IGNORED

Pecan and Priss moving to Texas

WonderingInWA

15 hours ago, salex said:

TXSEGpecan_largest_mcthreadgold.jpg  From Seguin, TX, about 5 and a half hours from Big Sandy.....(I may or may not have seen this...)

I couldn't get the image to open, but is it this? roadsideamerica.com/story/4031

Tee-hee.  I see a heist in their future. 

As an aside, we say puh-cahn in this part of the world (Central Texas), not pee-can.  Post up if your part of the world says pee-can. 

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/6/2016 at 6:41 PM, Lady Grass Lake said:

I was born in 1952 and Deborah was a very popular name, and I am a very nice person so here's a Deborah who isn't horrible.  There were 5 other Debbies in my Kindergarden class so some the teacher asked if anyone had a nick-name.  My sister couldn't say Debby but could say Sue which is my middle name, so I was called Su-Su at home.  From Kindergarden until I got into middle school, I was called Sue.  I always said Deborah/Debra was the Jennifer and Jessica and Ashley of my time.   I'd like to see it come back like a lot of the other older names that are becomming popular.  

Debbie, Sharon, Linda, Kathy, Mary. 

12 hours ago, Howl said:

I couldn't get the image to open, but is it this? roadsideamerica.com/story/4031

As an aside, we say puh-cahn in this part of the world (Central Texas), not pee-can.  Post up if your part of the world says pee-can. 

It's Pee-can in New England, and not just in honor of Mr. Waller.

Peh-cahn here. Although when I read it in regards to Mr. Waller I read pee-can.

37 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

Peh-cahn here. Although when I read it in regards to Mr. Waller I read pee-can.

I live (and was partially raised) in South Carolina, but I virtually always say peh-cahn, too, unless I'm mimicking. It is probably the most outsider-y thing about my speech.

And hooray! Another opportunity to shamelessly plug the New York Times dialect quiz (intended for Americans, obviously, but maybe interesting for other native English speakers, too). It was pretty spot-on for me -- Augusta, Georgia, which is 75 miles from where I have lived since I was 10 years old.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

Apparently my mother had a big influence on how I talk. They placed me about halfway between the state I grew up in and the state she grew up in.

Listening to Martha Stewart, I think she says puh-cahn and she's from northern New Jersey.  She also sometimes says cara-mel and at other times car-mel.  The words is spelled caramel, btw.  

I usually say puh-cahn myself.

Getting back to names, Kay was popular not only because of Kay Francis, but there was also the Broadway musical Oh, Kay! that was a big hit in the 20s.  George and Ira wrote the music and lyrics with Guy Bolton and PG Wodehouse responsible for the book.   The play introduced the song "Someone to Watch Over Me" and "Isn't it Romantic?" was written for the show, but then cut.   Kay was also the name of Mildred Pierce's younger daughter who died of pneumonia.  What? You've never seen Mildred Pierce?  It's really good with outstanding performances by Joan Crawford and Ann Blyth, among others.

I tend to say puh-cahn.  I bought my second bike (the first was a gift) with money I earned picking up Pecans and selling them.....

As my husband says, a pee can is something old men keep under the bed.......

On 3/8/2016 at 5:31 AM, Howl said:

Reminds me of someone I know who comes from almond country in California and pronounces "almond" to rhyme with "salmon".

ETA: pee-cahn here, with the emphasis on the last syllable. Almost like saying pick-ONS.

On 1/2/2016 at 10:59 AM, nokidsmom said:

It is good advertising.   I have worn that hat around locally (IL) and every time I do folks ask about where the place is.

Another one is the hat showing the brewery's GPS coordinates.

I live give or take 4 hours from Moab (and the guy I've been on and off dating is there every weekend in the summer working on Jeeps and bikes and all sorts of crap) and I am thoroughly enjoying this conversation.

I grew up in Maryand where it was peh-cahn, but here in North Carolina, I hear both versions. People tell me it depends on which part of the state you come from. The other word I love to hear locals say is oysters. The watermen in Maryland used to call them arhrsters (or something close to that, it was bit throaty too).

19 hours ago, daisyd681 said:

Apparently my mother had a big influence on how I talk. They placed me about halfway between the state I grew up in and the state she grew up in.

My father is from the midwest and my mother is from the south...they placed me right in Missouri.  

1 hour ago, zee_four said:

I live give or take 4 hours from Moab (and the guy I've been on and off dating is there every weekend in the summer working on Jeeps and bikes and all sorts of crap) and I am thoroughly enjoying this conversation.

I am sooooooo confused.  Please explain, because 1.  I love Moab and 2. I can't quite figure out what's 4 hours away from Moabl.

I'm of the "pee-can" saying variety. In an Aussie twang as well; my accent is horrible!

2 hours ago, gustava said:

I am sooooooo confused.  Please explain, because 1.  I love Moab and 2. I can't quite figure out what's 4 hours away from Moab.

Me too, me too!  I've lived in SW Colorado and first knew Moab when it was a dinky no count traffic light in the middle of nowhere, before Raiders of the Lost Arc and climbing blew it up.  Before mountain bikes.  It's an awesome place then and now. Are you talking about west, way west of Moab?  I can think of places hard to get to on the far side of the Rio Colorado, that aren't that far as the crow flies.  Please, do tell us.  Even Hite to Moab is under three hours, Hanksville is even closer.  I am SUPER intrigued.  Even one tiny hint. 

Or did you mean that you have to drive 4 hours to Moab to see your boyfriend? It's all so confusing! :pb_eek:

15 hours ago, gustava said:

I am sooooooo confused.  Please explain, because 1.  I love Moab and 2. I can't quite figure out what's 4 hours away from Moabl.

Western Colorado. Along I 70. I'm from one of the big fancy ski towns and not to name names but its not Aspen and anyone from my small town could figure out who I am just from my posts.

I'm from (post first lady) Hillary Clinton territory, and I've always said "peh-can" (a combination of the two traditional pronunciations).  As for caramel, I pronounce it with 3 syllables.  There's a town about 1/2 hour north of my hometown called Carmel and the 3 syllables distinguish the town from the candy.

The NYT quiz said I was a full blown New Yorker.  Yes I was born and raised in the NYC suburbs, but neither of my parents are from the state.  I was corrected as a child if I spoke with a NY accent (words like dog, coffee).  

I took the test again, and with the different questions, it got my state correct. I only answered one differently than before. Crayon is two syllables and according to them sounding like cray-ahn and rhyming with dawn are different options. Ahn rhymes with dawn in my book so...

Apparently, I am most like Birmingham and Montgomery, Alabama and Jackson, Mississippi despite having many of my responses closer to the upper Midwest or New England.  The words I use depends a lot on my mood though. Sometimes I call the freeway a freeway and sometimes an expressway, but mostly I call it I-85 if the traffic is moving along.  If not it's this #%*$@& road!

I'm from southwestern Ohio and the quiz placed me in Louisville or Lexington, Kentucky so not too far off at all.

6 hours ago, zee_four said:

Western Colorado. Along I 70. I'm from one of the big fancy ski towns and not to name names but its not Aspen and anyone from my small town could figure out who I am just from my posts.

Another wonderful area.  Thanks.

On 3/9/2016 at 10:30 PM, withaj said:

I live (and was partially raised) in South Carolina, but I virtually always say peh-cahn, too, unless I'm mimicking. It is probably the most outsider-y thing about my speech.

And hooray! Another opportunity to shamelessly plug the New York Times dialect quiz (intended for Americans, obviously, but maybe interesting for other native English speakers, too). It was pretty spot-on for me -- Augusta, Georgia, which is 75 miles from where I have lived since I was 10 years old.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

Thanks for the quiz.  That was a lot of fun!  Apparently, Stockton, CA, has a number of southern roots.

The quiz put me between NYC and Soringfield MA. I was born in New York City and have lived in central Connecticut since I was small.

This child of 1952 thinks that the names of our generation (Linda, Janet, Sharon, Donna, Kathy, Joyce, and so on) will get popular when our grandchildren start naming their kids, because everybody loves Grandma. Nobody wants to name a baby after that bitch who grounded you for flunking algebra.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived