of plans - recently the subject was brought up and shut down.

15 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm from the south and to me it seems like "bless your heart" is used sincerely most of the time. The internet seems to have gotten the idea that it's an insult, but in my experience that's usually not the case.

I hope you're right.  I used to have an elderly in-law that used to say that all the time.  Even had a southern accent, although she'd never lived in the South.  Anyway, I always thought she was saying it sincerely.

19 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm from the south and to me it seems like "bless your heart" is used sincerely most of the time. The internet seems to have gotten the idea that it's an insult, but in my experience that's usually not the case.

Living on the border of north and south, I've heard it used both ways and will admit that I use it in a snarky way at times, but always hearing Tennessee Ernie Fords' catchphrase  'Bless your little pea-pickin' heart' in the back of my mind...:my_biggrin:

Also from the South, and I generally mean it in a kind, sympathetic way, with the sense of "Oh no, that sucks!" If I ever use it in a snarky way, it's generally qualified, like "That person's dumber than a sack of hammers, bless their heart."

We had a motivational speaker come to a meeting at my last job (around 2010 -2011) and she brought up the phrase "Bless your Heart" in her talk.  She said that it was a more polite way to say someone was stupid.  She said that if someone said it to you, now we know it is not a good thing.  My co-workers took to using it liberally to describe other's stupid behavior.  Keep in mind we are in the Midwest so it was just weird. 

20 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

It's all about tone. In my experience, younger people tend to use it more ironically, and older folks are usually sincere.

Also from the south and have lived all over the south. I hear it both ways and it definitely depends on the tone. Young or old. I've even heard it said to someone in the midst of a series of uncontrollable sneezing. "Bless your heart, are you ok?" 

In my experience (strictly my experience) the people using it negatively are people pretending to be southern. 

17 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Nuts!!  Considering Kelly has adopted sisters insane that she would say someone like this. 

Alas, Michelle Duggar has a lesbian sister and she's still a crazy anti-gay bigot so...

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived