IGNORED

Ex-Hasid Jumps to Death in NYC

DomWackTroll

Let us not forget that all her female siblings and nieces etc will also see their marriage chances diminish now that there is mental illness, suicide and otd issues in the family. Ohla lets not marry our previous pious sons into that nest !

So I just read the Daily Mail article (I read the NY Post one when I first looked at this thread) and this stood out:

[Faigy's mother] Chava Mayer told Daily Mail Online: 'I don't want to say anything. What am I supposed to say: That she's a wonderful person? No, we don't want to comment.'

I just. Ugh. I can't imagine thinking/talking this way about your own daughter while at the same time acting like you're devastated she's gone.

The marriage issue is really key. In the insular groups, having a kid leave the lifestyle affects ALL the unmarried children in the family. It is practically a form of collective punishment. Raise a backslider and no one of any standing will allow any of their children to marry any of yours. Not marrying is a disaster in these societies. There is no way under that kind of pressure that the parents are going to be tolerant of children who do not completely toe the line.

• 3 months later...

To blame both suicides on mental illness, not that that may have played a role, seems like an easy out.  If in fact these women did suffer, did the family do enough to provide help? Especially after the first girl in July.  So sad--may they both rest in peace.

To blame both suicides on mental illness, not that that may have played a role, seems like an easy out.  If in fact these women did suffer, did the family do enough to provide help? Especially after the first girl in July.  So sad--may they both rest in peace.

According to another article the second daughter, Sara, has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years including spending the last two years as an inpatient before being released last week, so there were attempts to provide help. BUT the article also notes that several years ago she was forced to marry a first cousin (the marriage appears to have been the catalyst for her mental issues and was annulled after a few months) and that there was ongoing abuse from at least some family members.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/24/sister-found-hanged-was-forced-to-marry-her-first-cousin/

Archived