IGNORED

The Pope Visit and the Fundies (MERGE ALL POPE VIST THREADS)

0 kids n not countin

PP jumped on the band wagon-Sun screaming feast "Pope Francis and his lies".

Enjoy-it is basically the same old thing with a new introduction. BORING :cray-cray:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that the new goal? No one tells me anything.

Oh well, I still have no intention of letting anything interfere with my system of giving zero fucks about what others believe so it's okay that I didn't get the memo.

(I gotta tell you, ideology aside evangelism seems like a lot of work and if I did that who would lay on my couch?)

No the RCC new goal is not to be evangelical like the way protestants or we use it here on FJ. Evangelical in RCC circles mean, speak up, be proud you are Catholic and talk about your faith. When I think of evangelical I think of banging someone over the head with the "right" bible and speak everything in verse and giving all credit for every little thing to God (like he cares that the peanut butter sandwich landed PB up instead of down on the floor when the toddler throws it from the high chair). I have always heard share your faith and sometimes you share it he most by doing what is right and helping others - not speaking at to people.

Yes. I've heard the whole Catholics are not Christian thing quite a bit. I spent about 5 years in a church that was pretty much fundie-lite. I came from the Catholic Church and most of them pretty much told me Catholics weren't Christian. Interestingly enough, most people couldn't tell me why though. :think: left that one when I realized for them, my being in my thirties and not married was for the most part not acceptable.

I know the pope is part of what they don't like. Heard all the possibilities. Personally, I like Pope Francis, as long as he stays out of politics...the pope discussing climate change was a little much during his visit. However, It is actually quite refreshing to hear a pope talking about taking care of the poor and vulnerable.

His talk about climate change is about taking care of God's planet and we don't have the right to pollute everything and to use all the resources in the name of corporate greed. He was really calling out corporate greed again (cutting corners to avoid OSHA or to make an extra buck). I think all church/synagogue/mosaic/temple/etc leaders should talk more about not only being stewards with our own talents and money but also being good stewards to the earth to live on and resources that we were given to live off from.

Yes. I've heard the whole Catholics are not Christian thing quite a bit. I spent about 5 years in a church that was pretty much fundie-lite. I came from the Catholic Church and most of them pretty much told me Catholics weren't Christian. Interestingly enough, most people couldn't tell me why though. :think: left that one when I realized for them, my being in my thirties and not married was for the most part not acceptable.

I know the pope is part of what they don't like. Heard all the possibilities. Personally, I like Pope Francis, as long as he stays out of politics...the pope discussing climate change was a little much during his visit. However, It is actually quite refreshing to hear a pope talking about taking care of the poor and vulnerable.

Aside from real Christianity being inherently political - Christ was a political agitator, don't forget that - discussing climate change IS talking about taking care of the poor and vulnerable. Or were you unaware that the poorest are suffering the most from climate change? Climate change is something that mostly harms the poor whilst being created by the rich - that is a social issue, not a purely political one. It is also hugely relevant to the Pope's bringing up of Dorothy Day, and the role community can have in alleviating poverty.

On the Bayly Blog, Gary Knapp says that if the Pope had any decency, he’d commit suicide:

I have often wondered what I would do if given an opportunity to address the leaders of our nation. I know what I would like to think I would do, but sadly, I know myself too well. I know that, apart from a great grace from God, I would play the coward and preach to please men—not God. So I trust that if I were given such an opportunity and President Obama, Vice President Biden and Speaker Boehner applauded me after my message, I would go out and hang myself.

baylyblog.com/blog/2015/09/pope-francis-apostolic-preaching

On the Bayly Blog, Gary Knapp says that if the Pope had any decency, he’d commit suicide:

baylyblog.com/blog/2015/09/pope-francis-apostolic-preaching

:wtf: is all I've got

Well, the Pope IS the Anti-Christ, at least to the WELS Lutheran Synod.

I'm getting sick of the crazy just to be crazy faction in the US. It's getting to be a bit much.

Isaac Newton seemed to think so too, but what did he know?

Isaac Newton was around at a time when Catholics in England were heavily persecuted, it was the norm for Protestants then to feel that way. It isn't anymore. Not quite sure what you're trying to say.

Isaac Newton was around at a time when Catholics in England were heavily persecuted, it was the norm for Protestants then to feel that way. It isn't anymore. Not quite sure what you're trying to say.
Just making a joke, poorly. Also it's an interesting fact that Newton wrote about that, but most people aren't aware of that, or of his work with optics. Today he's just remembered as the "apple falling out of the tree" guy. :lol:

Archived