IGNORED

Josiah Duggar - Part 3 Now with lost heart pieces

happy atheist

Nah, they were just courting. He asked her to court on camera. The thing is that when these people (well, the Bates family at least) begin courtships, they go to such incredible (and cheesy) lengths that it looks like an engagement.

But isn't he essentially asking her to marry him if he does not have the ability to break it off with her?

I can't imagine being in a situation where you are courting a shrew and you an't get out of it ;-P. Worse is being a woman who is being courted by a man who doesn't want her and she doesn't get that or she doesn't care and figures he will grow to love her.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously, in high school all i did was math, language and billogy and things like that. How do classes in the states work? The system seems to be really different

When I was in high school we did "family studies". It was more or less a course about what babies are and how to take care of them. There was a little bit of sex ed thrown in but mostly about self development and learning what to expect in adult hood when it comes to raising a family. There was stuff about nutrition, too. Feeling good about yourself and being respectful of others.

I also did home economics where I learned sewing and cooking skills. In later years it became foods and Sewing. Sadly the foods course was reserved for the kids that were in the vocational stream and training as kitchen workers while taking the academic requirements like English 12.

There was also Industrial Education which gave an overview of woodworking, welding, mechanics etc. In the later grades that partitioned off into specific trades training. Sort of a pre-apprenticeship course.

I took sewing right up into grade 12 and I was still in the university prep program.

I also did consumer education 12, which was pretty useful. It taught us how to pay bills, what a mortgage is, how to protect your credit score, how to make a budget and live within your means, basic accounting, how to save, how to invest.

Sadly, I think these types of useful programs are the first thing to go when the govt wants to make cuts and it is to the detriment of the population.

All these types of courses are what the Duggars are missing out on by being homeschooled. Maybe they get some consumer education because that is mostly book learning. However it is clear that few of them know how to cook despite that industrial kitchen. Jana can sew so that is a start.

In 5th grade my Hebrew school taught us about ceremonies to mark different life events (birth - bris or naming, bar and bat mitzvah, wedding, funeral) and had fake little ceremonies to show what we learned that our parents were invited to. I brought in a doll to get fake circumcised :lol:

Thats actually pretty practical religious education. Highly ritualized faiths can be hard to learn. Honestly, that is so cute!

Did you hear about that unfortunate story about the Orthodox Moyle (I think that is what they are called) who had herpes and passed it to the babies? Horrible! I hope it encouraged a change to safer practice.

Poor Josiah, I so feel sorry for him, especially as its such a tough time for his family right now and having to deal with a break up during that just sucks...but in a way, Im glad he will not be married so young and be unable to choose anything but having as many babies as can possibly be born.

Seriously, in high school all i did was math, language and billogy and things like that. How do classes in the states work? The system seems to be really different

I'm American, and none of that was taught in the secular schools near me. Home economics and Vocational Agriculture were electives. I chose music as my elective. I played the flute.

I'm American, and none of that was taught in the secular schools near me. Home economics and Vocational Agriculture were electives. I chose music as my elective. I played the flute.

I lived in both rural and urban areas and in the rural schools we got Agricultural education as an elective, as well. I never took it, but it was all about animal husbandry and region appropriate crops.

The scary thing is when I moved from the country to the city. The old district was using a very out of date biology textbook called "Animals without Backbones". I spent a lot of time learning that book and was shocked to learn that it was completely out of date and no longer useful. I don't think the teacher even knew.

In 5th grade my Hebrew school taught us about ceremonies to mark different life events (birth - bris or naming, bar and bat mitzvah, wedding, funeral) and had fake little ceremonies to show what we learned that our parents were invited to. I brought in a doll to get fake circumcised :lol:

My Hebrew school brought in a mohel who had a cucumber wrapped in a pantyhose to demonstrate what a circumcision actually looks like. We also had a Rabbi who incorporated Bob Marley in some of the youth services. Ah, Reform Judaism.

So how do you think this break-up went? I'm imagining that since the Jacksons didn't actively support the Duggars during their crisis, the Duggars decided that the Jacksons aren't on board, and dumped them?

In our small town we had home ec but no family living type things . But anyhow those courses at least then it seems they centered on marriage because that's expected. i mean, there are all kinds of living situations you could be in as an adult.

I havent read all these comments yet but people who beleive like JB and Michelle often say physical aspects of the relationships are not important, but once the ring goes on it's a complete 360.

Perhaps Marjorie and Josiah eloped...

I would have been at least a little supportive if they had eloped because it would have shown that they meant business about taking control of their lives. Typical teens eloping is just them trying to show "the man" who isn't controlling the that they can't be controlled, but for fundies, it would be HUGE.

Since they didn't elope, I'm relieved for them that it's over.

Each school is kind of different in how the classes are offered. My school switched to block scheduling my sophomore year of school. So, my freshman year, we had 8 class periods (the first was 0 period starting at 7:45 am) and each lasted 45 minutes. We had 5 minute passing periods, and we also had homeroom on MWF (where we got announcements and stuff) and mentoring on T/Th (kind of like homeroom, but we also did things like receive report cards, talk about issues we had with classes, did scheduling for the next year's classes, etc) for 10 minutes. With block scheduling we had A days and B days. We had 7 class periods and collaboration (a class period that floated around time slots and was meant for assemblies, working on projects, meeting with teachers, etc). A days had 1-4, with 4 being after lunch. B days had 5-7 and C. An A day was always followed by a B day, so some weeks started with an A day and some started with B days. In both situations, you had the option of a free period, and were able to choose your free period. *edited to add that the passing periods and the mentoring/homeroom continued into the block schedule, plus we got a 10 minute passing period between the first and second period each day*

For graduation, you needed 4 years of each of the core classes (math, science, history, religion *I was at a catholic school*, and English), then you had to have 2 years of a foreign language, 2 semesters of PE, 2 semesters of art or music, 1 semester of computer classes, and the rest were electives. Freshman and sophomore year, your core classes were chosen for you. And, health class, which was also a PE class, was Freshman year. Junior and senior year, all the classes you took were optional, with the exception of math, which you took as you progressed (so if you stared with Algebra, sophomore year would be Geometry, junior year would be Trigonometry, and senior year would be Pre-Calc. If you started with Geometry, you would end with Calculus). Some classes were interdisciplinary, like you could take Death in Literature, which counted as both a religion and an English course; and Bio Ethics counted as a science and religion class. The more interdisciplinary classes you took, the more other classes you could take. Marriage was counted as a religion class at my school. Any class period that wasn't needed for a required was used for electives.

Nah, they were just courting. He asked her to court on camera. The thing is that when these people (well, the Bates family at least) begin courtships, they go to such incredible (and cheesy) lengths that it looks like an engagement.

singsingsing I need to tell you how much a LOVE your current avatar. Like, I can't get over it. It's Gandalf. In a Canadiens jersey. It's. Gandalf. With number 11 (Koivu or Gallagher?) Canadiens jersey. The awesomeness is too much. :worship:

I might add, because the thread is about Josiah after all. This might be the first Duggar news that actually makes me feel relieved. These two were way too young. However, I doubt Michelle and Boob will change their views on courtship. Ma and Pa Duggars have shown many times that when things go wrong, they end up being more strict and severe, without even trying to use their brains and think of why it didn't work out in the first place.

The only thing I can hope it that after this experience, Josiah can look back positively on it. He probably won't for the moment, but I hope he's able to draw some conclusions of his own even if it's only in a few years. Also, it's an occasion for him to get to grow and mature a bit, all in the process of learning more about himself. I know I didn't really know myself when I was his age.

Each school is kind of different in how the classes are offered. My school switched to block scheduling my sophomore year of school. So, my freshman year, we had 8 class periods (the first was 0 period starting at 7:45 am) and each lasted 45 minutes. We had 5 minute passing periods, and we also had homeroom on MWF (where we got announcements and stuff) and mentoring on T/Th (kind of like homeroom, but we also did things like receive report cards, talk about issues we had with classes, did scheduling for the next year's classes, etc) for 10 minutes. With block scheduling we had A days and B days. We had 7 class periods and collaboration (a class period that floated around time slots and was meant for assemblies, working on projects, meeting with teachers, etc). A days had 1-4, with 4 being after lunch. B days had 5-7 and C. An A day was always followed by a B day, so some weeks started with an A day and some started with B days. In both situations, you had the option of a free period, and were able to choose your free period. *edited to add that the passing periods and the mentoring/homeroom continued into the block schedule, plus we got a 10 minute passing period between the first and second period each day*

For graduation, you needed 4 years of each of the core classes (math, science, history, religion *I was at a catholic school*, and English), then you had to have 2 years of a foreign language, 2 semesters of PE, 2 semesters of art or music, 1 semester of computer classes, and the rest were electives. Freshman and sophomore year, your core classes were chosen for you. And, health class, which was also a PE class, was Freshman year. Junior and senior year, all the classes you took were optional, with the exception of math, which you took as you progressed (so if you stared with Algebra, sophomore year would be Geometry, junior year would be Trigonometry, and senior year would be Pre-Calc. If you started with Geometry, you would end with Calculus). Some classes were interdisciplinary, like you could take Death in Literature, which counted as both a religion and an English course; and Bio Ethics counted as a science and religion class. The more interdisciplinary classes you took, the more other classes you could take. Marriage was counted as a religion class at my school. Any class period that wasn't needed for a required was used for electives.

Whew Now need an aspirin after all this

We had textile work(sowing etc) and technical works(woordworks mostly) in primary school and secondary school.

home economics(cooking, planning for cooking(in the school's kitchen(no cantinas school was half-days)),

economy/politics in year 9-12 where you learn about current politics and economy and taxes

dependin on school you could have different electives which were mostly the teachers hobbys really, like at my schools there was photography class(in the own development room of the school) or a html publishing class, europe gegraphy, or EU(including a week long trip to the institutions of EU in strasbourg france) or a class about drugs(obv not the hobby of the teacher LOL) an art class only about print works(in the traditional sense nothing ro do with a computer print) theatre class some classes were more some less serious.

the standrad subjects were maths, german, english, geography, history, biologuy, chemistry, physics art, PE, RE(until 9 then it could be swapped with philosophy classes), music, swimming in year 5/6 music until y6,

I think the ifference between schools in germany/europe in general and the US is very different. we have a grades based system, you write test(not multiple choice you have to think for yourself) and the grades you get for your classwork and participation in lessons become your report grade, all report grades (in germany and some others states theyre are numeral) and divide them by the number of subjects and youve got your average.

unless you have elcetives, you are one class, there are no deviations from that. and the teachers come to your class in germany, instead of you going to the teacher s room. (except for science rooms, and arts and other special rooms)

The staff room is the teachers room only.

recess is (can vary) is after every unit(ten/15 min or 20 min depending on school)

I heard Pierce the Veil and Sleeping with Sirens and came running to see what people were talking about :D

Does that mean I'm not fired from posting? :cracking-up:

HS graduate early 70s. Mid-Atlantic region.

There were phases:

Dating

Exclusive

Steady, with high school rings exchanged;

pre-engaged, with a specific double heart with microscopic diamond pre-engagement ring;

and engaged, which usually happened after the HS graduation, but only shortly after;

then the marriage.

This must still be a "thing " because the daughter of a friend got "pre-engaged" with a small diamond ring before she got her engagement ring about a year later. She'll be married next year.

This very well might be a Midwestern thing but dating equals exclusive/steady around here (or at least it did when I was a teenager which wasn't that long ago). If it helps, I started dating my now husband at 16 (he was 15). When we started "dating," it was an unspoken agreement that we were exclusive and "going steady." This was the norm with my friends who had dated before me as well. We dated for about 2 years before he gave me a "promise ring" (not a diamond ring, it was cubic zirconia) meaning that we'd get engaged when we felt the time was right. We got engaged about a year later and were married 8 months after that. This was from 2004 to 2008 and we've been married since then.

Background: He grew up Southern Baptist and I did not but joined an Independent Baptist church when I was ~14 years old. I left that church (too fundy for me) and joined his church. We both left his church after our wedding mostly for reasons related to our wedding (they made it difficult probably because they didn't think we were old enough to get married).

Now that I think of it, casual dating is a bit more common now. My nephew is 19 and dated a lot casually before he started dating his serious girlfriend. But they live together and he's saving up for an engagement ring right now. Young marriage is quite common around here.

We did the marriage and baby thing in senior Bible class. I practiced divorcing a controlling husband (our teacher was Not Happy when she found hat out) and I did the baby assignment twice for extra credit.

When I was in high school (90's, Catholic school, midwest), people "dated" which meant they were exclusive. If they were not-quite-exclusive, we always said "talking." Like - "Sarah is talking to Brian." Seems kind of strange sounding now though. I only knew maybe one couple who did the whole "promise ring" thing. Never really heard of anything as far as "pre-engagement."

Dating

Engaged

Married

That's pretty much it.

I missed the "family planning" class because I switched schools my senior year. But from what I understood it to be - it was a class that involved senior girls walking around with bags of sugar (sugar babies), and they learned things like "natural family planning," "waiting until marriage," "balancing a budget," and "filing taxes." It was part of the mandatory "religion" credit. However, I will say that even with the 'religion" classes, most students came out well prepared for college.

Thats actually pretty practical religious education. Highly ritualized faiths can be hard to learn. Honestly, that is so cute!

Did you hear about that unfortunate story about the Orthodox Moyle (I think that is what they are called) who had herpes and passed it to the babies? Horrible! I hope it encouraged a change to safer practice.

OMG that's awful. Generally brises are pretty safe, I don't know what happened there.

My Hebrew school brought in a mohel who had a cucumber wrapped in a pantyhose to demonstrate what a circumcision actually looks like. We also had a Rabbi who incorporated Bob Marley in some of the youth services. Ah, Reform Judaism.

Lol what on earth. That's so strange yet intriguing. Even the youth services at my synagogue were pretty cut and dry, just shorter than the adult services with some education thrown in. My Hazzan did tell my Hebrew school class that he proposed to his wife by singing "Dammit Janet" from Rocky Horror.

OMG that's awful. Generally brises are pretty safe, I don't know what happened there.

Here is a news item about it: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015 ... /23798751/

Apparently, this extreme form of the ritual is rare now, but herpes is only one of many problems that could result. Just the bacteria from the mouth of the Mohel is enough to cause harm.

When I was in high school (90's, Catholic school, midwest), people "dated" which meant they were exclusive. If they were not-quite-exclusive, we always said "talking." Like - "Sarah is talking to Brian." Seems kind of strange sounding now though. I only knew maybe one couple who did the whole "promise ring" thing. Never really heard of anything as far as "pre-engagement."

Dating

Engaged

Married

That's pretty much it.

I'm 22 and this is still what I hear people say, they're "talking." It was really common a few years ago when I was in high school and generally talking meant that they were probably also "hooking up," so definitely still a thing.

I remember the only sex "education" I had in my PUBLIC school was abstinence only and then we had egg babies. I dropped mine.

My son got a robot baby that cried and demanded feedings and diaper changes. He was very excited about it and even bought it some little clothes. The principal at school was annoyed by all the disruption to take care of robot babies during school time and made them store the babies in a closet. Sadly, half of them cried themselves to death and the other half missed their feedings and starved.

My son was devastated so his teacher restarted his baby and let him keep it for an extra few days. :D Really.

My son got a robot baby that cried and demanded feedings and diaper changes. He was very excited about it and even bought it some little clothes. The principal at school was annoyed by all the disruption to take care of robot babies during school time and made them store the babies in a closet. Sadly, half of them cried themselves to death and the other half missed their feedings and starved.

My son was devastated so his teacher restarted his baby and let him keep it for an extra few days. :D Really.

Poor robot babies!

This made me LOL. I love it when people think babies are all just cute and what not. Sleep deprivation is real! Man, it can break even the strongest people.

I would love to see more of this in schools again. Give them some Monopoly money and make them pay daycare diapers etc and watch them all have anxiety attacks about it. (Yes, the newborn phase traumatized me...twice!) :lol:

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived