IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Part 9: They slosh through the rain.

Coconut Flan

2 minutes ago, Manda said:

Jill has already claimed to have done Rosetta Stone, didn't she during an episode a few years ago during midwife training?  Either she didn't really do it, didn't stick with it, or she's dreadful at learning languages?

tell me if I don't remember this correctly but wasn't she the one that always talked about how much she loves Spanish and her parents were always saying how long she'd been studying it and how good she was, etc.? 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After as much time Jill has supposedly spent studying Spanish at TTH and with Marjorie's mom,  she should have the basics covered. I think she was never taught basic grammar and language rules, so things like verb conjugation make no sense to her and learning by immersion would mean spending hours upon hours each day with people not like her, talking about things non-Gothard (which she won't do.)

Man.  I'm in my 30s and have never been to Disneyland or Disney World. The closest I've gotten to Disney are the Minnie ears my mom brought me when she went last year (was her first time,  too). 

13 minutes ago, Imagine20 said:

Man.  I'm in my 30s and have never been to Disneyland or Disney World. The closest I've gotten to Disney are the Minnie ears my mom brought me when she went last year (was her first time,  too). 

Don't worry, unless you're independently wealthy or win the lottery, save your money, it's not worth it IMO.

Just took my Grandkids to Disneyland for their first visit. Hopefully it will be MY last visit. I am too old for all that.....:naptime:

57 minutes ago, Manda said:

Jill has already claimed to have done Rosetta Stone, didn't she during an episode a few years ago during midwife training?  Either she didn't really do it, didn't stick with it, or she's dreadful at learning languages?

Rosetta Stone doesn't work for everyone.  But I think the problem with Jill may be that she only knows how to rote-memorize and language learning is different. 

40 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Don't worry, unless you're independently wealthy or win the lottery, save your money, it's not worth it IMO.

It's definitely not for everyone. I, on the other hand, love Disneyland and Disney World. :)

9 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Rosetta Stone doesn't work for everyone.  But I think the problem with Jill may be that she only knows how to rote-memorize and language learning is different. 

If god wanted the dullards prancing about the globe preaching his word they would have been blessed with a talent for languages.

11 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I think Jill doesn't know how to learn, period. It's obvious that the SOTDRT does not encourage curiosity, motivation, good study habits, or a good work ethic. As long as the kids are functionally literate and know enough math to balance a checkbook, JB and Michelle are content. That Jill's favorite book as an older teen was that ridiculous "Waiting for Prince Charming" book shows how intellectually limited she is. For her to really study Spanish would require skills and drive that she simply doesn't have and has no desire to obtain.

52 minutes ago, Imagine20 said:

After as much time Jill has supposedly spent studying Spanish at TTH and with Marjorie's mom,  she should have the basics covered. I think she was never taught basic grammar and language rules, so things like verb conjugation make no sense to her and learning by immersion would mean spending hours upon hours each day with people not like her, talking about things non-Gothard (which she won't do.)

She may have learned the language "rules" but she may have learned them as rules, not as something she can apply.  I have had lots of students over the years who can recognize adverbs, list prepositions, recite the difference between direct and indirect objects... And can't write a paragraph in any language.  Memorizing conjugations doesn't help you in actual use of the language unless you are really conscious of how the language (or languages in general) work.  Jill may very well be able to recite "Yo soy, tu eres, el es,  nosotros somos," etc. but get totally freaked about deciding whether to use "ser" or "estar."

Keep in mind also that Jill is a "perfect girl." "Perfect girls" never risk making a mistake or doing anything wrong if they can avoid it.  She may be afraid of making mistakes which pretty much silences the language learner. 

I think the biggest problem with Jill is that she was never taught think and ask questions., which makes learning anything really difficult.

Jill has never worked hard at any educational endeavor. I don't include the lay midwife thing because I think it's bogus and am pretty sure most of us could pass it if we wanted to. How is she supposed to work at learning Spanish when she never even had to work at learning English or any other subject? She was raised to do things just enough to get by. She gets to say she is midwife without any actual medical education or training.

When you have never worked hard at anything, learning a new language is not where you start. She never even had to work hard at the SOTDRT. Think about it. Never had to worry about studying for finals, finishing an essay, preparing a presentation or just doing homework and having it turn in on time, rather than Duggar time. She has no idea the work even the laziest person would have put in to just get a passing grade in Spanish. She isn't going to work hard at learning Spanish, being a missionary or really anything because she doesn't have to and doesn't desire to. She was raised to put in the minimal amount of effort and then be praised for it. Jill's learning Spanish at home so she can take care of Izzy is no different. I wouldn't be surprised if she only has lessons a couple of hours a week just so she can say she still takes classes. 

16 hours ago, kimhoward said:

Here's the entire SOS newsletter including the Jill & Derick announcement.  

sos7.PNG.1215b6fcf002e8527d2b436b088deea

THE FONT, OH GOD THE FONT.

2 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Just took my Grandkids to Disneyland for their first visit. Hopefully it will be MY last visit. I am too old for all that.....:naptime:

When I lived in Orange County, CA I had an annual pass (super cheap for locals then) and went all the time. I was a grad student then. As a parent now, I think I'll probably take my kids when they are old enough (tho we'll go to Disney World, which IMO, is a million times better than Disneyland) and that'll be that. Not my kind of thing now, the crowds, the lines, the crazy obsessed Disney people.

I grew up in LA and Disneyland was always the "go to" place for a quick weekend day out, so I had been there way too many times. Seeing it thru the eyes of an 8 and 11 year old was kinda cool tho. We stood in line for just over 2 hours for a ride, I was so over that. Hubby's back was killing him, kids were cranky and the ride was only a few minutes long  I took my boys to both Disneyland and Disneyworld when they were kids, and yes, Disneyworld is much better. Any further Disney trips will be without me, unless of course we take the kiddos on a Disney Cruise.....:my_biggrin:

Never took the kids to Disney, even though we make regular trips to Florida to see my in-laws. Two reasons - my kids aren't really that excited about amusement parks, and it is so expensive. Not to mention we normally are in Florida over the holidays and Disney is so packed at that time. It never seemed worth the time and money.

My in-laws live a block from the ocean and have a lake in their backyard, so my kids have never missed not having gone to Disney.

OTOH, when Harry Potter theme park opened my daughter and youngest son got passes for Christmas. They loved it (except for the rides, haha)!

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

Jill has never worked hard at any educational endeavor. I don't include the lay midwife thing because I think it's bogus and am pretty sure most of us could pass it if we wanted to. How is she supposed to work at learning Spanish when she never even had to work at learning English or any other subject? She was raised to do things just enough to get by. She gets to say she is midwife without any actual medical education or training.

When you have never worked hard at anything, learning a new language is not where you start. She never even had to work hard at the SOTDRT. Think about it. Never had to worry about studying for finals, finishing an essay, preparing a presentation or just doing homework and having it turn in on time, rather than Duggar time. She has no idea the work even the laziest person would have put in to just get a passing grade in Spanish. She isn't going to work hard at learning Spanish, being a missionary or really anything because she doesn't have to and doesn't desire to. She was raised to put in the minimal amount of effort and then be praised for it. Jill's learning Spanish at home so she can take care of Izzy is no different. I wouldn't be surprised if she only has lessons a couple of hours a week just so she can say she still takes classes. 

I think this hits the nail on the head. They find "Duggar Time" to be so funny, but all it has done is show their children that no one has any deadlines and their time is more important than everyone else's. Josh boasted on more than one occasion that he was lucky to open the car lot before 11:00 a.m. because he liked to sleep late. Jill has never had a deadline for anything including having Izzy. Very few people would have endured that long of a labor before asking for help and thought all was ok. They do all their school work "in their own time". This teaches them nothing about time management. I feel this is why she is overwhelmed taking care of Izzy and taking these hard Spanish classes and being a wife all at the same time! She doesn't have the ability to prioritize and get herself organized. Derrick seems to be a wanderlust so I doubt he is much help in that department.

We all know the Duggars have failed their children horribly in the education department in the name of religion. But, due to their ignorance Jill is now unable to apply pressure to herself to excel. She just does not know how to do that. The Spanish teacher is not telling her how wonderful she is and she isn't sitting there memorizing Bible verses. She is lost.

I am disgusted at the thought of their SOS mission. They could do so much more. I do not understand the plays and the constant talking of the gangs. Have they ever thought of helping to provide meals? Or ways for more people to have work? Or better housing? Or medical supplies not fake midwife services? My grandparents were missionaries for 50 years and he was an engineer and built both hospitals and schools. My grandmother was a teacher and helped in the schools when not tending to her own family. The Dullards are making the hard working people who are actually trying to improve the lives of people look bad.

So the Dillards joined SOS. Its a 1/2% better then them just wandering around aimlessly with a camera crew. I still think they are asshats on a Jesus vacation. 

When I was a young teen we had passes to Disney Land. I was also a bookworm. I would bring a chapter book and happily stand for hours in line not minding one bit. I haven’t been back since I became disabled, but I have very fond memories of Disney. 

5 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

As you investigate this, try to find out how long the group had access to a classroom on campus.  I would be very surprised if a college of any sort of accreditated would really turn over an ESL "class" to a bunch of church people.  I think the account on SOS is misleading.

Will do.  Off topic, but a similar situation was just brought to my attention this evening.  The L. Ron Hubbard theater troupe was allowed to perform some of the early works of L. Ron in a public middle school here (his old cowboy fiction crap from the 30's).  Not sure if there was an exemption due to the material, but hell, it's the "L. Ron Hubbard Golden Age Theater Troupe"!  Gah!  What's going on in my county!?

3 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

It's definitely not for everyone. I, on the other hand, love Disneyland and Disney World. :)

I'm with you!  I've never been to Disneyland, but have been to Disney World and I just love it. My favorite ride is The Haunted Mansion, and second favorite is Peter Pan's Flight. :pb_biggrin:

9 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Does this mean the Dillards will get to fly back to SOS HQ in Clearwater Fla all the time for meetings?

If they do I'm on it!  Schadt lives not far from me.  It's almost a straight shot west to Scientology HQ too.  :evil-laugh:  

14 minutes ago, snarkysuki1724 said:

I'm with you!  I've never been to Disneyland, but have been to Disney World and I just love it. My favorite ride is The Haunted Mansion, and second favorite is Peter Pan's Flight. :pb_biggrin:

I love Splash Mountain and Peter Pan's flight is great.  It's a Small World, while incredibly annoying has a special significance for me.  My parents first took me and my brother and sister to WDW when I was about 8.  My brother teased me mercifully that the rides would be "scary"...  I basically refused to go on any rides and when I did, I kept my head down and my hands over my ears.  Then, on it's a small world, my mother insisted I open my eyes, I did and just loved it and it changed the entire trip.  I went back almost 30 years later and was reduced to tears recalling it all.  

you all are tripping, Pirates of the Caribbean is undoubtedly the best ride at Disney.

13 minutes ago, LovelyLuna said:

you all are tripping, Pirates of the Caribbean is undoubtedly the best ride at Disney.

I vote for the Buzz Lightyear ride! 

1 hour ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

If they do I'm on it!  Schadt lives not far from me.  It's almost a straight shot west to Scientology HQ too.  :evil-laugh:  

Be wary of posting such things on FJ.  Keep in mind that an FJer was arrested after being found near Duggars after posting plans on FJ.

7 minutes ago, gustava said:

Be wary of posting such things on FJ.  Keep in mind that an FJer was arrested after being found near Duggars after posting plans on FJ.

I remember that fiasco.  No one would know 'til it was over.  But alas, we don't have an eye on the skies anymore, so doubtful it would come to fruition anyway unless I spotted them at my local Walmart or something.  :(  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived