IGNORED

Joe 'n' Carlin Sittin' in a Tree?

sophrosyne

Nearly as many Duggars kids have been married. I don't get the sense that JB is truly far more controlling, just richer and less likable. Gil is "folksy" and not very savvy. Say what you want about JB, but he knows how to do business. I think it gives him that "used car salesman" vibe.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

I can see where you're coming from.  The reason I think it's over is because we haven't seen them together since New Years and this post from the BatesFam.blog is no longer on their site:

Monday, November 23, 2015

Possible courtship update!

Back in October, we posted Possible courtship on our blog and we wanted to give you all an update! We always want to give the family the chance to give the announcement but we can tell you that it's one of the boys and it's not Lawson! 

We hope to share with you it soon! 

I know it's flimsy evidence but I think it means something.  If it is over they're probably just going to pretend like it never happened.  Who knows, they may surprise us with an engagement announcement at the end of this season.

Didn't the Bates (eventually) remove the Zach and Sarah Reith courtship posts from their website?

23 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Is it possible she's confusing him with Austin Forsyth? We've discussed that guy as a courtship prospect before, and it kind of looks like it might be him. I think he has a buddy named Logan Smith, too. Austin's instagram is Austin4Site, but it's private. He happens to be one of the few accounts that the 'duggarfam' instagram follows.

Edit: Logan Smith's public instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/loganflying4jesus/ I don't know anything about him other than what I mentioned above, and that he seems to hang out with the Duggars and their pals all the time. He went to ALERT, too. He looks more like the guy in the picture than does Austin. He seems to be a Duggar disciple so I'm not sure how much can be read into him having dinner with them.

I don't think these teens/young adults should rush out (or feel pressure to) get married. BUT I have to admit this Logan Smith looks pretty cute in his pictures. I wonder what kind of guy he is - kind to animals, respectful to elders, reads books? What does he do for a living? How old is he? He might be a good fit for Jana, Jinger, or Joy if we are matchmaking. 

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

I can see where you're coming from.  The reason I think it's over is because we haven't seen them together since New Years and this post from the BatesFam.blog is no longer on their site:

Back in October, we posted Possible courtship on our blog and we wanted to give you all an update! We always want to give the family the chance to give the announcement but we can tell you that it's one of the boys and it's not Lawson! 

I know it's flimsy evidence but I think it means something.  If it is over they're probably just going to pretend like it never happened.  Who knows, they may surprise us with an engagement announcement at the end of this season.

Well, I predicted that towards the end of this season or the beginning of the next that a courtship will be announce. HOWEVER, the Bates courtship rules are flexible so one can't rubber stamp, you could be right. (1) Nathan suggested that Lawson maybe to the next one to be courting to suggest that the relationship has ended or about to end, with confirmation from one of the sisters that said no he does not have a girlfriend and Kelly previously mentioned that the little ones are detectives in the house. On other hand, (2) a picture of Nathan is on Ashley's social media as well her parents' and recent comment inquiring whether she (Ashley) is courting Nathan is still there.

So, who knows? 

2 hours ago, GreenTea said:

I don't think these teens/young adults should rush out (or feel pressure to) get married. BUT I have to admit this Logan Smith looks pretty cute in his pictures. I wonder what kind of guy he is - kind to animals, respectful to elders, reads books? What does he do for a living? How old is he? 

Looking at one of his posts on Instagram, he says he is 20 years old. And that comment was 11 weeks ago. 

On 3/3/2016 at 9:55 AM, sunshine said:

I doubt that Nathan and Ashley broke up, but are good at being quiet or really not frequent internet posters or it could be do to the show. Why? (1) who sends their fundie daughter halfway across the US til New Years to say later 'hey, this is not working out,' (2) parents choose a wedding board around the time of daughter's travel, (3) the Bates were in NYC multiple times to include prior to Ashley being in AR, (4) I can see a quit after a month or maybe three months but nearly a year of "hanging out," and (5) confirmation of touching with Nate's arm around Ashley.  *go ahead and call the paddy-wagon; clearly I don't have a life*

For point number 1, I've come to realize that it's actually really common for these homeschooling fundies to send their kids to all but live with another family for a few weeks to a few months. I mean, isn't Tabitha currently living with the Duggars? And how many times have the Bates and Duggars been seen at one another's house sans parental figures? And there have also been a lot of sightings of other fundie kidults at both the Duggar's and Bates' houses without parental figures.

I think once they're 18, parents become a bit more relaxed about it, especially if they have a sibling that can act as an accountability partner or they're particularly comfortable with the family their kid is going off to. Also, I imagine that it's probably a nice reprieve for the parents. Lets face it, 13-22 year olds can be down right obnoxious, especially if they're feeling some kind of injustice has happened in their presence or to them. I mean, it's normal, everyone goes through that stage -- I did, my siblings did, my friends all did, etc -- so sending them away for a while is probably like heaven to these parents who have to be around their kids all day every day for however long it takes to marry them off. Lol

On 3/3/2016 at 1:03 PM, sunshine said:

Without writing a research paper and providing sources, the Duggars are more strict in their dating practices than the Bates. Yes, they are "cut from the same cloth" but they have lax in their courtship process because (1) they realize their children aren't robot and (2) they respect their differences and create an atmosphere that is conductive to exploration. Now, they Bates child may choose what they want in their courtship provided it is not sex and the Duggars hahahahaha. 

Can I say that I like Tori and Carlin pairing? The spot they did when they wanted to join date night with Michael and Brandon, and they were willing to get dates. Cute. Have a Duggar girl say that? Whatever camp that ATI has for girls, she will be on the next plane.

I don't think that the Bates changed because "they realized their kids aren't all robots." The Bates believed that courtship was the best way to go because they believed it guarded the child's heart and kept them from getting hurt. Then Zach was crushed when his courtship (engagement?) ended (and rightfully so). Now, some people, like the Duggars, may think that the failure may be because the rules weren't followed properly, thereby becoming stricter; but others, like the Bates, may look at the situation and say "maybe this wasn't the best way to keep my child safe," thereby becoming more lenient. The Bates still observe a courtship, they've just tweaked the rules to allow certain things to happen within the confines of the courtship.

On 3/4/2016 at 8:33 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

Joshley has the almighty penis and he's allowed to do what he wants.   Prior to leaving the country, Jill was given the McMansion by JB and probably lives there on her trips home.  We also don't know how long they'll be out of the country (I predict before the arrival of #2).  

The fact that the McMansion sits empty while the Dillards are overseas instead of housing Anna and the M kids tells me that it is not permanent.  

I think I read somewhere that the McMansion was sold? Jill and Derick said they would be back in the spring or summer. I know that there move is not permanent, but they've said that they would move overseas one day.

13 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

I don't think that the Bates changed because "they realized their kids aren't all robots." The Bates believed that courtship was the best way to go because they believed it guarded the child's heart and kept them from getting hurt. Then Zach was crushed when his courtship (engagement?) ended (and rightfully so). Now, some people, like the Duggars, may think that the failure may be because the rules weren't followed properly, thereby becoming stricter; but others, like the Bates, may look at the situation and say "maybe this wasn't the best way to keep my child safe," thereby becoming more lenient. The Bates still observe a courtship, they've just tweaked the rules to allow certain things to happen within the confines of the courtship.

I wonder if the Duggars' courtship rules will change post Josiah failed courtship.

I would count Josh as a failed courtship, too. True, it did lead to marriage, but obviously, it didn't work for getting to know each other. Oh wait, maybe the whole courting concept is what doesn't work. It's too soon to tell with Jill and Jessa.

I wonder if the Duggars' courtship rules will change post Josiah failed courtship.

Doubt it. When have JB or Michelle ever admitted that they've made a mistake and are willing to change their methods?

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I don't think they will change but I honestly think there will be small alterations to the rules when/if John-David  and Jana start courtships. It will be TLC's idea, since they are trying to make the kidults come more "normal". 

When I say "alterations" I mean hand holding before being engaged. Jana and John's courtships are going to be really awkward to watch.....I can't wait. 

What would happen if JD/Jana/Jinger started courting and the potential husband/wife refused to allow filming of their courtship/marriage/babies or life in general? Is one of the requirements to courting a Duggar:

1. Must allow TLC full access to your life, even the most intimate aspects?

2. Must be employed by JB in order to make for good TV (and free labor for JB)

3. Must be willing to have as many babies as possible in order to keep the TV branding going on forever

Plus many, many other requirements that I am sure you can all come up with...lol.

1 hour ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

I don't think they will change but I honestly think there will be small alterations to the rules when/if John-David  and Jana start courtships. It will be TLC's idea, since they are trying to make the kidults come more "normal". 

When I say "alterations" I mean hand holding before being engaged. Jana and John's courtships are going to be really awkward to watch.....I can't wait. 

You saying that you think they will allow hand holding before marriage?

19 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

What would happen if JD/Jana/Jinger started courting and the potential husband/wife refused to allow filming of their courtship/marriage/babies or life in general? Is one of the requirements to courting a Duggar:

1. Must allow TLC full access to your life, even the most intimate aspects?

2. Must be employed by JB in order to make for good TV (and free labor for JB)

3. Must be willing to have as many babies as possible in order to keep the TV branding going on forever

Plus many, many other requirements that I am sure you can all come up with...lol.

Personally I have always thought that Jana isn't really into the TLC filming stuff. From the latest promo, I think she just goes along with it, meaning, she doesn't love it but doesn't necessarily hate it. And now that the show is prominently showing pretty much all of the older Duggar girls+Anna, she's probably comfortable around the idea. But as for a show being only about her, I don't think she'd like that. I see her being the only older Duggar girl who would keep her life pretty private.

11 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I would count Josh as a failed courtship, too. True, it did lead to marriage, but obviously, it didn't work for getting to know each other. Oh wait, maybe the whole courting concept is what doesn't work. It's too soon to tell with Jill and Jessa.

I already see cracks with Jessa and Ben a bit. Mainly because Jessa already seems kind of annoyed by him. Never good in the beginning of a marriage. Years later...sure...that's probably pretty normal. But year one? Bad sign.

Thanks. I haven't been around much lately. Trying to get back into the forum. It's hard to keep up though.

Regardless of lax in courtship something about Gil has always creeped me. I don't think Derick would have ever made the cut with Gil and Kelly.

Out of curiosity, why do some people think Derick and or Ben wouldn't have been accepted by Gil and Kelly? Is it because they depend too much on their father-in-law?

I don't know tons about the Bates' but I feel like they don't want to have to support their children (financially) forever. And with sons-in-law like Ben and Derick, they'd pretty much have to.

3 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I don't know tons about the Bates' but I feel like they don't want to have to support their children (financially) forever. And with sons-in-law like Ben and Derick, they'd pretty much have to.

No,not with Derick. I suspect that Gil would have encouraged him to stay at Walmart as an accountant, or at least discouraged him from quitting. The Bates are not accustomed to TV money and all the married children are self-supporting. If Derick had married a Bates girl (Alyssa, maybe, in a parallel universe) he'd still be employed.

On 3/4/2016 at 10:40 AM, justmy2cents said:

It appears that Nathan will make an announcement towards the end of this season. "Nathan calls a family meeting to share some exciting news." So, a possible courtship or maybe he is going to a mission trip full-time?

Why would GIl encourage Derick to keep a job when he quit a good job himself to 'serve the Lord'? The reason I said Derick wouldn't pass with Gil is because the two sons-in-law came from families who are top dogs in ATI. Ben may have gotten a chance. I also gathered from here and elsewhere that GIl and Kelly didn't want Zach and Whitney together.

The Bateses had less money than the Duggars and had to borrow from Lawson so how could they support married kids?
There's nothing wrong with a small living space, but is it really the best they can do for Brandon and Mike considering $ from the show?

I don't give the Bateses a pass regardless of how normal they make themselves look or regardless of the Josh scandal. Who knows what goes on in any of these families?. For every positive thing about the Bateses, I can name 5 negatives just as with the DUggars. The involvement in ATI cancels out any positive.
Also, I guess you can be a submissive wife and be rude. No one said it was oK to be rude .The Bates and Duggars are known to show up unannounced .

They are all pretty rude, I think. Very inconsiderate of others, in general.

And yeah...I wouldn't see Gil encouraging Derick to stay in a job either.

But since they mooched off of Lawson, I could see them wanting to make sure they don't have to pay for their daughters anymore.

• 1 month later...

So if there really is a Duggar/Bates courtship brewing, how will it be handled given that the families are not on the same network.  Which show gets first dibs and would there be 2 sets of cameras?

Archived