IGNORED

YES ON MARRIAGE EQUALITY!!!

VelociRapture

Loved being able to wake up to this wonderful news! Congratulations to all who can now be married to the one they love! :gay-rainbowflag: :gay-rainbow: :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy::happy-wavemulticolor:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is about time! I am so happy to see this.

I wonder how many of those that pledged to divorce or set themselves on fire will follow thru..

I hope this isn't a spoiler but for those who have seen the movie Kingsman: The Secret Service, a certain scene in which multiple heads explode (it isn't gross...but it is colorful) probably resembles what is going on in Fundi-World right now. I can't help but think that the extremist reactions to gay people in general and gay marriage in particular have come back to bite them in the butt. They have been so shrill, strident and hateful that people reacted negatively to the opposition and were more drawn to acceptance of gay marriage. This is just my unscientific observation.

I hope this isn't a spoiler but for those who have seen the movie Kingsman: The Secret Service, a certain scene in which multiple heads explode (it isn't gross...but it is colorful) probably resembles what is going on in Fundi-World right now. I can't help but think that the extremist reactions to gay people in general and gay marriage in particular have come back to bite them in the butt. They have been so shrill, strident and hateful that people reacted negatively to the opposition and were more drawn to acceptance of gay marriage. This is just my unscientific observation.

I totally agree with this. I went from not caring one way or the other, to being extremely for marriage equality when I heard what the people who were against it sounded like.

Now, where fid I put those marshmallows and chocolate bars. I hear there's going to be a bonfire. :popcorn2:

A right-winger pouted that it's not true marriage equality since incest and polygamy didn't get legalized. :lol:

So... they're willing to give lip service to relationships with proven genetic risks and abusive situations of power-imbalance in their argument against the ruling. It's the ridiculous, desperate, dying gasp of bad logic.

I haven't read the entire ruling yet, but it will be interesting.

supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf

For once I'm really, really enjoying all the butthurt conservatives whining about this because they lost this battle and no amount of complaining will change that. :D

As a lawyer (almost) and a lesbian, I was court-watching all morning, then quickly ran out to Starbucks. While there, my wife texted me the news.

And I sobbed into my coffee. Yes, really. This means that we can now safely visit Mrs. lawlife's family, since our marriage is recognized in emergencies there now (and all other times). No paperwork needed!

I woke up to my Facebook covered in rainbows. I'm so deliriously happy. I rarely, if ever, post, but damnit this is amazing!

Here in Georgia, they are already issuing licenses. I have several gay friends, and it makes me so happy that if they want to, they CAN get married. This day is truly one for the history books.

lawlife, congratulations! I hope you and your wife break out the champagne (or other drink of choice) tonight, and go and visit those relatives!

Here in Ingham County, MI -- (one county over from the Keilens!) -- they're already keeping county clerk offices open longer to get more people in. Some great pics of the clerks selfies with happy couples. LOVE.

No one on my Facebook is saying anything but good things. I want to read some crazy ranting too!

As much as this is good news, I fear that much like abortion red states will now start to come up with creative laws to make it hard for same-sex couples to get marriage licenses.

As a lawyer (almost) and a lesbian, I was court-watching all morning, then quickly ran out to Starbucks. While there, my wife texted me the news.

And I sobbed into my coffee. Yes, really. This means that we can now safely visit Mrs. lawlife's family, since our marriage is recognized in emergencies there now (and all other times). No paperwork needed!

I read this as "a lawyer and (almost) a lesbian" at first. :lol:

I'm so happy for you and your wife (and for same-sex couples everywhere in the US)!

What a relief!

Here in Georgia, they are already issuing licenses. I have several gay friends, and it makes me so happy that if they want to, they CAN get married. This day is truly one for the history books.

lawlife, congratulations! I hope you and your wife break out the champagne (or other drink of choice) tonight, and go and visit those relatives!

Yes, we're too broke to go out, but we are buying some inexpensive champagne and making pasta with salad and garlic bread here! So happy. It's Pride this weekend, and that is going to be CRAZY and historic. I'm so glad I've been bar preppin 12-13 hours a day this week, so I can have this weekend off!

I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet, so I'm not going to try to put a coherent sentence together, I'll just let the emoticons do my talking for me for now.

:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:

Yes, we're too broke to go out, but we are buying some inexpensive champagne and making pasta with salad and garlic bread here! So happy. It's Pride this weekend, and that is going to be CRAZY and historic. I'm so glad I've been bar preppin 12-13 hours a day this week, so I can have this weekend off!

So happy for you! Have a great time this weekend and good luck on the bar! :D

and it starts

Texas AG already challenging marriage equality ruling: “It is not acceptable that people of faith be exposed to such abuseâ€

(You know, I really really hate how focused the most visible LGBTQ movement is on marriage because there's soooo many more important issues that effect the day to day lives and survival of queer people much more that aren't being talked about at all and trickle down equality does n-o-t work)

I'm unstriking to address that, since this is being debated on my book of face this morning.

This ruling is far more important than I think it's being given credit for. Yes, there are other important issues too, but getting marriage equality send the strong legal message that the queer community's RIGHTS are EQUAL to the straight cis community. A lot of the problems about equal healthcare and other services is people haven't seen seen as having equal rights to equal access, but now sexuality can't be used against people since EQUAL RIGHTS MEANS EQUAL RIGHTS. You can get married, have the same rights as a married couple. I don't think there are really any rights for unmarried straight couples. Partnership rights come with marriage, and now that's equal.

This breaks down a lot more barriers than just having a marriage ceremony and filing taxes jointly. This wall coming down means that sexuality can't be used to deny equality.

I guarantee you that no matter what queer issue was on the table, marriage or any of the others, whichever one getting a favorable ruling would have some people saying the others are more important. Progress is progress, and this is the first time SCOTUS has made a ruling with this kind of an impact. Before, it was just no discrimination within the military. Now it's nationwide.

I'm especially happy since I have a cousin who is on his honeymoon with his husband, and when they return, their marriage will be valid at both California and the federal level. :cracking-up: :banana-rainbow: :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbowflag::gay-umbrella::happy-wavemulticolor::happy-cheerleaderkid:

Also, it's a big FUCK YOU to the fundies out there. :obscene-birdiered:

Such a huge step with even greater impact on people's lives. :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl::happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:

could not imagine this happening that fast - well deserved now it is real.

A toast to all newly weds - have a long happy married life!

I wanted to write something dripping with snark and contempt... but I can't! Yay, USA!

Archived