IGNORED

Derick quit his job at Wal-Mart!

SPHASH

I am not happy if they go to Nepal to be missionairies. The work Derick did before in Nepal was not relief or charity work, it was an attempt to convert people to their brand of Christianity. If they go, they will not only be trying to erase a culture, but they will be taking up valuable resources that could otherwise go to the needy. Since Derick has drank the Gothard koolaid, I wouldn't be surprised if their mission work was done through ATI's mission branch (the one that took JD and Jana to Asia). If that is the case, then I wouldn't consider Jill and Derick moving out of Boob's influence/life at all.

I really just hope he took a job elsewhere.

Seriously, the Dillards are just wasting their time in Nepal, because only 1.6 percent of the Nepalese are Christian and I doubt that the ones who are already Christian are going to be interested in the peculiarly American version that they'd be selling. :penguin-no: In fact, Nepal actually has an anti-conversion law, not that evangelicals care:

charismamag.com/spirit/devotionals/daily-breakthroughs?view=article&id=14090:evangelists-not-intimidated-by-nepals-anti-conversion-law-&catid=570

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow- did he even stay a year at WM? Working for the home office is actually a very good career- they have excellent benefits, pay, stock options and bonuses. I am thinking the Dillards are not planning on staying in the NW AR region for long if he left the biggest employer around.

I don't think this has anything to do with the scandal but had to be planned beforehand. I also agree that emailing his work account crosses a line. He had nothing to do with the scandal, but even if he did it's too much for me.

I sure hope they aren't going to go be missionaries. The world doesn't need anymore fundie missionaries.

FTFY. :wink-kitty:

I think it's great that they are headed off to Nepal. I just hope that TLC does not come along so that they can fully enjoy the experience. Plus, the people of Nepal do not need to be made into a spectacle, either, especially in their own time of distress.

Seriously, the Dillards are just wasting their time in Nepal, because only 1.6 percent of the Nepalese are Christian and I doubt that the ones who are already Christian are going to be interested in the peculiarly American version that they'd be selling. :penguin-no: In fact, Nepal actually has an anti-conversion law, not that evangelicals care:

charismamag.com/spirit/devotionals/daily-breakthroughs?view=article&id=14090:evangelists-not-intimidated-by-nepals-anti-conversion-law-&catid=570

I'd actually respect their decision more if they were going to actually provide aid work and not just try to convert people who are trying to put their lives back together. But, I'd say the usefulness of the skills an untrained "midwife" and an accountant who have to offer the people of Nepal right now are few and far between. But it'd be a nice photo-op for Jesus.

Derick is insane to give up a job with all those benefits and as added bonus it was full time

some of us - don't have that luxury - stupid Derick

If they're sticking around NWA, I hope Derick does have another job and was not planning on relying on TLC (ala Jon Gosselin) or JB Duggar.

I'd rather see them head to Nepal-

No, I do not think the Duggar debacle would affect his employment perspective, but I do think his lack of a solid work history in the US would. Let's face it, the man was not really at work enough to build a work history.

Derick has proven to be very immature, which is very disappointing.

I hope they are getting away from the mess. They can be an independent unit now. Maybe Nepal. They always said they were interested in international ministry.

If they're sticking around NWA, I hope Derick does have another job and was not planning on relying on TLC (ala Jon Gosselin) or JB Duggar.

I'd rather see them head to Nepal-

No, I do not think the Duggar debacle would affect his employment perspective, but I do think his lack of a solid work history in the US would. Let's face it, the man was not really at work enough to build a work history.

Derick has proven to be very immature, which is very disappointing.

I hope he has another employment opportunity, whether in NWA or somewhere else in the country.

He's only a few years post college and this is the time in one's life to build up your work history often moving around to different positions / employers. So therefore I hope it's a new job that will be a move up for him. However, Nepal might be the better option if it comes down to either that or relying on JB / TLC.

Derick has some unique family circumstances due to having married into a fundie dog and pony show. So not sure it's immaturity on his part but rather not yet quite living in the real world between being a part of a crazy fundie family and their reality show.

He's only a few years post college and this is the time in one's life to build up your work history often moving around to different positions / employers. So therefore I hope it's a new job that will be a move up for him. However, Nepal might be the better option if it comes down to either that or relying on JB / TLC.

Exactly, this is the time that accounting majors jump from position to position, building skill sets while they have the opportunity. Perhaps after a year in sales tax accounting, he decided to find a position in income tax, audit, etc.

This is prime hire season for accounting professionals - in between April and October deadlines, near quarters end and at the beginning of Summer. (Employees with school age children are twice as likely to move mid June than Mid November.)

I am trying to wrap my head around the idea of Derick moving his family elsewhere in AR or around the US, at this current time. His mother has been quite ill and his wife just had a baby. Would he really decide to quit a stable job and move his son away from his recuperating GM? In terms of family dynamics and stability, it seems like an odd time to pursue different employment.

I think a short term mission trip (with filming) and long term TLC employment was the likely plan.

Exactly, this is the time that accounting majors jump from position to position, building skill sets while they have the opportunity. Perhaps after a year in sales tax accounting, he decided to find a position in income tax, audit, etc.

This is prime hire season for accounting professionals - in between April and October deadlines, near quarters end and at the beginning of Summer. (Employees with school age children are twice as likely to move mid June than Mid November.)

Yep -- certain career fields work better with shorter terms in similar positions that focus on different skillsets. I just hope they have an actual plan and aren't digging deeper into Duggardom.

I wonder if Derrick gave notice prior to the scandal, thinking he can now join the TLC train full-time. When everything came out, he may have been too embarrassed to ask for his job back. Instead, he just went along with leaving the company. I find it strange that his reply states that he went to another job. The only ones I have seen have just said that the person is no longer with the company and directs you to someone else.

Yep -- certain career fields work better with shorter terms in similar positions that focus on different skillsets. I just hope they have an actual plan and aren't digging deeper into Duggardom.

To the bolded: that's exactly what I am hoping for. Derick has a good chance of building a successful career and a life of his own, meaning a life not dependent on JB, which looks to be Josh's fate now and perhaps Ben's if he doesn't smarten up.

Since Derick's wife just went on Fox News and gave a thoroughly WTF interview defending her brother's molestation of her and stating that she plans to treat her son like a child molester, too - just in case - I'd say that the likelihood of the Dillards getting out of Duggarland is slim to none. I think Derick drank the Kool-Aid and was just as seduced by the "fame" and "fortune" of the TLC gravy train as the rest of the lot. And, now they're angling for the mission trip and spin off.

I wonder if Derrick gave notice prior to the scandal, thinking he can now join the TLC train full-time. When everything came out, he may have been too embarrassed to ask for his job back. Instead, he just went along with leaving the company. I find it strange that his reply states that he went to another job. The only ones I have seen have just said that the person is no longer with the company and directs you to someone else.

While yeah, it's typical for an email like that to direct things to another person and not mention why the person left, there have been a couple of times I have seen it worded "as left XXX company for another opportunity" in those kinds of emails. It's not commonly done, but it doesn't ping me as particularly strange either. I am inclined to think that if he was embarrassed to ask for his job back and actually had nothing lined up, the email probably wouldn't be worded like that.

Honestly, he got the job while part of the D&P show. I doubt he was leaving because of it.

Derick might not be the man everyone was hoping he'd be, but I don't think he's a complete idiot. Even if the show looked good at the time, I doubt he saw it as a long term plan.

I hope they are getting away from the mess. They can be an independent unit now. Maybe Nepal. They always said they were interested in international ministry.

I hope they get away, but I sure hope missions is out. Nepal does not need two unskilled fundies with a baby telling people they are going to hell.

Honestly, he got the job while part of the D&P show. I doubt he was leaving because of it.

Derick might not be the man everyone was hoping he'd be, but I don't think he's a complete idiot. Even if the show looked good at the time, I doubt he saw it as a long term plan.

I can tell you it looks good to have Walmart Home Office on your resume/CV. Many other companies will snatch you up pretty quick if you are willing to move.

I hope they get away, but I sure hope missions is out. Nepal does not need two unskilled fundies with a baby telling people they are going to hell.

Just noting that Derick, at least, probably has the skill-set to be quite useful to a non-profit with his accounting degree/experience.

But you are 100% right in the second part of your post-- that Nepal doesn't need random foreigners telling them they are going to hell.

I can tell you it looks good to have Walmart Home Office on your resume/CV. Many other companies will snatch you up pretty quick if you are willing to move.

Agree, a former coworker of mine took a job at Walmart HQ after he left my workplace. He was there for only a year and it seriously boosted his career. In his case he made the move to AR without his family but was able to get an even better job afterward that was back home.

I don't know the world of accountants, so I can't say if this is a good career move or not.

Personally I think it is a bad idea- yet another thing I'm disappointed in the Duggar family about.

We have been hopefull as the Duggars dress less fundie, start to meet more people, Jill married an "outsider" with a small family, and a job outside JB. However, I continually to be disappointed in them not realizing that their way of thinking is fundamentally flawed. Maybe the Duggars will never write a tell all book. However, Maybe it will be DEREK who runs away eventually. I can see him happily going along with everything now as he is young and is now part of an exciting family and new adventures. When he gets older and has a hoard of howlers and little money and a wife who has some of the most bizzare thoughts on child molestation, maybe a lightbulb will go on and he'll remember his life in school and pre Duggars and bolt.

Archived