IGNORED

Derick quit his job at Wal-Mart!

SPHASH

I'll bet 2 cans of cream of mushroom and 2 cans of cream of chicken soup (as called for in the tater tot casserole recipe) that his new job is as a consultant for a TLC show.

Bad timing, red.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he's changed his mind about going to Nepal ( or if Jill has for some reason), they really messed up.

Is there some reason he cannot take his CPA exam and be a certified accountant?

I originally posted this in the Duggar General Discussion thread:

Regarding CPA Questions:

There are a few requirements. It may differ from state to state, but this is what my Fiance had to do in order to earn his certification in the state of Connecticut.

1. Hold 150 credit hours. 120 of those were for his Bachelor's degree. The extra 30 or so were for a Masters in Accounting. 36 credits must be in Accounting.

2. Work two years under the supervision of a CPA whose certification is active with the state. This can be completed working in public practice, government, or industry settings.

3. Pass all four parts of the CPA Exam. You must hold a Bachelor's Degree in order to sit for the Exam.

4. Pass the AICPA ethics exam.

Arkansas appears to be a bit more lenient:

1. Hold 150 credit hours, including a Bachelor's Degree. 30 upper-level hours in accounting or 20 graduate hours in accounting or a combination of both.

2. Pass all four parts of the CPA Exam. You must complete the education requirements before sitting for the Exam.

3. One year of experience through employment in government, industry, academia or public practice.

4. No ethics exam.

It is a very difficult path to try and accomplish, especially if you're married with children. The Exam itself is particularly difficult. Most people do not pass all four parts on their first try - and you only have 1.5 years from taking and passing the first part to pass the other three. It is not a career path for those who are unmotivated or unwilling to put in a lot of work.

I assume that Derick has at least 120 credits from his undergraduate degree. He would meet the requirement for how many of those would need to be in Accounting and he would likely meet the third requirement regarding experience (though it could depend on whether or not he worked under the supervision of a licensed CPA).

So, Derick would still need the additional 30 or so credits and he would need to pass the CPA Exam. He would have to complete the additional credits before sitting for the Exam and he would have only 1.5 years from the time he passes the first part to complete the remaining three parts.

So even if he wants to be a CPA one day, it would still be at least 2.5-3 years before he could accomplish that - that's being generous and assuming he completes the courses and all four parts of the exam on his first try.

I doubt that the scandal will affect his employment prospects unless he allows it to.

Which means don't bring it up, don't take off time to appear in whatever is the next version of the fundie family dog and pony show (the TLC show is done), don't have your needy wife show up to work every day though that's less likely the more kids they have. In short don't let it interfere with your own career if that's what you want.

Which means setting boundaries, maybe Derick is going to get some real life practice in that.

The scandal is more likely to associated with him while remaining at Walmart because it's local. He takes a job in some other part of the country where people don't know or don't care, he probably will be OK if he sets some boundaries for himself, for Jill and for his crazy in laws. Maybe he's doing these things already.

At least his last name isn't Duggar. At this point, all we know for sure is that he's no longer working for Wal-Mart. He either got a job with a different employer (hopefully one located closer to his own family and away from Ma and Pa Duggar), or maybe he and Jill really do plan to leave the country and become missionaries somewhere. Or third option - he's going to be self-employed as an accountant, and work out of his home. (Or 4th option - something I haven't thought of yet!) So many possibilities that I can't even guess at, so I'll just wait until we learn something more concrete.

I believe Derick was involved in a number of development projects while in Kathmandu, including building houses, schools, business, etc. He also taught at the schools there. In addition to being familiar with the Nepali language and culture, I don’t think it’s accurate to say that Derick has absolutely no valuable skill-sets to bring other than evangelizing to the mission field. As part of a Christian-based organization, it’s true he “purposed†to help spread the word of the Gospel to the locals. But it’s not like what people think about the Duggars on their missions, where all they did was walk around and hand out tracts. Derick and his team actually did some real work around the community.

They probably do need skilled workers to come help rebuild, but IMO it isn't a job for a family to go do, it probably won't be in the best interest of the local community for a lot of money to be spent shipping people over to help build things for free. Instead pay local people to do the work. And if they need training to do this work, bring very qualified people over to help train them. Like one of the neonatologists who worked with my daughter. She is currently in developing country caring for sick babies because there is literally not enough trained people to do it, but she isn't just going and doing the job, she is training local doctors too so that eventually she won't be needed.

Is Derrick going to do a job that there is no one in Nepal capable of doing? Is he actually needed or could the money be better spent paying and training locals to do the job? Is the help he doing going to help the community in the long term or is it going to hurt it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pippa-bid ... 34574.html

You see, the work we were doing in both the DR and Tanzania was good. The orphanage needed a library so that they could be accredited to a higher level as a school, and the camp in the DR needed funding and supplies so that it could provide HIV+ children with programs integral to their mental and physical health. It wasn't the work that was bad. It was me being there.

It turns out that I, a little white girl, am good at a lot of things. I am good at raising money, training volunteers, collecting items, coordinating programs, and telling stories. I am flexible, creative, and able to think on my feet. On paper I am, by most people's standards, highly qualified to do international aid. But I shouldn't be.

I am not a teacher, a doctor, a carpenter, a scientist, an engineer, or any other professional that could provide concrete support and long-term solutions to communities in developing countries. I am a 5′ 4″ white girl who can carry bags of moderately heavy stuff, horse around with kids, attempt to teach a class, tell the story of how I found myself (with accompanying powerpoint) to a few thousand people and not much else.

I don't want a little girl in Ghana, or Sri Lanka, or Indonesia to think of me when she wakes up each morning. I don't want her to thank me for her education or medical care or new clothes. Even if I am providing the funds to get the ball rolling, I want her to think about her teacher, community leader, or mother. I want her to have a hero who she can relate to - who looks like her, is part of her culture, speaks her language, and who she might bump into on the way to school one morning

Sadly, taking part in international aid where you aren't particularly helpful is not benign. It's detrimental. It slows down positive growth and perpetuates the "white savior" complex that, for hundreds of years, has haunted both the countries we are trying to 'save' and our (more recently) own psyches. Be smart about traveling and strive to be informed and culturally aware. It's only through an understanding of the problems communities are facing, and the continued development of skills within that community, that long-term solutions will be created.

I believe Derick was involved in a number of development projects while in Kathmandu, including building houses, schools, business, etc. He also taught at the schools there. In addition to being familiar with the Nepali language and culture, I don’t think it’s accurate to say that Derick has absolutely no valuable skill-sets to bring other than evangelizing to the mission field. As part of a Christian-based organization, it’s true he “purposed†to help spread the word of the Gospel to the locals. But it’s not like what people think about the Duggars on their missions, where all they did was walk around and hand out tracts. Derick and his team actually did some real work around the community.

Derick has absolutely no qualifications in any of those things, though. He is not a contractor. I'm pretty sure there are more than enough Nepalese people to do unskilled labor in Nepal. Derick was just playing around. Nepal does not need that again; especially not at a time when he and his family would just clog up scarce and valuable resources.

ETA: Aight, formergothardite was both quicker and more eloquent. So I'm just gonna say: what she said!

Another article that makes some good points about the problems of "missions" who aren't highly skilled workers that are actually needed.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19123_6- ... -help.html

Let's say you work in construction. One day, your neighborhood suddenly floods with energetic, iPod-toting young people who joyfully start doing the same job you're doing, but for free. Imagine the American immigration debate, only the immigrants have no skills, and they aren't just working for less money, but for free -- their only compensation being a series of photos about how caring they are posted to their Facebook pages when they get back home.

So the result is wonkily made houses sprouting up everywhere, built by people who don't know drywall from the holes they're putting in those walls, pushing local workers out of much-needed jobs and screwing up economies that are already screwed up enough to warrant charity work.

Long-term effects aren't much better if you're into helping children, either

But the most lasting good is done to the community by training other local teachers to teach English, and nobody wants to sleep with the guy who brings home pictures of himself surrounded by competent adults looking at books together.

I think it depends on the type of service organization they might be affiliated with. I know in my case I went to Haiti with a religious organization and we worked with women living in the tent cities to teach them a skill they could use to make a living. Sometimes the skill was as easy as a basic craft skill here in the US but the women were able to make and sell the items & start their climb out of the tent city towards a better life & away from the horrible living conditions and rampant sexual abuse that surrounded them. A staggering 90% of the women & girls we worked with had been sexual assaulted a least once. The family that ran the organization had small children and the wife was able to employ locals as a nanny and as a housekeeper which also allowed the wife to get to know them on a more intimate basis. I think it would be good for Jill to get out in the real world and live in a culture that would be foreign to her & where her religion is in the minority.

Just based on the timing, I would wonder if Wal-Mart asked him to resign because they don't want to be in the middle of the controversy over the child molestation?

Agree!!

On the show where Jill makes an important phone call (or something like that title) Jill asked Derick (auto correct thought that should be "der icky" :D ) what was he doing, "preparing evals for tomorrow?" 99% sure that was exact quote. I don't remember on the show where they said he was building or teaching anything. He did say when J & JR went to Nepal that he had done lots of hiking.

imb.org/giving/humanneeds.aspx#.VXie5snD-BY

I also looked up the imb types of work (a while ago and now) and it looks like unless you are a medical professional (and sometimes even if), it is evangelizing only.

Of course I may not have all the info, but I don't see where he was doing all these humanitarian jobs while there.

I think it depends on the type of service organization they might be affiliated with. I know in my case I went to Haiti with a religious organization and we worked with women living in the tent cities to teach them a skill they could use to make a living. Sometimes the skill was as easy as a basic craft skill here in the US but the women were able to make and sell the items & start their climb out of the tent city towards a better life & away from the horrible living conditions and rampant sexual abuse that surrounded them. A staggering 90% of the women & girls we worked with had been sexual assaulted a least once. The family that ran the organization had small children and the wife was able to employ locals as a nanny and as a housekeeper which also allowed the wife to get to know them on a more intimate basis. I think it would be good for Jill to get out in the real world and live in a culture that would be foreign to her & where her religion is in the minority.

My question would be, was there no one in Haiti who had these crafting skills and who was able to teach the women? If there really was no one, then, yes, you had a skill that was actually needed and it was wise to go. But if there were people who had these crafting skill and who were available to teach the women, then it would have been much better for Haiti in the long term for the money spent on flying you down there and paying for your living expenses while you were there to go towards paying these women to do the training.

Not really the point. He gets 3 months for fmla

FMLA is completely unpaid. The deal with that is that you CAN take 12 weeks off and they won't fire you for it. They'll give you your job or a "comparable position" back. But only if you've been there for more than a year which....has he? Most people can't afford to take FMLA and save sick/vacation time, or are lucky enough to work for an employer that pays you at least part of your salary for time. Most of the places that DO pay for baby-leave ONLY pay the female, or maybe the dad for 3 to 10 days. Not sure what WalMart's corporate maternity/paternity (that more forward thinking places are calling "parental" and making it equal between moms and dad) is but I doubt that it's particularly.....generous.

I agree - to a certain extent. I have a very good friend who goes to Haiti every year for a "mission" trip. It's through her church and she goes to help with an orphanage they run. She, too, helps teach the children skills they need in life. She doesn't go to spread christianity. She doesn't go to pretend she can build houses or teach kids English. She goes down to help out with the kids and just spend time with them and give them so much needed attention. What I respect the most about her in regards to her trips, is that she doesn't post pictures all over her Facebook. She does take some pictures and I've seen them, but they are never out for public consumption. She doesn't broadcast to the world what she's doing. It's just something she feels she needs to do.

My question would be, was there no one in Haiti who had these crafting skills and who was able to teach the women? If there really was no one, then, yes, you had a skill that was actually needed and it was wise to go. But if there were people who had these crafting skill and who were available to teach the women, then it would have been much better for Haiti in the long term for the money spent on flying you down there and paying for your living expenses while you were there to go towards paying these women to do the training.

It would also be more effective in the long term to just give money to schools and little league teams instead of buying their brownies and paying for their car-washes. In almost every case, fundraising and charity comes with some sort of benefit/product/experience to the person giving it. And that's not all bad. Because it makes people think about others and do things for others, and yes, sure, perfect world, we all just fork over all of our extra money to the less fortunate without anything in return but.... in the real world, some people just want to help people, or see other cultures, or spend part of a pre-planned vacation doing something worthwhile and that's better, to me than the actual $0 or no time/attention given by most others.

For all we know, Derrick took a job in Montana. Yes, we know he liked missionary work. His email said that he took another position. There is nothing wrong with taking a new job. I bet they were planning on announcing this as the "surprise" that we never got because of the scandal.

It would also be more effective in the long term to just give money to schools and little league teams instead of buying their brownies and paying for their car-washes. In almost every case, fundraising and charity comes with some sort of benefit/product/experience to the person giving it. And that's not all bad. Because it makes people think about others and do things for others, and yes, sure, perfect world, we all just fork over all of our extra money to the less fortunate without anything in return but.... in the real world, some people just want to help people, or see other cultures, or spend part of a pre-planned vacation doing something worthwhile and that's better, to me than the actual $0 or no time/attention given by most others.

I don't think it's right to use an impoverished people group as a tool to help ME think about others.

Here's my take on it-- get involved in local non-profits and volunteer your time there. That way, you are helping people who need it and helping foster a strong community.

To support overseas non-profits, donate money to them if you can manage it. Leave the work itself up to nationals and Westerners who can dedicate years of their lives to becoming a part of that particular community.

10 bucks says Jill finally convinced him to be the family accountant.

I'd believe it! It's got to be pretty distracting when you're on the cover of magazines that are at every checkout lane in your company. Can you imagine trying to get any work done after every phone call starts with questions about not only your new wife and baby but your in-laws, your TV show, your mom's health, the cat you dodged on a sled and which one of your wife's sisters is going to marry Tim Tebow. In their dreams...

So basically you think it is okay to cause long(and short) term harm to developing countries so that people can feel better about themselves?

If people are going to go over there just for themselves while giving no shits about how this impacts the lives of the people in the communities where they are traveling, they should at least be honest and not act like they are going to help others. These are real people, with real lives, they aren't objects to be exploited so people can feel good.

If they are going over as missionaries, I would double dog bet you it AINT with mainstream Southern Baptists. For one thing, Jill has no expertise, background, or education for mission work. For another, unless she did it after she married Derrick, she's not a member of a southern baptist church. And lastly, you have to spend months and months raising support and proving you have financial stability with said support before you can become a missionary. You also must prove you are communicating in the language of the area you seek to minister. Another fact is that you have to apply and be accepted with a real mission board if not specifically Southern Baptist. So, they just have not had time to do this at all.

I mention Southern Bapatists because I know that is Derick's background before Jill entered the picture.

Now, if they are going ala Gothard (fundie style missions), then those qualifications can be just thrown right out the window.

If they are going over as missionaries, I would double dog bet you it AINT with mainstream Southern Baptists. For one thing, Jill has no expertise, background, or education for mission work. For another, unless she did it after she married Derrick, she's not a member of a southern baptist church. And lastly, you have to spend months and months raising support and proving you have financial stability with said support before you can become a missionary. You also must prove you are communicating in the language of the area you seek to minister. Another fact is that you have to apply and be accepted with a real mission board if not specifically Southern Baptist. So, they just have not had time to do this at all.

I mention Southern Bapatists because I know that is Derick's background before Jill entered the picture.

Now, if they are going ala Gothard (fundie style missions), then those qualifications can be just thrown right out the window.

Evidence suggests they are members at Cross Church, which is SBC. I agree with the rest of your post. :)

I think Derick is delusionnal. He's not a young, dumb, uneducated fundie like Ben. He has more experience, is educated knows something of the world.

But why did he choose to follow Jom Boob and get involved with one of his daughters with the purpose of quivering with a total stranger? And what about this Israel thing? Derick believes that when the state of Israel will get rid of all the Palestinians and own the holy land, it will be the time of the end of the times. He really believes that. And he wants to experiment the end of the world. So he choosed to name his son Israel.

This is not about fundamentalism. This is about psychiaty.

Quitting his job is just a part of a whole transition into desease and self exclusion. He needs care, and so does his whole family. This is sad.

So basically you think it is okay to cause long(and short) term harm to developing countries so that people can feel better about themselves?

If people are going to go over there just for themselves while giving no shits about how this impacts the lives of the people in the communities where they are traveling, they should at least be honest and not act like they are going to help others. These are real people, with real lives, they aren't objects to be exploited so people can feel good.

Hey now, let's all be cool about this.

I've done work in Leh, India on several occasions (it's right up there close to Nepal) and there are a lot of westerners doing charity/mission work. And while I volunteered my time as a teacher and coach for a few sports without any religious angle what so ever, most people I met there were doing work and spreading the Christian word. The one thing that was pretty clear to me, was most were there with honest intentions of helping people.

I can't imagine them being stupid enough to take a baby to Nepal especially considering Jill may already be pregnant again. Of course, they have proved to be idiots on numerous occasions but considering the need for medical care in Nepal and Jill's first pregnancy and birth, they would be really taking a risk. I don't know what I think they are doing but, chances are, it isn't grounded in any sort of concern for long-term reality.

I can't imagine them being stupid enough to take a baby to Nepal especially considering Jill may already be pregnant again. Of course, they have proved to be idiots on numerous occasions but considering the need for medical care in Nepal and Jill's first pregnancy and birth, they would be really taking a risk. I don't know what I think they are doing but, chances are, it isn't grounded in any sort of concern for long-term reality.

Why would it be stupid to bring a baby to Nepal? Nepal is great.

Archived