IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose *cringe*

happy atheist

I think this was discussed before, but there's no way this house is 1100sq ft. Unless the rooms are hobbit-sized, it's definitely bigger than our (admittedly spacious for the 4 of us) 1100sq ft apartment. Is it because the kids' bedrooms and bathroom are partially below grade and don't count?

It's a lovely house, and if she's as organised day-to-day as she is when taking photos for a Babycenter feature, I can see this setup almost working.. if the kids were spending most of their days at school, sports, activities, etc. But the mere thought of spending nearly 24/7 in that tiny schoolroom and sardine-can bedroom, with no escape, especially as a teenager, makes me feel like I'm suffocating. Of course, introvert Erika can always escape alone into the luxury of her huge master bedroom. *fume* *scowl* *grit teeth*

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had 4 kids in a 1500 sqft townhouse and felt like I was going to suffocate. We now have 4 adults, 1 toddler, 2 dogs and 3 cats living in a 3200 sqft house and there's enough room that we can ALL get away from each other. There's NO way I could live in Erika's house with all those people.

I think this was discussed before, but there's no way this house is 1100sq ft. Unless the rooms are hobbit-sized, it's definitely bigger than our (admittedly spacious for the 4 of us) 1100sq ft apartment. Is it because the kids' bedrooms and bathroom are partially below grade and don't count?

It's a lovely house, and if she's as organised day-to-day as she is when taking photos for a Babycenter feature, I can see this setup almost working.. if the kids were spending most of their days at school, sports, activities, etc. But the mere thought of spending nearly 24/7 in that tiny schoolroom and sardine-can bedroom, with no escape, especially as a teenager, makes me feel like I'm suffocating. Of course, introvert Erika can always escape alone into the luxury of her huge master bedroom. *fume* *scowl* *grit teeth*

Right. The lower bedrooms don't count in the square footage.

I had 4 kids in a 1500 sqft townhouse and felt like I was going to suffocate. We now have 4 adults, 1 toddler, 2 dogs and 3 cats living in a 3200 sqft house and there's enough room that we can ALL get away from each other. There's NO way I could live in Erika's house with all those people.

Erika doesn't allow her kids to be alone for too long. The whole reason she doesn't let the older kids have their own rooms is because then they'll become selfish and want to spend all their time alone instead of with family. She actually has to schedule alone time for two hours so that they can all have a break for each other.

Off topic: I have a feeling this has been discussed before, but Erika did schedule kids' nappy changes, at two hour intervals, unless they had a pooey/wet diaper before that. Thankfully she doesn't seem to schedule toilet breaks.

But in Sheldon Cooper/Erika Shupe world, the bowel and bladder needs of everyone would be scheduled.

Erika doesn't allow her kids to be alone for too long. The whole reason she doesn't let the older kids have their own rooms is because then they'll become selfish and want to spend all their time alone instead of with family. She actually has to schedule alone time for two hours so that they can all have a break for each other.

Off topic: I have a feeling this has been discussed before, but Erika did schedule kids' nappy changes, at two hour intervals, unless they had a pooey/wet diaper before that. Thankfully she doesn't seem to schedule toilet breaks.

Erika was one of my first fundies. A mommy's board posted a link to her home and was confounded by the math & square footage; the discussion went on for pages. I'd gotten so caught up in the math that I hadn't bothered to read the comments, but one of the other mommies mentioned how cruel people were being to her for her life choices. Then I read on and discovered how horrific those "life choices" were for her kids.

Those two hours of "quiet time" sound so bizarre to me. Imagine being surrounded by people in that tiny space, but no talking allowed -- and we know that Erika will ensure those rules are enforced. So odd.

I am rather introverted by nature (maybe it's that only child thing again...) and I LIKE being alone. That's why we always have rather large houses. I NEED to be able to get away from the family, the TV, whatever and just contemplate the fuzz in my navel or the mysteries of the universe. Right now I'm up in my office working on something and happily alone with my computer and my tunes and trying to think of how to write out what I need to write.

I could NOT imagine being stuck with 10 other people in a house the size of Erika's and not able to GET AWAY...I'd be seriously hiding in a bathroom...but I think that if the bathroom use isn't on Erika's schedule...then someone would be in trouble.

So guys, Erika asked a question on FB about an hour ago about language learning.

We are hoping to enable our children to learn a language that is very practically used.

Good. I was wondering about their lack of languages. I know it's not part of the GED (not that Erika's going to make her kids complete the GED) but is *usually* a high school graduation requirement (correct if I'm wrong, or maybe different regions do different things). So, Spanish or French, right? (I don't hold out much hope for German since like nobody seems to learn it these days... I do, as part of my degree, and in my final year I was one of two students, so to come to uni and find other Germanists was pretty weird for me).

Nope!!

We're wondering about them possibly studying Greek or Hebrew to aid in Biblical studies.

It just HAD to be Bible-related, didn't it? Ugh. "Very practically used" my arse. It's not exactly practical if the whole reason you're learning is so you can read the Bible. Isn't KJV enough?? I know some fundies probably do get their kids to do this, plus some who might not be so fundie, but I just find the words "very practically used" to be just odd. People in the comments suggested Latin, and some Spanish (which is way more 'practical' IMO). Practical to me means a modern language, aka there are still people who speak the language.

I do languages as a degree so I'll have a different perspective on this to some of you FJers, but anyone else think this usage of "very practically used" is just weird?

So guys, Erika asked a question on FB about an hour ago about language learning.

Good. I was wondering about their lack of languages. I know it's not part of the GED (not that Erika's going to make her kids complete the GED) but is *usually* a high school graduation requirement (correct if I'm wrong, or maybe different regions do different things). So, Spanish or French, right? (I don't hold out much hope for German since like nobody seems to learn it these days... I do, as part of my degree, and in my final year I was one of two students, so to come to uni and find other Germanists was pretty weird for me).

Nope!!

It just HAD to be Bible-related, didn't it? Ugh. "Very practically used" my arse. It's not exactly practical if the whole reason you're learning is so you can read the Bible. Isn't KJV enough?? I know some fundies probably do get their kids to do this, plus some who might not be so fundie, but I just find the words "very practically used" to be just odd. People in the comments suggested Latin, and some Spanish (which is way more 'practical' IMO). Practical to me means a modern language, aka there are still people who speak the language.

I do languages as a degree so I'll have a different perspective on this to some of you FJers, but anyone else think this usage of "very practically used" is just weird?

Weird and very awkward.

That is weird. Good luck to the kids, Ancient Greek is no walk in the park, especially without a proper teacher around.

If I had to live with either the Maxwells or Erica *cringe* Shupe, I think I'd really have to toss a coin and let the fates decide. I don't know which would be worse. Probably Erica's house would be worse.

That is weird. Good luck to the kids, Ancient Greek is no walk in the park, especially without a proper teacher around.

No lie. I studied classics as an undergrad, and am about to work on it more as a graduate student. I tried to teach myself Koine and quit after one lesson. Unlike some other languages, it's definitely (for me, and for many at least) a "must have a teacher" kind of language.

If I had to live with either the Maxwells or Erica *cringe* Shupe, I think I'd really have to toss a coin and let the fates decide. I don't know which would be worse. Probably Erica's house would be worse.

Life would be hell in both households and you would be abused physically and emotionally to basically the same extent, but given the apparent lack of rebellion among the Maxwells, whereas Erika herself tells us about her eldest's restlessness, I'd say with the Dhupes you'd have a shot at not having your soul completely broken. Maybe Erika is just so obviously a monster that not even her attempts at brainwashing and taming her children can blind them to the truth. Maybe it's just impossible not to know she's nuts and in a horribly destructive way. With Steveovah and Terified things look less violent, less histerical, less "I'm going to lose my temper and beat the living shit out of you if you so much dare to go to the bathroom when you're scheduled to be [insert chore of choice]"...I just think explosive abuse is easier to ackowledge and bear than twisted, manipulative abuse. At least, that's my experience.

No lie. I studied classics as an undergrad, and am about to work on it more as a graduate student. I tried to teach myself Koine and quit after one lesson. Unlike some other languages, it's definitely (for me, and for many at least) a "must have a teacher" kind of language.

They offered Ancient Greek as a GCSE at my school (exams we do at 16) and a fair few took it up. The majority were also doing Latin. Then, at A-Level, one person did it. They had one-on-one lessons with the teacher.

Their lessons are likely to be entirely Bible based, which would miss out a major part of the culture. Learning a language isn't just the actual physical language acquisition, you study the culture too. When my friends at school did Latin, the literature they studied was fairly 'explicit' (at least, it would be to fundies.) I assume the Ancient Greek literature was relatively similar.

And interesting that Erika mentions Hebrew too. It always struck me as more a language a Jewish kid would learn. The only instance where I've seen it outside of that context (i.e. learning at a synagogue) was as an optional language if you were doing Theology as a degree... so, in that case, there isn't really a 'very practical usage' for Hebrew apart from reading the Bible. At least with Greek it's not just related to the Bible (although that would be the case with the Shupe kids).

ETA: There's been an update!!

WOW! So many good recommendations! Thanks! I did learn from one friend that many colleges won't accept Greek, Hebrew, or even Latin. *sigh* Bob and I will have to discuss this fact further... Might have to stick with Spanish, as we do have a huge Hispanic community around us anyway...

Sounds weird that she mentioned colleges. I thought she said somewhere that they'd be doing a homeschool college type thing eg CollegeMinus? The girls wouldn't be allowed to go to college anyway.

Then, in a response to someone who said "Just because a college won't accept it doesn't mean it won't be useful," Erika says:

Oh of course, but right now I'm just trying to get my bases covered well. We'll do other education also later.

Those kids aren't going to college. Between the edjumacation they get from somebody proud of not knowing how to spell, and how the aren't allowed to budget their on time or do their own things, those kids will be lucky to get into CollegeMinus. But since that's all about CLEPs, and those kids will probably need years of remedial classes, I don't think they'll get to do it. Erika only views jobs for the girls as time-killers until they get husbands.

But in Sheldon Cooper/Erika Shupe world, the bowel and bladder needs of everyone would be scheduled.

But Sheldon has gone head to head with his devout Christian mother over matters of faith. Sheldon + Erika = nuclear implosion!

..../snipped

After that sentence from Erika, perhaps it might be worth trying English.

I speak a few languages and am learning a few "hard" (non indo-European) ones. Frankly, nothing has been as hard as Ancient Greek so far. And it's being the kids' first foreign language won't help one bit.

Why would a college not accept Latin as a foreign language? It's offered in many high schools, and tons of homeschoolers choose it as well.

Erika really needs to teach herself and her kids decent English before she even thinks about adding a foreign language, living or dead, to her SOTDRT.

Erika really needs to teach herself and her kids decent English before she even thinks about adding a foreign language, living or dead, to her SOTDRT.

:agree:

Too bad I'm only allowed to "like" this one time.

The weird thing to me is that it sounds like she thinks some languages are impractical. Like, maybe by number of speakers, maybe, but as far as kids learning?? Learning another language has more benefits than just being more obnoxious about the bible.

Why not let the kids you know...chose one they are interested in?

The weird thing to me is that it sounds like she thinks some languages are impractical. Like, maybe by number of speakers, maybe, but as far as kids learning?? Learning another language has more benefits than just being more obnoxious about the bible.

This IS the same woman who thinks you can't learn anything by reading fiction, so I'm sure the benefits of foreign language study are way beyond her comprehension :roll:

This IS the same woman who thinks you can't learn anything by reading fiction, so I'm sure the benefits of foreign language study are way beyond her comprehension :roll:

I clearly forgot the golden rule of Erika -- no bright light, don't get her wet, and never ever apply logic.

This is a woman who won't let her children pick their own flavor of jelly bean out of a tub. Why would she let them pick something as big as a language to study?

Archived