IGNORED

I Wonder if the Duggar Scandal Will Prompt a New Look

GenerationCedarchip

With the Duggar scandal being so high profile, I wonder if the media will start taking more of a look at some of the abusive situations that have come up among leaders in fundie-dom. I keep thinking of the Disharoon stuff and of the situation where Doug Wilson was involved in having an abuser marry someone in the church (Sitler might be the name?)

There are many wonderful, well-pastored churches out there, but there are some truly abusive and messed up ones, too.

I really wish this would prompt a more in depth look at these cults claiming to be Christianity. The big problem is the good churches are too scared to speak out against them. Most Christians are never taught the horrible things the Duggars, etc. practice and why. So when the crap actually hits the fan all these unknowing Christians start crying foul. It just seems to be a never ending cycle.

I hope this type of exposure along with even brief segments like John Oliver's last week will help open up more investigations of these churches cults. I would really like to see the federal government taking a much closer look at their tax exempt status and accounting practices. My guess is a lot of them might be in the same situation as Al Capone. Can't get them on what you really want to charge them with but could probably charge all of them with shady tax practices of some sort or another.

I hope this type of exposure along with even brief segments like John Oliver's last week will help open up more investigations of these churches cults. I would really like to see the federal government taking a much closer look at their tax exempt status and accounting practices. My guess is a lot of them might be in the same situation as Al Capone. Can't get them on what you really want to charge them with but could probably charge all of them with shady tax practices of some sort or another.

same, i hope this does make people take a serious look at cults. John Oliver actually made a real difference, the irs might investigate. bustle.com/articles/105952-the-irs-might-investigate-televangelists-after-john-olivers-scathing-segment-elicits-criticism-from-all-over

Did you see the fake TBT pic he did with Rachel Dratch? hilarious.

post-10046-14452000762061_thumb.jpg

I hope it does, but I don't think it will reach the target audience. The people who need the wake-up call the most don't associate themselves with terrible actions like hypocrisy and affairs. (Unless they're secretly doing those things)

I think we're going to see the fundie world double down on vague scripture about redemption and turning the other cheek and forgiveness instead of having an honest discussion about human nature, and how people are people, no matter what god they happen to believe in.

This quote's from Jingo and I think it fits the fundie mentality nicely.

'It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was Us, then what did that make Me? After all, I'm what of Us. I must be. I've never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of Themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.' -Terry Pratchett

I think the mention of turning the other cheek is a good point - people are so unaware of how Scripture gets misused in these circumstances.

For example, turning the other cheek is about STOPPING wrong action, just doing it without violence. At the time of Jesus, if someone hit someone else it was always with the right hand, since the left hand was for washing yourself and was unclean. By turning the other cheek, you are stopping the person from hitting you because they can't use their left hand. So making Josh face justice for his crimes (whatever that looks like) and Anna leaving her no-good excuse of a husband would be the real turning of the other cheek here.

Also, people forget when reading the passages about forgiveness and dealing with things as a community that the Christians of the time were living under what was essentially a police state, and were at risk of imprisonment or worse if they took things to the Roman authorities. Dealing with things as a community kept the community safe - it is rather different for modern Christians like the Duggars living in a heavily Christian area.

I think there will be press on this but those that are intrenched don't care. They are following their "beliefs". It would only further the rest of us to reaffirm their lunacy!

If the IRS had more resources, they could almost certainly find cause to investigate many, many churches - not just fundie ones - for electioneering. All nonprofits, including churches, are forbidden from endorsing specific political candidates. Any time a minister endorses a candidate in church, or as an official representative of that church, they are violating their 501c3 status and could potentially lose their tax exemption.

I personally am a strong believer in the separation of church and state and would be all in favor of overtly political churches being investigated.

I think the mention of turning the other cheek is a good point - people are so unaware of how Scripture gets misused in these circumstances.

For example, turning the other cheek is about STOPPING wrong action, just doing it without violence. At the time of Jesus, if someone hit someone else it was always with the right hand, since the left hand was for washing yourself and was unclean. By turning the other cheek, you are stopping the person from hitting you because they can't use their left hand. So making Josh face justice for his crimes (whatever that looks like) and Anna leaving her no-good excuse of a husband would be the real turning of the other cheek here.

I dunno. I've heard this before and I dunno how much I really believe it. I mean, if I'm about to deck someone and they move so I can't use my designated holy hitting hand and I have to use my poo-hand instead...I'm still angry enough to hit them so why would I care?

I dunno. I've heard this before and I dunno how much I really believe it. I mean, if I'm about to deck someone and they move so I can't use my designated holy hitting hand and I have to use my poo-hand instead...I'm still angry enough to hit them so why would I care?

I don't think you understand the strength of the taboo. It was (and still is in some places) incredibly taboo to use the left hand for anything. The anger wouldn't stop that. It's not about having a 'holy hitting hand' and nowhere did I mention that, it's just the incredibly strong social taboo against touching others with the left hand - especially in hot countries with poor sanitation.

I'm not sure how you can not believe it given that it's not a matter of faith, but just social context provided by people who know and understand that period of history? Not me just to clarify, but it's not like you have to be a Christian to believe this for example.

It bothered the heck out of me that mainstream media like People magazine and Good Morning America just fawned over this family.

I have facebook friends who aren't the least bit fundie who thought the Duggars were just adorable. :roll:

Maybe some good will come out of this and people who thought families/cults like this are harmless will rethink.

Maybe People magazine and GMA will rethink putting people like this on a pedestal.

What I wish would come out of it is that those still firmly in a fundy world would start to see that cracks in their foundation. It does not work. There is no magic formula for raising perfect children and the system that is in place in many of these patriarchal groups is so damaging and abusive to both women and children. I also feel it raises men who are hyper sensitive sexually speaking as they have been raised with warped views as to what is sexual and not and to regard almost every inch of a woman's body as sexual. Hence they have stupid surveys like the one that the Rebelution did that defined a v neck as problematic and q 1/2 inch heels the same.... Sigh...

Archived