IGNORED

Pecan and Priss moving to Texas

WonderingInWA

3 hours ago, KylieJenner said:

That is my favorite book right now! I can't wait for the movie

I'm reading that book right now.  Wanted to read the book before the movie (because the book's always better).

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

There were 5 other Debbies in my Kindergarden class so some the teacher asked if anyone had a nick-name.

I had one of the other popular names from around that time period, and there were at least four others in one of my classes in a very small school.  To this day I sometimes don't bother turning when someone calls my name because it was a very small chance they were calling on me as I was growing up.  My best friends include Debbies and Cathies.  It should be anytime now that the names of the 50s come 'round again.

17 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

I had one of the other popular names from around that time period, and there were at least four others in one of my classes in a very small school.  To this day I sometimes don't bother turning when someone calls my name because it was a very small chance they were calling on me as I was growing up.  My best friends include Debbies and Cathies.  It should be anytime now that the names of the 50s come 'round again.

Ooh I love talking names.

My name (which I shan't disclose! ;)) apparently was rare when my parents picked it out, or at least they thought so ... they didn't know anyone with the name and my dad heard it on the train on his commute to work and thought it sounded nice. When they told family one of my great-aunts told them she thought it was really old fashioned! Fast forward to when I was at school and there was like six other "TShirtsLongSkirts" in my class. Funny how these things turn out.

My friend just had a baby and named her Arabella which I think is gorgeous. Plus Elsie and Edith seem to be coming back into fashion. They are, say, 20s and 30s names? A few more years and I think the 50s names will start coming back. :)  

24 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Do you mean Cathie the name or that particular spelling of it? I've always thought of Cathy/Catherine as being timeless, IME anyhow. Catherine was my 'girl' name. (I had boys).

1 minute ago, Kak said:

Do you mean Cathie the name or that particular spelling of it?

All the spellings:  Cathy, Kathy, Cathi, etc.  I think Catherine and Kathleen are timeless, but in my time period there were a lot of Cathies (just how I chose to pluralize it).  I don't think there are many Cathies after the 50s-60s (none in my daughter's class born mid-80s, for example).  It's a nice name.  It is interesting following name trends.

The names we chose for both of our kids weren't even on the popolar names lists when we chose them. Both times they were on there the following year. :doh:

When I was a kid I use to think adults changed their names when they got older.  Because all of my older relatives had old sounding names. It will be interesting in many years when kids have grandmothers named Jessica and Jennifer. 

16 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

All the spellings:  Cathy, Kathy, Cathi, etc.  I think Catherine and Kathleen are timeless, but in my time period there were a lot of Cathies (just how I chose to pluralize it).  I don't think there are many Cathies after the 50s-60s (none in my daughter's class born mid-80s, for example).  It's a nice name.  It is interesting following name trends.

I've thought of Kathy/Cathy as a nickname for Catherine (and all the various spellings) or Kathleen (ditto for spellings).  However, I haven't met a Kathy/Cathy IRL who is younger than a baby boomer.  Every Catherine/Kathleen I know of who is younger than a boomer goes by their given name or Kate/Katie (or a form of it).  To use a famous example, look to the British royals (Kate Middleton, given name Catherine, born in the 80s).  

9 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I've thought of Kathy/Cathy as a nickname for Catherine (and all the various spellings) or Kathleen (ditto for spellings).  However, I haven't met a Kathy/Cathy IRL who is younger than a baby boomer.  Every Catherine/Kathleen I know of who is younger than a boomer goes by their given name or Kate/Katie (or a form of it).  To use a famous example, look to the British royals (Kate Middleton, given name Catherine, born in the 80s).  

I know a Catherine who was born in the early 90s (I'm in UK, though, maybe name trends different over here?) She's also the only one. I also know a Kate who's given name is just Kate (not Catherine). It's a gorgeous name though. Always makes me think of Wuthering Heights!

I've known many Catherines (counting all spellings of the name here) born both before and after me (1980) including one of my family members.  However, the difference in the generations is the nicknames, not the given name.  IN previous generations, it was shortened to Cathy/Kathy and now it's Kate/Katie.  On the flip side, I can't think of a boomer I know IRL who goes by Kate/Katie.  

I think of Catherine as a classic name that won't go in and out of style.  I've known Katies (and various spellings) IRL who's legal name was that, not Catherine (or a variation).  (Never a Kate though).  I'm in the northeastern US if that makes a difference.

10 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

IN previous generations, it was shortened to Cathy/Kathy and now it's Kate/Katie.  On the flip side, I can't think of a boomer I know IRL who goes by Kate/Katie.  

I was just thinking about this and was coming back to make this clarification.  The first Kathleen/Katie I knew was born in the late 60s (I was her babysitter during my teens).    In my daughter's class (born mid-80s), there were several Kathleen/Katies.  So I think you are correct that the nicknames of Catherine/Kathleen are what have changed for the most part.  Interesting...

There's also the variations of Katelyn/Catelynn/Caitlin/Caitlyn that go by Kate/Katie. 

Yup...my sister is Kathryn, goes by Katy (b. 1988). I however, got family names,  and will make the best grandmother when it comes time. My name hasn't been at all popular since probably the 60s, so I've rarely had to share it with peers. I'm 30.

1 hour ago, CTRLZero said:

I was just thinking about this and was coming back to make this clarification.  The first Kathleen/Katie I knew was born in the late 60s (I was her babysitter during my teens).    In my daughter's class (born mid-80s), there were several Kathleen/Katies.  So I think you are correct that the nicknames of Catherine/Kathleen are what have changed for the most part.  Interesting...

Their were a ton of Christine's & Christina's in my class.  One of them insisted on being called by her nickname. She got upset once when the teacher called her by her given name. I think her family still calls her by her given name but introduces herself by her nickname (which is just the first initials of her first name and last name).  

I LOVE talking names and origins. I am actually stressed out about only choosing one name off my list of favorites when (if) I ever have a little spawn. There are so many names I love and would want to use, but I won't ever be having that many babies to use them. How do you decide?!

I had a Katherine and she was named after two strong women: my mother's mother and Katharine Hepburn.  Both of these women were nicknamed Kate (or in my grandmother's case, that might have been her actual name) and Katherine would have been nicknamed Kate or maybe Katie, but never Kathy.  

On 2/18/2016 at 5:39 AM, Sweet Fellowship said:

That didn't take as long as I thought it would.

On 2/17/2016 at 3:59 PM, clueliss said:

Does this mean the hellmouth in the bedroom was closed up?  Dang.

What if Josh is hiding in the hellmouth??

TXSEGpecan_largest_mcthreadgold.jpg  From Seguin, TX, about 5 and a half hours from Big Sandy.....(I may or may not have seen this...)

6 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm a Kathryn and go by Katie (born in 81). i have had many friends that are Kathryn/Katherines with various nicknames Kate, Katie, Kathy...even have a friend whose nickname was Kasey.

6 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

There's at least one Katherine at my grandmother's nursing home that goes by Kay.  Maybe the WWII/Silent generation is Kay, Boomers Kathy, and gen x/millennials Kate/Katie?

Not sure how old they are but I'd guess most people there were born in the late 20s/early 30s. 

ETA to clarify, every Katherine there goes by Kay.  Could be generational or regional.

7 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I know a 20-something "Cathleen" who goes by "Cathleen". A pretty and timeless name, IMO, unlike my own hideous moniker :my_confused:

On 2/22/2016 at 5:49 PM, FloraKitty35 said:

I love the name Desiree, but they would probably spell it stupidly.

Deziray

11 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

...is that what they're calling it these days?!? I still think there's a bromance between Josh and TFDW, with a little Robert Staddon added in occasionally. 

Mild disagreement here.  No visual suggestion of a Joshly/TFDW bromance.....

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived