IGNORED

Duggars and Technology

Daenerys

Do any of the Duggars other than Josh have Facebook? I remember ages ago them putting on their site that none did but since then they've travelled a lot, made friends who don't live nearby and have a lot more reason to want to be on there.

Also, do any of them have mobile phones? It strikes me that if they don't (again excl. Josh) have that or FB then they've basically got no means of communication not directly supervised by Boob and Mullet. Despite 4 of them being 18+...

I know they have a Mac in the main room but I suppose that's the only access in the house to the evil internets. I wonder how many millions of parental controls are on there to stop anything innappropriate being revealed.

Most of the older kids have been shown with iPhones -- Jim Bob must be getting a good deal on them. I should imagine they've all got stringent parental control settings.

Most of the older kids have been shown with iPhones -- Jim Bob must be getting a good deal on them. I should imagine they've all got stringent parental control settings.

I think the Duggars have a cel tower on one of their properties. I wonder if that has something to do with the iphones.

So far it seems Josh is the only one of the Duggar kids to have a Facebook profile. I think most of the kids have iPhones or at least the older kids do.

As for the Internet, Jim Bob and Michelle have stated that they parental controls on the home computers and years ago it was stated that only Michelle and Jill knew the passwords for the computers.

I think the older Duggar kids are likely communicating through email with friends that they have don't live nearby.

In another thread here, someone said that in one of the interviews and in second book Michelle said that iPhones have a parental control app for Internet settings.

I think Michelle said in a radio interview that none of the Duggars living at home had facebook pages, so any others out there were fake. Only Josh's and Amy's are real.

There is no way in hell Jim Bob forked over money for all of those iPhones. I would be willing to bet that as part of the cell tower agreement, he scored free phones and service for the family.

There is no way in hell Jim Bob forked over money for all of those iPhones. I would be willing to bet that as part of the cell tower agreement, he scored free phones and service for the family.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. In the town I grew up in, a cable company set up satellites on the property of a family and to this day several people in that family still get free cable.

The Apple logo was prominently displayed in the "classroom" of the Little Rock rental house. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a product placement deal with Apple.

I don't think that the Duggars are necessarily anti-technology, but I think the parents are just used to what they grew up with so facebook doesn't seem important to them. The children probably can e-mail some people that they meet if their parents approve, but I'm sure the e-mails are screened both ways by a parent or older sibling. I wonder if they just have a family e-mail account to make it harder to hide things. I don't know they restrict internet browsing on the iphones though. I guess there must be some kind of setting that they can use.

Which family was it that required all texts to be screened by a family member before the boy could read them from the girl he was courting? Was that Zach Bates? It's probably similar with the Duggars.

The parents probably also check browser history, and probably don't let anyone use the computers alone or with the door closed. That's a pretty common rule even for mainstream teenagers.

What right do they have to tell their 18+ kids that they can't have Facebook pages? They're adults and have the right to do as they please. What they really need to do is get out of that house and get their own lives. Go to school or get a job or something. Being controlled that much as an adult by your parents is a bit embarrassing.

Running a family of 20 might not be much on a CV but it is definitely a full time job for the J'Slaves. I have to agree though in the case of JD, he needs to do more than just help out Josh's failing business.

What right do they have to tell their 18+ kids that they can't have Facebook pages? They're adults and have the right to do as they please. What they really need to do is get out of that house and get their own lives. Go to school or get a job or something. Being controlled that much as an adult by your parents is a bit embarrassing.

Jessa, Jill, Jana and JD might not think it is embarrassing to be controlled by parents. To them that is what they know and they probably been brainwashed to accept being controlled. Maybe at times Jessa, Jill and Jana look at Amy and wonder how it would be to be on your own without parents dictating everything.

Jessa, Jill, Jana and JD might not think it is embarrassing to be controlled by parents. To them that is what they know and they probably been brainwashed to accept being controlled. Maybe at times Jessa, Jill and Jana look at Amy and wonder how it would be to be on your own without parents dictating everything.

IMHO, the older daughters look at Amy as a cautionary tale of what happens when you don't let your father control every aspect of your life. Amy relies on Jim Bob for her livelihod, just in a different way.

What do they even do with their Iphones? Most things I can think of, i doubt they'd be allowed to do. And the websites they're allowed to visit must be very limited, especially for the older ones. I guess there could be a small list of people they can email, if they show it to their parents first. I don't imagine they can make phone calls on their iphone, because wouldn't they need a chaperone for that to make sure they were calling someone inappropriate? And i guess they could put music on it, if it's one of those blood songs they sing or something. But everything they can do with any technology at all seems like such a hassle because their parents would need to see and aprove of it.

I have a feeling that the older Duggars have considerably more freedom than we think, just not "officially." Let's face it, how many of the kids have iPhones? How can JimBoob and Michelle, presumably being tied up with Boob's business, Josh's business, 18 kids living at home, TLC dealings, and trying to have J-20, check say 6 phones for every.little.thing? Unless Jana or JD check everyone's phones? But then how do THEY manage with all the house/yard work and child-rearing they have to do?

I think the brainwashing they received from the start keeps them in line, plus a strict Internet filter. Let's face it, they're kept at home almost all the time and the people they are allowed to hang out with live in other states, so how many people can they talk to through e-mail or on their phones anyway?

I have a feeling that the older Duggars have considerably more freedom than we think, just not "officially." Let's face it, how many of the kids have iPhones? How can JimBoob and Michelle, presumably being tied up with Boob's business, Josh's business, 18 kids living at home, TLC dealings, and trying to have J-20, check say 6 phones for every.little.thing? Unless Jana or JD check everyone's phones? But then how do THEY manage with all the house/yard work and child-rearing they have to do?

I think the brainwashing they received from the start keeps them in line, plus a strict Internet filter. Let's face it, they're kept at home almost all the time and the people they are allowed to hang out with live in other states, so how many people can they talk to through e-mail or on their phones anyway?

Its possible that they have iphones for texts and pictures but they dont have a data plan - so no internet. Total waste of an iphone... but...

Guest Anonymous

When I lived rurally a cell carrier approached us to put up a cell tower. The said they could not offer us cells nor service due to fed. regs. They did give us cash up front (paid for a hot tub) and a monthly rental.

You can't have an iPhone without a data plan unless you have the first iPhone then you can fool the system.

And even with all the apps and stuff, I'm sure the kids have limited apps, and they're all Bible/news apps anyway, boring shit that couldn't possibly be defrauding.

Even allowing texts is dangerous... It's unmonitored speech! oMG they could sext!

This is assuming the kids have either the time or privacy to take pictures of themselves naked, let alone send them and delete them afterward.

And even with all the apps and stuff, I'm sure the kids have limited apps, and they're all Bible/news apps anyway, boring shit that couldn't possibly be defrauding.

Yup, Boob and Mullet probably approved any apps they kids have on their phones.

Archived