IGNORED

How to plan holiday meals, Teri Maxwell style

mango_fandango

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One year (we can't do it anymore because my aunt moved out of town, leaving us down a kitchen), we had an Iron Chef competition for Christmukkah Day dinner where my mom and I bought two sets of semi-random ingredients, divided the family into Team Our House and Team Aunt's House, and made grandma and the little cousins the judges. To this day it's one of my fondest holiday memories.

I'd love to do something like this!

What's interesting about the Maxhell menu is that you never see a source of protein like roasted chicken or ground beef -- a couple of staples in our house.  I guess maybe those things (burgers, at least) are for special occasions in Maxhell?  They seem to eat a fair amount of cheese (or cheese-food, per the "wrapper" story with Teri), so maybe that's their main protein most of the time.  I saw a comment on their blog once asking if they were vegetarian, and they responded they are not.  

Another staple in our home is pasta.  It's cheap and easy to feed a large crowd.  No mention of pasta on the Maxhell menu.  

Finally, they may add jalapeno to their bean burritos but no spices simply because I'm not sure they've had "real" Mexican food living in Kansas and all.  I have been told good Mex is hard to find in them there parts.

Authentic Mexican food would be a little more difficult to find in their area of Kansas (extreme Northeast), however, some authentic Mexican is not super spiced up. Parts of Kansas do actually have high populations of people of Mexican heritage. In my suburban-ish (south-central) town alone we have 4 Mexican restaurants that are owned by a combination of non-native to 2nd (and 3rd) generation families. Most of their cuisine tends to be on the mild and not overly seasoned side, which I believe speaks to their native regions in Mexico, not necessarily the menu being "Americanized" or "Kansanized".

Authentic Mexican food would be a little more difficult to find in their area of Kansas (extreme Northeast), however, some authentic Mexican is not super spiced up. Parts of Kansas do actually have high populations of people of Mexican heritage. In my suburban-ish (south-central) town alone we have 4 Mexican restaurants that are owned by a combination of non-native to 2nd (and 3rd) generation families. Most of their cuisine tends to be on the mild and not overly seasoned side, which I believe speaks to their native regions in Mexico, not necessarily the menu being "Americanized" or "Kansanized".

I would wonder about that.... Chiles are very important to Mexican food. The stuff I've had in the Midwest is completely different from what's served in CA. Never underestimate a restaurant's ability to modify their meals for their customer base.

We always eat the same thing for thanksgiving-- and we like it. We also loooooove the leftovers. That's part of the holiday fun for us: getting to eat food we don't eat often. Why on earth would we want to work to eliminate leftovers? Especially those of us who are still poor college students.

My family also has certain dishes that are Thanksgiving staples, and we all love leftovers. One thing I love with the leftover turkey is making turkey tetrazini. After Christmas, a favorite way to use leftover ham in addition to sandwiches is a casserole with potatoes, ham and cheese.

Totally Soubding like a broken record here but has the road trip post gone? Or is it just me that can't see it?,

I can see it.

She's allergic to chicken and turkey? That's bad luck "providence".

fixed that for you.

Even if Terri is allegeric to chicken and turkey, that is no reason why the rest of the family has to abstain.

Totally Soubding like a broken record here but has the road trip post gone? Or is it just me that can't see it?,

It is still there for me, as the post about Sarah's book.  It was never called a road trip by the Maxwells, it just says in the last para that Sarah has been visiting some small towns.

There have been a few threads lately with titles that are wild exaggerations of the actual blogs that the OP is following.  I thought it might be a new "thing" to overhype stuff, in the absence of any major scandal. :)

I would wonder about that.... Chiles are very important to Mexican food. The stuff I've had in the Midwest is completely different from what's served in CA. Never underestimate a restaurant's ability to modify their meals for their customer base.

I agree. I live in the Southwest and love Mexican food. I like to try it on road trips because I enjoy tasting the regional variations. The worst Mexican food I have eaten was in Wichita. The enchilada sauce was merely pureed tomatoes and salt, no other seasoning. The cheese? Velveeta. Now, Velveeta can make a tasty hot dip when mixed with other ingredients, but as a topping for burros and enchiladas it doesn't work well. I'm not saying all Kansas Mexican restaurants are the same, but I'd be leery of trying any others because of my experience. It could have just been a bad restaurant, though, and not indicative of local tastes.

A salad as a side does not need ham or cheese or fatty, sugary dressing. A spicy, delicious French Vinaigrette (sp?) will suffice. That is, if the main course is balanced, filling, and nutritious. 

My heart weeps seeing what workforce and kitchen supply they have and how little they put either to use. I don't know if food is described often in the Bible but fwiw, if it is, the Maxwells could allow themselves a tiny bit of creativity by cooking biblical food or stuff like that. (The Maxhells shop at Costco for crying out loud. There should be more options to it than burritos and salad almost the entire week)

I guess my own creativity is already too much at work here for Maxhell standards. Off to the prayer closet to not let it become an idol....

Which Maxboy was it who got "loves to eat leftovers" written About him in a birthday post?

I remember that.  I think it was John.  It was so strange that it was written like an accolade.  Like, oh thank god we can get rid of this extra food by John eating it. 

They really do seem to have issues with food, don't they?

OTOH, Sarah has written about walking to a nearby convenience store for treats, and there's those pictures of a chocolate bar next to Mary's drawing table, so they do indulge at least sometimes.

I agree. I live in the Southwest and love Mexican food. I like to try it on road trips because I enjoy tasting the regional variations. The worst Mexican food I have eaten was in Wichita. The enchilada sauce was merely pureed tomatoes and salt, no other seasoning. The cheese? Velveeta. Now, Velveeta can make a tasty hot dip when mixed with other ingredients, but as a topping for burros and enchiladas it doesn't work well. I'm not saying all Kansas Mexican restaurants are the same, but I'd be leery of trying any others because of my experience. It could have just been a bad restaurant, though, and not indicative of local tastes.

Whoah. What was that place? Try El Rodeo next time. My parents and I go there when we visit, and I think it's good, though I am no connoisseur.

Oh, something on topic... I like to make turkey soup with my leftovers. Cook up some celery, carrots, potatoes, frozen corn, a few secret spices, add turkey, cream, and thicken. (I like my soup really thick. I hate runny or wet food.) 

Even if Terri is allegeric to chicken and turkey, that is no reason why the rest of the family has to abstain.

These are the Maxwells. Of course they'd have to abstain. Just because.

They do like spicy food though—there was a least one post that mentioned it and they used to grow a lot of chiles when they had a garden—so I don't understand why everything they eat looks and sounds so bland.

This thread is making me salivate for my favorite T-giving dessert:  Seconds on dressing and gravy!!!!

what we grownups (who are used to exercising our free will and powers of logical thought) are missing here is that Maxhell devotees tend to be frightened, self-doubting seekers of family strength and harmony.  I saw it at the seminar I attended. The followers very much want the sunshiney, sparklingly serene life that Steve and Teri present.  The followers are mostly unsure if they're doing things right, and they look desperately to Maxhell for direction and affirmation. 

I remember the woman whose eyes were brimming as she told me gratefully, "They [Maxwells] don't look down on you."  Her friend nodded vigorously. These women were well into their 30s and still looking for guidance. 

I guess their own families of origin didn't provide it. I'm pretty confident their own backgrounds were not blissful like they see the current Maxwell situation being. 

So while we chuckle and snicker and wonder (Chez  Junebug NEVER has too many leftovers! It's just a physical impossibility!), 99% of their readers gobble up the advice like fresh hot smashed potatoes with melted butter. FWIW. For me, it's sad because so many don't have the joyous memories of T-day that I do. (RIP, ElderJunebugs!)

On thanksgiving my family usually tries at least one new recipe but not this year. there are only 6 of us this year and so we decided to have a simpler menu of turkey, garlic mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, a vegetable or two and then raspberry cheesecake because everyone was sort of meh about pumpkin pie.

On thanksgiving my family usually tries at least one new recipe but not this year. there are only 6 of us this year and so we decided to have a simpler menu of turkey, garlic mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, a vegetable or two and then raspberry cheesecake because everyone was sort of meh about pumpkin pie.

I think six or a little more would be my ideal number. I cook for four, and it's just not enough. We eat leftovers for daaayyyss.

Normally, I love leftovers but for some reason, I never, ever eat Thanksgiving stuff after Thanksgiving even though I love it. I have no idea why but I've always been like that. On the other hand, Mr. Sparkles, who NEVER eats regular leftovers, can't get enough at Thanksgiving. 

Not sure what our Thanksgiving will be like this year. My parents were the only ones with enough room to accommodate the family but they moved to an apartment last year. We managed then but it was tight. This year though, since there was a lot going on with my dad healthwise, we decided no one needed the extra stress so we made reservations to go out for the first time ever, which just feels so weird. But even that's in jeopardy after my dad fell and shattered his elbow a few weeks ago and developed a wicked MRSA afterwards. He should be out of the hospital by Turkey Day but with a PICC line, so going out may not be feasible. We'll do something together though, even it it's just having sandwiches. The food is a plus but for us, Thanksgiving is really about family.

I agree. I live in the Southwest and love Mexican food. I like to try it on road trips because I enjoy tasting the regional variations. The worst Mexican food I have eaten was in Wichita. <snip>. It could have just been a bad restaurant, though, and not indicative of local tastes.

The only way I would eat Mexican food in The Heartland is if I found a taco wagon parked next to a service station or behind a home improvement store (which are the two locations where I've had the best luck finding one). Basically, wherever you find Mexican and Central American laborers, you'll usually find a truck that serves real Mexican food.

Having the same food every holiday doesn't bother me. A lot of people like having their family traditions. The "after-action" reports are stupid, though. It sounds like it's just adding more work to holiday planning. There's nothing wrong with leftovers, Terri! Throw some of it in the freezer if you're afraid of everyone getting bored with them.

I would think making everyone bored would be seen as a good thing in Maxhell.

Beef? Pork? Lamb? Fish?

contrary to maxwell belief, there are other animals besides chicken and turkey

I am really surprised at how little protein, particularly meat-based protein, is in their diet.

It's so weird to me that a religious family doesn't even have a pot roast on Sundays. Maybe it's a Catholic thing, but the families I knew growing up who went to church and spent the day together had a bigger, fancier meal on Sundays to mark the day as special. 

Has Steve written before about abstaining or limiting consumption of animal flesh? I wonder if he considers it too indulgent for Christians. 

Archived