IGNORED

Pecan and Priss moving to Texas

WonderingInWA

1 hour ago, Hane said:

The quiz put me between NYC and Soringfield MA. I was born in New York City and have lived in central Connecticut since I was small.

This child of 1952 thinks that the names of our generation (Linda, Janet, Sharon, Donna, Kathy, Joyce, and so on) will get popular when our grandchildren start naming their kids, because everybody loves Grandma. Nobody wants to name a baby after that bitch who grounded you for flunking algebra.

I think it's more that when your great grandchildren start having kids then the names come around again.  Case in point Emma, popular in 1880-1910 and then 1995-present.  It seems the cycle for names is about 100 years.  My older niece, born in 2012, has a name (according to baby name voyager) that all but died in the 1920s and it is very close to cracking the top 200.  (Younger niece's name peaked in the 1930s).  It looks like people wait until a (female) relative is deceased until naming a daughter after her.  My mom (your generation) does not forsee a wave of Lindas and Susans until after she's gone.

BTW if you are a name geek, play with Baby Name Voyager.  You can see any name's popularity charted over time.  

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

You can see any name's popularity charted over time.  

Gasping in awe at your use of the apostrophe.:my_heart:

They quiz was bang on and pegged me from either Omaha or Lincoln.

I feel as a kid we used Pee-Cahn and Pee-can interchangeably.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived