IGNORED

My dad dressed me for a week!

LynnKaboom

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/f ... toViewer=1

No, not me, this lady. Obviously her dad wasn't a fundie, although he did have some weird ideas about what looked good on people (that was one fugly purple cocktail dress). But it got me wondering- if some of our fundies got their dads to dress them for a week, would it be pretty much the same as they dress now? More fundie-ish? Or more normal?

I'm leaning towards the more extreme fundie side for the Botkin girls, and less fundie-ish for Zsuzsu, since she didn't grow up fundie.

That sounds like a challenge they would like. Letting Dad have "dominion" over their wardrobe!

Of course, with Jessica and Chad, he already dominated their wardrobe when he guilt-tripped her into wearing skirts. Ugh.

She got lucky, my dad would have have had me looking like a little girl or a frumpy fundy. My mom on the other hand had much better taste and style than I could ever hope for.

Fundy dads would have their daughters wearing something like they do in the middle east I'm sure.

My dad would be like, "You want me to do WHAT?! No, you pick out your own clothes!"

And that's why my dad is awesome. Haha!

My dad would be like, "You want me to do WHAT?! No, you pick out your own clothes!"

And that's why my dad is awesome. Haha!

Yeah, my dad would probably laugh at me if I asked him to pick out my clothes for a week.

Guest Anonymous

Don't the fundies dad's already dictate their clothes?

I think my daddy would just pic out the clothes he sees me wear most often (shorts, tank tops, v-necks, boots, jeans) and stuff he and my mom bought me and know I love a lot (Miss Me jeans, Tony Lamas).

No Way. I have seen my dh fashion sense when it comes to dressing the kids. Clinton Kelly or Randy Fenoli he is not.

Lol! My dad would have gone to REI or Cabellas and gotten me some of those pants that zip off at the knees, some hiking boots, and a boring t-shirt. When we were younger, my sister and I loved to show him the fruits of our back-to-school shopping trip and listen to all the silly comments he would make ("Why is that shirt all fuzzy? It looks like it needs a shave."). He might have objected if we were dressing like hookers or something, but generally he didn't give a rat's rear end what we wore.

My dad would have quickly carted me to a relative's house and asked them to dress me. He can barely dress himself, much less select clothes for a girl!

Dear Lord no. Just no. My dad has terrible taste. Example: He has a 3 piece tweed pink suit. Yes it looks just like you imagine it. Now picture a short spherical bald brown man in the suit. *sigh*

My dad is extremely color-blind, so I can't even imagine how this would go. We always had to help him (Um, Dad, your socks don't match. Dad, did you mean to wear a navy suit jacket with black pants?), and my mom still does!

Not that he would give a rat's ass in the first place. He probably would have thrown out some of the shirts I wore as a teenager, but he would think I was insane for even suggesting something like this.

Yeah, my dad would probably laugh at me if I asked him to pick out my clothes for a week.

Yeah, that's my dad... He'd be like "I don't know.. .you always look nice." and probably be kinda weirded out... :lol: The only person in my family who I would allow to dress me for a week is my sister, since she is a fashionista. XD

My parents would love this, LOL!

They both have pretty good fashion sense, so I wouldn't worry. Well, okay, one has good fashion sense. The other is so fuddy-duddy, but in a way that's so uncool it's cool, KWIM? THere's only a few people on the planet that can still rock tweed.

Guest Anonymous

Mine would have asked "Is this a trick question?", as would my husband now

For me to ever, ever, EVER let a man dress me, I'd have to be in a persistent vegetative state. Well, maybe Tim Gunn, but anyone else--hell to the NO.

My Dad has decent taste in clothes. Though I don't think he's dress me in Girly clothes - it'd be jeans the whole week!

My father wouldnt have a clue - nor any interest!

BTW - and off topic - did anyone see the preview of next weeks whiny brats in tiaras where the mom has to "pray" about what the kid wears??? UGH!

BTW - and off topic - did anyone see the preview of next weeks whiny brats in tiaras where the mom has to "pray" about what the kid wears??? UGH!

Haha, yes. Apparently Jesus approves of tiedye skirts. But that wasn't as bad as last week's, when the binky-sucking brat claims she could wear her outfit to church...and she's dressed like a mini stripper.

My dad would be extremely confused if I asked him to pick out my clothes. Plus we function much better with a certain amount of distance...like living in different states. Had to keep repeating, "Don't argue with Dad on Father's Day, don't argue with Dad on Father's Day" when I called him earlier :evil:

• 3 weeks later...

Oh sheesh,

Off subject here, because I'm referring to my husband, not my father. A few years ago was a period of about a year when I went back to school that my husband had to take over the bulk of the care of three of our kids, age 6 month old boy, 2 year old gilr, and 4 year old boy. O.k., so clearly, we're not fundie if he's home with them willingly, but he is MUCH older, ex-military officer, and USED to have very definite ideas about what constituted a "well groomed" child. HAH. Within two weeks of the semester he got sick of dealing with overall fasterners, leggings and snaps, and declared anything beyond clean t-shirts and diapers wasted effort. He streamlined the dressing of the kids with military precision by lining up diapers, baby wipes and packs of Hanes white t-shirts all in child's large on the kitchen counter, and that's what my three wore, with socks and blankets for the baby, and pull on boots and jackets for the older two. It was pretty hilarious, actually. As he put it, what did they care at that age? Now that they are older, I guarantee that is one man who would NEVER presume to tell our kids ANYTHING about their clothing other than how nice they looked!

Oh. Disappointing. I thought this was a fundie project. The only things I liked were the magenta cocktail dress and the white dress with the blazer. If I ever asked my dad to dress me I think he'd have me committed or have me sent to cult deprogrammers. Ironically, I like the clothes he buys for me. He's picked out birthday and Christmas gifts that are my favourites, because he knows my taste. My mother is useless at it. I think she thinks I'm older and also Ellen.

Bloody hell, my dad dressing me would be a nightmare. He once brought me a "present". It was a UK size 22 full length black skirt. At the time I was a UK size 10 and I stand just under five foot tall. I could have used that thing as a tent.

MNB, that sounds like *my* hubby. He isn't militiary, but you'd never know with the way he does some things around here. We are pretty lax when it comes to clothing as long as it is neat (no holes, rips, etc). Though we wouldn't allow Sevy out of the house if she were dressed like a hooker or stripper like I have seen on some 5 year olds recently (the most memorable was a midriff halter top, much like a bikini top and the bottoms were mini shorts with JUICY on the butt. The girl couldn't have been more than 5).

Dr. Sev usually stays with REI or Nordstrom's (can you guess which one is for work? haha) and I stay with Old Navy, Lucky Brand, and REI (Yay for outlet malls). Sevy is restricted to the thrift shops until she stops growing so much, I don't want to buy brand new stuff that will be worthless or converted within 6 months (half of last year's pants are now capris or shorts). We're not really MODEST but we're fine as long as our underwear/the area is covered up and nothing rude is printed on the shirt (well, rude as in the F-bomb or C-bomb).

AS to the dressing thing: back in the 90s it was popular for girls in our area to wear really baggy clothes, so the bigger the better. My parents got sick of me stealing my dad's shirts so they made a list of rules I had to follow until the fad passed and I was back to my normal flared jeans and T-shirts/hoodies. I think they breathed a long sigh of relief that was the *only* time they had to really fight/pick out my clothing, otherwise they don't really care as long as I didn't look like a bum or hooker. I do have to admit they did have a party when I passed my goth phase (5 years, ha!) and allowed me to splurge at Old Navy for college.

Archived