IGNORED

Courageous by the makers of Fireproof

sableduck

Has anyone else heard about this movie? Fireproof was popular with a lot of people in the firefighting crowd even the non religious ones so with this movie coming out and being about cops a lot of people I know want to see it, fireproof was overly saccharine and had poor acting but I thought it was.harmless. Anyway I am readingthe.bookcompanion to Courageous and am really concerned. It seems to go off the patriarchy deep end. from being heavy on the man being the leader and wifely submission to a father making his daughter promise to allow him to determine who she develops a relationship with. I know a lot of non fundies who are really excited about this movie as well as it being released and promoted by pictures.

I have seen the preview and it looks like it is all about fathers that change their parenting style kind of.

I havent seen fireproof not sure it is my kinda thing!

I was at Barnes & Noble yesterday and saw a display of novelizations of Courageous, Fireproof, Facing the Giants, and Flywheel. Not sure if that will be in all locations, it's probably in my local store because they have freakin' huge Christian Fiction section.

This is why I prefer to stick to religious fantasy like Narnia or Lord of the rings, fantasy is the one thing I know fundies would hate. Dougie called Narnia 'Paganistic and Pantheistic' and another fundie critic said that Dryads/Naiads were actually demon seductresses like the Whore of Babylon. Fundie Films are too religious-centered,

At least Fantasy leaves room for the imagination.

to a father making his daughter promise to allow him to determine who she develops a relationship with

What is up with fundie men having an interest in what their adult daughters do with their vaginas? Seriously, it's none of those men's business.

What is up with fundie men having an interest in what their adult daughters do with their vaginas? Seriously, it's none of those men's business.

I know right? My dad can't acknowledge I wear a bra.

Slight detour--I saw "Left Behind" finally and could not get over the ridiculousness. I mean, I was hit by such weirdnesses as a transatlantic flight having only one flight attendant.

Slight detour--I saw "Left Behind" finally and could not get over the ridiculousness. I mean, I was hit by such weirdnesses as a transatlantic flight having only one flight attendant.

LOL - we actually saw this one while on a church mission trip and even the pastor was cracking up at how bad it was. For your viewing pleasure, the Simpsons parody episode (Left Below) is much much better.

This is why I prefer to stick to religious fantasy like Narnia or Lord of the rings, fantasy is the one thing I know fundies would hate. Dougie called Narnia 'Paganistic and Pantheistic' and another fundie critic said that Dryads/Naiads were actually demon seductresses like the Whore of Babylon. Fundie Films are too religious-centered,

At least Fantasy leaves room for the imagination.

It's funny that he is against Narnia and LOTR because both were written by devout Christians and have heavy Christian themes.

I love them both, but Narnia is so Christian it is almost Veggie Tales.

I saw a bit of it being filmed, I live where they filmed it all. To bad I didn't know about the Duggar's being in it a little.

Exceprts from the book version of Courageous:

Nathan is talking to his wife, Kayla...

"I just think if God has made me responisble for this famil,y He's given me the authority to lead it. And, Kayla, I know young men,w hat's inside of them, way better than you do. The question is, do you really want me to lead? Because when I do, it means sometimes I'll lead us where you may not want to go."

Kayla shook her head. "I'm not so sure about all this. I think of myself as your equal."

"So do I. Always. You have equal value, equal wisdom, far greater beauty and charm. In a lot of ways, you're smarter than I am. But remember, the leader answers to God. It's not an easy job." (pages 227-228)

Here, Nathan has taken his 15-year-old daughter, Jade out to a fancy restaurant and is going to present her with a gold and diamond ring if she promises to stay pure.

"Jade, I know how young men think. They want to win your heart, but they don't know how to treasure it. So I'm going to ask you something....If you'll trust me with your heart and allow me to approve any young man that desire to have more than a friendship with you, then I promise to take care of you and give you my full blessing when God shows us both who the right one is...Jade, will you trust me with your heart until God shows us the right man?"(page 314)

"It's funny that he is against Narnia and LOTR because both were written by devout Christians and have heavy Christian themes"

C.S Lewis was an Anglican, a theist evolutionist and opposed theocracy. Tolkien was a Catholic.

Maybe those are the good reasons why Dougie would be against them. His son called the Catholics 'Papists' and he pretty much is wanting to have a theocracy.

I was at Barnes & Noble yesterday and saw a display of novelizations of Courageous, Fireproof, Facing the Giants, and Flywheel. Not sure if that will be in all locations, it's probably in my local store because they have freakin' huge Christian Fiction section.

I saw the novelizations of Courageous and Fireproof at a Wal-Mart store in my area recently. I'm going to a BN store sometime this week and I wouldn't be surprised if the Courageous book is there. The two BN's in my area both have big Christian fiction sections.

ugh not sure I'd make it after Fireproof and how shocking it was. if it's not about anger then maybe...

I think it's pretty awesome those fundie men know what a person truly thinks in their head.... BWAHAHAHA.

I bought it at my local wal-mart, which doesn't have a Christian section. I know Wal-Mart sometimes carries more conservative books though. I am just concerned with teh messages in the book, and I am assuming they will be in the movie, and that this movie seems to be spreading into the on-fundie circles.Hopefully people will see the nonsense for what it is.

I love how the father goes from a-hole to saint, puts on a big domination ceremony, then tries to take control of the daughter's vag. A better novel would be from the daughter's view - jerk of a dad gets wacky religion and tries to enslave her to the patriarchy. Why would she have ANY motivation to trust a man like this with intimate, personal decisions?

I love how the father goes from a-hole to saint, puts on a big domination ceremony, then tries to take control of the daughter's vag. A better novel would be from the daughter's view - jerk of a dad gets wacky religion and tries to enslave her to the patriarchy. Why would she have ANY motivation to trust a man like this with intimate, personal decisions?

so if I understand their movies, christianity is only for jerks? Good to know I have a free pass...

"I just think if God has made me responisble for this famil,y He's given me the authority to lead it. And, Kayla, I know young men,w hat's inside of them, way better than you do. The question is, do you really want me to lead? Because when I do, it means sometimes I'll lead us where you may not want to go."

Kayla shook her head. "I'm not so sure about all this. I think of myself as your equal."

"So do I. Always. You have equal value, equal wisdom, far greater beauty and charm. In a lot of ways, you're smarter than I am. But remember, the leader answers to God. It's not an easy job." (pages 227-228)

This one makes me shudder. Especially when I know that this will be spread into mainstream Christianity. Fireproof at least had a good message, even if it was poorly executed. This just sounds like an awful message from the start.

Here, Nathan has taken his 15-year-old daughter, Jade out to a fancy restaurant and is going to present her with a gold and diamond ring if she promises to stay pure.

"Jade, I know how young men think. They want to win your heart, but they don't know how to treasure it. So I'm going to ask you something....If you'll trust me with your heart and allow me to approve any young man that desire to have more than a friendship with you, then I promise to take care of you and give you my full blessing when God shows us both who the right one is...Jade, will you trust me with your heart until God shows us the right man?"(page 314)

Guest Anonymous
[This one sounds slightly more reasonable, especially if the child isn't an adult. I believe that both young men and young women should seek their father and mother's advice about potential marriage partners. Personally, I have never seen a happy marriage where the parents didn't approve of the partner.

I've seen quite a lot of happy marriages where one or both sets of parents disapproved. Anecdata is fun! :?

omg. assuming these are verbatim quotes from the actual book, wow.

let's just set the themes aside here, and say that the writing is TERRIBLE. ugh! it's like it's written for third graders.

To Trynn: I find it interesting that you find the whole submission thing "shudder" -able, but the conversation from the dad to the daughter better... when really, it's that dad-daughter conversation ("Allow ME to approve any young man" instead of trusting her own judgment) that sets up a brain for the whole submission thing. After all, you have to learn that your own opinion doesn't count or isn't as wise or Godly from somewhere...

Archived