IGNORED

man allows daughter to drown. being rescued is dishonoring.

FundieWatcher

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womeninthewo ... e-rescuer/

Many of the world's problems could be solved if:

A. Normal people could understand why being rescued means being dishonored.

B. How being rescued effects honor.

C. How someone could watch their daughter die and how they could fight the people trying to save her.

I wish I could get inside their heads and understand what went wrong.

Oh my gosh. That's horrible. He should be facing charges much worse than just interfering with a rescue attempt.

I agree. Like how about murder?

If anyone wants to argue that feminism is not needed I would point to the fact this man thought death for his daughter was better than being pulled out of the ocean by a male. And he thought the choice of as to she lived or died was his to make.

I feel like throwing up.

Really? REALLY? You'd rather your child DIE than be touched by someone of the opposite sex? I'm speechless.

ETA I can't imagine the horror of spending your last few seconds of life knowing that your father, the man who helped GIVE you that life, is now the one taking it away from you.

Just when I think I know the depths to which people can go, simply because they are assholes . . .

Did I just miss it, or is there no reference to when it happened, not even a vague one, in that article? Some of the quotes sounded like the official being interviewed was referring to something well in the past, and all of the new sources I tried (I admit, I didn't go through them all) referred back to that article.

Do we know when this happened?

This man did this because of his religion right? So he believes his daughter's life is a gift from god. And he thanks god for this life by letting her drown unnecessery. How can he think his god will see this as a good thing? He probably thiks he's going to heaven for doing this.

and yes, I hope he's being charged with something more severe.

Sorry -- you're right. I was looking at that one, and that is one I noticed most other places linking back to. I forgot it was one link away from the one posted above.

There are hundreds of thousands of men just like him who migrate to the west and bring their view on women and "honor" with them and get away with it. We don't want to offend anybodys religion or cultural practices, right? :roll:

I wish the feminists would roll up their sleeves and take on the Middle East, they sure have a more important job to do there than to complain about manspreading on the tube.

I am taking this story with a grain of salt, as it has no specifics as to time, where the man was from, etc. How exactly does this father physically prevent both lifeguards/potential rescuers from going after his daughter, even if he is strong and tall? I've googled and found little except retelling of the same story on different sites.

We believe it because his attitude has been played out before, but the lack of specifics makes me wonder... but I'm very cynical.

There was once a emergency doctor on a German talk show who spent some time in Iran (I think, forgot the exact country) for voluntary work and he said that he had to leave houses without helping because the sick person was a woman and he was a man. He wasn't allowed to help because he had to touch the woman and that was not allowed by the husband. I think he also mentioned a situation where the patient died because of that.

EDIT: He was pretty emotional when he talked about that story. He said something about feeling so helpless. I wish I could find the show or an article about it. Fellow Germans he was a guest on "Markus Lanz".

My husband just read this an said he would knock the father out and try to rescue the daughter. His instinct is to render aid. I just can't fathom that a parent would rather their daughter die than be rescued.

My husband just read this an said he would knock the father out and try to rescue the daughter. His instinct is to render aid. I just can't fathom that a parent would rather their daughter die than be rescued.

At least in the U.S. I don't think this could ever fly legally. I mean, the woman was 20 years old and clearly calling for aid. Her father can't stop others from providing aid to an adult who is asking for it. It does make me wonder/worry about the legality of doing this for a minor.

There was once a emergency doctor on a German talk show who spent some time in Iran (I think, forgot the exact country) for voluntary work and he said that he had to leave houses without helping because the sick person was a woman and he was a man. He wasn't allowed to help because he had to touch the woman and that was not allowed by the husband. I think he also mentioned a situation where the patient died because of that.

EDIT: He was pretty emotional when he talked about that story. He said something about feeling so helpless. I wish I could find the show or an article about it. Fellow Germans he was a guest on "Markus Lanz".

I imagine most of those same people would not be okay with women having a career, even as a doctor or nurse, so I guess they are against women receiving medical care?

I imagine most of those same people would not be okay with women having a career, even as a doctor or nurse, so I guess they are against women receiving medical care?

Iran actually has a large number of female doctors for this very reason. Actually, Khomeini was not against women in the workforce at all--as long as they were segregated from men. There are female doctors in Saudi Arabia too (though they are limited in the medical fields they are allowed to practice in). The only Islamic regime I've ever heard of being against female doctors/nurses was the Taliban.

I feel like throwing up.

Really? REALLY? You'd rather your child DIE than be touched by someone of the opposite sex? I'm speechless.

ETA I can't imagine the horror of spending your last few seconds of life knowing that your father, the man who helped GIVE you that life, is now the one taking it away from you.

People never cease to amaze me. What a horrible story. I know what I'm about to say is not even close to what happened here but it reminded me of when I was in cult college. There was to be absolutely no touching between the opposite sex unless they were married. It was forbidden. (even between siblings) and there were times I'd see a guy & girl on a date & she slipped on the ice & fell & he just stood there & watched her fall since he wasn't allowed to touch her! :roll:

I'm glad her father got arrested. What a piece of shit. I hope he is haunted by what he did for the rest of his life. Karma is a bitch. Oooh that really pisses me off.

To generalize, which is not cool, I know. Uber-religious men = fucking assholes.

Hate is a strong word. I hate this man and the asshole on the plane and the assholes who outright murder their daughters because they got themselves raped by other asshole men.

And the patriarchal Fundie assholes.

They are all assholes.

I am taking this story with a grain of salt, as it has no specifics as to time, where the man was from, etc. How exactly does this father physically prevent both lifeguards/potential rescuers from going after his daughter, even if he is strong and tall? I've googled and found little except retelling of the same story on different sites.

We believe it because his attitude has been played out before, but the lack of specifics makes me wonder... but I'm very cynical.

UAE, 1996. NYT amended their story. The story at Emirates 24/7 states the man who allowed his daughter to die was "Asian."

Great reporting overall.

Or, the young girls who were forced back into their burning dorm building because they were not adequately covered and might arouse desire in rescuers. It is better, in their minds, for young girls to burn alive, than to expect men to save a life without having impure thoughts.

According to Saudi press reports the blaze at Mecca Intermediate School No. 31 started at about 8am. The blaze began in a room on the top floor, apparently caused by an unattended cigarette.[3][4][5]

As a result of the fire and ensuing rush to escape, 15 young girls died, and more than 50 were injured. Nine of the dead girls were Saudis; the rest were from Chad, Egypt, Guinea, Niger, and Nigeria.[4] The majority of the deaths occurred when a staircase collapsed as the girls fled the building. The residential property upon which the school was built, being overcrowded with 800 pupils, was unsuitable. In addition, the building may have lacked proper safety infrastructure and equipment, such as fire stairs and alarms.[2]

According to at least two reports, members of the Committee for the Propagation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (CPVPV), also known as Mutaween, would not allow the girls to escape or to be saved from the fire because they were "not properly covered", and the mutaween did not want physical contact to take place between the girls and the civil defense forces for fear of sexual enticement, and variously that the girls were locked in by the police, or forced back into the building.[2][6] Civil Defense stated that the fire had extinguished itself before they arrived on the scene. CPVPV officers did appear to object to Civil Defense workers going into the building - Human Rights Watch quoted a Civil Defense officer as saying,

"Whenever the girls got out through the main gate, these people forced them to return via another. Instead of extending a helping hand for the rescue work, they were using their hands to beat us."

The CPVPV denied the charges of beating or locking the gates but the incident and the accounts of witnesses were reported in Saudi newspapers such as the Saudi Gazette and Al-Iqtisaddiyya. The result was a very rare public criticism of the group.[6]

Also criticized was the General Presidency for Girls' Education (GPGE), which administers girl's schools in Saudi Arabia".[2]

Similar incident[edit]

There was another similar incident in 2014; a female student at a Saudi university died after being denied access to advanced medical assistance because the paramedics were male. Senior members of the faculty prevented the paramedics from entering primarily because the student was not fully covered and they did not want to get into trouble for having men in close proximity to her. This caused many Saudis to vent their anger and question the University's policies. [9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Mecc ... chool_fire

Archived